Okay that sounds pretty fucking good. How did Nintendo manage to suck SE's dick into making them an actual game?

Okay that sounds pretty fucking good. How did Nintendo manage to suck SE's dick into making them an actual game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tdzB2-L7roU&list=PL-TSN1JqlGvonhE0XW-4lMt6_mbswoh3f
youtube.com/watch?v=IUhrq_ikpHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

se need money to pay for xv

SE was doing interesting things for Ninty already with Bravely Default/Second - both flawed, but interesting takes on classic RPG mechanics and shit. Considering how bad XV was, it's SE's smaller endeavors that have been good.

I'm looking forward to Octopath myself.

The writing is also fantastic so far, which wasn't even the case for SE's other recent great smaller projects like Bravely. I don't know what happened, but I'm grateful.

I wonder if a certain -kun will get mad at this game

The writing in bravely was far far above what 15 got.

Sure, but it went full retard in many instances in both Default and Second. Of course that could happen in Octopath Traveler too, but the demo left me hopeful.

>NO PS4
>NO BUY

>pixelshit

Really pushing the Switch hardware I see.

2018 GOTY

this game gives me such a boner

Yeah really hoping this is a call back to FFIV-IX years in terms of writing, music, themes, and world building. Really hope this game does insanely well, making it a driving force behind Switch sales, a Smash character or two, amiibos for the figure collectors. I just want SE to go back to the glory days. As naive as I know all this is.

When are we going to see more of the qt White mage girl?

seems to me they green lit project octopath without having a publishing deal and nintendo ended up with the exclusivity

>somehow makes you care for her in half an hour
>it's not even because she's hot since the artstyle is 16-bit era sprites
Allure working a little too well there.

>FFIV-IX years in terms of writing, music, themes, and world building

I am selling my PS4 and buying a Switch if this game manages to capture even a twinkle of that magic.

here i am!11
jokes aside, i turned this game on and the mess of filters that the geniuses behind this game added made me want to vomit

Liked the demo a lot. My only complaint is that the world is the same in both stories, like the NPCs say the exact same things and give the same sidequests etc.
It might seem unreasonable to want them to essentially make 8 games, but I'd rather the stories be shorter and unique than just all basically one same game with a different starting point.

Post your favorite song from the demo let's go.

youtube.com/watch?v=tdzB2-L7roU&list=PL-TSN1JqlGvonhE0XW-4lMt6_mbswoh3f

This is mine for sure the main theme is so good it's got this great cross between Crystal Chronicles Flutes, FF:Tactics Drums, and FFIX's more playful upbeat music. It also reminds me a lot of Grandia.

Also what do we know about a release? I just need a great RPG in my life again.

I'm cautiously hyped for this game. I really hope it turns out well. I have been waiting for a classic jrpg like this for well over 10 years now, but SE always disappoints...

I'd say the story itself is pretty fantastic from what was shown in the demo, but the writting itself suffers from the same old staple of "tell, don't show" that's so prevalent in the genre and japanese productions overall.

Even then it's a very, very good prospect.

qt White Mage? What about the qt3.14 tracker/beast master with the tiger.

MY BLADE IS

I hope the full game is good.

UNBENDINGGGGGG

>allure
>she spins and throws a wink
It works on me as well as it does on the NPCs.

I wouldn't say fantastic. It was pretty predictable. The themes that they used were interesting though and had a good hook.

Octopath isn't visually impressive for one so they can put resources into things that actually matter except for combat.

why did they have to make it gay pixel art

There's something about the Bravely battle system that's so satisfying.

Because SE is incredibly lazy.

Either underage or retarded either way drink bleach.

It isn't 1980 anymore hipster.

Nah, it's good to have feelings, remember when SE could do no wrong?
It would be nice to go back

I'd take Olberic for Smash. Don't even care that he'd be another sword-user.

Switch hardware limitations.

It's a call-back to the old snes jrpgs.

