TLOZ: BOTW is 2017's Game of the Year

twitter.com/GoldenJoysticks/status/931572803786207233
It's official, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has legitimately beaten out Horizon Zero Dawn, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds as the best game of 2017. How do you feel about this, Sup Forums?

Isn't this some limey brit award? I'll wait for the All-American Dorito show.

>personafags BTFO
Can't wait for the imminent anal devastation.

Delete this shit, now. I'm being fucking serious

It’s actually won a majority of the announced awards already. It’s shaping up to be GOTY, whether people like it or not. I’m glad though. Zelda has a latest lineage and Nintendo really went back to the drawing board with this one.

Well deserved

Am I supposed to care or something?

What about the anal devastation of bingbingwahoofags?

fuck GJW was today?

fuck. off.

>get in the car after work
>put on radio 1
>they’re covering this
>presenter says he’ll give his best Zelda joke
>what do zelda and the internet have in common? A link
>throw the radio out of the car

Eh.

It's a pretty great game, but it doesn't have the features that I generally play Zelda games for.

That said when you look at it's competition it's pretty obvious why it won.

It's got a more massive scope and mass appeal than Odyssey.
Persona 5 is still a weeb game even if more people are pretending to be weebs.
HZD is pretty rote in... well, everything it does, even if it does it all pretty well.
>PUBG
fuckin neverever

So yeah, good on it for winning, and I enjoyed playing it, but I'd much rather go back and play Link's Awakening than Skyrim lite.

NINTENDO WINS AGAIN BABY

Now I don't own a switch, but I'm happy that an actual video game with no pretense of being anything else than a video game won a video game award for the video games.

oh please

It's the best game ever made.

Tell us how we SHOULD feel, op. We've been saying all year that modern press is a complete joke. Sure as hell not changing that opinion now.

Played it on PC. Wasn't bad, but I was bored as fuck. Sorry, I've owned systems outside of Nintendo for the last decade so open world isn't new. Already played Witcher 3, GTA, Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Zelda didn't impress me much. Maybe if it came out 5 years ago.

Those who only buy Nintendo might be blown away though. So uh, great if you're that guy.

>it doesn't have the features that I generally play Zelda games for.
That was the point. If you want "the formula" it was already perfected in oot so just play that or one of the many variations on that theme.

This is exactly what is happening. Nintendies have never played an open world game before so they were blown away. Everyone else just wants the open world meme to stop consuming once-great series.

This. The day Nintendo manages to bring a Link’s Awakening style Zelda to 3D is the day they are officially back.

Its not even a good Zelda title...

>Open world isn't new
Open world isn't even new to the zelda series you child.

I enjoyed Odyssey, Cuphead and Mario Rabbids more than Zelda but good for it.

This. Video game journalists are DEAD.
And if you pay attention to anything they shit out you are a silly fool.

I think you mean neo-nintendo fans, no one who actually loves Zelda wants this style of game.

This isn't The Game Awards. What games was it competing against in this one?

Yeah that's right, No true scottsman!

I have it on Switch. And honestly I agree, the game is really fucking boring. While the traversal mechanics are cool, I simply do not understand the acclaim, the game has a lot of problems and the world is just insanely uninteresting, even compared to most other "empty" open worlds. This game's exploration fucking sucks because you'll often just come across yet another generic bokoblin camp or shrine.

A game with a lot of interesting elements? Yes. A perfect masterpiece? Fuck no. The game is flawed up and down. I see this game as more of a good starting point, moreso a tech demo, than a great game in its own right.

Odyssey is better, fuck off le geek is chic Zelda faggots.

>Tech demo
It's another one of these retards that doesn't understand what tech demo means.

>Maybe if it came out 5 years ago.

Consolecuck bandwagoner confirmed. Ultima shit on modern open world games in the fucking 80s.

I bet you hopped ship to PC this gen to play League.

