Heads up, today is the last day you can get FFXI on sale

Heads up, today is the last day you can get FFXI on sale.

store.na.square-enix.com/product/280817/final-fantasy-xi-ultimate-collection-seekers-edition-pc-download

Contains all the expansions + 1 month of free game time for 9.99 USD.

Perfect opportunity for anyone who always wanted to try the game out but never got around to it.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/53287
bg-wiki.com/bg/Fantastic_EXPs_and_Where_to_Find_Them
web.archive.org/web/20160531034936/http://www.1up.com/reviews/final-fantasy-xi-crystalline-prophecy
github.com/Windower/Lua/blob/live/addons/xivbar/README.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I was hype because I thought this was FFXIV you were talking about, but this one looks lame.
You can't even make a male catperson in this one, right?
>tfw cant afford to have a catboi to cuddle with

>giving a fuck about XIV cats

Is there a way to ironically wield a stick?

Lalas > tarushits

forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/53287

campaigns are about to wrap up too

anyone got anything decent from skcnm20?

i got a few HMP pouches, skirmish+2s, but that's it.

I just started a few days ago and it's really pissing me off how many out of order cutscenes I'm getting. I just want to turn off the new expansion story until I'm done with the other but Jeuno alone throws me into 20 minutes of shit that I'm sure I'd appreciate more in a months time.

That's honestly the worst part of Chains of Promathia, Shantotto, and Rhapsodies of Vana'diel.

Everything else has very specific triggers, but those three are just open from the very beginning and that doesn't contribute to your immersion and enjoyment of the story very well.

I feel like there's one more that fits into this, but I can't remember which.

if anyone wants in the asura LS, send a tell to dawn, supooki, apocarypse, dinotron

missed the guy who wanted in in last night's thread

Any recommended class for someone who plays at awkward times and may need to solo a lot? I have a lot of experience in some other mmorpgs but none with ff11. So if I am expected to know certain mechanics or how to skill chain properly in max level groups i will probably just embarrass myself horribly.

i recommend finding some friends to help you along the way, if nothing else to learn from by asking questions. it's very common to have a million questions when new to XI. the game doesn't hold your hand in any capacity.

any class can solo to 99 and do the full story if that's what you're after. you can even do some of the very low tier end game shit by yourself if you're geared enough and know what you're doing. do you have any preferences out of the 22 jobs to pick from?

My first recommendation to you is to not worry about embarrassing yourself. We all started somewhere and we all fucked up things horribly. It won't take you as long as you think it will, you'll learn things in due time, but the most important thing is that you find people in your time zone that you can play with.

If you're adamant about playing a MULTIPLAYER GAME ALONE, however, then I'd recommend possibly picking up BLU. It's a simple job that encourages exploration, will teach you a lot of the mechanics of the game with enough time, and is strong enough that you'd be able to keep up with others with minimal gear and support.

If Blue Mage doesn't appeal to you, whoever, I'd recommend Beastmaster, Summoner, or Puppetmaster. All three pet jobs will teach you a lot about the game's mechanics but will also provide a lot of strength should you CHOOSE TO PLAY A MULTIPLAYER GAME ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT THE HELP OR COOPERATION OF OTHERS.

I've just hit 90 on thief. What to slay for these 10 merit points because cum shells in zhalyum have devolved to giving near no exp. Yes I am aware there is double/triple exp and i am a bitch boy.

bought it
this better not be shit

bg-wiki.com/bg/Fantastic_EXPs_and_Where_to_Find_Them

XIV's endgame puts way too much emphasis on coordinated memoshit dances (which usually needs a consistent group, which I don't think is the right way to play a MASSIVELY multiplayer game at all) and quickly devolves into overkilling trivial shit a few seconds faster so that you get big tranny scores on an unofficial leaderboard. Is this game free of that problem?

This is so fucking depressing. Most of the world is beastman controlled because nobody levels in those areas anymore. I ran past a level 60 with no subjob, a level 80 in full lizard armor and I accidentally got 10 levels while farming for something trivial. I can't believe how much this game has changed from the incredibly vibrant world I remember.