I'm having trouble seeing how they're going to make this game work properly.

Is it going to be like your standard JRPG where when you meet a new character, you go through their story arc and solve their problems, then move onto the next town with the next character and arc? The gimmick being you can do it in any order. Though I could see enemy balancing being an issue.

Or do you just pick your starting character and solve their story arc, and then pick up the other characters along the way just to build a party (and ignoring their story arcs). And the only way to experience everyone's story arcs is to keep restarting the game? This seems like the more boring option.

Will there be an arc when you have all characters gathered? I can only see this working if they do the former option. The latter option where you restart your save would have issues.

This isn't some fighting game like Melty or UNI. The pixel sprites barely have 3 frames of animation in combat.

It is to me.
The choice of static sprites with a heavy focus on effects instead of animations make possible for more random interactions like dueling with pretty much any NPC or calling them to combat with Allure.

Beating that kid's mother to ash in a duel was fucking priceless.

Going purely by the demo it seems like the latter, which is obviously disappointing but they're probably limited with how much they can do.

Having focus on effects is fine, but it's 2D on a 3D world. The characters are literally flat to everything else as if they don't belong when they could have just kept it a normal 2D world.

I thought they said that all of the characters' stories were entwined somehow.

Hopefully it's like FFVI where party splits, meets etc and you need to do them all

>mfw she told Helgenish to go fuck himself
She went from great to amazing in that instant

Whose blade is unbending here?

I have similar worries. I don't think it was clarified how that will work yet.

My guess is that it will be done in one of two ways:
Somewhat simultaneously, where you'll need to go through each character's prologue to be able to recruit them, making pretty much the entire cast optional. That way you could go through their story lines like a long side quest, at your pace.
The problem is how they'd handle saves, but there's probably a way to make it work.

Or they could also do all the stories shorter and self contained, but that would not be conducive to recruiting all the character.
If done this way, it would be likely that they'd limit which heroes intersect with each other, but the focus would remain on the one you chose.
Essentialy you'd have to go through 8 playthroughs to see everything, instead of 8 prologues and 7 major "sidequests".

This is my best guess.

If that world is 3D, it's very convincing, at least to me. I'm more than happy with it.

The real issue I have is how the 2D sprited are "animated" in a way that the stretching and tearing is way too distracting. Specialy the tearing.
I hope they refine that in the final product.

Judging by the end of the demo it seems like Olberic and Primrose meet up somewhere along the road. If I were to take a guess it would work out as.
>Play character arc as far as you like
>Character A meets, character B along the road.
>At meet up given the option to play character B's arc to that point as they retell their tale to Character A.
>If you choose no Character B is level boosted to Character A's level and given equipment appropriate for the current area.
>Repeat for characters C and D.
>Character's A,B,C,D reach a midway point where they choose to rest
>The game now requires you to play through Character E,F,G,H respective half of the story following the same rules as before (Pick a character they are the primary, choice to play through met character's arcs.
>All eight characters hit the same midway point where they meet up.
>Unite under common goal this marks the halfway point of the game and you play the rest of the game swapping characters in and out of a single central party until the end.

That's at least how I would like it to play out. If people want to grind all the arcs and like outside story, world building, and exposition they have that option. If people just want to experience one or two character's stories they have that option as well.

The game doesn't even have a name yet, so there's plenty of time to fix everything.

There are problems with that way of doing it.

First, it becomes hard to make their meet up meaningful. In the demo you just meet Prim and she joins you without even saying a word.
That might just be the demo, but how could they work around that if the characters have their own journeys to go on? How to determine where they meet and the circunstance of their meeting beyond just clicking and joining them?

That's why I think it's likely that all the characters are optional party members or at least their prologues and finales are completely modular in a sense that remains completely optional.

Either way it makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to have entirely separate compaigns or a smaller, but more structured roster.
I hope they surprise me and tie it together in an unexpected way.

>the writting itself suffers from the same old staple of "tell, don't show"
Examples?

