>2013
"The wii U is a complete flop"
"Nintendo will probably drop out of the console scene soon and just become a game developer like Sega"
>2017
>Switch is a massive success and has the 2 best exclusive games of any console

What went so right?

Sup Forums being wrong as usual

nintendo will never make a home console again, that's how hard the wii u flopped
switch is a tablet that you can plug into your tv or monitor

Nintendo had a practical, well-executed hardware concept and decided to be more ambitious with their software.

They did. Now they only make a handheld.

It's unfortunate that those are the only 2 games worth owning for the thing.

And one's on the Wii U or PC. Mario is boring, easy collect shit. Hope Xenoblade isn't garbage.

>What went so right?
Koizumi supervising console developement instead of Miyamoto

As mobile hardware continues to improve this will be irrelevant.

Switch is closer to the Vita than a traditional home console.

>Nintendo will probably drop out of the console scene soon
But this is exactly what has happened, Nintendo has tacitly abandoned the home console market and is focusing on a high-end handheld (the Switch) with console-like capabilities, this way they can migrate what's left of their console market while combining it with their much more dominant handheld business.
I don't think they expected it to be so successful, though. Hence the constant increases in manufacturing orders. It seems to be working out for them so good on Nintendo.
But don't kid yourself, the Switch is no more a game console than Chromecast is.

I bet you were apart of the "Nintendo will never make a new console even again" group after the Virtual Boy flopped.

>the Switch isn't a home console

They made something that didnt sound like an expansion pack to a decade old console. Thats what they did right.

you can't even do voice chat without a phone. it is far from being a home console
nice strawman

>a piece of right wing garbage
Is this the ancestor to Neogaf?

But console hardware will continue to improve and widen that gap...

handheld consoles are still consoles

It isn't a 'true' console any more than connecting your tablet to your TV and playing Candy Crush with it is.

But Vita did the same

It's not a strawman. People like you have been saying Nintendo is finished for ages. Hell people were even doing back before the NES hit the north american market.

Vita also sold memory sticks with no space for 60 dollars each and had no games. Also the main draw of the PSP was that it was so easy to hack and emulate whatever you want on it.

I thought Wii U had the best exclusive games of any console? You told me that last year

you are literally putting words in my mouth. i have never said those things. all i said was the nintendo quit making home consoles after the wii u, which is true, the switch is a tablet console

Meant to say home video game console. If you were including handhelds in 'consoles', then you're right and I was wrong.

>Breath of the Wild
>exclusive

So it's not about not being an expansion to a console? But about memory cards?

They started making great games again. Wii only sold what it did because Wii Sports was great and anyone could enjoy it. Then they failed to make gamers give a shit about them with garbage like Galaxy and however many awful Zelda games they made no one gave a fuck about.

Iwata died and that helped too. It was a smart move putting a hit on him and letting a big balled Yakuza man retake control of operations.

Do the people who complain about voice chat actually use it? I understand it’s an important box to tick in the dick waving competition, but realistically how often do you use console voice chat over something like Discord? In my experience, voice chat on consoles usually entail children and niggers playing music.

>As long as I get my BING BING WAHOO and zelda I'm happy
What went wrong with nintenbros developmentally to make them this way?

you're completely dodging the point. the switch is a weak tablet that can't handle games and voice chat at the same time. i'm fine with it being a tablet, it's just a little disingenuous to call it a home console when it's not

Who are you quoting?

I saw a walk-through of sm oddisey and I cant for the life of me realize why anyone would play that glorified collectathlon.

they have got a point though. Nintendo realised that they simply couldn't compete in the pure home console race, hence the hybrid.

I dunno, it is pretty ridiculous that Nintendbros can buy the same two games over and over again, it lead to Nintendo to being lazy and releasing shit like the Wii U.
On the other hand, Nintendo tries new things with those same two franchises, making Zelda an RPG, etc. And they've tried launching a few different games (ARMS, Splatoon) So I guess it's understandable.

