Buyers Remorse

Don't get me wrong I love my Switch, but if I could go back in time and buy a PS4 Pro over a Switch two months after release then I would.

I'm looking at the catalog of games and while Zelda, Odyssey, MK8:D and Skyrim are fun I'd much rather be playing Nier, Uncharted 4, Dying Light, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, RES: 7, Until Dawn with the family, etc.

I sort of came to the realization that within video games I prefer an interactive character driven narrative that explores the human condition over things like fun gameplay and honestly that makes the PS4 the perfect console. If I wanted to spend my time mastering mechanics I'd devote it to an e-sport that I can actually make money from. Zelda and Mario were fun but I'm left thinking, what did I actually take from these games? They were games that I enjoyed playing and then felt completely empty about 5 minutes later, whereas on my PS3 games like Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us are close to my heart to this very day. The Switch's potential as a good party console isn't lost on me though, once a Mario Party game and Sma5h drops I'm sure i'll come around, but I wish I knew what I wanted from the beginning.

So what purchases would you take back if you could?

Other urls found in this thread:

gotypicks.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump cause I want to see Sup Forums autism

>prefer an interactive character driven narrative that explores the human condition over things like fun gameplay

Despite how much there is wrong with this I can't disagree that Smash 5 and Mario Party announcements would take the system to another level.

Pre-ordered this and found out about the transactions too late to cancel.

>early adopter's remorse
Every time. Suck it up, you paid for it.

Why the fuck would you not keep up with a game you pre-ordered?

Why the fuck would you pre-order something from EA?

Watch a movie and fuck off, faggot. Theres a superior film counter part to every shitty story Sony could come up with. Movies games can't compare to an actual film. Obviously you don't enjoy video games.

>Pre-ordered this

ps4 have bloodborne that's it, regret purchasing Nioh because it fucking came out on the pc.

The "read a book" or "watch a movie" argument isn't a fair comparison. Not only is there no consumer agency but even in good games that are considered "linear" by gameplayfags such as yourself, there are so many interactive non combat facets that differentiate them from other types of consumable media. Even something as simple as an inventory screen.

Take Planescape Torment for example, there are entire puzzles and questlines you acquire and finish using your inventory and text boxes, like the easily-missed triangle puzzle thing in the mortuary, Dak's circle of Zerthimon or the evil grimoire you find on a wererat under the city.

If you consider gameplay the cake and everything else the frosting then you are truly a soulless being.

>PS4 Pro

But why? Chances are, if you're here, you probably don't even like any AAA games that would actually use the extra horsepower. Save yourself about $150 and just get a vanilla or slim PS4.

>OP lists games he would rather have that switch can't run
>doesn't say he hates switch
>Sup Forums goes insane at the thought everyone has

id assume youre talking about Nier. Only a Nier fan would talk about a game like that.

While you're full of shit about those PS4 games being good, I do agree with you that the Switch is not worth buying as of yet. I'm waiting on some more games especially 2D Metroid 5, a revision that gives out a better longer lasting battery, a better dock and kickstand, and replaces the Tegra X1 chip with the Tegra X2. The last thing I'm waiting for is for Nintendo to add all most of the NES, GB, SNES, and GBA library to their online service so I can play Metroid 1-4 again on the Switch.

I feel the same way OP. I bought a Switch for Odyssey and Zelda and now that I'm finished with those games I've realized they don't leave much of a lasting impression. That "empty" feeling is because Nintendo failed to make a memorable game. You beat the main story and then thats it, time to move on with your life.

Okay.

I remorse not buying two. I want to stay on 3.0 but I want to play Xenoblade, but I also want to wait for a new hardware revision before buying a new one.

Shit sucks.

>You beat the main story and then thats it, time to move on with your life.

Isn't that every nintendo game? I've never beaten a nintendo game and then wanted to replay it or relive it.

>If I wanted to spend my time mastering mechanics I'd devote it to an e-sport that I can actually make money from
Why don't you become a speedrunner on Twitch?

This is really the first time EA has let people down like this though.

Exactly why the Switch should function primarily as a party console. Nintendo does not do narratives well if at all. Once we get Smash 5, Mario Party with MK and a couple other IP's made with groups in mind the Switch will justify it's success.

Bring your own controller parties will be a common thing here in the States.

>buyers remorse
Sounds more like poorfag tears.

Both sound good though.

>Yakuza 0 a full 60fps experience on the pro

Nah, Pro or bust.

>I prefer an interactive character driven narrative that explores the human condition over things like fun gameplay
Well at least you admit you have poor taste and are not actually a fan of video games.

>You beat the main story and then thats it, time to move on with your life.
Are you serious? Odyssey and BotW focus on the post game to the point where you could say its to their detriment.

>portable console
>only brings controllers

I assume they are playing Smash or Mario Kart together on a TV, which only requires one console. Why would the other people need to bring the tablet portion of their Switches?

BOTW literally has no post-game though. You beat the game and the credits role, then it takes you to the last saved checkpoint.

