What did you guys think of the 3DS Shin Megami Tensei games? I thought they we're extremely good

What did you guys think of the 3DS Shin Megami Tensei games? I thought they we're extremely good.

Apocalypse had some great routes and a sexy protagonist.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bvyCAFV9MbM
youtube.com/watch?v=qDsDYCI3fyc
youtube.com/watch?v=9-0WYtVqbyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FKbp8-6OyAk
youtube.com/watch?v=EcZHm4VllDs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anime Travis Bickle is not sexy, user.

He's beautiful. Almost as beautiful as SMT original protag.

IV is kinda mediocre all around excluding the greatest OST in a video game, but Final has some phenomenal gameplay. The story is hit or miss but I don't really care about shit like that.

>Sexy
You gay or just a dog?

I really liked the story in the chaos route. Going full edge like in Nocturne was the best.
Dogs can't use the internet don't be ridiculous.

How the fuck do we keep getting faggot ass Persona games on console by SMT is just FUCKED FOR ETERNITY to be extremely niche handheld bullshit with shitty ass graphics and god awful atmosphere because of it?

I'm being facetious, I like Persona too, but FUUUUUUUUUUCK

user have you not seen the trailer for SMTV?

I didn't even check and I'm telling you that you're lying.

Nocturne wasn't as edgy as that was it?
Your friends in Nocturnne are a bunch of crazy assholes as opposed to the Apocalypse crew that is basically the cast of a persona game.
I didn't feel particularly bad turning on anyone in Nocturne.

youtube.com/watch?v=bvyCAFV9MbM
Somebody tell me if I'm being baited.

So they finally decided to get their heads out of their asses? What the fuck were they thinking making 4 for a fucking handheld, what a stupid goddamn retard move.

Well, Japan loves its handhelds and games often sell better on portable devices rather than consoles. On top of that, the 3DS was doing well sales-wise which is also the same device that has shit like Monster Hunter. Finally, this was during a time where they were working on a new engine I believe, testing shit by making Catherine.

Altogether, it made financial and practical sense to make a game for the 3DS.

I don't know, True Demon Route felt edgy as fuck. Good edge though.

The point is that making a game like SMT for a handheld is a HORRID IDEA NO MATTER WHAT because it's a type of game that depends almost entirely on its atmosphere. This is why Nocturne is a masterpiece, and 4 is a piece of fucking shit. I don't care how much Jewish sense it made to make a shitty entry in their main series.

4 is a great game though.

Strange Journey managed atmosphere just fine.

You sure it's not because it came out for a system you don't own, user? You can be honest.

Nocturne is a Chaos game, no matther what ending is was atleast a little bit edgy, also True Demon Route is the "canon" ending, IV/IV:A are neutral but the Massacre ending on Final is wayy too fucking edgy.

>IV
Pretty solid game all around and the new changes are pretty good. Great cast of characters too.

>Final
Great gameplay and systems, but the story is ass for the most part. Has a few good defining moments.

Desu:OC
A good remake

Desu:RB
Haven't played yet.

>Nocturnebabies in charge of ruining YET another comfy megaten thread.

I have a 3DS and I played the damn game you fucks. The atmosphere SUCKED, especially compared to Nocturne.

Look, I get it's just my opinion, but I'm not budging. 4 was a gigantic disappointment. Nocturne may have just spoiled me, but that's that.

Hated the characters and story of SMT:IVA but the gameplay changes really fixed a lot of the problems that came with non-random fusion skills

Funny, I found the atmosphere of exploring ruined Tokyo to be quite effective in 4. In fact, the handheld nature of it didn't hamper the experience for me much. Atmosphere does not depend on the platform, it just depends on the world-building, story, and art/music direction. All of which SMTIV did quite well with, even with the limited means the 3DS has. On top of that, the gameplay was great. The smirk system was ass, but it still retained the feeling of building a proper demon team to fight through opponents vastly more powerful than you. Solely focusing on atmosphere of SMT is a bit silly when the gameplay and story has always been great in the series. SMTIV does a decent job of both.

And whether or not you like it, it's a business. They have to make money and the Japanese fucking love their portable systems. That's what sells. And the 3DS was selling.

IV was pretty awful but IV:A fixed basically everything wrong with it and ended up being a solid game.

