Polygon's Top 500 GOAT

web.archive.org/web/20171201232815/https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/27/16158276/polygon-500-best-games-of-all-time-500-401

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VOyd_lpW0as
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>WoW is #7

If Skyrim is top 10 that's it

>Minecraft is #8
>Tetris is #1
Fucking game journos.

>kim kardashian game
>it's good because look at these sales numbers
sonybro logic, not even once.

>Minecraft and WOW are above Super Metroid

>polygon list
>it's terrible
saved you the time of clicking it

This is literally one of the worst lists like this that I have ever seen.
>skyrim above oblivion
>gone home in top 100
>pretty much all of the rest of it
I realized that are just too many examples of how fucking awful this list is.

>sonybro
>game for Andriod and iPhones

>gone home in top 100

>oblivion is good now because normies like skyrim more
cmon now

Surprisingly the top wasn't completely awful. Plenty of questionable choices but nothing that would make me instantly rage like I expected.

We all know that Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion. That's one of the few things this list actually got right.

Oblivion was always better than Skyrim, user. You had to pick a path instead of mastering everything, it had better quest lines, different races actually looked like different races, no fast travel.

The list goes on and on. Skyrim isn't worse because normies like it, it's worse because it was designed for them to like it.

>reading a top 5fucking00 list
>polygon

Fuck off with this complete dogshit you fucking cunt

>no fast travel
Oblivion has fast travel though.

Top 20
20. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST
19. CIVILIZATION 2
18. CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT
17. PORTAL
16. SUPER MARIO 64
15. SIMCITY
14. HALF-LIFE 2
13. STARCRAFT
12. GRAND THEFT AUTO 3
11. FINAL FANTASY 6
10. SUPER METROID
9. STREET FIGHTER 2
8. MINECRAFT
7. WORLD OF WARCRAFT
6. MS. PAC-MAN
5. POKEMON RED AND BLUE
4. DOOM
3. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA
2. SUPER MARIO BROS. 3
1. TETRIS

>Kim Kardashian mobile game rated higher than Devil May Cry

I get this is all clickbait, but it got me.

At least they chose the right Castlevania.

>6. MS. PAC-MAN

Of course they chose that one.

Can an user just gives us a 500 bullet list so I can ctrl+f games I like

Tetris is such a fucking cop out answer for 1.
It's like doing a list of the top 500 foods and concluding that sandwiches are the best.

sony makes android phones

Pokemon Red and Blue is objectively archiac mechanically and has been objectively improved upon with every subsequent release. The greatest defense of Red and Blue is the subjective “gamefeel” - yes, the atmosphere is different and more serious/less childlike than all subsequent games. This is a subjective point to its merit, but there are infinitely more objective demerits. Pokemon Red and Blue being in one of these lists is always a sure sign the people are making safe pics out their ass

This is why Red++ is GOAT tier

better than Twitter like Charlie Brooker
>le epic black mirror meme twist

Would you?

Rice would be more it
>can't go wrong with the one that started it all!

Its better than the original though

>5. POKEMON RED AND BLUE
>3. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA
Fucking how
Both of these games are mediocre at best and are only still relevant today for jumpstarting two of the biggest video games franchises of all time
There's no fucking reason for the original LoZ to be higher than LttP or for Pokemon Red and Blue to be the highest rated RPG period
At least SotN is up there I guess

I don't even know how to respond to this. Where do I even begin? God only knows what the rest of it looks like.

>jumpstarting two of the biggest video games franchises of all time
That's the only reason they are on there.

Yeah, that little bow makes all the difference.

>You had to pick a path instead of mastering everything
You can be pretty much be master of everything in Oblivion, too. You can get all skills to 100. And be master of every guild.

>different races actually looked like different races
Lol what? Different races look like different races in Skyrim just as much as Oblivion. The only difference is Oblivion has the funny potato faces and maybe a bit more color saturation all around.

>no fast travel.
Wrong. You can fast travel in Oblivion right when you get out of the sewer, which is actually worse than Skyrim. In Skyrim, you have to travel to the major cities on foot or by carriage before you can fast travel to them.

