"Videogames will never be a legitimate artform" - Neil Peart

>Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it. That seemed to be a fool's errand, especially given the volume of messages I receive urging me to play this game or that and recant the error of my ways. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, video games cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as I've stated many times, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form.

Was he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AZm1_jtY1SQ
gamerant.com/roger-ebert-games-art-pen-17772/
youtube.com/watch?v=5w3s2T0VBug
youtube.com/watch?v=GW72Gmqjse4
youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U
youtube.com/watch?v=UNilsLf6eW4
youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7cmGyKwek
youtube.com/watch?v=KGsQ5n9Qu0A
archive.is/h9x9a
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

depends on the definition of "art"

but people who get their living by criticizing the works of others are usually useless shits with no talent

I never knew how to say his last name. Does it rhyme with “heart” or does it sound more like “hear”

That's rich coming from someone from fucking Rush. I wonder how many video games he's actually played.

Shut up and play the drum solo of life!

Pert. Similar to hurt.

Thanks

>Videogames will never be a legitimate artfo-

you are retarded

>Twilight Princess
>Dark Souls 3

Trying to turn vidya into art is what is making video games shittier and shittier

Of course he was right.

isn't this faggot the drummer in a butt rock band?

Just another boob on a soapbox spouting off their stapled together idea of art.
The simple truth is that art = illusion. What's the supreme illusion going to be? Probably a video game, since that is the most multi-dimensional all-encompassing form of illusion.

>Naruto
>Twilight fucking Princess
>Half of that anime/manga shit

Lmao. Disgusting to see those things next to actual works of art.

>Boyhood

He was right. It's a bad way to put it, though. Video games are art, they're just bad art.

But having a conversation about it on Sup Forums is pretty pointless considering most of the people here don't even read lit.

No, he was faggot

>leaf has an opinion

>Twilight Princess
>Dark Souls 2
>Shadow of the Colossus
Christ this is awful.

Rush has a lot of great albums. Mostly mediocre though. But damn those select albums tho

I love Rush. I used to listen to them obsessively but Neil is an old Baby Boomer and his only experiences with video games are pac man and pong.

>Dark Souls 2
>Twilight Princess
Wew

Reminder that "games aren't art" is always, always spouted by TV and movie people, because they have the most to lose from video games being considered art. Their medium is also incredibly, inherently, plebeian and shit tier, to a greater degree even than video games.

No one cares about these kikes. Stop posting them.

>implying this wasn't a quote from Egbert or someone

Reminder that at one point Rush literally made an album dedicated to "the genius of Ayn Rand" and unlike the OP, he actually said that shit.

Video games are akin to a symphony
In an orchestra you have a conductor, and in games you have a lead dev; a cellist is a dialogue writer, the violinists are visual designers, the trombonist is the sound designer and so on
Same goes for film, television, etc
It's not 'art' in a classical sense, which is strictly architecture, sculpture, music and painting, but it's art nonetheless
Except AAA games, those are pee pee poo poo

>naruto
>greatest artistic achievements in anime
>implying naruto is art

I'm still going to enjoy them, bitchtits

Good thing the album was great.

youtube.com/watch?v=AZm1_jtY1SQ

can hide and seek be considered art? if not then video games cant too

The bait is off the charts

I know this is shitposting, but I still got rustled

It was Ebert who said that, though.

holohoax propagand?

>TV and movie people
>implying that people who are into art film don't think TV is trash

You obviously don't know shit kid

It wasn't even Neil Peart that made the quote

gamerant.com/roger-ebert-games-art-pen-17772/

But it's fucking true. They're games not art. Is football art? Players cane have a certain artistry in their technique but that doesn't make the gameplay loop, which is just a set of rules, art.

Art is entirely subjective and is pretty much whatever anyone says it is. Video games are art because there are people who believe so. Literal shit on on a canvas is also art.

>Reminder that at one point Rush literally made an album dedicated to "the genius of Ayn Rand"
/ourguys/

Video games are a platform. It's like calling a Canvas art.