Although "gay pixel art" is definitely not way I would put it, I do think that if they wanted to go with sprites they could have tried a little harder. They were capable of making amazing sprites in the past, pic related. Why they chose to go with a completely bare-bones style is beyond me.

Seriously, Primrose may be the GOAT female gaming protagonist, she’s amazing.

It's nice when games actually make villains that are actually delightful to hate/defeat, isn't it?

I still haven't played the sword guy yet.

The post game content is the best.

I never did beat the Blacksmith guy in the first town.

Right at the beginning of Olberic's story when he's reminiscing about his old life and keeps telling you (mentaly) what happened and how he feels about it for several minutes.

A lot of that information was better conveyed or implied during moments like that cutscene of when his king was murdered or his reaction when he sees Gaston's sword and frankly some of it could very well be kept untold.

But don't get me wrond. It's not all bad.Not at all.
Moments like those are great at stablishing his character. It's just that it feels contrived when he monologues about them instead of leting the players reach that conclusion themselves.

I should also add that Primrose's story did better in this regard. Probably because it was a lot shorter and more focused on the narrative of current events as well as past ones.

Overall the story is still very intriguing and I'm completely invested in it.

It rewards both defensive and all out playstyles.

>Or do you just pick your starting character and solve their story arc, and then pick up the other characters along the way just to build a party (and ignoring their story arcs).
I am sure we'll still get story arcs related to recruiting them. Even if no such events were part of the demo itself, it kind of hinted strongly at it.

And if we're lucky the way you actually recruit the characters, will even differ depending on who your protagonist is.
But then you still have to actually start a new game and pick them as your protagonist in order to get their full story.

youtube.com/watch?v=IUhrq_ikpHU

>When the piano kicks in

Noice

What content is there? I finished the main story, went to the desert town and did some more stuff but I keep feeling like there's a secret dungeon I'm missing or something.

the latter is the SaGa Frontier approach, and it was perfect that way. There were familiar elements the scenarios shared while also having at least one unique twist for each one that kept things fresh. Even when I was close to finishing a route I was already looking forward to the next one.

That's what the devs should aspire to. A "do everything in one run" approach sounds boring.

There is a Halberd that you can get completing a quest and or use the overworld abilities.
There is an Assassin's Dagger that you can get by completing a quest and or use the overworld abilities.
And then finally, to the far, far east of the map there is a secret dungeon. You'll know when you've found it. The game makes it pretty clear.

The post game content is quite honestly tougher than Primrose's and Olberic's respective prologue bosses.

At least he could potentially have a spear/halberd as well

>That's what the devs should aspire to. A "do everything in one run" approach sounds boring.

That sounds sensible, but if they structure it in very distinct paths, wouldn't be less opportunity for meaningful interactions between the characters? That's the real issue with that approach.

Frankly, if yhey don't come up with a better solution I'd rather they did a bunch of entirely separate, shorter compaigns.
Or maybe the entwine is between certain characters only, like pairs.

I just don't want every other character aside from the one I chose to be a dead bot with no reason whatsoever to be on my party, specialy considering knowing they have have their own plotlines and motivations.

Oh wait, I did find the secret dungeon. I just spoke to the guy and assumed "ah, I guess this isn't in the demo" and then walked off like a retard rather than doing the obvious course of action in hindsight.

So do we have info on what other characters skills might be?

Look up the classes in Bravely Default if you want to cheat.

I feel like the demo was a demonstration of the battle system and visuals alone. I imagine the reason it's taking so long to develop is because they still need to put in how you meet the characters and how that plays out.

My personal worry is that the world will be too small. There was, what, just one area separating Olberic's town and the desert? If there's only one area between each key town, it's going to either be a short game, or a very long game with a lot of back tracking.

They didn't suck diddly.
The Switch's weaker graphical power is a blessing in disguise, because it gives developers an excuse for why they develop lower budget AA games and have to focus on content to sell games.

