Now that the dust has settled, what do we think of this?

Now that the dust has settled, what do we think of this?

goty

It's shit.

It's good.

AM2R is better and nintendo are cucks and con artists
I can't wait for them to go bankrupt!
Then we can talk about good games like the witcher 1 or horizon

It had some cool new ideas, but it was aesthetically bland and Metroid 2's "kill all the things" structure is still boring inherently.

But they needed to play it safe while they got Samus back on her feet, so just this once it's fine if Metroid is a little bland.
However if Prime 4 is also "safe" and just rehashes the same forest->ruins->lava etc. world them then I'll be pissed.
Prime 3 already tried that with Bryyo just being a condensed Tallon IV.

Awesome.

Mediocre; largely ruined by the terrible counter mechanic and all enemies being designed around it. Ridley at the end was terribly hamfisted. Cinematic counters were a mistake, as were the other cutscenes trying desperately to make Samus look cool in general.

Simple and okay. Challenging enough to keep me busy

Best 2d one since Super.

Good

I thought it was good, but very orthodox for the most part

I guess that comes with being a remake though

Only things I didn't like about it was that they didn't do anything new with the Queen, and that the music was underwhelming in a few places. Otherwise amazing.

Played it very safe for a 2d Metroid in the best way possible.

I think it's safe to say most people are finally back on board with 2d Metroid which is exactly what we needed to bring the franchise back to life.

It was good, but unremarkable. I didn't really like the execution of the counter because I felt like if I didn't just stand still for a second and wait for an enemy to attack so I could counter I was severely gimping myself.

>t. soyboy

I played AM2R, liked it a lot. Put a copy on a flash drive I gave to my brother, should I get this instead?

I enjoyed it.

AM2R was way better but this was still a great game anyhow. I'd like to see the counter mechanic return in later 2D Metroid games but they should probably nerf it.

trash
shit
not even worth as a mobile game
stoped after the second enemy

Doesnt come close to looking decent. 2D would have been a million times better at least until they can make crispy 1080p+ 3D graphics with nice effects not just shovelware looking shit.

They are both pretty different. I'd recommend SR but it's hard to predict if someone would like it more or less than am2r

AM2R > SR

I still haven't finished it because I switched to EOV

I think the counter was fine, I think, especially in the Metroid boss fights. I think if most enemies had had a counterable attack and a non-counterable attack then that would have helped.

>Ridley at the end was terribly hamfisted

No it wasn't, it connected the Prime series to the 2D games and showed how Ridley both returned to being completely organic and how and why he knew to go to Ceres Station.

It honestly looks really good with the 3D on.

>t. never played any of the other games

>as were the other cutscenes trying desperately to make Samus look cool in general.
you mean just the one with the Diggernaut, retard?

A disappointment

>everything about this post

Piece of shit, Steam World Dig 2 devs should be handed the 2D Metroid games.

>However if Prime 4 is also "safe" and just rehashes the same forest->ruins->lava etc. world them then I'll be pissed.
This, at least if they do it the way Prime 1 did. While I love Prime 1 and treasure it as one of my top 5 games of all time, the area aesthetics, outside of the deeper parts of Phazon mines, were pretty boring. The fun part of older Metroid was that it took the generic area tropes and put some unique twists on them to make them feel less familiar. Prime 1 played them almost completely straight for most part.

It alright. I enjoyed playing it, but when I think back on it I have a hard time remembering anything exceptional about it aside from the big robot boss. Too few enemies, overall world design stays too close to the original, over reliance on the melee counter, some references were forced (why is the Norfair and Maridia music playing on SR388?).

It didn't hurt the franchise, but it's not particularly memorable. I played Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge too this year and I rate both of the as better metroidvanias.

>(why is the Norfair and Maridia music playing on SR388?).

Because those are good themes. Did anyone bitch about Lower Norfair in Prime 1 and Brinstar Red Soil Area in Prime 2?

Kinda yeah. I guess maybe not for Prime 1 but people have been complaining about recycled themes in Metroid for over a decade.

>we

The new improvements and additions are pretty fucking great
The Metroid 2 format is what’s garbage though

>people still complaining about the counter

You can just not use it
People are ignoring that enemy attacks are easier to dodge because they are built for the counter. So your not meant to always use it

it was ok, but AM2R was way better.

Ice+missile is much more fun to use anyway and doesn't slow the game down as much as the melee stuff does.

It's fun

Pretty good, but it should have been on the Switch.

>30fps 2D platformer
Into the trash it goes purely because of that

>enemy attacks are easier to dodge because they're built for the counter

Enemies didn't fucking attack you in older 2D metroids for the most part, bozo. It was 90% contact damage.

Now there's a lot of situations where enemies come right the heck at you in enclosed spaces and it feels downright stupid not to use the counter.

Shit controls

2nd best Metroid game after Zero Mission.

>ayyy cabrojne our siesta is in 10 minutes should we design good bosses?
>nahhh essay let's just make every boss do more damage and have too much health!

That's what Nintendo does though - just look at Zelda and Mario

This. Why did everyone so conveniently forget that Metroid enemies in the past may as well have just been spike blocks or something? With rare exceptions they don't do anything.

