Starting this game up for the first time and I heard it's pretty big and has a lot of systems

Starting this game up for the first time and I heard it's pretty big and has a lot of systems.

Should I use a guide or go in blind?

Blind.
The game handhold you for a few hours at the start anyway.

I've got two words for you, user

side
kick

Blind. Why would you ever use a guide on a 1st playthrough?

Be warned there is stupid puzzle and mini game near the beginning but it gets better.

Sophia is best girl, I love her. albel is better girl but pls do not say a word!

Nah, while the game will handhold you for ceratin about HOW to do things, there's waaaaaaaay too many secret but easy to do shit that you'll need a guide for. If you don't, and you start crafting and stuff, or you think you've mastered the early combat, you'll discover a guide or tip 20 hours and and realize you've wasted all of your fucking time and resources by being a dumbass, even though it wasn't your fault.

So YES to
Crafting
Treasure Locations

otherwise you're fine.

AIR

thanks

Best girl? say no more

/threat

save all your synthesis materials, the game has a limited quantity

Of course you go in blind. What kind of softcock poofter reads up on how to play a game before they play it? Outside of a quick flick through the manual, of course.

Just two off-the-bat things you might want to know.
1. A lot of enemies have attacks that can reduce your MP rather than(or in addition to) your HP. Be very careful of this, because you have far less MP, and if a character's MP hits zero they croak just like when they run out of HP.
2. There's some kind of unique bonus if you do the VR combat tutorial enough times but I've forgotten what it was. You won't be able to come back and do it later.

That's a weird picture of Nel, doesn't look anything liker her.

> but I've forgotten what it was.
Just a like/love point change like many private actions. It's very easy to fail the third stage if you haven't played the game for a while or if you are new and you're frankly likely to lose and just lose likiness points with everyone. A new player is far better off quitting after the second round.

Star Ocean: Stuck on Elicoor II Till the End of Time

Star Ocean thread? I'm playing pic related after beating the first one on PSP. Any major differences I should know about when compared to PSX version? I know about the art style changes (Rena looks a lot worse in this remake).

As someone who has never played ANY Star Ocean game before

Is the latest one bad as in "Worse than every other game" or just outright bad

Star Ocean: An Entire Universe But We're In The Middle Ages

But you wouldn't even notice because you are staring at the minimap the whole time, which takes up a good 30% of the screen

In addition to the incredibly major downgrade in graphics and voice clips (the original was 'so bad it's good', quite preferable to vanilla 'just bad'.) the battle system is totally ruined. The three hit combo breaks the game. I implore you to play the real Star Ocean 2 instead.

are any of these SO's any good? I have only played SO4 and left a sour taste in my mouth. Tri-ace was maybe still is pure fucking trash

They removed a couple elements and reassigned their spells to others, and you might need to plan your final party more carefully because a reoccurring series character is now recruitable. This is notable because you can only have eight people total, can't get rid of them after they join, and it was already possible to hit the limit before you've met everyone that can possibly join. You should probably play the PSX version instead, in general.

The first three are quite good in their original forms. The PSP remakes are rubbish, however.

The first three, yeah. Tri-Ace was god-tier up until the 360/PS3/Wii gen. Don't know what happened after that.

EVERYTHING WAS FUCKING VR THE WHOLE TIME. EVEN NELL WAS JUST VR. NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS IN THIS GAME.

>"muh anti technology bullshit law"
>spending 20 hours on a barbarian shithole before we actually get to the decent parts

They really dropped the ball on this shit, star ocean 2 also had you spend half the game in a medieval shithole but at least it was pretty fun for the most part.

Why is Star Ocean so shit?

shitty plot twists

they numbed the combat down so just mash x to win

So what you're saying is I should just get the PS1/X version for PSP?

>Maria Traitor (Traydor)
>doesn't betray you

gay

>Star Ocean
>Oh shit it takes place in the future where space travel is a thing I can't wait to play this futuristic RPG
>lol jk you're always stuck on a planet with medieval level technology for 99% of the game

hell Elicoor in SO3 had a neighboring country with apparently 20th century earth tier technology but you don't even get to see it.

Because some people want to do everything possible on the first playthrough so they don't have to waste time on a second

Have you ever watched the original Star Trek? What the Star Ocean series essentially based itself on? Most of the episodes were about Kirk stumbling onto backwater planets and having to fight his way back to the Enterprise.

oh the game that killed the series for me, ho blind user is not that hard of a game.