>"Video games will be an art form from 1998 when half life is released until Undertale's release in 2015, with a few notable exceptions. But in no case will there be any games that are art once Nier Automata is released, that game will convert the last potential opportunity for art into fapbait."
Fixed

The fact that this shitty bait retorted to insult Tezuka is the most infatuiring thing of all.

I saw Rush live 5 years ago or so, was a pretty great show. The only disappointment is that they didn't play any of Xanadu

It's all garbage, friend. Your medium is the worst and no amount of film festivals will change that.
Also, it's always Hollywood-tier popular (((critics))) like Ebert. No one hears from art film people.
But I don't care about the question intrinsically, I just despise the people who push for "not art" and their medium.

Hey man, could you delete this post?

Basketball is art

Ok.

Woah, I love Rush and I didn't even know this!
/ourguys/ confirmed!

>My art is art, your art is fart

Quick post your favorite Rush song

youtube.com/watch?v=5w3s2T0VBug

>I've never played videogames but let me tell you all about videogames

Why does a musician feel like he can talk about a platform that isn't music? I'd just as quickly get his opinion on the art of scrimshaw.

god I hope not, Art is allowed to be bad

CygnusX-1 used to give me goosebumps.

Go play Street Fighter nigger, basketball isn't an art. Football isn't an art. It's a fucking game that anyone can play and the skill with which they play doesn't change the work itself. Can anyone carve the Pieta?

So good that Ritchie Blackmore stole the riff for Kill the King.

youtube.com/watch?v=GW72Gmqjse4

youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

see me in 2k18. My pick and roll is artistry.

youtube.com/watch?v=UNilsLf6eW4

I'm glad he's developing arthritis.

Snakes and arrows will never be a legitimate artform.

Good choice anons

I was about to post this. Nice taste.

His parents wouldn't let him play video games growing up and he grew into a heartless, bitter old man who hates the idea of people having fun that he can't have.

>Dark souls 2
>Rick and Morty

Shit bait.

Top taste.

This is amazingly well crafted bait for Reddit. You should probably head back there to post it though. The rick and morty was too beavy handed a tipoff.

So how many different people had this quote been attributed to at this point?

>Writing will never be a legitimate artform
>Paintings will never be a legitimate artform
>Music will never be a legitimate artform
>Movies will never be a legitimate artform
>Video games will never be a legitimate artform
Whatever the next big art form ends up being after vidya, you can bet your ass some retards are going to claim it's never going to be a legitimate art form.

>It's all garbage, friend.
The fact that you would lump the worst examples of film in with the best means you're either intellectually bankrupt or totally clueless.

Thanks, bros.
Though I'd rather post the entire album really, Working Man is another one of my favorite songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7cmGyKwek

I only want it to be an artform in Germany for legal reasons.
I could not give less of a single, precious, drop of fucks about art.

The Necromancer

Or I just think that the medium itself is inherently awful. Because it is.
Get some taste and stop watching pretty pictures, cretin.

>"Videogames will never be a legitimate artform"
good, i want them to remain games.

I wouldnt want a scripted football match as an art performance, I want competition and skill involved.

youtube.com/watch?v=KGsQ5n9Qu0A

Working man is also GOAT.

Because he felt like he didn't need to in order to understand that video games involve interaction from the player and he felt that alone proved they were never going to be art presumably because he was a massive retard. His argument is instantly destroyed upon realizing there are multiple classical scores that intentionally include moments of silence in order to use the audiences noise. Are these songs any less art than others because they utilize audience interaction? No it's fucking retarded. The same can be said of plays. Are they no longer art the moment they break the fourth wall and interact with an audience member directly getting their input? Again no, no one who watches theater would think that.

It was a childish mindless assumption based on the incorrect idea that all video games were arcade grade toys designed to take money from you.