I imagine long-time Zelda fans would love to see the franchise experiment with open world - so long as they had never played an open world game before. As someone said above, I might have been impressed with BotW if it came out 5 or 6 years ago, preferably even earlier, but after the last few years I just want well designed linearity and focused design.

It's the best zelda ever made.

Umm no sweetie as a die hard Zelda fan who played Ocarina of Time for 20 minutes and rates it as the best game of all time, I think you’ll find BotW is far superior to Mario

Well, better that than Generic open world #79, or steamer bait EA shit.

Persona 5 and Horizon

Yeah, make it 24fps too for the full cinematic experience.

Good. This means there's be a GotY edition with the DLC included.

All jokes aside, people who hate on BotW who are Zelda fans are the definition of "OoT was my first Zelda"

How would you have felt if PUBG won instead?
>pic related

Apathetic. I don't care about awards.

It's a good game I have mixed feelings about. I'm glad it shook things up, but it isn't the direction I want to see the series go in at all.

>mfw

huh

Mad that an incomplete game is winning anything. It would fully cement that marketing is the only important thing in this industry.

I do. BOTW is what we always dreamed about playing zelda as a kid. And before anyone says anything my first zelda was 1, the first I really played was alttp though.

>people who hate on BotW who are Zelda fans are the definition of "OoT was my first Zelda"
How do you figure? It's not like BotW has more in common with the games before OoT either.

3 GOTY titles in one year. How does Nintendo get away with this?

Which is the third?

I most definitely did not dream of collecting crap scattered around the map and my weapons breaking on me as I fight a bunch of reskinned bosses in a few dungeons.

Xenoblade 2 of course

Not with that garbage art style. How does a series get progressively worse in visuals?

Pyra's game

SAY IT WITH ME FOLKS
>nintendo wins yet again
>nintendo wins yet again
>nintendo wins yet again

I don't know, how did your taste get progressively shittier with age?

Don't act dumb. The first Xenoblade looked good, the sequel looked worse but there was still something charming about its visual style, and the new one looks like vomit.

I laugh everytime some idiot says this. For the board that loves whining about normies y'all really be saying some basic bitch shit. The artstyle is perfectly fine, actually watch some fucking anime or read manga so you can get some kind of legitimate taste

How is this game any good other than catering to fujos and fags? Is that what takes to be GOTY nowadays?

I didn't know it was out yet. How good is it?

>Don't act dumb. The first Xenoblade looked good,

Yes. It's all about whoever virtue signals the hardest these days.

I wasn't talking about texture quality. I meant the artistic vision.

The artistic vision being generic anime of style A as opposed to generic anime of style B?

One is visually appealing and the other repels anyone over the age of 13.

Yea you're right, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 was pretty repelling for me but I toughed through it for a good game.
Thankfully 2 has a much smoother style that fits with the actual environments instead of the characters that stuck out like a poor thumb in 1.

The previews are all positive

Except gamespot, but the dude playing it from gamespot doesn't like jrpgs or anime so I don't know why the fuck he was chosen for it.

He likes the game, but he doesn't believe it to be a 2nd coming.

He also reviewed XBX and gave it an 8, listing similar complaints.

All that matters is it is not my name of the year

to be fair he only played little of it at the time while others are between 15-45 hours in

His complaints now though are that it gets too cutesy at times, the style is too much like an anime, and that it feels too much like a jrpg. He also blatantly said that he prefers western rpgs to jrpgs.
He's retarded and not a good fit to review it.

Oh and he said he doesn't like the Nopon and never liked them

I believe he means that it's too tropey with its characters, which is quite true.

I believe he said he likes the cutscenes but that they don't mesh with the serious storytelling that the main quest is trying to tell.

Also, he's one of the potential many that may not like the English dub, but did say that Japanese voice track being available day 1 will be a huge plus.

The only thing I truly disagreed with was how prudent him and the others were about how the girl characters dressed (in particular Pyra).