You're currently getting triple the normal exp. So you would've only got 3.3~ levels in a normal time :^)

Honestly what did you expect? The low level population doesn't really exist anymore so its necessary to expedite the normal player to max level. If you think its bad in FF11 you should see everquest.

I heard there is a bullet/arrow moogle vendor. Can you access that asap or do I need to complete some mission?

If they added trusts and increased the exp rate by 2x it would have been fine. Getting to 99 in a week seems like overkill, they went out of their way to kill the 10 years of hard work and content they put it.

think you need to acquire the first key item from rhapsodies quest line. its not that hard to do iirc.

Are trusts smart enough to help you solo Einherjar? I always wanted to do that event and was never able, if possible I'd love to do it at level 75~ish.

>a game so old it basically looks, sounds, and plays like an Atari 2600 game by today's standards
Maybe I'd get it if it were free, it honestly should be at this point.

Make sure you make a character on the Asura server, or Odin server if you want to play with Japanese. Write it down or something, because if you roll on a different server you may as well uninstall.

>Valid until the end of time.
They're pretty optimistic on the lifespan of FFXI.

Why is this game still sub only

To keep away the shitters.

it's the first gate
second gate is POL
third gate is the game itself

It's the literal price you pay to not have thousands of botters, gil sellers spamming you and HUEBHUEHUEHUE! shitting up the chat. Nothing ruins my ability to sink into a cozy world than that bullshit.

how about a year after being subbed it's free? no one would pay $100+ just for a bot that can get banned instantly

Those dont stop them anyway, FF14 has a paygate and they still get through

11 is just a dedgame with like 500 active players

>Please enter the birthdate with which you registered.
> Please enter the question and answer you have registered.
No site ever asks this shit when you try to reset your password, except of course fucking Square Enix

Currently 1753 online, that's maybe 300 off what you'd see in 2006. The difference is that only 2 servers have that pop and the rest aren't great.

>playing a dead game
>paying money to play a dead game

Just let it go lads

Oh look, I zone into Windurst and get a cutscene shedding more light on the backstory of Shantotto, the character I've yet to meet. I might just grind to 99 and watch the cutscenes online, this shit is rumbling my autism.

rather pay to play dead game than pay to play loot treadmill which in reality just makes it deader game since its spiritually bankrupt.

FFXI is one of the slowest MMOs ever made its literally for people who have no life.
Not as a haha joke no life but literally you can only ever do anything in the game if you allocate hours for it.
Even walking in and out of town to sell shit takes forever.

They should just remake the game as a faster SP RPG.

>Loot treadmills are bad
>FFXI has item levels
>FFXI is a loot treadmill that's been turned off.

>398458484
you're objectively a retard. the difference between ffxi loot treadmill and ffxivs is one of these has actual gear choices and decisions. ffxiv has objective best in slots because every item is just a minor stat difference over its previous ones.

3/10 made me bite but no (((You))) for you mr yoship

If you've gotten the one from Upper Delkfutt, Port Jeuno, Windurst Walls, and the starting towns, then I think you've gotten them all.

From now on you won't get any surprise cutscenes.

It's amazing how much this has to be explained
>The money they get from MMOs & Mobages go to funding their HD Boxed & Digital games (Along with costs of development and matinence)
>Going F2P or B2P will kill the game as it is
>To have it be F2P or B2P or get rid of PlayOnline, they'd have to remake the entire game. Which Nexon are doing for mobile
>expecting that because a game is old, it should be free.
Not saying you shouldn't pirate, but to expect them to make XI a moneysink just because it's old is as dumb as the person in your picture

Did you get memed into playing on Kupo? You don't sound like you've played retail, you can get to max level in a week of very casual playing, or 4 hours of no-lifing; and while the game has years of content you don't have to finish any of it to enjoy the new stuff unlike some games. Just grab the game on sale and give it a try, it's pretty fun.