The atmosphere was a high point in IV I believe. That moment you descend from Mikado to the land below was amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=qDsDYCI3fyc

>This is why Nocturne is a masterpiece

>Atmosphere does not depend on the platform

Dude, you KNOW that's bullshit. A handheld system cannot compare to a full home entertainment system, or at the very least a goddamn TV, when it comes to presentation. You KNOW DAMN WELL you would prefer IV on a console. I KNOW that you KNOW this. Don't bullshit me, dawg.

STIV's atmosphere was way more effective. A majority of Nocturne's locations consisted of barren deserts, office buildings, and demonic temples with simple aesthetic choices. SMTIV's environments consisted of an entire city with parks, streets to explore, multiple small settlements, notable Tokyo landmarks, as well as the aboveground which sits in stark contrast.

If you want to argue music, SMTIV fucking knocked it out of the park. Same with art design of locations, with wear and tear taking a toll on the covered ruined city. It genuinely felt like an apocalyptic world where humanity was just struggling to get through each day alongside demons. The atmosphere was fantastic and had tons of environmental variety to support it.

Like you said, it's just an opinion. But don't hold Nocturne up as the perfect game. It's good, but each game does its own thing. SMTIV is not necessarily a weaker entry.

Have you played SJ?

Did it have the best music out of mainline?

Etrian odyssey better

I want to fuck nanashi.

>Dogs can't use the internet don't be ridiculous.
Be quiet, dog.

Oh fuck off. Nocturne IS a masterpiece, it's one of the best dungeon crawlers ever fucking made, and it's masterful atmosphere is a primary reason why. Ascending the tower of Kagatsuchi is goddamn chilling.

the 3ds etriams suck though

Persona is better.

Have we reached the pinnacle of overworld theme?
youtube.com/watch?v=9-0WYtVqbyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FKbp8-6OyAk

I have yet to wrap around my head all the suckery to EOIII, In my opinion the untolds and V are way better than III.

I would prefer SMTIV on a console. I hated the 3DS' controls and found the camera movement limited. On top of that, I think the music could've been appreciated more with higher fidelity. Hell, I'll even admit that the textures could've been better.

Thankfully, none of that took away from the fantastic atmosphere the game had. In fact, being close to the screen and being able to play it in a comfortable environment sometimes helped me to sink into the world even more. Handhelds can very easily compare to other systems when the design of the game feels like they worked on the problems it has. And SMTIV does.

Also, SMT Strange Journey as well as Devil Survivor were both on handhelds. I found their atmospheres to also be good despite the platform. Your inability to sink into a game in a portable form is your own issue, not one I share.

They're both good in there own ways and I can appreciate both as good games catering to different audiences.

why don't you play 1 and 2 before you make sweeping generalizations about what the series should be like

I'd rather play IV on the Vita or Switch. 3DS was just way too weak even when it came out, but turn based RPGs are maximum comfy on handhelds.

>hating the best game in the series

>4 and 5
>bad

ELI5 me why it is the best? I have played it and loved it but I don't see how's better than anything on 3DS maybe better than IV

Not enough useless classes and broken skills for you?

>Nocturne IS a masterpiece
Nocturne is one of my favorite games of all time, and no way is it a masterpiece. Its phenomenal but not a 10/10 masterpiece

They were good, as were the spinoffs on the DS and 3DS. I just finished Devil Survivor and I enjoyed that. Don't know if I'm going to do the eight day, though, I feel like I've had my fill of the game.

>Nocturne IS a masterpiece
>The game that created Press Turn cancer
>Masterpiece

Loved them.
Which megaten had the best routes and ending and why is it DeSu1.

IV was my favorite until V came along. Now it's V > IV > III > I > II.
III is held back by its horrible balancing and terrible sea traveling.
I'll give ya the untolds, though. Those are garbage and untold should be canned.

Why not go the extra mile it is only an hour or 3 long or do you need to replay the entire game again to get the 8th day?

>First time I heard this song
It just perfectly encapsulates the feeling of exploring the deserted streets of a city at night and the contrast between Mikado and the underground city of Tokyo.

Yeah, the combat was way better when you just mindlessly used status effects over and over.

Press Turn is flawed as fuck, but I'll take over the old autobattle2win system.