If you pitched Octopath as a game for PS4, you'd get one of two responses from Square Enix corporate:
>Why don't we make it a gacha game for mobile! that'll make more money
>Why don't we make it a more realistic JRPG with action gameplay, that'll yield higher gross margins if we sell it well!

The Switch forces Publishers to devote a lower budget since graphical power won't be able to reach hyper-realistic levels that the Xbone and PS4 really strive towards. This in turn lets the developers take more risks and argue that better content and style is their main selling point

Its visually impressive in its style rather than its fidelity.
That could be the tagline for the Switch as a whole honestly

Did they release that survey yet?

The bounce in this song reminds me a lot of the old Final Fantasy battle themes. This is amazing.

>All this mental gymnastic for a mediocre looking game
You people are hopeless.
They're not pulling out the big guns with a C team on a new IP in a market where your audience doesn't really care about literal whos franchises, that's all there is to it, that's also why stuff like Lost Spheal has a shoestring budget, because they're not guaranteed hits, they're fishing for potential fanbases and little else.

Not that guy but AA > AAA.

Who said big guns.
All I said was that it lets their developers get a moderate amount of funding while still taking risks.

Rather than getting 10 years worth of funding and constantly re-designing because the investment crosses a threshold where there's no room for underperforming sales.

>AA
>Octopath

>Monster Hunter XX
>DQ 11
>Mario & Rabbids
>Disagea 5
>Xenoblade 2
>Octopath Traveler
>SMT V
>New Tales of
>Fire Emblem 2018
>Core Pokemon Game

The Switch's RPG lineup is looking strong as fuck.

Now if we could just get a proper Paper Mario...

It's Bravely Default 3. We're not talking top-tier but it also isn't some little project they left the interns to make.

>it also isn't some little project they left the interns to make.
It pretty much is.
I don't really understand why you people have problems with this.

I never thought about it like that.

God, I hope this first wave of JRPG games does well so that we'll get more of them. If I recall correctly, Disgaea 5 on the Switch outsold the PS4 game, didn't it? That's a good sign.

The production value is evident.
It's rare to see indies with a soundtrack of that caliber, but even if you do you'll never see one with that amount of high quality voice acting.

Now to watch its natural life cycle.

>Octopath starts getting sequels
>They get increasingly popular
>Eventually become multiplatform
>"Hmm, with this increased audience and more powerful machines, maybe we should up the graphics"
>"And maybe switch to a more proper action style of gameplay so people don't get bored!"
>A decade passes

>"Hey Sup Forums remember when Octopath was good?"
>"Octopath was never good"

At least we get to enjoy it for ten years.

>Now to watch its natural life cycle.
Let me remind you that the only franchise who can be accused of that is Final Fantasy, and in fact FF was never good.

VI was good.

Because you're making a statement without a lot of evidence or reasoning to back it up

I guess the tone will be set by if Xenoblade does well with non-Weeb/otaku

>because you're making a statement without a lot of evidence
I guess the game itself is not enough of an evidence to you, is it?

>master...go pleasure yourself

But that's cyclical logic
>the game is a low indie budget because the game

It's a stupid argument when we already know part of the BD team is working on it, not some no-names.
Just because it uses sprites doesn't mean anything.

still oppressively average.

>>the game is a low indie budget because the game
The game has a low indie budget because that's exactly what it is, using tinyass sprites with just a few frames of animations, lowpoli environments masked with terrible AA and tons of cheap filters, and a general gameplay that isn't anything more than an average JRPG.

And again, I don't see where's the problem in that, are you ashamed a game you like has nonexistent budget? You don't play the budget, you're playing the game, as long as you enjoy the game the budget is completely irrelevant.

>anything more than an average JRPG.
the average 6th gen JRPG was more complicated.

Sure, but I don't think anyone thought Octopath was going to be anything else than a casual, run of the mill JRPG.
I hope so at least.

You'd be surprised these days.

Shadow Hearts 4 when?