Bought it a few days early from a small store that didn't give a shit. It's fantastic so far overall...

Bought it a few days early from a small store that didn't give a shit. It's fantastic so far overall, but is anyone else blown away by how fucking awful it looks? I've defended Switch games before, always said that people are hugely exaggerating how bad the games actually look in real life. But this is seriously unacceptable. Everything is incredibly blurry, their idea of antialiasing is apparently just make everything blurry, which somehow also leaves jagged edges everywhere. Even the in game text and icons are blurry as hell somehow. It literally looks like I'm emulating a PS2 game. And that's not to mention some of the worst lipsyncing I have ever seen in a videogame. I have no idea how they considered this acceptable, I really hope there's a patch coming to fix this.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UorLZhJDA
nintendoeverything.com/switch-battery-life-ranked-by-tons-of-games-based-on-brightness-and-wi-fi-usage/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>but is anyone else blown away by how fucking awful it looks
you're the only one here who has played it bro, so no

Bought it a few days early from a small store that didn't give a shit. It's fantastic so far overall, but is anyone else blown away by how fucking awful it looks? I've defended Switch games before, always said that people are hugely exaggerating how bad the games actually look in real life. But this is seriously unacceptable. Everything is incredibly blurry, their idea of antialiasing is apparently just make everything blurry, which somehow also leaves jagged edges everywhere. Even the in game text and icons are blurry as hell somehow. It literally looks like I'm emulating a PS2 game. And that's not to mention some of the worst lipsyncing I have ever seen in a videogame. I have no idea how they considered this acceptable, I really hope there's a patch coming to fix this.

I'm not the only one who got it early

hows the soundtrack?

is really good as they said?

It's really well done but I haven't heard anything I like as much as my favourite tracks from XC1. Definitely an improvement over XCX though.

The first one was incredibly blurry too.

Nice fake cover OP.

You cannot stop sucking dicks

Post waifu swords

Are you playing Docked or Handheld because I've read this might as well have been a Dock only game.

Jesus christ I just tried it in handheld mode for the first time and it is easily the worst looking Switch game I have played so far. Admittedly I've mostly just played first party Nintendo stuff, but still

It actually makes me feel a little bit better almost. Like there's no way they can't patch this. It looks worse than many PS2 games in handheld mode, there's no way they can leave that.

Post in inside of the case. Im curious what art the out on the inside.

This.

Nice try, faggot. Time to die.

Sorry for shit lighting. It's nice looking though

Not really sure what I could do to prove it other than these pics. Sorry

This is what nutendo enforced low budget and moeshit does to your once-respected IP.

Thanks for the picture. And understanding my fucking typos. I have the special edition coming. Wonder if the art will be the same.

JP Special edition has a different cover.
US/EU special editions will have the same covers as the one posted, as well as the steelbook case.

It cones with a regular case and a steelbook?

It should. EU version I'm 100% sure does.

how the game works in handheld mode?

See It's technically playable I guess, and performance seems pretty consistent between the two from the little I played handheld. But it is by far the worst looking Switch game I've seen in handheld mode

All the promo shots ive seen for the US version only shows the metal case.
They may have dumbed it down to help battery performance on the go.

Kinda reminds me of pre rendered PS1 era promo art, I like it.

An unboxing video of the US versoin that was taken down showed only the metal case.

Is the combat better than XCX?
Cause I hated the combat in XCX

this is what an actual PS2 game looks like. No X2 doesn't look like a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X game but it really doesn't matter.

I'd say yes, though I'm not that far in. That being said, if you absolutely hated the combat in XCX, I'm not sure you'd like this that much much. Watch some gameplay footage

that looks like the hd remastered ver.

How does the game run undocked versus docked? Any big drops in frame-rate so far?