You should watch the final boss. What a generic trainwreck

You make it sound like this isn’t a good thing. Do we really need three boxes that do effectively the same thing? It just a console specs arms race.

>it is pretty ridiculous that Nintendbros can buy the same two games over and over again,
Yeah and its even weirder when Sup Forums buys the same games over and over again then complains about Nintendofags doing it.

>watching a guy show you where all the stuff is rather than experience the sense of discovery yourself

>What went so right?
A. A great first-party lineup for the first year.

B. An appealing concept, unlike the gimmicky WiiU.

C. Marketing that doesn't suck ass.

D. Decent third-party support both now and in the future, unlike the WiiU that lost all of its third party support after 2013.

The Wii U was an extremely ugly console that was difficult to develop for that did nothing to entice people to purchase other than having decent software. The Switch already has better software on it and on the way to the console, is easier to develop for and the gimmick is actually something people will use.

The Switch is actually much nicer to look at than the Wii U as well and image helps. Anecdotal evidence but I know several people who have called the Switch "cool" who probably didn't even know that the Wii U existed. It was very ugly and looked too much like an Wii accessory.

I actually think it's a good thing, and ultimately means that Nintendo now has one box for all their games rather than two.
But had the Wii U been even a moderate success, I'm willing to bet they would have had another one.

Why don't you experience the sense of cinematic storytelling of TLoU yourself instead of watching it on Youtube?

inb4 >cinematic

Yeah, >collectathon

I think it's a design choice/cost saver rather than simply not being powerful enough to support voice chat. Granted, it's a retarded design choice that I wish they'd reconsider, but if the x360 can handle it the switch certainly can

Metroid Prime 4
and
No More Heroes 3

What more did they have to say?

it would impact the performance of games, not just the battery life. we both know switch has performance issues and even the 60fps games like odyssey have to have dynamic res to actually get there

It did have the best exclusives of last generation.
Doesn't mean the console didn't completely and utterly bomb commercially though.

But I experience it while watching someone play it as well, I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for the "privilege" to experience something so mundane first hand

It doesn't. You'd only think that if you were a massive Nintendo fanboy. If you're counting it in the PS4/X1 generation then it MIGHT be ahead of the X1, but not the PS4. If you count it with the PS3/360 generation it's probably worse than that too.

Unless the Switch falls off a cliff next year the Wii U will be Nintendo's worst first party output when it comes to games ever. It lacks its own Zelda, a 3D Mario, a Metroid and it has the weakest home console Paper Mario. The only good thing to come out of it is Splatoon, the best in the NSMB series and a half decent Mario Kart.

>i-it doesn't count!

I don't even play consoles and I still find this to be one of that lamest excuses out there.

Lad the fps is fine, have you ever played a switch? You can play skyrim and doom in bed ffs. You don't even notice this technical shit

who are you quoting
it's clearly a tablet console
read my post again you illiterate nigger

>No mention of Donkey Kong
>Or Smash Bros
>Or 3D World
>Or Xenoblade X
>Or Bayonetta

It is what it is dude. It isn't an Xbox one or a PS4. It doesn't need to be. Those consoles already exist. What it aims to do, it does well. And the sales reflect that

that's what i'm saying, nintendo quit making home consoles because they can't make a decent home console

imagine you're the guy who made pic related

Did you think if they created a console that began retail at $500 and had super mad graphics on par with PS4 and no portability it would sell well? No of course not. Why would they create something that already exists

Well, we have ONE of those games. We will see how it goes next year.