>never progressing after X years because the gear you got XX years ago is still the best piece of gear

>windurst waters has a second fucking map

ohhh
hohhh my godd
hurrrohhhhhhhhhhh nngggggggg

Yeah, people who choose to live in Windurst make me sick. I love the layout of Jeuno, just a bunch of corridors stacked on top of each-other.

Those expansions weren't really well received anyways.

Here's hilarious review:
web.archive.org/web/20160531034936/http://www.1up.com/reviews/final-fantasy-xi-crystalline-prophecy

I see, thank you. It seems odd to me that they didn't consider the experience of a brand new player, surely these things are QA tested.

I'm a long time player and it didn't make sense to me either. Back then it was fine since there was a long time between expansions that most people had already cleared Zilart by the time Promathia came out, but you still had new players trickling in.

It would have made sense if they were in places out of reach, but a lot of them are in such easily accessible areas that it can be jarring and really hurts your immersion.

a good campaign but I just don't want to play XI now that XIV is superior to it.

The music in most of these areas are really relaxing, I'm enjoying the world a lot so far. This was probably a big deal on release.

I made a guy on Asura. What's the Sup Forums shell? Who should I message?

see

Oh durr I just posted without even checking the thread since I'm playing. I'll log in in probably later tonight but I'll jot the names down at least. Thanks.

Playing something else*

I don't know about everyone else, but the Linkshell I was in back in the day used to organize "trips" where we'd all get together and explore the world.

Usually, our LS leader would phrase it in a way so that he'd get everyone involved and convince them there'd be some reward at the end, but the journey itself was usually the most reward thing. I've got dozens of stories of mischief going down as we'd explore the Northlands or wander around in a desert.

That sounds really fun, I've had similar experiences in some MMOs but not for a long time. There's something about exploring in a good world that's just wonderful, showing a friend a cool hidden spot is one of my favourite things.

I can't stress enough how the type of people you play with will determine your experience with FFXI.

I've been reading these threads for a while and I've come to realize that some people were just downright unlucky and played with some terrible people who ruined the game for them.

I feel so lucky to have played with the guys I did play with, cause I've got nothing but great memories of this game because of it.

Woah, is this the pinnacle of WoW-babbys?

Abyssea does it when you step in Port Jeuno.

Holy shit, this is adorable. I want this guy as a trust member.

So far I've had them in all 3 Jeunos, Windurst Walls and then again outside Windurst, and the first rhapsodies one triggered in Bastok Market, I think. So with any luck I can enjoy the narrative normally after Delkfutt triggers.

It's a little premature to say but I'm enjoying Bastoks storyline so far, it didn't take long before actual things started happening.

It's worth it to try changing nations when you complete it to check out the other nations.

There's some overlap in missions, but the full nation storylines are pretty great.

Yeah, I'd planned to already. I'm also doing my best to be roughly in the level range I'm supposed to be but that might prove difficult to keep up. An user in a previous thread suggested using a fresh job for each storyline, which I think I'll do. I might run into some trouble because I'll only have access to 3 trust members but I'll play it by ear.

Probably Blu mage, or Samurai if learning mob spells takes too long. Samurai has some ability to self-skillchain so you can look up which weaponskills will work for that. Then your trusts can magic burst like Shantotto and kingofhearts.

do beasts just use jugs exclusively now? Trying to find out what class i want to play but it seems there is little point in charming anything as at 60 the jug pets are way more consistent and usually much more dps.

main story line tier list:
sandoria >>> windurst >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> asstok

as a taru who started windy, migrated to bassy, and did sandy last, i have to agree with this man

I really like the San d'Oria storylne for Rochefogne, but I think they're all about equal.

Mapitoto is a girl, actually.
Single name = female Taru (Shantotto)
Hyphenated name = male Taru (Ajido-Marujido)

github.com/Windower/Lua/blob/live/addons/xivbar/README.md

really makes you think

what. XI has a terrible ui. it has a good menuing system for a controller but the ui is utter garbage caused by ps2 limitations.

and for the record XIV has an even worse UI/menu system somehow.