I know what a PS2 game looks like, and I agree with the argument you're making for most other Switch games. But to be clear, XC2 really does look significantly worse than other Switch games. It's a massive, immediately noticeable downgrade compared to Zelda or Odyssey, especially in handheld. That screenshot is not far off from how XC2 looks. That's exactly how the fonts look, and if anything the character models look better in that screenshot at least. The lighting is much better in XC2, but that's about it

Again though, XC2 is a really great game that I'm enjoying my time with. If you liked the other Xenoblade games you will love this. But the visual problems are pretty severe

Fairly steady 30 docked or undocked. A few drops occasionally but nothing massive. Performance is consistent

Do you have an idea how long the battery lasts in handheld mode? I read some people saying it lasts close to 5 hours.

Not sure honestly, I only played like 20 or so minutes in handheld mode.

>Fairly steady 30 docked or undocked. A few drops occasionally but nothing massive. Performance is consistent

Now you know why it looks so bad. I don't know if you know this, but the Switch is a severely underpowered console.

The Switch is by far the strongest handheld we've ever had.
No other handheld can even come close to running Doom, MK8D or what have you the way it does.

I find it depends on the game. Something like Fire Emblem Warriors, Puyo Puyo Tetris, or Fate/Extella can last me four or five hours, but Mario and Zelda really tax it. Two to three tops before it starts begging for a USB-C charging port.

It really is, but I didn't expect this. I know that Zelda or Odyssey could look better on a PC or PS4 or whatever, but they look more than good enough on the Switch so that it doesn't bother me. The portability of the Switch was worth the graphical downgrades there. But XC2 is really something else

>The Switch is by far the strongest handheld we've ever had.
Okay, and? It being the strongest handheld ever and being underpowered aren't mutually exclusive. I really don't know what you expected with XC2's visuals, considering what kind of game it is.

>The Switch is by far the strongest handheld we've ever had.

Yeah, this is true, but that's not a particularly high bar to clear. If Sony was still interested in the Vita or if the myriad of dedicated handheld console/phone hybrids like the N-Gage didn't fail, it'd be a different story.

Sure I don't disagree, but until the day Sony decides to release a Vita 2 this is what people can get if they want handheld gaming. There is nothing else.

Maybe Sony shouldn't have given Nintendo 100% control of the handheld market by abandoning handheld gaming. Competition is good.

Does FEW last that long in quality mode?

What does it look like in handheld mode? Does anybody have actual system shots?

You can't take screenshots of games until the release date.

probably had to compensate loading the massive open world with lots of shit running around compared to BoTW's barren fields

m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UorLZhJDA

feels rip in peace koji wada

fuck wrong thread

Hows the framerate? I really don't give a shit about the graphics as long as we don't have slowdown when things get heated.

I mean come on the Switch isn't a very powerful system, its pretty amazing they could get this on there without any sort of loading.

Pretty consistent 30fps it seems.

It's a pretty solid 30, nothing more than an occasional dip for a second or two. Doesn't have anything as bad as the worst performing areas in Zelda before it was patched. So if you were ok with that you'll have no issues.

What the actual fuck? This is a joke, right?

uhhhhhhhh...................

this can't be real. did game reviewers not preview this game?

Every handheld that comes out anymore is the strongest handheld we've ever had until the next handheld comes out.

Why do people keep saying this like this hasn't been the case?

You're aware you'll be viewing the bottom one on a 6 inch screen right

You are aware that other blown up screenshots of a lot of other switch games don't suffer anywhere near that loss of graphical quality, right?

This is pretty much accurate yeah. It doesn't look quite as bad when you're in motion and not looking over a giant scenic view like that, but it is what it is. The character models in particular are pretty horrifying.

Both of the shots there are at the screen's native resolution of 720p. Your eyes will still be able to see the difference.

>game is out in less than 24 hours
>no reviews yet
UH OH

Why are you basing the graphic fidelity on a blown up screenshot in the first place? Shitposting fuel?

>newest piece of a certain technology is better than the pieces of technology before it
STOP
THE
PRESSES

It literally looks like the game was run through a GIF converter. Compression artifacts and dithering out the ass. This is way more egregious than a simple resolution cut. I don't know how they managed to get it to look this bad.

