How do you revitalize the RTS genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MgSQcY89SSc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=d3oV52OwrdU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

More age of empires

More dakka

more stronghold-like gameplay
there should be a focus on offense and defense but you also need a working economy with various production chains

>More age of empires
You're gonna get your wish, user, for better or for worse.

C&C5 with budget 300billion $

agreed. if stronghold had good combat, i feel it would be up there with starcraft in god tier rts games

I miss red alert

Release Warcraft IIII

Something like Natural Selection 2 but more casual
Add in a lot of bots to make casuals feel good, put the shooter portion on consoles so you can command console players. Add in 2 or 3 more factions (infection type, chaos type, guerrila type), give it a cool aesthetic it would probably do well.

>Relic
Oh no.

done.

It's a $60 title exclusively on Origin infested with progression lootboxes and all the other bullshit EA can throw at it and has to sell in insane number of copies and generate mad bank[

Yes, yes! Hell, even without combat, strategically managing an economy in real-time and trying to out-jew your opponents is fun as fuck. Pic related showed me that

>relic

More innovation. No more
>gook click-em-ups
>micro hell
>le small 1337 squad of soldiers
Those aren't strategy, they're just build order memorization, and APM. This is why Grand Strategy and 4x genres are surging and have effectively replaced the former popularity of RTS. Strategy games need planning and thinking, and less reflexes. More RTSs need to be like this game
where formulating a keikaku and thinking two steps ahead is rewarded

>power shortage
>buy a bunch of cheap silicon off the market
>people start building solar panels out of silicon
>sell my silicon for a hefty profit

Map design is also a huge factor in how replayable a rts is, both online and against ai, especially in terms of macro. Supreme Commander is a good example. Sure, there's a few basic opening steps that will always be similar, but the map variety and how players exploit it and react to each other always kept it fresh.

When you compare that to the moba-tier map design in SC2 and DoW3, it's night and day.

Re-make all the C&Cs and keep their camera angles, just increase their graphical fidelity and modability and nice features like upscaling or downscaling.

add waifus

The 'traditional' forms of RTS are already perfected. AoE, SC, AoM, C&C, SupCom ect. These games have perfected that form of RTS and nothing can compete with it.

But there is plenty of other forms of RTS that could be made. We dont for example have a city builder that is also a RTS, like Simcity/Cities Skyline with combat.

All these women and no feet visible. Pathetic.

*blocks ur path*

sounds liek you faggots just want to play city builders and castle builders

lords of the realm is THAT WAY --->>>>

battlezone '98 redux
battlezone 2
dark reign 2 is an overlooked masterpiece.

The female t-34 commanders make so much more sense now

More missions where you kill civilians and a weak armed force.

Supreme Commander 3
Homeworld 3
Ground Control 3
except make all the games more like their first installment than their second

oh and another Men of War game

Innovation.

Spellforce 3 is pretty fun. The lack of diversity between the races sucks hard though, and the extremely small amount of maps is annoying. Why did they not release a map editor, fuck.

More focus on single player, co-op and modding, less focus on competitive play.

Make MOBAs illegal.

desu RTS died for a reason

go back to any of them, you will do a single skirmish, and thats a maybe, and quit immediately. you can't enjoy them for hours and hours in a row like before because they are simply not that good.

RTT and turn based are the only ways to go

RTS is a dead end, it's overwhelming micro for scrubs, and too simple strategy for professionals

Ground Control 1 is alright. Nowhere near as good as MechCommander 1 though, but then again, few games are.

>Why did they not release a map editor, fuck.

>2017
>expecting a map editor

bad news for U

not really the same kind of game

btw mech commander 1 and 2 are freeware now in case anyone in this thread fcares

RTS need to have it so you can both turtle and build fuck huge armies before death

Dawn of War 3 came out with a full map editor.

This but with a multiplayer campaign map

based on what I've heard that must be the only good thing about the game

>How do you revitalize the RTS genre?

We ritually sacrifice you on an altar and spread your ashes at the entrance to Activision Blizzard, Relic and EA.

The game is the next DoW2. It's a good game but the fake 40k fanbase did their best to kill it off.
Problem being that GFWL did not have player numbers whereas Steam has. It made their autistic fits that much more potent.

How about a Multiplayer Sci-fi RTS Survival game.

You and everyone else plays as Colonist on a procedurally generated and very dangerous world. Your goal is to conquer the planet but it's natural denizens are fucking brutal. You start off in a relatively safe area and then must expand out word in PVE missions that gather resources as well as accomplish goals. At the end of these missions you're resources are collected and added to a whole. It takes a fucking insane amount of anything to upgrade and research but with everyone working together you get better and better together. People who are more attuned to fighting can take on combat missions to clear out more space for expansion and those more suited to the quiet grind can gather resources. Eventually you'll get to the end and the world will be done and conquered. Then it's off to start a new game with new people on a whole nother world.

That's just a general idea but what do you think?

Ban consoles.

See:

I am a very "wait and see" person, but this makes me uncomfortable for reasons not entirely clear to me.

Wololo

>That's just a general idea but what do you think?

Gas Powered Games died trying to crowdfund a game like that.

I see your parents dropped you on your head a few times during infancy.

>Strategy games need planning and thinking, and less reflexes. More RTSs need to be like this...
But less people want that or are even capable of this, so they do not sell as well as "strategy" clickers.

