This and the ones by the crazy guy with the Polish surname who writes for HG101-aside...

This and the ones by the crazy guy with the Polish surname who writes for HG101-aside, are there many good books based around the industry and/or development process?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YayOHx6K7b4
youtube.com/watch?v=Ki46xPJjZy8
youtube.com/watch?v=jGb3BNgU7SE
youtube.com/watch?v=tLeJD4Gv1QI
youtube.com/watch?v=3tcOSeFOc5k
youtube.com/watch?v=lKeHMUYCgPA
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/
gamasutra.com/view/feature/132500/dirty_coding_tricks.php
gamasutra.com/view/feature/131439/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php
gamasutra.com/view/feature/3408/the_cabal_valves_design_process_.php
youtube.com/watch?v=H7kAtZyNXXw
youtube.com/watch?v=Ds22dv3KrPY
youtube.com/watch?v=dKAbetSJEBk
youtube.com/channel/UCfVFSjHQ57zyxajhhRc7i0g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably but you've posted the only one I read in one sitting. Hell the only one I've known about but then again I haven't bothered to look beyond it.

Half life: raising the bar

how about documentaries?

youtube.com/watch?v=YayOHx6K7b4

Ultimate History of Video Games (from start thru early 21st century?)
Game Over (Nintendo from start thru N64 era)
Console Wars (mostly Sega-centric, but some focus on Nintendo, takes place in the 16-bit era thru the launch of Saturn)

I was into the noclip documentaries for a bit there. However the latest ones haven't been focused developers I'm interested in. And that Witcher one barely fucking touched on the first game, devoting most of the three (four?) episodes to Witcher 3, because that's the one everyone knows.

I'd absolutely take some video game docs, probably gonna watch that one right now.

Not really docos in the truest sense of the term, but those Toco Toco episodes centred around notable devs are really good.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ki46xPJjZy8
youtube.com/watch?v=jGb3BNgU7SE
youtube.com/watch?v=tLeJD4Gv1QI

Nothing will top Masters of Doom. It's probably the only book that I've paid for in 3 different formats (physical, digital, audiobook), and the one I've read the most. It's so goddamn good.

masters of doom is the only good thing on the game industry I've read/watched. All youtube videos are basically uninsightful cocksucking from industry outsiders looking in

It's genuinely really well written and entertaining for what amounts to two biographies, really funny shit, but doesn't pull any punches with any of the realer shit like romero getting beat up by his stepdad as a kid or carmack getting fucked up in juvie after trying to blow up a building to steal some fucking apple computers. I think it'd make for a pretty good movie if they ever make one.

>the part where carmack blows up a building to get some computers
>the part where the id team pulls a keikaku on their old employer and just uses their computers to develop games under their noses
>the part with the stripper

GOAT

It reads like goddamn fiction, but in the right ways. Tom Hall is best boy and deserves no wrongs. Also this part never fails to make me laugh out loud

"Hey man," Romero said, "You feeling buzzed yet?" You getting drunk Carmack?"

"I am losing control of my faculties," Carmack replied. "Mmm."

I remember when games were made by passionate nerds instead of codeserfs under the thumb of Jew MBAs.

The part where the id team stabs a picture of Burger Bill and fires him because he took to long to port Wolfenstein to SNES

>you will never be part of a dev team in a place as comfy as the id lake house

youtube.com/watch?v=3tcOSeFOc5k

speaking of, here's some half life 1 beta footage
youtube.com/watch?v=lKeHMUYCgPA

You should read Making Crash Bandicoot. It's no book, but almost as insightful as Masters of Doom.

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Gamasutra has some interesting articles occasionally, if you're willing to wade through the garbage.

gamasutra.com/view/feature/132500/dirty_coding_tricks.php
gamasutra.com/view/feature/131439/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php
gamasutra.com/view/feature/3408/the_cabal_valves_design_process_.php

I got Rare Replay just for all the bonus interviews

Making of Battletoads
youtube.com/watch?v=H7kAtZyNXXw

Banjo Kazooie
youtube.com/watch?v=Ds22dv3KrPY

Conker
youtube.com/watch?v=dKAbetSJEBk

well it was that it took too long but also because he at some point realized that he was on contract with some other company and couldn't make the port anyway.

True, but he never told id that. He just kept saying "It'll be done soon." Did you know Burger Bill went through HRT in 2003? He's known as Rebecca now. Weird shit.

Watch GameHut's YouTube channel. He founded Traveler's Tales and talks a lot about developing old games.

youtube.com/channel/UCfVFSjHQ57zyxajhhRc7i0g

God of War 3 came with a great bunch of making-of docs that went into individual departments and phases of development. It's worth getting just for that if you're interested in working in the industry.

I really wish there were more people like NoClip who visit devs to do their making-ofs and retrospectives for them because almost every dev ever doesn't budget for it themselves.

speaking of, remember that part where they talked about american mcgee's childhood and brought up that his mom abandoned him and spent all her money getting her tranny bf a sex reassignment surgery? and the book went out of its way to say he was the craziest guy she dated because of it? Boy, if they wrote that today they'd get fucking mauled by the game journos.

Jordan Mechner's diaries while he were creating Karateka and Prince of Persia are pretty interesting. A really in-depth account of what he goes through emotionally, from the joys of solving game-breaking bugs to the realisation that he has no gf.
Karateka's a lot of fun, since he's only about 18.

Didn't his sister get murdered a few years ago or something? Guy's fucking mental, but it's no surprise that he is considering what a totally fucked life he's had.

>David Kushner
Trump's son in law? ...L-Lads?

different kushner lad

This is actually a good read. There's a lot in here I didn't know about the development behind the original Xbox. For example, the name comes from DirectX and the original intention was for the machine to be something that was simple for PC devs to port games to.

Yes it is written by the guy that famously fucked up the cuphead tutorial

Thanks for this, I've watched like 8 videos now

Implying game journos would read an entire book to completion

A couple of years ago I lived down the hall from the same apartment building that they were working out of in Mesquite, TX during the Doom days. At the time, I also worked right next to the Black Cube, which is just a couple miles away. All in the same year that I'd read Masters of Doom. The synchronicity was really weird.

Anyway, I loved the book. It's definitely one of my favorite non-fiction reads. Kushner's book about Rockstar is pretty damn good as well, though id's hijinks were more fun to read about.

No wonder he can't play video games. He's old as shit.

Last year, he'd posted that she'd gone missing. As far as I know, she's still missing, and may have been murdered according to investigators. Also, his game studio closed down last year and he relies on Patreon to keep making games. Also, his alcoholic dad tried to gouge his eyes out and possibly molest him when he was 13.

American had a hard life.

There is nothing interesting whatsoever about the industry. It's just a bunch of lardasses or japanese robots sitting in cubicles and eating fast food on their breaks.

Oh, I get it, you think that id software life was interesting because no life retards got a bunch of money so you can watch a sperg chop down a door? Wow, it's like rock bands without drugs, sex and great music, just papa rancid pants and some code.