Opinion on the story and characters so far? Is it really as tropey and animu as it seems?

Why don't you take pictures of the game in portable mode

The point was that you can take a screenshot of other switch games and display them on a bigger screen that same way and they don't look anywhere near that ugly.

That is a huge visual downgrade, one of the most blatant on the system from docked to handheld.

I imagine it has to do with getting the game to run for 5 hours in handheld mode.

What's worse, Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in handheld mode?

3ds easily

Is that image supposed to look better than XB2? They both look like blurry messes because they're blown up

That screenshot is at native resolution.

They didn't blow it up any to make it look worse.

Literally none of my Switch games last for more than 3 hours in portable mode. I don't anticipate that XC2 will be any different.

Now view it in a 6 inch windie, genius.

Graphics are destined to be shit on Switch, however, do I have to keep this little shit in my party? or can I toss him?

I think the embargo is up on Dec 1st so they will probably be uploaded then.

>Literally none of my Switch games last for more than 3 hours in portable mode
You only own Skyrim, Zelda and Mario Rabbids?

nintendoeverything.com/switch-battery-life-ranked-by-tons-of-games-based-on-brightness-and-wi-fi-usage/

That's why I'm still hoping for a patch. They can't consider this acceptable

I'm enjoying it, but it's definitely very anime. It really feels like a true sequel to the first XC game in terms of tone, so if you enjoyed that you will enjoy this. Story isn't anything crazy yet, but I'm sure it'll get more involved later on since that's how XC1 was as well

I don't think I can take actual screenshots yet, and taking pictures with my phone isn't going to be an accurate impression. It looks bad, but I'd want to be fair at least

>They both look like blurry messes because they're blown up
>Blown up
Both of those are native resolution.

I'll put them side by side. If you can't see the difference, you need to see an optometrist.

>don't think I can take actual screenshots yet
Hit the screenshot button knucklehead.

I own Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Monster Hunter XX, LA Noire, and soon XC2.

I don't know. I always used mine in performance mode.

>the embargo is up on Dec 1st
That's literally the release date. That's as late as the embargo could possibly be

the 6 inch screen isn't going to make that not look horrid at that level of aliasing.

It looks horrid next to other handheld versions of games on the system.

But aren't I blocked from uploading them before the release date or something? I've honestly never used the screenshot feature before, no clue how it works

nice it looks like FF7

Don't be a knucklehead, pinhead.

>Not showing the cart.
>Or the back
You can keep trying OP

What? No. Hit the screenshot button and you'll have a 720p jpg you can di whatever you wish

>I don't think I can take actual screenshots yet, and taking pictures with my phone isn't going to be an accurate impression. It looks bad, but I'd want to be fair at least

Would you be so kind, anyway? I'll take whatever I can get here.

Just don't upload it directly from your Switch to twitter

Don't be stupid.

Look how much more detail and in general stuff going on in that XC2 shot. You are just shitposting.

I guess it wouldn't make a difference considering quality mode cuts the framerate in half anyway.

Yeah, twice the detail, and half the pixels to show it with.

90% of the "detail" you see there is just a texture.

The game looked fine on all the footage we've seen so far. If undocked performance is having issues it most likely means there will be a day one patch.

This game just looks really low quality in general. Voice acting, lip syncing, graphics (even for something stylized), and the combat looks shitty but I don't want to be unfair since I haven't played it. I know why it's being hyped up, it's gonna be on Switch, but I don't think that should score it extra points.

>but they'll patch it!

They won't patch shit and you know it.

Yeah bro, just like they didn't patch Zelda.

I'm curious about this too, how do I get at the screenshots? Do I have to post them on facebook/twitter and then grab them from there? Its been 8 months Nintendo why the fuck does this thing not have a web browser yet

animations can get wonky, too.

It feels like they gave a mediocre technical group a high class budget and they didn't know how to deliver a high class product.