I don't need to replay the game, but I just started the eighth day and was not feeling it at all. I might go back to it at some point, but right now I just can't be bothered.

Does Devil Surivor 2 count in this category?
I thought it was really good, until the last boss.
Polaris in the final form was just absolute bullshit.

>Dogs can't use the internet don't be ridiculous.

youtube.com/watch?v=EcZHm4VllDs

Actually just finished SMT IV (my first SMT game) about a week ago and I've been working on Apocalypse ever since. The quest markers are a huge addition, it really makes things simpler. What's my next game? Devil survivor?

I remember having zero trouble with it in the DS game, in RB I actually had to grind and fuse extra demons for that battle.

IV suffered from being mostly new blood that wasn't quite sure what they were doing. The actual ideas and such worked but the execution of them made them feel underwhelming overall. Gameplay starts great but quickly after Medusa things really drop in difficulty, doesn't help that you have overpowered sub apps like the mp restoration ones available to you as soon as you have enough to afford them. Budget problems become apparent when you see things like the cutscenes as well. Also all the new guest artist designs didn't really follow SMT's design philosophy and instead looked out of place. Overall it was a good game but didn't deliver the typical high quality of previous games like Nocturne or Strange Journey.

IV:A was a more sad situation. This time gameplay was better balanced and more thought out, this gave us some of the best combat jrpgs have to offer. Sadly to detract we are also given a plot abd script so terrible it actually detracts from the game. Some problems from IV also carried over such as the lack of real dungeons for the most part and the lack of budget for cutscenes and such.

Both are great games and I would say both are at least 7.5-8/10 games, but after such phenomenal previous entries they were dissapointing honestly.

Why not tge only smt spinoff /smt/ doesn't like is persona.
Devil summoner, Devil survivor, Digital devil saga and etc are allowed.

If you still want more dungeon crawlers, Strange Journey. I heard that the remake is actually good so maybe wait for that
If you don't mind old games, Soul Hackers

Either Nocturne if you want more SMT IV/IVA in fully 3d and DeSu if you want something fresh.
DeSu is my personal favorite megaten.

Fuck handhelds and consoles, why can't we get SMT games on PC?

You had one and you blew it.

IV is mostly staff from Nocturne Maniax/SJ. IV:A is where they used the new blood
The only new blood in IV is the main composer and the fucker KNOWS what he's doing

Because demons will come out of your computer.

>Digital devil saga
Get out of here with that trash.

Imagine was a thing you know?

I never played it though, but I have never seen people bash someone for talking about it in smt threads

People bash it more than most MegaTen spinoffs aside from Persona, but that's bound to be the case just because Persona is talked about so much more. DDS isn't bad, but it is the worst MegaTen spinoff that's actually worth playing in my opinion. Great OST, though.

I want a mainline SMT or Raidou 3, not a MMO that was long dead by the time I learned it even existed.

Play Giten Megami Tensei, if your toaster can even handle it.

Soul Hackers
>tfw still can't beat the raidous

Why is she so best?, no really why, is it because she's a loli?

Die for me is really good for when you fuse her

The last time PC fags wanted a series on their platform MHW was the answer and well... I don't need to say anymore.

She literally carries my ass for more than half game once I have the chance of fusing her, I cheesed Meme-Aleph because of her and her Almighty damage.

Thank you Gaston

I just got to the part when Asahi dies at hands of Shesha, is that Odin's spear?

Why is she so underrated?

Yes. Odin fight is right after that. Choose to rely on yourself

>she

it's this homo again

Should I wait for Deep strange journey or is it inferior to the ds version?

If you haven't played it already wait fucker.

Wait

Asahi a shit but them are some damn fucking good free heals

Asahi is the least shit of your companions, atleast she had justification of why suck your dick 24/7

Play the games in order you filthy speedplayer

they're all the most annoying pieces of shit
but she's the most most annoying
I merely carry her for heals and no more

>True Demon Route is canon
no, the Demon ending is, IV shows that you dummy.

>she more annoying than Hlbuy AKA SMT's Yosuke, or TsunTsun Gaston, or BAD comic relief Navarre, ot Kawaii ugu Toki

she's not good ceirtanly but she's the least bad.

Most people haven't played his game.