DIMENSION
MIRROR
I CAN GO ON FOREVER

The only thing you shouldn't be blind on is which party members you want to take with you since you pick two of a possible four:

Nel
Albel
Roger
Peppita

Unfortunately Mirage and Adray are mandatory and you can't swap them out to have all four of the original choices. Mirage is just girl Kliff and Adray is literal shit.

>Oh cool kickass samurai dad
>lol jk he's a mage and never actually uses his sword as a sword
>and he's not even good at being a mage

Or for your PS1/PS2/PS3/(PS4? I don't know) or PC based PS1 emulator but failing any alternative with a decent sized screen, yes, even on PSP the PS1 version is surely the superior experience. If you can see it.

>Most of the episodes
It was certainly a frequently used plot element but 'most episodes' is quite an exaggeration.

FAIWY FWEND

Do Star Ocean games need to be played in order?

>oh the game that killed the series for me
Well then you're a retard with shit taste, because 3 was the series peak, 4 is what ruined it.

No. 4 is actually the earliest in the time line, basically when humans first leave the solar system.

Everyone please just play Star Ocean The Second Story for psx, not the psp remakes, if you want to jump into the series. By far the best story and combat for the series. 4 and 5 massively disssapointend me. 3 is ok, but 2 is kino for the series.

Not like it matters.

You won't finish it unless you can tolerate some of the most generic and boring gameplay/dialogue ever in a video game.

God how does Star Ocean have so many games in it? It's always been so bad.

How does item creation and post game content compare to 3's massive amount?

You played 4 and decided to attribute 4's garbage ear rape dialogue to 3 for some reason. 3's dialogue isn't nearly as bad.

All of them are boring, terrible, generic garbage. Just like the Tales series.

So clicking through menus is fun for you I take it? Fuck off retard.

>Star ocean 4 ported to PC
>Crowe still not a party member

That's boring and terrible as well.

Which is a good starting point to play and judge whether to lay the rest of the series on?

UNBELIEVABLY WEAK

>Hates turn based jrpg
>Hates action jrpg

If you hate jrpgs why are you in a jrpg thread?

I've only played 1, 3 and 4. Avoid 4 like the plague, the voice acting and teletubby like characters will turn you off the series. 1 is not bad but way too short. I've heard good things about 2, but 3 was one of my favorite jrpgs ever.

To answer OP and warn him.

Star ocean the second story is better ..these are my fav jrpgs cause you can actually control you character and swing you sword and stuff

I would start at 2 and if you like 3 next. 2s story overall is stronger as 3 pulls some cheap shit halfway through...though kind of pulls it off. Combat is about the same in both and fun compared to final fantasy menu action.

had that stupid twist not existed i would agree, but it render the entire series worthless to me, but by all means keep eating shit if you liked it so much.

>m-muh tweeest

Typical mating call of the retard, was actually handled quite well.

keep eating shit, no wonder you like the word retard so much.

You seem to be fixated on your scat fetish, keep it in /mlp/ you fucking degenerate.

God the plot twist in this one is fucking stupid.

Handling a shitty twist well does not make it good. Breaking the 4th wall as a plot device wrecks any imursion you feel as now you're fully aware you are playing a video game.

>Breaking the 4th wall as a plot device
That's not what they did at all, do you even know what that means?

I started the game blind and got the edgelord villain to join my party and follow me offworld.
I later learn from a guide that you can either get the edgelord or the hot redhead ninja.
Restarted the game just to get the hot redhead instead.
The villain did nothing wrong. Boohoo we killed some of our Sims character we so evil.
Nel Zepher best girl.

But Roger is better than both of them. Besides you could have gotten Nel later, but that would mean ignoring real best girl Peppita.

Characters performing in a simulation becoming aware they are in a simulation and go into the world of the creators of the simulation. How is that not breaking the wall between actors and an audience?

Because the creators of the simulation are also characters of a simulation? Breaking the fourth wall applies to YOU, not Luther.

>calling a retard did not work so i will accuse him of liking some weird fetish
you are so pathetic

I agree but this one did not break the 4th wall as it was "aliens" that are playing the MMO, the main problem is the pure stupidity and turn off of seeing your characters jumping off a screen and how the game had unique Star Trek like setting and not only does poor use of it but throws it all out of the window.

You stopped addressing the argument, there was nothing else to reply to but your fixation on eating shit. You're retarded.