Is he right Sup Forums?

Is he right Sup Forums?

Already paying $80 here in Canada. Fuck off.

In 1997 almost every house in the US didn't have a console. Gaming got a lot bigger and more accessible and now they are selling many times over the amount of copies they sold in 1997. I hope I cleared that up for you.

>muh inflation meme
Is he also factoring the fact that the games in general sell much more copies now compared to the old days?

Games have higher budgets too though

>that stick controller
jesus christ how horrifying

That's because Canada bux are fucked

DLC didn't happen because companies were losing money, it happened because they're greedy.

>muh retard defending corporations meme

>Reg Price $54.99
>$47.99 AFTER COUPON

What a fucking retard.

Game devs and publishers know that people will not pay 75$ for video games in America.

>literally who
>social media
>obvious ignorance
BY OUR POWERS COMBINED

and do you know that shareholders demand profit to increase each year? we live in a time where 5 million sales is deemed a dissapointment in the AAA world.

He forgot to factor in the fact that games have shittier cases, no manuals, etc.

>games should cost $75 instead of the $60 they sell for
>that's why developers put $2000 worth of microtransactions and day one DLC in the game

Yes

This, what was a good idea went to retarded extremes. Expansions with actual content turned to DLC chunks of content to this current model of on disc DLC being sold as content.

what about digital games?
Where's their shitty excuse?

I would if it was good, didn't have micro transactions, and released free content after launch (free dlc) like GTAV online.

I do agree that not all games should cost a flat $60, but that means many games should also go below that mark. Look at The Witcher 3. Even if you're a contrarian turboqueer you can still recognize the amount of content put into the game. That game cost $60. Now look at No Man's Buy. This barren piece of shit was some indie trash that normies hyped up for some odd reason. Literally Nothing: The Game. It also cost $60. That was a $20 early access game sold that sold for $60 because people loving pushing that fucking standard for some reason. It has to stop.

No, he's a retard. The games business is just more mainstream and conglomerated now and is run in large part by Hollywood types who just want to turn a profit and scrupulously don't give a fuck how that happens nor care about quality.

>Beta male shit stain leaving out the fact that 90% of a game's budget goes into marketing.

Digital is just a scam by jews who are the ones that save money while not lowering the price like promised and predicted.

It's not my fault AAA studios have inflated staff and marketing budgets. If they can't cut it then they should either restructure or die

The game industry could use a reform back to AA titles being the norm IMO

>why yes stupid goyim, video games are way too cheap these days, we have to find other channels to rip you off on top of the $60

This judenschwein kikepigjewswine deliberately likes to forget to mention the fact that these days the video games industry is making more money than the book industry, the music industry and the movie industry COMBINED.

>It's a twitter literal who episode

With digital being the standard now? No fucking chance.

And why is that? Because they can, because those "poor" publishers know they can put as much as they want and they will get that money back and more.
Fuck off with this faggotry

If AAA costs were actually for game development it would be reasonable, but seeing how the vast majority of increasing costs for AAA games are for marketing and licensing costs then they're clearly banking on selling to as many people as possible. So no, it's not reasonable to increase game costs from both the consumer's perspective and the business perspective. Microtransactions and DLC are just an attempt to suck as much money as possible out of the few people who are dumb enough to cough up too much money and soon any marketing campaign's purpose will be to find as many of those people as possible.

>that's why developers put $2000 worth of microtransactions and day one DLC in the game
that way, 1 whale can make up for 50 'regular' consumers who either don't bother or wait for a complete edition down the line.
It's apparently the solution they have deemed most likely to not upset the average consumer.

What solution would you prefer?
>smaller scale games for the same price
>same scale games for larger price
>same scale games + in game transactions
>(fill in yourself)

>Game costs 47 dollars in 1996
>Flyer he posted clearly says "After Coupon" under every game

There is no good reason for publishers to be dumping so much money into a games budget in the first place. Indie games are able to move shitloads of units these days and have a fraction of the budget by comparison. It shouldn’t be too hard to strike a balance between the two extremes and keep everyone satisfied.

prices for producing physical games and digitally distributing games has gone down dramatically, publishers are getting more of that $60 than ever before. If anything games should come down in price.