I would love for Mercury Steam to work on Metroid V with Sakamoto, even a SR port would be great in the mean time. I just hope we get a proper Metroid on Switch and not just Haloid shit.

Just pirate it and see how it is on Citra

It wasn't the counter mechanic that ruined it. It was the 360 aiming

>talking about Metroid finally having enemies that aren't completely passive as a negative
And if you're so bothered by enemies that attack you in places too narrow to jump or freeze them (rare occurrence) you can always activate the Shield. Or even slow time.
The game gives you a number of tools to play however you want, if you're so lazy and boring that you can't think of anything but spamming counter it's all your fault.

>wasting supplies by using shield or slowing time when you gain supplies by using counter

yeah ok

I guess we should make it so the enemies in SMB3 aren't completely passive too. It does need a combat system after all. They could definitely give Mario the old Lords of Shadow treatment.

It's great but I'm more interested in Metroid 5.

>running out of Aeion
lol
Pointless comparison of different kind of games. Good job.

>unnecessarily using it and running at risk of running out when you can just use a handy (but boring) mechanic that's simply more practical than ice beam+missile or ice beam+counter

Metroid isn't a shooting game.

It was fun, but it feels too linear. And chasing metroids between rooms is cancer.

>Don't you understand? The game literally forces me to use this mechanic I dislike, since the others option aren't 100% as efficent (despite being faster and more fun to use)! I can't help it!
Literally autism.
I hope you didn't think this was a clever response.

Kinda. Metroid return of samus was already too linear

I hope they find a way to make some enemies less annoying for the counter because some of the game's enemies are a pain in the ass. I agree just like Zero Mission the post content after the final boss's death should not have existed just like the whole stealth section where Samus needed to find the Legendary Power Suit, this whole Proteus Ridley thing felt shoehorned. Also, Samus is cool in general, what you wanted shitty Other M Samus back?

>it connected the Prime series to the 2D games
It really didn't need to.

I can see the 360 aim being fixed in Metroid 5 as Samus should be able to move while doing it due to the right stick.

Enemies annoying charge and strike you in a split second in this game, something that really wasn't the case in past 2D Metroid games, this could be fixed in Metroid 5.

It's the option you're clearly intended to use, freezing and parrying or missile-ing feels a little jank and it still isn't as fast as blowing through things in earlier Metroid games.

>It really didn't need to.
But they did it anyway, and thank god because Ridley hasn't had a good 2D fight since Super.

As a remake of Metroid 2, it fails completely and entirely. It takes nothing of value from the original(the very creepy tone, the themes), but maintains the biggest issues(repetitive enemies, the enemy counter). The complete contrast from the trip back to the top in the original vs remake is almost insulting.

As a followup to Fusion and Zero Mission, it's ho hum. The 2.5D style graphics look worse than quality sprite work would have. The combat is improved but the hyper linear nature of the game in contrast to previous titles is disappointing.

I get the impression that they really wanted to emphasize the combat above all else. Like the idea is that they wanted you to stop and fight instead of the classic run and gun thing. It's very "modernized" in that sense.

*annoyingly

But it felt very shoehorned in, Fusion is supposed to be his canon death, I hope he doesn't get forced into Metroid 5.

Pretty much

>the very creepy tone, the themes
Epic.

It's good. Hopefully it sold well so we get more 2D Metroid games

>It's the option you're clearly intended to use
Not at all, that's your choice.
>it still isn't as fast as blowing through things in earlier Metroid games.
That's the result of making enemies in general less of a pushover, like making some resistent to the screw attack (but you probably hate it too.

It did

Another issue I had with the game is that I didn't like that the final area after acquiring the Metroid Hatchling has enemies now, the game also seems to be missing some classic enemies like with Zero Mission.

I mean I'm not even a speedrunner or anything but I like that Metroid has a breakneck pace to combat and you're like a human wrecking ball while fighting normal dudes

i don't hate it, I just think it isn't really what I love about 2D metroid

>It was 90% contact damage.

And to be honest I'm glad they changed it.

ask me things about the game, I may be able to answer how or why this or that was made the way it was

Welcome to Metroid II

>Samus Returns gets announced
>Metroid threads also return but become non stop shitfests
>now they're all gone
I'm glad it's over.

It's like Halo, I believe it's Sonyroaches acting like so-called fans of both series, I found out that Reach babies are actually Sonyroaches in disguise acting like Halo fans, is there anything worse than a pathetic fanbase latching on to another just to fit in?

Preferred AM2R. SR is too slow for my taste, and I really didn't enjoy the counter mechanic. Gimped wall jump pissed me off. Making Metroid fights where they retreat to other rooms was so stupid I don't know how it passed testing, it just makes it tedious and adds nothing. Needed more non-Metroid bosses. The OST left something to be desired too, AM2R beats it hand over fist in that department. Diggernaut goes from really cool to annoying and tedious pretty quickly. Ridley was good, the lore expansion was good but who really cares about that in a Metroid game. SR was decent, I paid for it and don't regret it, but I have problems with it and preferred AM2R.

Not bad but AM2R was better. 2.5D is really ugly.

Hi, Mark Brown. Don't you have some essays to plagiarize?