Let's discuss the supreme rougelike game -- enter the gungeon

let's discuss the supreme rougelike game -- enter the gungeon.

Other urls found in this thread:

enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Guns
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that's not FTL

ftl is pretty great, but it doesn't approach the heights that gungeon does in terms of its rougelike elements.

This game is great but I'm too casual to make any progress.

>early floors are slow as fuck
>game actively dissuades you from using your guns on the first few floors
>items and progression and general design all ripped straight from BoI
>most guns are gimmicky meme bullshit instead of actual satisfying good guns

EtG is trash.

>in terms of its rougelike elements.
Please elaborate. This game has barely any actual "roguelike elements."

I thought it was pretty fun for the few hours I played it, but I've been waiting to check it out for the supposed Switch release. They said it was ready to launch like two months ago and not a word since.

So you consider isaac the best of its kind?

I love playing the first two floors over and over again...

>So you consider isaac the best of its kind?
No? Where the fuck did you get that from?

>Bulletsponge: the game

Nah, early and late levels are a fucking chore thanks to that. Plus alot of weapons are very gimmicky, still I like the game but is not the best

>dead on the first month of arrival
>then the twin-stick shooter genre died
nice

i sure hope the update comes the year it's promised in unlike the supply drop

>game actively dissuades you from using your guns on the first few floors
perhaps you could have said that on release. ammo is plentiful now. you're actually getting no benefit -- actually you're not playing optimally -- if you use ur starter over a weapon with limited since you will lose ammo drops to the rat.
>most guns are gimmicky meme bullshit instead of actual satisfying good guns
only somewhat correct if you have barely unlocked any guns. most D tier weapons are really bad but still usable. do you really want all guns to shoot like a generic assault rifle? the "gimmicks" make the gameplay more interesting
wrong. gungeon is the anti-thesis of boi. you don't get super OP like in every boi run nor can you one shot bosses like it's no fucking challenging. also, there's not that many passives unlike in boi.
your only valid criticism is that the early floors can be quite slow -- something that the devs are addressing in an upcoming update, as well as making the game somewhat easier with more resources, more consistent tiered drops as well as quality of life changes. they're making it easier for scrubs such as yourself so you can finally get to the dragun.

That's not Isaac or Nuclear Throne, though.

I can't wait for the update that'll fix EVERYTHING, out late 2020

I think it's a good game and have killed two of the characters' pasts so far. The variety of guns and items are great. The game has interesting hidden stats systems like curse and magnificence. Though I have mixed feelings on magnificence as it'll decrease your chance of getting multiple high-tier guns and items in any one run. The first floor is slow, that should've been changed somehow. Bosses are cool, more secrets and content than most rouguelights, although maybe it's just how long a run takes.

game is extremely playable in it's current state. every run has the potential to win. too bad the devs feel the need to compromise the game's difficulty to accommodate for the causal rougelike audience.

>do you really want all guns to shoot like a generic assault rifle? the "gimmicks" make the gameplay more interesting
No, I want them to be unique and powerful but still actually be "guns" that are effective and satisfying to use.
Go look at Nuclear Throne's weapon pool to see how this can be done without soaking the game up with all these stupid gimmick joke guns. Nobody said anything about wanting every gun to be a generic assault rifle, fuck off.

>wrong. gungeon is the anti-thesis of boi. you don't get super OP like in every boi run nor can you one shot bosses like it's no fucking challenging. also, there's not that many passives unlike in boi.
Not what I'm talking about.
It follows the same formula with a series of premade rooms with a randomly selected boss room, a shop room, limited keys and coins, shells instead of bombs, etc.
It just makes the game feel like I've done this before, like the devs thought BoI was the universal base formula for this genre. These games have so much potential but they just rip each other off. I understand the game functionally plays very differently, but the base formula it's built upon and how it plays outside of the combat is very old to me at this point.

Anyways, my primary gripes with the game are the slow early floors, gimmicky guns, and bullet sponge enemies.
If Nuclear Throne was actually 60 fps there would be no reason to play anything else

One thing I gotta give credit to EtG even when I dont like it are the teleporters: thanks to that I cant play BoI because is so damn slow running arround the map instead of teleporting near the room you want.

