Why cartridge?

Why cartridge?

UMD proved disks on a handheld was an idea best avoided.

cuz they are slow,has low capacity, and cheap.

The PSPGo proved that false.

because spinning discs aren't good for portables

It's easy to lose it.

PSPGo is digital only.

KHHHRRRRRR KHRRRRRRR

Harder to pirate, probably. And now Nintendo, control freaks that they are, can decide how big a game is.

Quoth Lodge Lanning, "Nintendo only does things that are good for Nintendo".

I've recently gotten into PSP games and I'd like to know why.
Is it because the plastic casing around the UMD can get fucked up and make playing the game tougher?
Are there any 3rd-party replacement cases for the small UMD internal discs?

PSPGo indeed just solidified the notion that discs were a mistake.

Discs had their time. PSP was releases in 2005 and UMD provided 1.8GB for cheap. 2GB flash sticks were like $100.

>UMDs are easier to get dirty and scratched, you cannot carry them without a case unlike cartridges
>UMDs require a laser and moving parts which wear and break easier meaning lower life expectancy and failure rate
>playing via UMD severely affects the battery life
>playing via UMD is slower than via cartridge
>playing via UMD generates alot of noise
And those are my remarks as a PSP collector.

Well that makes sense.
I just hate how I've seen PSP games without the plastic casing around them floating about recently, and some of my games even have cracks and issues with the casing.

What's the alternative? Discs? Digital only? Fuck no.

>can decide how big a game is
?

>cartridge
>slow
>cuz

man you nearly had me there

They could've went digital only but thought that it was going to fuck over people with little to no internet connections.

The problem however, means that devs are charging more for games to make up for the costs, and you still have to download the game.

>carts
>slow
>cheap

Wtf is that thing.

If you're using real PSP hardware then prepare for a load of different troubles. The UMD is prone to failure, but so is the screen, shoulder buttons and battery. While I love my PSP, the high maintenance mine has required made me go for a Vita TV instead of a failure-prone handheld.

Cartridges are more portable, and they have faster loading times

Easier to store, harder to damage (especially in transport) smaller, better load times, cost is much less of a factor than it used to be for these advantages.

>they have faster loading times
Meme needs to die. Optical media can be faster than carts.

No, they literally can't.

Are you retarded?

Smaller, longer lasting than CD, less likely to be damaged

>can decide how big a game is
>?
Nintendo can give devs smaller or larger carts to limit how big/small games are.

Why do people use thumbdrives now instead of burning data on DVD-R?

That's entirely the devs decision. The devs order what size carts they need. What are you on about?

>Using thumbdrives
>Not using external hard drives or SSD's

Stop with this shitty bait

They can be faster but have stupid requirements to do so. A system that can be portable though will never meet those requirements due to risk of disc scratch

>They can be faster
No they can't, there is literally no optical media that can beat flash storage in speed.

They will never be faster than carts. They can have faster read speeds but it will never beat cartridge.

Are you retarded or?

never before have i been so glad to own a console where you didnt have to wait fucking ten million years for game installs.

It's literally impossible with current data transfer speeds for disc to beat cart.

The dev decides which cart they use, the only limiting factor is whether they want to spend money on a bigger cart.

cartridges blow discs away

Are you? Smaller the cart, less space it can hold.

That's not the point, you said nintendo can limit them to a smaller cart, but it's the publisher who decides which cart they use.

So you are retarded.

You are actually dumb. The difference between even the best optical and flash storage is like sending a letter vs email.

It's a Nintendo Switch, user.

Pros:
- You can sell games if you don't want to keep them.
- You can lend your games to friends or family easily.
- Cartridge games are cheaper than digital ones for god knows why.
- You can play unpatched release version if you want to if the developers weren't greedy asshats who didn't use the appropriate sized cart.

Cons
- You can lose your game.
- Annoying to switch between games.

so people can trade them into gamestop without their cases and piss people off.

>PSP 1000 was working fine
>Out of nowhere ability to charge just stops working properly.
>Notice a branching path from the charge port etched into the plastic cover which makes me think electricity somehow fried that port.
>Begrudgingly buy a PSP 2000 once that happens.
>Its UMD drive started to fail two years after I got it.
I hate the 2000 as well, I loved how hefty the 1000 was and the UMD mechanism was way better than the one in the 2000. I heard the 3000 is even worse than the 2000 because of the ghosting. Fuck the Go though, cramps galore and I can't use my UMDs at all.

umd should be a non issue on the PSP since there's no point in playing umd games when you can just load everything you want onto your memory stick

That's true now but it wasn't the case back in 2004 and 2005.

Why did you buy the gamegear of handhelds.

they look cute

The dev buys the carts they want. The dev chooses to either optimize to spent less, spend more for a bigger game and potentially pass the cost onto the consumer, spend more and eat the loss, or spend less and force the cost onto the consumer via comparatively enormous patches.

Yeah, just load all your games onto your $120 16GB stick.

That looks like the perfect spot to fall out when jostled or your pet to easily grab it and ruin it.

Maybe you should know the hardware before posting something retarded.

Because fuck UMDs

I should be able to tape my cartridges together so I can switch between clipazines quickly. I mean this is meant to be mobile hardware.

Maybe you should remember what the sticks used to cost when the psp came out.

You're right, that's retarded.
The 1GB card cost almost $60 when it launched.

They actually cost $90-$100 when it came out.

>What is compression?

Providing the data to start the game is not needed to be downloaded.

Not under 3.34 or 3.35

Ds was probably too feminine for anons style...

Not a magic solution.
Not defending what he said because it's retarded, but compression is not the solution, it's almost as retarded as saying a game is not "optimized" because it can't run in underpowered hardware.

To a certain point perhaps but with compression ratio you can get more on the cart.

Or the jew (aka standard) option. Charge the extra while also using the smaller cards that still requires download and horribly optimized.

Monster Hunter Portable in 2005

BECAUSE REMEMBER WHEN WE WERE KIDS AND WE HAD CARTRIDGES AND BLEW IN THEM TO GET THEM TO WORK.

>being so underage you've only played vidya starting at seventh gen