I've found every shrine, got the original botw armor set, and i'm not gonna bother with these shitty side quest where I fetch blue snails and lightning bugs for 50 rupees, let alone find 900 korok seeds when my inventory is already stacked there's nothing interesting left for me to kill.

>but if I could go back in time and buy a PS4 Pro over a Switch two months after release then I would.
I haven't bought either because I know I would immediately get buyer's remorse. I can count the games I care about for both systems on one hand.
>gravity rush 2
>smt 5
Woah what a killer lineup.

>while I like the console that’s been out for less than a year, the library of the one that’s been out for years is better

Hmmmmmmmm.

Fuck post game

Zelda has no post game and Mario's post game is nothing but rehashed content from the main game

It's just as unfair to use the best story-driven game of all time that makes everything else look like a withered husk in comparison and pretend that there is even the slightest hope of any other game ever approaching its greatness, all the while the industry trends towards ripping off as much as they can from cinema and adding interactive elements as an afterthought as we stray further and further from what makes a story-driven game good to begin with.

Also you're a faggot, the best games are the ones gameplay first.

>the best games are the ones gameplay first.

Lets put this to the test then. He listed a phenomenal game in Planescape: Torment where narrative and character development is the driving core.

Can you list a game better than Planescape: Torment where gameplay elements are the driving core? If you can't then you shouldn't be arguing that Gameplay > Interactive Narrative.

Because he's a faggot that treasures story over gameplay, even though you can get far better stories out of books and film. But he's too much of a brainlet to understand a film or read a book.

>gameplayfags
>soulless if you consider gameplay the core element of a game
How far have Sup Forums and the games industry in general fallen, when telling someone they like gameplay is considered an insult?

He's a sonyroach. Why are you shocked that he enjoys interactive movies and loathe video games?

>Can you list a game better than Planescape: Torment where gameplay elements are the driving core?

Seriously, fuck off and go watch a movie.

go back and stay there please

How did you find out about transactions too late? They have cause an Internet shitstorm for weeks. Do you live under a rock in the Sahara Desert?

stop being poor

I'm not shocked, but I still want him to fuck off and stop pretending to be a valid critic of video games.

>I prefer an interactive character driven narrative that explores the human condition over things like fun gameplay and honestly that makes the PS4 the perfect console.
Go see a movie. FUCKING reddit

Not him but yesterday is the first time I heard about all the outrage, then again I'm not on social media and spend the majority of my time at work and playing vidya

>The "read a book" or "watch a movie" argument isn't a fair comparison
Yes, yes it is. Both offer richer stories, characters and insightful narratives that Sony or any other video game company could never pull off due to the limits of video game hardware. You don't like gameplay, you said it yourself, so why are playing video games?

Too much of a pea brain to pick up a book? I play Nintendo because they make fun games. When I want story I turn on a movie or read a fucking book like a normal person.

go play chess then you fucking lames if pure gameplay is the only thing you care about, seriously how the fuck can you just sit down and play something without actually connecting to anything, mindless fucking zombies the second you pick up a controller with no care at all meaning or art

>go play chess then you fucking lames if pure gameplay is the only thing you care about
Chess is a flawed game thats been surpassed in complexity and balance hundreds of times over.
We have multi thousand year old texts that are more relevant to the human condition than any ludonarrative you could suggest. The absolute state of interactive storytelling

literally a decade+ irrelevant fgc game that no one will go back to replay, try again.

PS:T is literally a decade+ irrelevant fag game that no one will ever go back to replay, so your point is moot.

>ST
>Invented an entire genre
>Influenced several other genres mechanically and in game design
>Still a relevant example on how to approach competitive game design to this day
>Still has an active local scene in several regions

>PS:T
>An ambitious WRPG that couldn't escape being a watered down version of DnD in spite of its ambition

I don't know if you are baiting or a Sonybro who legitimately prefers crappy cinematics to gameplay. Either way, fuck off.

>go play chess then you fucking lames if pure gameplay is the only thing you care about
Braindead Sonyfag doesn't understand the difference between a board game and a video game.

>seriously how the fuck can you just sit down and play something without actually connecting to anything
How? It's entertainment, it's suppose to be fun. Do you actually sit and turn on a game to experience it's story? With all of the gameplay hindrances that come in between the storytelling?

>mindless fucking zombies the second you pick up a controller with no care at all meaning or art
Keep pretending like you aren't at all a total fucking plebian for looking to shitty Sony games for your dose of storytelling and "art". Every interactive movie game is an inferior form of a book or film that already exist.

Not him, but people around my place like bringing their own 3DSes/Switches to Mario Kart sessions because they like having their own screens and retaining 60fps. Of course, this only really becomes feasible if you have three or more people, each with their own machine.

I probably would have gotten a PS4 instead of a switch, just for Monster Hunter World.

Not because I regret purchasing a switch, but because money's tight and I can't justify buying both right now.

