What's the best 'Isekai' video game?

What's the best 'Isekai' video game?

Other urls found in this thread:

ferretbrain.com/articles/article-128
ferretbrain.com/articles/article-160
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What the fuck does isekai mean you retarded weeaboo faggot.

Answer the question first

Super Mario Bros 2

It's genre of anime where a loser gets stuck in phantasy world, it's the biggest fad of the last 5 years

The Ultima series up till 7.

That sounds straight up escapist bullshit that weebs would love. Anyway, that overrated trash Ultima, and literally any mmo.

Not necessarily a loser, since in most cases he's overpowered as hell.

>only 5-year fad
nigga ZnT is like 11 years ago.
isekai pretty much mean being a nerd thrown into a fantasy world magically or something like it

It wasn't a fad before Sword Art Online, don't even try to pretend like the shit before it made the same impact.

Loser in the real world. One of these shows should have a Chad get thrown into another world and have the entire series about him wanting to get out of the faggy fantasy land.

FFTA

>Loser in the real world
Not necessarily true either, there's a manga series where like 7 schoolkids (who are conveniently also best in the world at everything) get thrown into a fantasy setting. There are some LNs and Mangoes where the whole premise is that a hero is a walking encyclopedia book/old-wise as hell guy who got tons of experience with everything and now happens to be reincarnated or thrown into the fantasy world.

well Kazuma was a NEET loser but still want to get out of the faggy fantasy land he's stuck in because he died.

YU-NO

Real life.

>EOP proves yet again he doesn't know anything about Isekai
I love this.

So it's either loser or Gary Stu?
Sounds lame desu.

Isekai is never about main character, he's flat as a board. Even in cases where he's more prominent he still acts as a self insert. Isekai is about world-building or, in case if character is gary stue, world-building based on character interactions with his power.

More like self insert fanfiction garbage. Japs love that shit. Case in point is pic related.

Yamcha in DB dies and some faggot from the real world also dies and gets reborn as Yamcha. He goes around knowing the future and making himself op as fuck.

This 'now' official doujinshi would be absolute shit without the artwork

>compare ZnT to Isekai
Kys faggot

Reminder that he really wanted to live.

underwater ray romano

>ZnT
>not isekai

F

Final Fantasy Tactics.
Like, it's the very definition of isekai.

Has isekai topped urban fantasy for being the worst sub-genre in YA fiction?

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series

>Being proud that you like the worst genre
Pathetic.

Maybe Tactics Advance?

Dude, the OP is literally from Zero no Tsukaima, from 2006. The same point in time we got Fate Stay Night, Shakugan no Shana, and whatever the Jap name is for Hayate the Combat Butler.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Why do tropers/Magica fans like Rezero so much?

Technically you're not wrong in your answer

I would really dig an anime version of "I Hate Fairyland"

What’s “I hate Fairyland”? Some stupid AVGN clone’s Youtube video?

No asswipe, it's a comic about a girl who gets sucked into a lala happyland, can't get out, and hasn't physically aged for 54 years.

Never heard of it. Is it a webcomic? Because if so, you’re a troper and need to be purged.

It just got in a decade before it became a trend.

They’ve been a trend since the turn of the millennium, idiot. Dot Hack, FSN and even SAO were products of the early 00s.

>having knowledge means you like something
Careful with those logic leaps EOP

All of those series take place in our world, not an isekai you dumbshit.

Does .hack really count since people just log into an MMO and aren't really trapped there?

Thanks for telling us you don't know what isekai is.

It literally means other world you stupid fuck. Dot hack and SAO are about mmos, not other worlds. FSN literally takes place in modern day japan. Holy jesus christ you are stupid.

Isekai has always been popular user... remember El Hazard? Those Who hunt Elves? Monster Rancher? Digimon?

pokemon mystery dungeon red rescue team

ragnarok online
just play the classic(non-renewal) in a decent, populated private server

I’ve heard people define Dot Hack as Harry Potter 7, but as an MMO. So I assumed it was also a “trapped-in-an-MMO” setting. Or is that just Dot Hack Sign?

Just Sign, I think.
The Original 4 games and GU are about trying to stop people from falling into comas from computer viruses, but you do briefly get trapped in the game and can't log out in the early parts of Volume 2 of GU. Not sure about the other games/anime/manga/whatever, though

“Another World” is a deceptively broad term, jackass. MMO setting may not be traps of the physical, but they’re still mental exiles of normal people into a fantasy world. And escapable otherworlds can still be isekai, as proven with Inuyasha. Heck, you could probably classify Hero’s Journey stories in general as Isekais. Star Wars, The Matrix, Total Recall, TRON...