Did you do the 95 genkai yet? Do the mobs that drop the items you want for it. Like the monkeys&crabs in dangruf.

Whats wrong with it

I like the FFXI UI. It's really slim and simple.

My only wish is that there'd be a better way to display what buffs/debuffs are on your allies, but that's the only thing that's missing.

Man, I never knew I could anger people by soloing in MMORPGs. Now I just have more reason to solo.

you can turn this on in vanilla settings

Are fights at end-game on retail still tough? Some of these items are pretty insane, so I can only hope the enemies are equally tough. I just saw a sword that said occasionally hits for triple damage.

you probably saw almace. it takes a shitload of farming NMs and money to make it. all empyrean weapons are that way. it's soloable but takes a long time, depending on your level of autism
the very end fights are super autistic in how much timing and teamwork is involved, and team composition means everything

Yeah, there are a lot of really difficult challenges.

The stat vomit didn't work one way, enemies got buffed and super strong too, to the point that same players cheese everything

It's pretty gay to go into a game if this type and worry about embarrassing yourself. Most players are a lot more respectful towards beginners than you'd expect

Look, you don't piss me off if you say you want to go solo stuff. Some people do it for the challenge, some people do it because they're low on time to play but wanna get stuff done, there's a lot of various great reasons to solo content and the game gives you all the tools to do so if you so desire.

But if your excuse is "I'm afraid of embarrassment" then you're just being stupid. There's information on everything, and if you're still confused you can always just ask people. If you join a party for an NM you want to fight no one is going to hate you for saying "this is my first time, anything I should know?"

If it's a matter of timing specific actions, how do you hope to get better if you don't practice with others? You can try to practice with trusts, but they're not as coordinated as players due to the nature of their AI or scripting.

It's asinine to avoid players, because players can help you do so much.

Question... Will it still be on sale in about 6 hours? I dont get paid until then ;-;

You have exactly 5:51 till it stops, so no. Just go overdrawn and pay it back an hour later, my bank doesn't charge if you pay back within the day.

>MMOs

Yeah well you dont have Jews of America, do you? I might get paid a bit sooner than though so Ill pray and see.

Anyone remember if quests 50+ need you to farm for items? I know the first limit break you need papyrus or something. But does RoV cancel that out now or later ones? I wanna know what level I nneed to take THF up to and which point I can switch to a job that doens't need TH anymore. I'll level up THF to 99 later but wanna do that later, yeah.

For the level 50 LB, you don't need to farm the items anymore. You can collect three pieces of the item from a ??? spot in their respective area to make a whole item. Unfortunately, you still need to collect stuff for later LBs. Mainly kindred crests or whatever. You should be getting those normally from leveling. Don't recall needing to farm anything else.

I suppose THF increases the drop rate for that? I'm retarded though I can sub THF at 30+, though TH2 would be nice. Thanks though, I'll have to think on it.

Why is anyone playing this when an MMO that is literally a sequel to it came out? Is it even still being developed?

Why is anyone playing this when an MMO that is literally a sequel to it came out?

Because it sucks.

>being so broke you can't afford a $10 videogame

How are you going to afford a monthly subscription?

You need to stop playing video games and get your shit together, make a budget, plan your meals, stick to it, and save money so you never have less then $500 in your bank account.

There are a few quests that got updated so you don't need to farm for them, but you'll still encounter a ton of quests that will require you to go out into the wilderness to kill shit for drops. It's not a bad idea to get THF to 99 for that alone, among other things.

You'll also wanna get your crafts up. You can get all crafts to 70, and one to 110 now. I'd recommend doing it if you wanna have an easier time with money making, especially if you can make cursed equip for the 119 abjurations.

New content just got released and they're adding more to it next month.

I normally do, I just had a lot of expenses in the past week. Besides, probably not gonna sub for more than a month or two.

$5000*
he works at walmart so that answers that

It's not a sequel. It's completely different but shares the same models.

Call me when it's free to play

>Encouraging Free to Play in games
stop