The only one you got right was the better quest lines. It's kind of sad because there are quite a few things you could've brought up in Oblivion's favor that are actually correct, but you didn't.

>5. POKEMON RED AND BLUE
>1. TETRIS
Christ when will there be a list that doesn't get fucked by legacy points? Red and Blue are obsolete garbage filled with bugs and glitches and is kept together by duct tape, it's only brought up because nostalgia and because it started the series and it has been improved upon multiple times.

Tetris isn't bad but isn't great either, it's a simple puzzle game that sits on mediocrity that survives on historic value alone and whose quality is often blown out of proportion by pretentious faggots who think minimalism and simplicity automatically make a game better, it's like the chess of the video game industry.

Why does Sup Forums get so autistic whenever a list like this is posted? This shit is entirely subjective.

Don't forget the beauty mark.

Even as a top 20 that list is abismal and all those involved should be set alight for three and a half minutes before being shot in the face

>I never played Ms. Pacman

>466. Depression Quest
>434. KIM KARDASHIAN: HOLLYWOOD
>higher than F-Zero
>higher than Wipeout
>higher than Bully
>higher than Cave Story
>higher than Ori and the Blind Forest
>higher than Star Fox 64
>higher than 999
>higher than Gravity Rush
>higher than fucking Timesplitters 2

>show me some god damn respect, my kid fought in two wars and helps build homes for the homeless

>Dark Cloud 2 absolutely nowhere

What the fuck is this shit

>not a single Sony or M$ game
This is why both those companies have no business being in the industry.

>Depression Quest
That's not even a game, just a little fuck you hidden in there.

These games should be based on their own goddamn merit instead of how much money they've made
I know Polygon is retarded but goddamn

Validates our prejudice and most people here enjoy the anger

It makes no sense not to have the original Pacman above Ms Pacman going by Polygon's own logic in putting LoZ above LttP or Pokemon R/B/Y over Fire Red/Leaf Green.

It's obvious why they did it too since "Ms" Pacman is more "progressive".

Honestly that's probably the best call for number 1 it has an appeal that pretty much everyone can grasp and all have fun with. Tetris is peak video game.

>Another list filled with *Nostalgia* choices
>Tetris

FUCK OFF

>Best mode of transport

27. Coming in at #27 is the Toyota Land Cruiser, it can drive across Arctic tundra or the African Serengeti versatile and very popular
1. Horse and Cart, remember this? Simple and effective, and lots of people used it once, so it remains #1 Mode of transport

How about shit on them for including worse games near the top and not for picking better games because of your paranoid reasons?

>if it weren't for the ford model T, who knows where the automotive industry would be today :)

Except that all elves in Skyrim look the same, while the elves in oblivion are either giant ass altmer, tiny little bosmer, or dunmer. Seriously, bosmer are like 4 feet all in oblivion. The human races are a joke, they all look the same in Skyrim. The only one you can identify are Redguard because duh.

I admit I forgot about the fast travel though.

This is how I know you're a reactionary who doesn't play video games he bitches about Ms. Pacman is a faster harder version of Pacman making it objectively the better version.

>money they've made
you meant were revolutionary games for their time and influenced mainstream culture right?

1. WATER
Don't want to die? This classic beverage will ensure that you don't perish due to thirst.

>480: QWOP
I feel physically ill.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's all fucking true

game journos mongs, you fucking idiots should be working in Starbucks

fucking casual
1 should be absinthe, filters out real plebs

Gasp a list made by a human who is subject to cognitive bias doesn't have the same top 500 list as you when it comes to video games, we should burn games journos at the stake.

>Tetris is #1

What a fucking boring #1. Tetris is cool, but it gets a bit redundant after like 10 minutes and is only fun to play once in a while. Its like saying a regular potato is the best food there ever was, over things like baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, french fries, home fries, etc.

Am I retarded or is there no way to see any past 301?

ONLY THE MOST NEWEST AND MOST POLISHED PRODUCTS GETS MY VOTE REEEEEE
HISTORY AND/OR CONTEXT BE DAMNED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>3. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

If that referred to the franchise as a whole, sure.
It doesn't, though, so they are fucking retarded.
Even something relatively old like Link's Awakening tops it.