Yeah, it's playable, that doesn't make it fun
I wanted to like it, and for a while I did, but it's just not enjoyable to slog through upwards of 80 minutes shooting bullet sponge enemies with almost no interesting synergies and a drought of fun items
I really hope the new update will actually make the game fun to play, because the moment to moment gameplay and visual design are great

>No, I want them to be unique and powerful but still actually be "guns" that are effective and satisfying to use.
this really just solidifies my hunch that you really have barely unlocked any of the guns. there are just so many satisfying and powerful weapons especially in the S, A, B tier that are in this game's arsenal. i bet you aren't aware of just how many guns this game has -- i was unlocking some shit even after i 100%ed it. Have a look yourself if you don't believe me enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Guns

I can sort of understand the bulletspongy criticism, since starting enemies will appear in later areas with more hp. but this is obviously to make the game more challenging by having more enemies on screen at once, but i agree they could have made harder enemy types on these later floors instead of populating them with starting level enemy fodder.

anyways, i can see why you don't enjoy the game and appreciate you explaining.

I didn't say the game has zero of the kind of weapons I'm asking for, I'm saying the game has too many gimmicky ones.

Eh, it's no monolith.

Still waiting on that Switch release

Always felt like it was just a slower version of Nuclear Throne.

It’s way too easy.
I can complete the first 5 floors with my eyes closed, only bullet hell provides some challenge and even then i only die if i have a severe lack of ammo.

Neither are roguelikes you fucking retard

i should really try nuclear throne, but the game never goes on fucking sale wtf. and why would i want to play in 30fps 4:3 aspect ratio

Nuclear Throne and Spelunky are the only roguelites worth playing

First time I've seen a thread about gungeon and I'm glad to see one :)
Gungeon > Binding of Issac

Nuclear Throne is better in every single way. Either you're being paid to lie, you have shit taste, or you've never played NT.

>No Necrodancer

kys yourself

It sucks.

You forgot Risk of Rain on purpose?

I keep seeing nuclear throne hyped up but maybe because its more action oriented than all the others it just doesnt even feel the same genre

Gungeon doesn't have vans.

>nobody ever hypes monolith
Plebs don't deserve it.

>People thought Gungeon was bad

So which game do you consider to be the best of this kind?

Risk of Rain

awww man, so Iam the only one who plays this game on my friends list

RoR is fun but it gets old fast, which is a pretty bad thing for a Roguelite.

It's got all the flaws of a bad roguelite, RNG fucking you in the ass while the game really only supports a few good builds while it throws at you a shitton of bad items.

Might as well call it loot filter simulator.

>risk of rain gets old faster than enter the gungeon
>implying

Never said that. It definitely lasted longer than Gungeon. Then again, that might only have been because I didn't actually like playing gungeon.

100% it, but it is clear as ice that random power spikes of the player work poorly with constantly rising enemy strength, also complete and utter lack of random enemy spawns, which eventually makes half of the rooms way too predictable.

BAHAHAHAHAHAH

No argument, eh?

FUCKING WHEN

This update will fix LITERALLY EVERYTHING mark my words

It wishes it was ripped from BoI. BoI is fun because there's all these combinations of things to try and learn about. Because gungeon only really has guns, there's none of that sweet emergent gameplay that BoI has.

Not meant to be one. I was just laughing at how absurdly bad your judgement is when it comes to these types of games. Tell me which replies are yours so I know I can discount them.

But that's not Rebirth

Nuclear Throne > Binding of Isaac > gungeon

put like 100 hours in this. Still haven't beat challenge mode

Literally bullet sponge enemies and RNG the game. Oh, and jumping up and down a rope to kill enemy swarms that can one shot you. Yea, Risk of Rain is the best example of a rouglelike game out there

>Those 1 and a half hour runs
No

>Binding of isaac
>Good

Bloat bosses: the game with a ton of absolutely useless items is not good. BoL is mediocre game with good presentation

The devs take their sweet ass time with anything Gungeon-related, don't expect it to come out this year.

That's kind of what I had in mind in saying it, that the framework is pulled pretty heavily from BoI but it doesn't have any of the actually elements that BoI's gameplay has that makes that framework make sense.

supposedly after the switch release. Should be out by the end of the year

runs to the 6th chamber take like 45 to 50 minutes. Stop larping

It doesn't help that "making progress" in this game is insanely tedious.

Enter the Spongeon is trash. Monolith, Nuclear Throne, Flinthook, and Downwell are all much better games.

Gungeon is alright but stuff takes too long to fucking die including the player.

Is the DLC out yet?

Is it worth playing now?

Last time I played I didn't like how bullet spongy the enemies and bosses felt and the gun RNG was too big

>autism

I like it when items are rare because it makesw you happier when you finally see them, but I haven't seen Riddle Of Lead in like... 17 runs.