That's not how inflation works. The reason a toy goes up in price is because of the PHYSICAL GOODS it's made of go up in cost along with FACTORIES. Things like increased cost of fuel, increased cost of plastics and so on.

Games are not subject to these inflation factors since they are just a bunch of code and digital assets. So the idea that games should cost more is nonsense. Yes cost of living went up and yes that will increase budgets to an extent but it doesn't mean today's games should cost $80-90. The actual physical cost of cart technology was also more expensive than discs we use now. That's why some more advanced cartridges like Neo Geo games were insanely expensive, same for other games with special cartridges that made them cost $10-15 more than everything else.

>numale smug cartoon avatar

Just make games 75 dollars then and remove the dlc that ends up being far more than that.

no because there are WAY more people buying games in general.

>No mans Buy
I always liked One Man’s Lie better.

1 or 2, no question

I wouldnt mind higher base cost if it meant no micro transactions and other bullshit.

The problem is that micro transactions is making them more money than they've ever made so why stop?

>i-it's just inflation and development costs bro
>devs gotta eat too you know
Just fucking make your game f2p always online smartphones shit so we can all be done with this backboneless faggotry and "justification".

>COUPON
That just means games should cost even more today when adjusted for inflation (~$86), so his point is even stronger.

no.
Also they can't even bak up how their AAA game even cost so much. The dev and asset creation cost is merely 10% of their budget. They should just slow down on the underaged prostitutes and coke

how about they stop spending as much or more on fucking marketing as they do making the game and then there won't be an issue

there should be a mega whale category.

anyone spending over 100 a month.

>Rainbow Six Siege
>Have to grind to unlock operators or buy them with premium currency
>Business as usual, game is pretty popular

>Battlefront 2
>Have to grind to unlock heroes or buy them with premium currency
>Normies fucking shit their pants and take to the internet, pitchfork in hand

I just don't understand how this sort of strategy is sustainable
>Spend more on marketing than you do on the game itself
>Get to the point where the game's a failure if it doesn't hit a ridiculous number of sales (Dead Space, etc)
>Realize that most AAA games are completely forgotten a few months (sometimes weeks) after release and focus moves onto the next overhyped AAA game
>Milk the consumer for as much as they can (DLC, microtransactions, etc) before that window expires
>Succeed in the short term but piss off your fanbase and run the risk of alienating/driving away consumers (Only 10% or whatever actually buys lootcrates)
Shouldn't every game like this have the chance of utterly ruining the companies? Shouldn't it take one flop like ME Andromeda to put the company under forever? I'm retarded but I don't see how this is a safe line of thinking
Are they really just betting on casuals/normies being completely ignorant and mindlessly buying what's marketed?

>paying more than 20 bucks for a game

>IP nobody gives a shit about
>IP that hundreds of millions of normies love
yeah its completely the same.

>not factoring in digital games

I don't see why the games being even More expensive negates his claim. That just means games would be even More expensive after inflation.

There is serious research that goes into marketing and they wouldn't spend a dollar on marketing without a large change of that dollar being made back with profit because of that very marketing.

ridiculous that he wants to pay more

Next gen the full retail price will bump to $70. Season Passes and MTs won't stop, though, and publishers will still complain games are too expensive.

Games were unique and groundbreaking back then.

Now they're just using already made engines, and modding them.

This faggot didn't even read past the goddamn course description for Econ101

Yeah that's why production costs for games stayed the same for last couple years, digital downloads are mostly the same price as physical ones and games manage to be financially successful without DLC and microtransactions?

Can someone explain how inflation works? Is it mostly just based on what minimum wage is at the time?

Cry more fags. Also pay up.

who even gives a fucking shit about AAA gaming these days. I haven't paid release day price for a game in years.