>forza motorsports 4 above all the other forza motorsports titles
>horizon 3, gran turismo 1 and gran turismo 3 also on there
Yo, that's actually pretty good

its polygon so it'll be a polygon list.

therefore bad

Except there are older games that hold up to today's standards you fucking prick

The archives links are fucked. I gave up and just went to polygon (I have adblock, shoot me in the leg)

I might get around to making a .txt with just the games and ranks

Fuck off, Polygon. Your list is trash.

>dance dance revolution at 53rd

On that note: Where is Touhou, or any other doujin game?
We don't even have to limit ourselves to Japanese indie games. Sengoku Rance?

Both are without a doubt in an objective top 500.

You can find an alphabetical list in the comment section to 100-1.

You can also find this observation in there:

Final list contains:
-Two Assassin’s Creed games
-Two Arkham games
-Three Civ games
-Three Elder Scrolls games
-Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3
-Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, AND New Vegas
-Four Tony Hawk games
-Four Street Fighter games
-Five Grand Theft Auto games
-Six Metal Gear Solid games
-Seven Zelda games
-EIGHT Final Fantasy games
-FOURTEEN games that start with "Super Mario"

So, yeah.

Nope, they mean the NES original. Some game series only have one entry, while others, like those above which they have actually bothered to play at some point in their lives, have games listed separately.

As they both should be.

Not him, but here's something to think about you autistic millennial infant:

"normies" played Oblivion too.

Skyrim was just a shit game, buggy, ugly, with boring quests, an utterly uninteresting story and nothing like what lying Todd Howard advertised.

I played Oblivion through multiple times.

I went out and bought Skyrim day fucking one of release a couldn't bare to keep playing the game after my first damn session.

Complete shit.

Pokemon was revolutionary and nothing was like it before, Zelda was as almost as huge as Mario and Tetris is so good and universally understood that aliens who don't understand humans at all could pick it up and play it.
Name 3 old games that deserve as much recognition as fucking Zelda, Pokemon and Tetris

>archive link

10 bucks saying you would have posted that exact same image if they directly linked Polygon except said
>linking to polygon

>Guild Wars 2 above all the other Guild Wars games

why are multiples of the same series a problem?

>Tetris is cool, but it gets a bit redundant after like 10 minutes
Well that's only if you are a casual faggot. Ask TGM GMs who played tetris hard for over a decade if they got bored.

youtube.com/watch?v=VOyd_lpW0as

Why do lists always put legend of zelda 1 and super mario bros 1 when the later entries are objectively better? Why do people do that?

It would imply people having knowledge of these games. Can't expect anyone or even a team making a "top anything" to just know about all games.

Should we include visual novels too then? Something like Ever17 could easily find a place into a top 500.

It's only a problem in cases where they seemingly group an entire series with one title, like Beatmania or DDR, yet list those out separately. If you're going to put a DDR on a list like this, it really shouldn't be the very first one.

Otherwise, this just shows which games they actually play instead of which they felt necessary to acknowledge without really knowing much about it.

For music games like IIDX the latest would be the best then, there's just no reason to prefer anything below Empress CS for IIDX since it's the most complete/definitive experience you can get on a home console.

And the soundtrack is something too subjective to judge. So when it comes to feature/interface/extra, the newer the better.

Jesus christ, I didn't even see Depression Quest when I first looked through this.

>Sonic 3K isn't even fucking on there, but Colors is.
>Depression Quest is better than Sonic 3K

I don't know why I expected better from Polygon. Fuck 'em.

Well, that's on the extreme end. I just mean bored compared to all the games we have to play now. I would never have the determination to play tetris in a hardcore fashion because the interest just isn't really there for me.

It's extreme because it's one of the best player, but you have a community that still play Tetris. Not everyone is as crazy as this guy and granted it's not millions people, but it's there.

Tetris isn't boring for people looking up for a challenge and constantly improve and is still fun for millions of casual who just do a quick game on their phone, on a web browser or a console.

Does it deserve #1? Well for a game to still be played decade after its creation, I'd say yes for sure. Only minimal changes have been made to the original design and yet it's still not dead. If that's not #1 then what is.