Metroid Prime

15 years today. Have you played it? Did you play it when it was new or years after release?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OVYBsOEHatk
dropbox.com/sh/ge971nchrtcyd5a/AABHqDW0bMhvXIojBzt9M0EQa?dl=0
amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00006IJJK/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1510963615&sr=8-3&keywords=metroid prime
youtube.com/watch?v=XXS3XZwPaEk
youtu.be/mPOIX7g2kQE
youtube.com/watch?v=mPOIX7g2kQE
youtube.com/watch?v=B4QuDXuYG-8
youtube.com/watch?v=7VGuWDQBXrU
youtu.be/XuPJm2XQT0A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, thread theme.
youtu.be/OVYBsOEHatk

Played it right when it came out, still one of my favorite video games after all this time

It's still my favourite game to this day.
Also, nice picture. I'm sort of collecting Dolphin screenshots to use as wallpaper.
Have a cool one in return.

>I'm sort of collecting Dolphin screenshots to use as wallpaper.
Here ya go then, hopefully you can find sometime you like in here: dropbox.com/sh/ge971nchrtcyd5a/AABHqDW0bMhvXIojBzt9M0EQa?dl=0

I played it about a year after release. I was so hyped to play it since I really liked the demo and not even the lukewarm feelings I had toward Fusion killed any of it for me. It didn't disappoint and even now, it's still one of my favorite games.

Thanks, user. This is fucking great.

I wonder if the guy who put that folder together still comes here.

I just beat it last month again. 75% with no guides.

Got it for xmas back when it came out. Sadly the disk got fucked up after a bit.

Got further in MP2 though (dark suit) . . .

Got even less far in MP3 . . .

Other M THOUGH...? Beat it several times. Unironically enjoyed it and want another

Going for 100% scan was hell. I really hope you got the parasites and Parasite Queen scans in the Frigate, because they are one-time only.

>tfw you get 100% scans in Prime 2 and 3 in one run and without guides

They made it a lot easier to tell what's scannable and will lead to an increased logbook %.
In the first Prime, they got these annoying, small symbols that are slightly different shades of red and orange, making them not only hard to track down, but harder to know what type of scan they are.
Still, I think there are more things to scan in the other two games.

Ever notice some rooms in Prime had a Morrowind-like aesthetic?

You mean, made of rock and 2002 technology? Yes.

Eh it cant be any worse than Prime 3 where you dont know whats gonna go in your research logbook and not(like the ONE door in the game thats locked by seeker missiles that counts even though there's been tons of seeker missile locks before)

I haven't really played Prime 3 in a long time. It's by far my least favourite in the trilogy and I'm never too eager to revisit it like I am with the other two.

>check price listings on amazon/ebay/etc.
>minimum prices are $20 not including shipping and handling
Why the flying fuck are gamecube games scalped to hell and back?

I can kind of understand even thought its my second favorite, I loved the latter half of the game

in what fucking world is 20$ considered expensive

It was 10/10 for me when it came out, I just replayed it last year and eh. I hope Metroid Prime 4 will have quick arena style gunplay

For a 15 year old game released three generations ago? Come on.
Good thing is that it emulates really well, granted you set up the shader cache first.

Still one of my top games. Nothing comfier than the Tallon Overworld, always gave me a Jet Force Gemini vibe.

JFG had to at least have been inspired by Metroid. The back-and-forth tool progression and environments bear a striking resemblance.

6th gen games are collector's items nowadays. A lot of them will be expensive as fuck, moreso than $20

>tfw you'll never land on Tallon lV for the first time again

top 5 games of all time easy

It's expensive considering that it released more than a decade ago and I can get used xbox/playstation vidya at half the price. Bioshock 1 for example is only a little more than a dollar and that came out in 2007. It's only gamecube games that experience this too outside of things like limited editions.

I havent seen screenshot bro in forever, maybe years

>You'll never emerge into the first open area of Phendrana Drifts for the first time again

I don't get what you're talking about,
amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00006IJJK/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1510963615&sr=8-3&keywords=metroid prime
there are a bunch of listings for

Time the artists spent etching polysgons to make artistic and eye catching details really was something. Rarely do you see patterns in MP. Even sample prefabs of plants, dodads, wires, etc where kept random.

These details are what i want to experience again in a proper 3D metroid. I want to spend a min or more in each room looking at the walls, enjoying the time put into it and trying to memorize the details

I know what you mean, even just hallways have a ton of details put into them

>Rarely do you see patterns in MP
At original resolution, it's not as easy to make out, but bump it up to modern and it can become apparent.