R6S deserves the same outrage

>dude inflation lmao
Let's also take into the account that the video game market has become larger tenfold than it was in 1996.
How many people would buy a game in 1996 and how many people buy a game in 2017?

>comparing 15 bucks pseudo f2p version of a game made for third worlders to a full priced game
What did user mean by this?

I would be open to devs and publishers setting their own prices if it means no DLC or microtransactions.
I think it would be a good thing as the obvious larger AAA publishers would initially set their prices higher and would be unable to compete with the smaller companies.

You forgot quantitative easing, which is 99% of inflation since the Great Recession.

>but that means many games should also go below that mark
that's already the case user, I can't think of a single indie game that costs over $25-$30

Why are these nobodies so eager to defend game companies reaming their assholes inside out? Is it some sort of self-defense mechanism to assure themselves their constant DLC purchases are justified?

inflation is based on how much money has been printed.

the jewish federal reserve loves to print money at the same time the minimum wage goes up (either before or after) to make sure the minimum wage doesnt harm their businesses very much.

most inflation measures are also heavily flawed since they measure retarded shit like cheeseburger prices which are meaningless since most of the money is owned by the top class and they dont buy fucking mass amounts of cheeseburgers

>Disc
So he's saying that you can't make that comparison at all.

Die

>american education

>mlp

>like GTAV online

you just discredited your statement

gta online is a solely cashgrab, have you seen what their cars cost now? over 2mil. mostly you have to grind a while to get that money ingame or you just buy a sharkcard

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GET IN HERE

Fuck off

Most games back then didn't sell millions in 24 hours either. A bump to 70 would be justifiable but let's not pretend these ass holes aren't making their money back without real money loot crates.

Stop pretending to be retarded

And how much of that goes into shit like marketing?

Kill yourself you ban evading argentinean

This isn't /vp/ so fuck off with your forced epic maymay

It's hard to believe there are people out there with this mindset

what does that have ANYTHING to do with mlp?

>1996
>Had to manufacture discs
>Had to do logistics
>Market was small
>Publisher took a huge cut

>2017
>e-sales
>Can self publish
>Huge market
>Any idiot can fund a game via kickstarter

Games are a business. Devs can make and sell whatever games they want at whichever price they want, if they choose to go AAA and sell at $60, and that is not enough, they only have themselves to blame.

Cost inflation is a thing. Honestly, I'd rather pay a flat price for a game if it meant I didn't have to worry about microtransactions and other fees.

Same goes for consoles. I fucking hate online paywalls. I'd rather pay more upfront then be forced into a monthly sub fee for a service I won't always use

fuck off, this shit doesn't even remember games being upwards of 80!

>Higher budgets.
>For marketing.

This is why AAA games are dying.

it is impossible to know for big studio games. I only pass judgement on smaller titles because i know how much everything costs for a small team. no one ever releases detailed budgets for big studio games.

Sure they do, that's why they offer season passes.

the witness

Sounds like a company problem, not mine.

Have retail games always been $60 in the US?

Every generation since the 6th generation has increased prices by 10 bong bux here.

>It costs 75 bucks to burn a DVD

lol wasteful if true

None. Unless you are self publishing a game the developers budget never pays for marketing or advertising.

>he's seen /vp/'s ebin maymay
lucky you

really thats funny because it seems like if they focused on making actually good games instead of garbage with high marketing budgets they would be far more successful
minecraft had 0 marketing and it's one of the most successful games of all time

>multiplayer focued game with no dedicated servers
>wait for the complete edition
>game is on life support
>servers shut down in a year

You can make any argument you want about how a game has to cost more, but if people aren't willing to pay they aren't willing to pay.

>a dewott is suddenly MLP
???

The logic is completely sound, Sup Forums is just arguing against the sentiment, rather than the facts.

those are CDN prices
NES games were NEVER that fucking high in the US in the 80s

fuck off

Which is $63 USD.