>Might come eventually
>Switch is too weak to run it
>Pile of shit anyways
>Switch is took weak to run it
>Pile of shit anyways
>Might work on Switch, but don't know if there would be any plans to bring it over
>Is on the Switch
>Switch is too weak to run it.

see i already said nintendo is never doing home consoles again, because they just can't do it. they just can't compete in that market

but no one else does tablet consoles, so that's where nintendo jumped in for the opportunity

It's not a question of, can they. Of course Nintendo are literally capable of doing so, but it isn't economically viable because for the last few generations bar the wii U, they have done fine being the lesser powered console

>WANTING any of those other games

I'll give you RDR2, but that's it.
Who here would ever brag about Andromeda?

that pic was made way before andromeda released
and i think would be nice to have RE7 and RDR2 only, the rest is garbage

But, until recently, Mario and Zelda was ALL Nintendo had.
Things like GTA, COD, etc are available on PS, Xbox and PC, the difference is there are literally thousands of other games besides those to choose from. No one is buying an Xbox JUST to play COD. In Nintendo's case you are (were) buying an entire console for one or two games, which is pretty sad.

well it's 1/3, the only other desirable games there are RDR2 (not happening) and RE7 (there's a chance of happening)

>people call out the switch for it's performance problems
>IT'S A HANDHELD!
>people don't call it a console
>IT'S A CONSOLE
Fuck off Nintendies.

That's actually wrong.

Yeah you have DOOM, and it runs like shit on the switch.

>has the 2 best exclusive games of any console
Mario Odyssey and what's the other one?

You're telling me the handheld-console hybrid is both a handheld AND a home console?

WOW YOU'RE BLOWING MY MIND

Maybe because it’s both

Mario + Rabbids

>tfw multiplat mario and zelda won't be real in your lifetime

>hybrid
hdmi out does not make something a hybrid you absolute moron

Then it has no excuse to not be able to run console games then. Oh wait it can't because it has shitty hardware, as always with Nintendo.

This.

What make its a hybrid is that it plays console games and it uses controllers when you plug it into the TV

it's a tablet console
you can connect controllers to any tablet and plub them into your tv too, still doesn't make them hybrids

If those tablets can play console games I would agree they are hybrids

I'm largely enjoying the game, but it's not "the best exclusive of any console." It's not even the best example of its genre.

>Mario and Zelda was ALL Nintendo had.
never in the history of nintendo has this ever been the case, but please continue to parrot it

why do we have, what feels like 50 switch shill threads a day now? is the switch fanbase really that insufferable or does nintendo have people working to viral market their product

>Switch is a massive success
LOL!
>and has the 2 best exclusive games of any console
LOL!

>Nintendo's fastest selling console
>Not a massive success
LOL

You're just noticing it because it makes you mad.

What a thunderously stupid post. The only thing that makes a game a "console game" is the fact that you play it on a console; so you can't use "plays console games" as the definition for a console, fuckface.

Breath of the Wild isn't exclusive

It's fuckin' ain't, m8

The hardware is all in the screen, the console ships with a shitty piece of plastic and some cords that let you play your mobile device on your TV.

i have a switch and it makes me mad. the constant shill threads are annoying

Hmm...

Sounds just like when Sup Forums said Sony was bankrupt and that there would NEVER EVER be a PS4...

Yes I can, I just did

Sup Forums got so cavitied by nintendo do you think just the sight of a short statured man in a hat or a girl in green clothes causes them actual physical harm just from the trauma alone.

>Sup Forums got so cavitied
Fucking what.

That's what happens when a fanbase is starves for almost 8 years of quality games. Moment they get one from a mainline title that's above average they praise to the high heavens. Kinda like Killzone fans or square fans, or any really. Nintendo is just a very large fanbase, one that's been so starved on games they're making mountains outta mole hills. Ya got to feel for em really, especially after skyward and 3D-Land were such disappointments.

However, xbox one X might change that,

The entire gaming industry is praising the games.
Hell everyone is, you're the minority here.

>Skyward and 3D Land were disappointments
According to who? Sup Forums? Because both of those games are critically acclaimed with 95+ scores across the board. Everyone who played them loved them.

The eternal Sonybro.

>review scores only matter when it's for games I like