That said, the amount of details in the environments is definitely impressive.
I like how they took some time to make cracks and stuff in the walls using polygons, rather than a texture or bumpmapping or whatever.
Makes things stick out and look believable.

The corrupted Samus face was a nice touch.

Played it on the Wii with Trilogy about 3 years back. Easily my favorite console shooter.

Oh. I was wondering because he included some folders of my stuff in that dropbox folder, and it brought back memories to see them again.

>not being a scan whore
I never missed anything.

Played both Prime 1 and 2 in 2006.

Still my favorite games of all time, both of them.

I Shall replay them today, last time i did so was in 2013 i belive.

Don't even care, man. I still want a handheld port of the first Prime. It's tied for my favorite game ever with Super Metroid, and I can emulate that on anything. Can't quite emulate, or properly control, Prime on my archaic phone.

>you'll get to land on Cylosis for the first time soon

Holy shit has it really been 15 years? No way. It doesn't feel like it.
I remember buying Prime when it first came out, getting home all excited and slipping the disk into my gamecube, but I can't believe it was that long ago.
Still one of my favourite games of all time.

Bought it brand new when it came out. Thanks for the heads up OP. Been thinking about a 6th gen console game to play.

Played it when it first came out but I never beat it.
Came back to it a few years ago and finally finished it and it was still as good as I remembered.

Who else waiting for perfect VR to replay Prime 1 and 2 again?

got more like this¿

I kinda wish i could play it on real hardware right now, i sold my gamecube back in 2008 I deeply, DEEPLY regret doing it

I kept my copies of the games though, this is something i will never get rid of.

Yup.

First time I played it was in 2006.

My mom and I found ourselves at an estate sale. Some very rich man had just died. He lived in a huge mansion out here in the sticks, which was shocking. Huge place - three stories, fountain pool, gated, and tons of odd objects inside.

Stuff like suits of armor, random cremation urns, grand pianos (like four or five in the same room?) and huge collections of clothes, records, and toddler toys. I was about 14 at the time.

I was browsing his video game collection. Mostly PS2 and Xbox. I only had a Gamecube at the time. He had Gamecube games, too, but I already either had them or they were shovelware/dumb shit I didn't want.

I stumbled across Metroid Prime, only knowing Samus was a sci-fi robot with arm laser guns from Smash Bros. I also found Xmen: Wolverine or something. Game sucked, but I got it because Xmen. The prices were $5 each so I didn't get them though.

While looking through a bookshelf, I found "Heir to the Empire" - a Star Wars novel - in the books and pulled it out, and that pulled another book out. It was hollowed out and fell to the ground. It was full of cocaine.

The seedy guy running the sale was clearly a meth head (somehow allowed to run this estate sale) and saw me and was like "OH SHIT, hey pal, you like video games? I got video games" and he walks me back to the games and says for me to pick out a couple to just have. I get Prime and Xmen.

Long story short (yeah, right) I find out my mom was talking to this weirdo and revealed my dad was a high-ranking cop and he was really sketchy and tried hard to make us happy and get us out of there for whatever reason.

So yeah, that's my Metroid Prime story. Great game. One of Gamecube's best.

I missed the fucking Hive Mecha on my last playthrough.

Does anyone else remember the first videos of Prime 2, with the creepy pirate that was kind of kicking Samus' ass? That was a cool video.

For future reference, there really is no need to do double spacing after each paragraph. It only takes up space.

Noted. It's just a habit from school, I guess. I've been accused of Reddit spacing on here like three times but have never been on Reddit more than twice and no one will ever explain to me what "Reddit Spacing" is. I'm guessing that's it. So thanks.

Glad you found Metroid Prime, but please don't type like that. Also, wait your mom found out from a meth head that your dad was a crooked cop?

Just emulate it on dolphin

Nah, when he found out we were connected with police, he didn't want us near there, for whatever reason. Probably because he was wanted or was selling illegal shit or whatever. Also,

Reddit spacing is when you use proper, readable formatting, and people want to give you shit but can't dispute whatever you're claiming or posting about.

Yeah, I remember early screenshots of it as well. The energy tanks on the HUD looked completely different.
They were vertical rectangles that filled up to the top. Picture related.
I always thought it looked cooler that way, but I guess they didn't want to complicate things.