An MMO world is also another world. If there isn't free travel between the worlds, it's isekai. I don't consider stories with free travel between worlds to be isekai.

I've also only seen .hack//Sign. It's maybe an isekai, but I think it's a bit borderline, if at all.

Is Harry Potter a real isekai or is it only a pseudo isekai?

Is Marche the best isekai protagonist?

I heard that Ragnarok Online was the main inspiration source for SAO. Is that true?

>remember El Hazard? Those Who hunt Elves?

No?

At least he did nothing wrong.

>One of these shows should have a Chad get thrown into another world and have the entire series about him wanting to get out of the faggy fantasy land.
Literally Tactics Advance, Marche was so fucking alpha he crushed his little brother, waifu and virgin best friend's dreams because fuck living in a gay ass fantasy world.

Probably pseudo-isekai. Though the books eventually start going up their own ass at around the fourth or fifth book.

Read this:
ferretbrain.com/articles/article-128

Fuck, wrong article:

ferretbrain.com/articles/article-160

lmao why is Harry Potter so shit after book 3?

He is literally God's messenger.

Stopped being a book and started being a phenomenon. See also: Capeshit

no idea, but RO has been around since 2002 and was very popular so it's possible i guess

Why is Now And Then Here And There the only good isekai?

as just like these days none of those shows were any good
except for Zipzang

That was an interesting read. The comments section also had some nice perspectives.

There are probably other good isekai too.

>Sword Art Online
It isn't an "isekai" per se. Since it is a guy playing video games. Not some other force taking him to another world.
Otherwise, .hack//sign fits your description too.

Does FFX count?

>It's genre of anime where a loser gets stuck in phantasy world

I wish this would happen to me

Tron and Matrix, yes

I'd say so.

No, since the zanarkand tidus comes from exist in the same time as the whole game transpire.

I really need to play that game sometime. All I've ever known about it for like 8 years can be defined by the phrase "FINAL FANTASY VIII SUCKS AND YOU SUCK FOR LIKING IT!!!"

Correct, same time and universe. It's literally an island out in the sea protected by Sin.

I meant "correction". Fuck.

Their experience window and person is trapped in another world. Just because their bodies remain somewhere else doesn't make it not isekai. Going in this direction is like saying Corrector Yui isn't a mahou shoujo because her magic is actually a digital construct. Or actually it may be even less accurate.

.hack//Sign is very different from Sword Art Online in how it uses its alterantive world and how the story is structurd, which makes it possible to argue that one is isekai and the other is not. .hack//Sign has only one character being stuck, while the others freely can travel between the different worlds, so I think it may be seen as a story about a person who is trapped relative to the freedom that's to be expected from most people in the identical setting. And this may make it a non-isekai.

Garzey's Wing is the primo kino Isekai

There was influential Isekai all the way back to the fucking 80s. Dunbine spawned an entire franchise due to its popularity.

I see what you mean. You have a point.

> .hack//Sign has only one character being stuck
If you play the games, watch the OVA from the games and watch sign, then you learn there are hundreds if not more stuck in the game, including Kite's friend, Yasuhiko (Orca).

But on the other hand, it is only the first part of SAO that consists of the main character at least being stuck in another world. After that part, he is free to do what he wants.
I haven't seen the second season though, since the second part of season 1 was so boring.

...Eh, at least it's a better ironic pleasure than Boku no Pico or Saya no Uta.

No, it's a physical comic, from Image.

>Dunbine spawned an entire franchise
>muh great man history

I'm not actually sure if "being stuck" is something that's a defining part of the genre, though. .hack//Sign has characters from a completely different world interacting and living in another world, and that may be the more important part.
When I think about Soreyuke! Uchuu Senkan Yamamoto Yohko, that feels like a proper isekai, even though they can travel back and forth with relative ease frequently. But when I think about Digimon Adventure 02, that feels much less like a real isekai to me, even though it's similar in concept to Yamamoto Yohko. So there has to be something else there. But I can't put my finger on it.

>If you can dig up enough textual evidence to support a Neville/Luna tendre then it has the potential to be there.
>Although why you'd want it to be eludes me.
Grrrrrrr...

True. I guess when it comes to shows that involves digital involvement and with the ability to move between worlds you can argue for a long time.
I'd put them into a gray zone.

NOX!