>flinthook
Game actually looks kind of interesting, anything you could tell me about it?

I've seen Monolith mentioned in recent wishlist threads. Quick rundown?

That game's evaccania fight was hype

I am also interested in hearing if flinthook is worth my burger bucks

hmm, all these games he mentioned have terrible aspect ratio.

I did not like it at all.
The runs are too fucking samey. Sure, game has bunch of random events and characters that can appear, but they never seem to come up. In my 35 hours of playing I never saw a Demon Door or Yung Venuz statue. What the fuck is that about?
Most of the guns also suck. Sure, there's some good ones, but many are just boring automatic weapons or rifles. It's even worse that the weapon pool is littered with joke weapons that are fun the first time you see them, but on r-key or whatever is going to get old real fast when you realize you could have gotten something actually worth using instead of it. Explosives and lasers are great to use, but those are in minority.
And while presentation is awesome, I don't really care for the game's humour at all. It's way too fucking self-aware all the time.

...Then again, I played it on launch, so maybe they added in good guns and made random events trigger more often. But I don't think anything short of total rework could get me to like this.

Not him but I would say it's a roguelite/shmup hybrid with a bit of bullet hell

I played like 50 hours of Enter the Gungeon and got the Past endings will all the characters, it's honestly really meh, the game tries to make it look like you can go in guns blazing but the game also forces ammo conservation like hell.

Nuclear Throne at least lets you go guns blazing more often than Enter the Gungeon.

113 hours in and I still think the Fightsaber is a myth, lmao.

Flinthook is a platformer, basically you take on "bounties" (bosses) and to track them down you raid smaller ships which are the levels. You choose from 3 at a time, each giving you an idea of what to expect in terms of hazards and loot, and clear the required number of levels before facing a boss. Losing HP means that you start that run towards the boss from scratch. The randomization is based more around piecing level segments together rather than weaponry and such. Also you have "perks" that you unlock to spice your guy up, but it's mostly just run and gun platforming as you Spider-Man your way through levels.

Monolith is more of a shmup styled game, you sly through levels doing the usual twin-stick shooter stuff and upgrading the ship but the real treat of the game are the boss fights, all of them are fun as shit. If you like shmups then it's definitely worth a peek.

Also the Pulsar is a shitty weapon don't use it.

Dead Cells was interesting and fun really, have not played beyond the first release of steam, plenty of updates since. if its counted as a real rougelike by Sup Forums is a different story.

No
No
Wait until the AG&D update comes out, it's attempting to fix a couple of the game's core flaws

I prefer using the much more sophisticated and nuanced term 'rouge-lite' when describing games that have elements analogous to RougeLike.

>super smooth controls
>can't get cucked by rng
>no backtracking
>game fairly beatable with starting gun
>hype as fuck bosses
>runs take 20-30 min

not roguelike ;)

Fun for the first 10-15 hours, then REALLY falls down hill into tedium.

That said, the art style is fucking immaculate. Shame it's tied to such a flubbed core premise.

That's the thing you latched onto?

Really? I have 60 ish and had it 3-4 times.

When it comes to fun synergies:
Bo I> Gungeon > Nuclear Throne

When it comes to actual gameplay:
Gungeon > Nuclear Throne > BoI

Cool enemy types and bosses:
Gungeon > Nuclear Throne > BoI

Overall, I think Gungeon wins

Sure gonna look nice on my 1440p monitor, using 1/3 of the screen.

>When it comes to actual gameplay:
>Gungeon > Nuclear Throne > BoI
Maybe post-AG&D, but Gungeon in its current state is worse gameplay-wise than Nuclear Throne

This is the only twin-stick shooter that I feel is difficult, but at the same time fair.
If you're good enough, you can beat it with the starting gun (except for bullet hell chamber 6)

I'd agree if NT was still early access and pre-update 50

You CAN but its really fucking boring and tedious. Same as Isaac.

They're both tight-control, great gameplay games, but the rolling in EtG is top notch. Makes the game for me

If you think the fourth, fifth, and sixth chambers are boring, then I don't know what fun would be like for you. Maybe these kinda games just aren't for you.

>I have never played shmups before
>I don't have a rotating monitor

Play Fish with Water Boost
Who needs iframes anyways, and he's top tier to boot

Also, I wish this genre had more threads, or hell even a proper general
I miss talking about Nuclear Throne
I love it so much

I know this artist and you're a degenerate.
Kys.

I don't know this artist, but I won't deny the latter

*kills u instantly*
AHHHEAEAHAHHEAHEEAH