Im the motherfucker from
Been emulating stuff for more than 10 years now.

I Recently decided to replay Super metroid on my real SNES on a CRT television.

It feels different, man..

As much as i love playing GC games in 4k, playing on real hardware will always feel better.

I still haven't played any of the Prime games. I'm not really sure why.

I guess I should.

>when you forget to scan these guys and have to start over

Turns out there were no horizontal energy bar at all. It looks pretty strange when you think about it.
I understand why they went with the same HUD for all games. It's easily readable.

I was in a thread recently where someone actually explained what the fuck Reddit spacing is. Apparently Reddit handles newlines like some old forums, where if you only hit enter once it continues the text on the same line, so you have to hit enter twice to actually start a new line. So apparently anyone who hits enter twice is only doing that because they're used to Reddit, according to Sup Forums or /r9k/ or wherever the meme came from.

Same here, I still miss my gamecube even though I have a wii anyways.
Still have my copies with me even after all these years and movings, I love these things.

It still amazes me that the first game Retro made as a team was Metroid Prime. How did they do it when other franchises didn't translate well to 3D?

Oh. Yeah, that's fucking stupid. Literally every typed text separates paragraphs of text with an empty line.
Like just one Enter keystroke just puts it here, on most software that handles text, right?
This just doesn't seem proper. I guess Sup Forums prefers giant walls of text akin to the Vietnam War Memorial. But what do I know?

Because there's no other reason people use paragraphs, right?

Played it in 2004 or 2005 I think. Loved it.
youtube.com/watch?v=XXS3XZwPaEk

This image has always been an incredibly accurate depiction of me back then.

The PAL version fixes that bullshit at least

>we will never get another game with a HUD like this again
Feels bad man.

Actually, this doesn't look so bad. I think it's because it stretches across screen but my text field is relatively small. I don't know. I didn't think it mattered too much, but a lot of you guys seem to throw tism fits about it. Maybe I'll work on it.

Only thing I missed on my first playthrough was the Ice Shriekers. I was totally not mad I swear.

trippy

Prove you still have yours Sup Forums

If I'm making longer posts, I tend to make a cut off point at the half-screen of a 16:9 monitor. So, roughly around here is when end the paragraph.
Then, you just start a new one. Makes reading it easy, without taking up too much space vertically, or horizontally.

Does scanning 100% actually do anything? Or is it just satisfaction/bragging rights? I've only played through twice.

I never really liked how "videogamey" they made the world in 2. The level design was fantastic, but it was kind of disappointing to visit three areas in sequence with the same "find three keys then fight da boss!!!" structure each time after MP1's winding journey through a super organic-feeling world.

I spent so much time just roaming and looking at everything. i went halves with a friend on it like a month after it was released, let him play it first and got it after another month.

few games had that sense of exploration and and stuff. i was worried about the controls at first but it clicked after a whle and worked well.

these were good times.

IIRC you get a 10 second clip that teases dark samus.

The more stuff you scan, the more artwork you unlock in the galleries. Plus, 100% scans is required for the post-game teaser clips.

It unlocks two art galleries. You need 50% and 100% scans to unlock two of the four.

Thats 100% items, no sfans needed

Ahh. I guess the 100% teaser was worth it in an age without the internet or before an announced sequel. Kind of like the Kingdom Hearts 100% ending. That sounds snarky, but you feel me.

>without the internet
I meant without YouTube.

Is there any way to emulate 3 in a playable/non-retarded manner without a Wiimote?

QUICK
Post your absolute favorite track in the trilogy
youtu.be/mPOIX7g2kQE

Unfortunately not that I know of. From the emulation wiki:

>Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
>Suffers from numerous problems. Play it on the real console if you can.

I never really use it anymore, since I can boot the game via USB Loader. It's preferable too, because I only have the PAL versions and they don't feature nearly as many neat sequence breaks and speedtricks.

Oh man do I really have to choose? ;_;
youtube.com/watch?v=mPOIX7g2kQE

youtube.com/watch?v=B4QuDXuYG-8
I still listen to it all the damn time.

youtube.com/watch?v=7VGuWDQBXrU

I prefer Echoes.

youtu.be/XuPJm2XQT0A

I used to put this on when walking to school almost every morning. It was the perfect length so it'd fade out just as I opened my locker.
Just listening to it now makes me want to go for a walk.

Echoes is also my favourite game in the trilogy. I've gushed about it in metroid threads plenty of times.