He's right, but not in the way one thinks. Video games could be art as soon as next week, but due to consumers, it won't. David Cage recently ripped on a Eurogamer writer and basically nails my point very well.

archive.is/h9x9a

In a movie, you can have a premise such as a man's face slowly melting down to the bone as his flesh becomes a thin soup or have a man constantly deliberating over killing his special needs, deformed infant due to how ugly he thinks it is. No one will question it. Domestic abuse plots are insanely popular for movies.

In a novel, you can write in vivid detail about a woman squatting in a field and defecating and you will be seen as the next Tolkien.

In a video game, a woman experiencing domestic abuse is considered a taboo, too much, unnecessary, it's questioned. An artform should be able to push an envelope in any and every direction without being seen as treading too far or it being seen as "wrong."

This.

Videogames aren't art, they're sports.

>Or I just think that the medium itself is inherently awful. Because it is.

Not an argument.

This is an awful argument. First, games include taboo stuff all the time. Second, whether or not a piece of art includes taboo stuff or not doesn't make it art or not (in fact, some of the best art in other mediums doesn't include taboo stuff).

Yeah, that's why I said players can have artistry in a previous post. Just because you do something with artistry doesn't make the thing you're doing art.

Literally me

The only song I've ever listened to may be "Every Rose Has Its Thorns" by Poison, but I can definitely say that music will never be art

And no I will not listen to any of the music you try to claim is art, that seems like a fool's errand.

They both. Depends on the game.

Also, David Cage makes simultaneously the most pretentious and campy video games to possibly ever exist. Something is seriously wrong with you if you find yourself looking to David Cage for wisdom.

Video games have been around for half of a century. Many of the greatest works in the history of film were created within the first 30 years of the invention of technology that allowed for film. What is the Citizen Kane or the La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc of video games? I'll answer for you: there are none. Video games are toys now and always will be. Whenever they try to be "art" they just end up as pretentious imitation movies made by third rate failed movie writers.

>t. modern art student

See: Commiestein 2, Gone Homo, Underfag

Most peoples interpretation of what art is muddies this dicussion up, so for me art is the personal expression of an idea or emotion through a sensory medium like art or music. Key word being personal.

For art to be legitimate high art, it has to be made by a single person so that their view and intent for the medium isnt corrupted by outside influence. What if Beethovens 3rd symphony was actually half written by some german prostitute he was sleeping with that night?

Most videogames arent art in my eyes because most are developed by a team and made for the purpose of commercial success, which defeats the point of art entirely.

Maybe I'm just getting trolled, but it always amazes me how many people unquestioningly believe that quote is attributed to the variety of random famous figures used in this pasta.

how do we know art exists

Doesn't that rule out movies as art? OR music by a full band? Not that I am defending the idea that video games are art.

>For art to be legitimate high art, it has to be made by a single person so that their view and intent for the medium isnt corrupted by outside influence

This is such a fucking retarded and limited definition of art.

protip: whenever anybody talks to another person about their work, their view and intent is "corrupted" by the other person's opinion

Video games have:
>music
>visuals
>creative writing
>storytelling
>Sony games are practically movies

But, no! Video games are not art!
Says who? Some old fucks who are too old to even understand the appeal of video games.

Who are they to say what is and isn't art?
Why is an upside down unicycle, or red and white rectangles or some random colored smears on some abstract fuck heads asshole considered art, but not literally anything in a video game?

An artist is supposed to have a unique and creative vision, do these "critics" see so far outside of the box that they can't see creativity that is right in front of them?

Are artists and critics alike so full of themselves that if they don't put their stamp on the situation, it's not worthy of the title "art"

There are plenty of great creative minds behind video games and to dismiss them simply because you are not into video games, is just petty.

oh another fucking nigger whose world would shatter if some fucking form of entertainment would enter his "domain". Like that fucking cocksucker who said he would neck himself if "esports" would be showed on ESPN. well, why didnt you, you fucking pussy? fucking go ahead and see if anybody cares. Oh by the way, last faggot who said bideo games arent davinchi lost his jaw and died like a bitch