I enjoy both, you insecure bitch :)

2007 - Super Mario Galaxy
2008 - Grand Theft Auto IV
2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010 - Super Mario Galaxy 2
2011 - Batman: Arkham City
2012 - Persona 4 Golden
2013 - The Last of Us
2014 - Bayonetta 2
2015 - Witcher 3
2016 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2017 - Persona 5

For the last 10 years, 8 of the 10 best games of the decade have put narrative in the forefront with good gameplay as a bonus. You can argue Odyssey and BoTW > Persona 5 if you'd wish. You would be wrong. It cannot be denied at this point that story is the crucial element of most successful games.

/thread

Wew get a whiff of this faggot, lads.

>This is peak Sup Forums narrative
You could really use the greeks.

The worst thing about this post is calling Bayonetta 2 game of 2014.

Then I remember is was the only half decent game of that year.

They're hairy, they smell bad and they wanna fuck you up the bum bum.

> I prefer an interactive character driven narrative that explores the human condition over things like fun gameplay
get a pc then, almost all narritive driven games are on pc(unless you actually consider TLOU a good narritive)

>GTA, Uncharted, Batman, The Last of Us, Persona and Witcher 3 are those years' best games
You and IGN really have some poor taste.

Super Mario Galaxy, GTA4, Galaxy 2, Bayonetta 2, and hell you could probably include Arkham City are all games that don't strongly prioritize narrative over how the game plays.

The only games that have a clear focus on narrative are the Uncharted's, Persona's, Last of Us, and Wither 3.

So that's 4-5/11 that focus on how it feels to play the game, and 6-7/11 that focus on the story they're telling.

I've never seen a post so objectively inaccurate. It's impossible to respond to. Where do I start?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't know if I should start by rejecting his premise, his analysis of the listed video games, or maybe just insult his frequently shit taste in games.

DLETE THIS

Why don't poor people just buy more money?

Did you get that pasta from deadgaf or leddit?

best game of 2007 was Bioshock though.

and what are the other two? that's right, they are mainline Nintendo games.

and with a year like this with no heavy hitting narrative focused games, the bias towards Nintendo will take it again.

skyrim was the goty 2011 stop pandering to Sup Forums
Also Persona is for virgins and losers

Eeh, I'll give you Bayonetta but GTA IV would be shit without the side characters and the progression we see from Niko. Without all that it would still be fun, but not really good.

>I prefer an interactive character driven narrative that explores the human condition over things like fun gameplay

Actually, this site is the most accurate gauge for GOTY, as each year they compile the games with the most awards. They even list those awards too. So it’s an objectively list of the games that are the lost critically acclaimed each year, the objective GOTY list

gotypicks.blogspot.com/

After Xeno2, comes out, I would say that it's worth getting a switch, provided I can just walk into a store and get one without hassle, but that's not the case now.

>whereas on my PS3 games like Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us are close to my heart to this very day.

I love my PS3 as much as the next guy. But that game is overrated as fuck. I'm having a blast with Alien Isolation PS3 and I've only played Last of Us twice. Very scripted game. Didnd't need a remaster but alas Remasterstation 4.

You realize that list only strengthens his argument?

The best games are ones that do both narrative and gameplay well, but what made me decide it was more gameplay is that the big 'draw' of the game is driving around, shooting things, stealing stuff and enjoying the world. The story was definitely great, but the gameplay is what made it a GTA game.

It's not that the 'gameplay' games don't focus on story at all, just that how they play is as important or more important than the story. You could swap out the story of a GTA game and it would still be a GTA game, but if you swapped out the characters of uncharted it wouldn't be an uncharted game.

I was about to say that, video games are about something more than a political medium, games are an outlet for fun.

Yeah, I just wanted to get rid of the Nintendo games. It’s so strange to think that this might be the first time a Nintendo game is GOTY since 2003. A lot of major publications have already selected BotW as their pick.

Transactions?

>get btfo with facts
>revert to "i literally cant even"

Hillarious that the Witcher has both gameplay and narrative.

Every fucking game has gameplay, shithead. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it not true.

I think switch is getting telltale games with focus on narrative no gameplay included, seems right up your alley.
Damn to see Sony brainwash millions of people with retarded shit like "it's not a game, it's an experience that will stay with your stunted mind" fuck that shit I get it if you like narrative driven game but don't give me shit opinions like
>The Last of Us are close to my heart to this very day
There are better mediums out there that will move your mind and heart far more than what video games offer in terms of narrative right now.

Give me an example.

Witcher 3 has shit gameplay, most notably the combat. The story is ripped from the comics, so it's not even original.

Who says i dont like it?
Besides good gameplay compliments good narrative
It keeps you invested.

>Until Dawn with the family
do normies actually do this?

God I hope you kill yourself. I know you've been thinking about it.

I’m just telling you fucking redundant it is to say a game has gameplay.

You can play half of those ps4 games on a pc

Okay, and Last of Us was a great game that stick with me after it ended.