>tmw your the only person you know who wants to own all the consoles not because of exclusives, but just because you want to have new games to play

No one else I know gets excited about new games anymore. They always resort to console-war faggotry and its kinda tiring. I know people have varying opinions about certain things but hot damn dont try everything in your power to make me agree with you. I like 90% of all games out right now and if you dont thats fine, if you do, thats also fine. Just calm your tits.

It was definitely my pick so I don't have any qualms with this, but it's not like this means anything much to me, either.

>Radio 1
There's your problem.

The thing about Xeno, and most japanese rpgs though, is that breaking up the seriousness with humor is an important aspect that helps lighten the tension.
Literally all Xeno games do it, and most jrpgs / anime do as well. Only westshit sucks its own cock enough to think it should be serious constantly.

But Pyra is dressed pretty ridicolously compared to the other characters.

Sony butthurt in this thread is on serious levels.

Here's the whole thing

Best Storytelling - Horizon Zero Dawn
Best Visual Design - Cuphead
Best Audio - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Best Gaming Performance sponsored by The Sun - Ashly Burch (Horizon Zero Dawn)
Best Indie Game in collaboration with Square Enix Collective - Friday the 13th: The Game
Best Multiplayer Game sponsored by GT Omega - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Studio of the Year - Nintendo EPD
Best VR Game - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Esports Play of the Year sponsored by Intel - Agilities
Esports Team of the Year - Lunatic-Hai
Esports Game of the Year sponsored by Omen by HP - Overwatch
Best Streamer / Broadcaster - Markiplier
Handheld / Mobile Game of the Year sponsored by Bespoke Arcades - Pokémon Sun and Moon
Nintendo Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
PlayStation Game of the Year - Horizon Zero Dawn
Xbox Game of the Year - Cuphead
PC Game of the Year - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Critics' Choice Award - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Breakthrough Award sponsored by Badfly - Ashly Burch
Hall of Fame - Final Fantasy
Most Wanted Award - The Last of Us Part 2
Still Playing Award - World of Tanks
Outstanding Contribution to the UK Games Industry sponsored by The Telegraph - Debbie Bestwick MBE
Lifetime Achievement - Sid Meier
Ultimate Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

There wont be any since Super Mario Sunshine already won the Game of the Millennium back in 2002.

>best audio not nier or even P5
>best indie game not cuphead

outside of that I don't care or don't have a problem with

>Best Indie Game
>Friday the 13th: The Game
>not Hollow Knight
?

>The Last of Us 2 over Beyond Good and Evil 2 for Most Anticipated Game
>Friday The 13th over Pyre for Best Indie Game
>Pokémon over Monument Valley 2 for Best Handheld/Mobile game

These awards are a fucking joke.

Audio is more than just soundtrack. While Nier and P5 have great entertaining soundtracks, their ambient sounds are extremely lacking to a fault. It's why there's almost always music much louder than what's going on in the background. Many of the attacks in Persona also share the same sound.
It should honestly be split into soundtrack and ambient sound awards because they're two very different things, but when it comes to critics they'll usually lean towards prioritizing ambient sounds.

/vint/ taught us a lot, it's mostly 3rd worlders who can't afford more than one console who are starting console-war shitflinging threads.

>Beyond Good and Evil 2
You're not allowed to call anything a joke since you are one

Playing the superior version

NOOOOOOOO

Do you guys hear that?
It's the sound of every Sonybro weeping at their sad, lonely computer desks.
Quite frankly, it's just so beautiful.

What was goty last year?

They don't give a shit what game wins GOTY so as long as it's not a Nintendo game, it's so beautiful

>early access game being the game of the year
I'd pretty much be like this

me on the left btw

>The Last of Us 2 over Beyond Good and Evil 2 for Most Anticipated Game
Why would anyone be excited for that game? It's not even going to be the game you loved, it will just be a cynical exploitation with politics shoved in.

If your most anticipated game is anything but Monster Hunter you don't know shit about videogames.

You dumbass, this is only for Golden Joystick, not TGAs