Ayooooo is better.
youtube.com/watch?v=MgSQcY89SSc

I could make a video about DoW3 with actual evidence and reasoning why some design decisions are counter productive and awful.
DoW2 was hated for no reason other than being different, so only arguments being thrown around was "muh AI" and "muh big base".

okay, I guess?

Units with more intelligence? So it's more like giving commands to an actual squad?
Almost something like Arma 3 Zeus but where the ai doesn't get stuck constantly.

>Gas Powered Games died trying to crowdfund a game like that.
Really? Damn

OpenRA exists.
Do we need more than that?

Loot crates.

>DoW2 was hated for no reason other than being different
What about the reason that they completely screwed the expectations of the fans of the first game? Whether or not it results in a good or even better game is irrellevant if it was basically falsely advertised and sold under a false pretense.

planetary annihilation but good.

They made age of empires online and are currently not doing anything, I don't even know how they are still open.

more macro less micro

>DoW2 was hated for no reason other than being different

Yeah, no.
I could make a video with actual evidence and yadda yadda about what was seriously fucked up in that game as well.

That's Majesty.

I always wanted something that spanned all of human history, from the first hunter gatherers up to nuclear power and plasma weapons.
And with a convoluted tech tree that has many interconnections and requirements of one tech for another, example you need mirror tech to research laser tech.
Then I could find the fastest route to nuclear weapons and glass the planet from the equivalent of the Roman Empire.
The strategy could come from what techs you research/ignore.

Was literally a game for no one, DOW1 people didn't like it DOW2 didn't like it either, moba people fucking just play actual moba's. It's dogshit. By trying to appeal to everyone including mobafags they appealed to no one.

Starcraft is the epitome of macro and people dislike it.

What about a war game, where you strictly play as the logistical side? You have to gather resources like food, water, equipment, and munitions. The more you have, the better chance of your troops winning the battle and keeping the enemy from taking your country and raping your princesses or princess equivalent

so basically a better empire earth

It was meant to appeal to normal RTS players who hadn't found love in DoW 2 and it does.

The problem? They don't buy games anymore.

world of tanks neetbux

and its the only rts that still played alot though

no

empire earth does that, and the problem is everyone will sit around teching until they're at the final age before they actually start to fight becaus they want to see all the ages

>starcraft is the epitome of macro

they literally have added shit you have to click on just for the sake of clicking more.

Kek ye people don't buy shitty games. Review don't lie, age of empires has good reviews on steam and a active competitive community that runs tournaments today. Dawn of war 3 has already been forgotten.

This is some monkey's paw shit.

>Convoluted mechanics out of the ass.
You mean a worse Empire Earth.

RTS games are not fucking Disgaea. Even Disgaea has extreme problems getting people through all the mechanics with newcomers and you're describing something that would make Disgaea look like checkers in comparison.

Spellforce 3 has some of that, not as autistic as Stronghold but it has some production chains and some interresting worker management.

the RTS part is very weak tho, but its got an RPG part aswell.

and the only reason is because of the esports meme

Macromanagement involves a fuckton of clicking. Welcome to reality, it's in the name itself "macro" as in big as in lot.

I bought this game because it looked like CK meets TW but I can't get into it.

Any tips for absolute noobs? It looks fun.

Soon..

Then we'd need an Empire Earth where early aggression makes a difference.
It didn't help in EE when everything but wood was infinite piles, so there was no incentive to do anything but turtle.

Rise of Nations.

no it doesn't. that's just microing your economy.
starcraft has retarded lingo. just because they call it macro doesn't mean it is. it's just economic micro.

actual macro is decision making. i.e. I want to expand now with half my workers. it could take two clicks or 200 clicks to actually implement, but the clicking is always micro.

How about something like Pikmin mixed with CoH? I'm trying to think of something but could that work?

Stop trying to make them esports and focus on fun

Little king story!

Oh, didn't know about this, how is it?

this

I want a new Empire Earth.

It's fun, also I misread your post as CK2 rather than CoH. In that respect the closest thing to come to mind is rise and fall: civilizations at war. Which is alright.

Anyone played Impossible Creatures? Literally the only RTS that kept my interest through the entire campaign.

how to do RTS/FPS mix well:
>4/5 player team
>1 is the commander, builds defences, economy, cheap spam units, traditional RTS style
>3-4 are heroes. very powerful, can level up and gain upgrades
>commander does not give orders to heroes, but must coordinate with them
>maps must not have traditional wide open plains which suck donkey balls in first person, small enough for the heroes to traverse in a reasonable time

so basically an RTS where you support MOBA heroes

Is it worth getting i to Starcraft 2 now that its free?

You can't just redefine shit like that.
Macro has always meant economics of the game and that's the gist of it. Whether it's easy or not to execute the economy right is where the real degree of macro importance comes from.
Macro is trivial in C&C, the games are thus decided by micro. Ditto for Warcraft 3.
99% of matches in Starcraft are decided on Macro alone, no amount of inhuman micro is going to allow a group of 5 units kill 50. The game is decidedly macro-centric.

I'm still playing it for fun and I got it when WoL first came out, so... maybe? Idk, maybe you'll enjoy it or you wont, I mean it's free so you can check yourself with no consequences.

>You can't just redefine shit like that.
yes, which is why SC2 players should stop trying.

>macro has always meant economics
>this is what SC2 babbies actually believe

macro is short for macromanagement, meaning management on a large scale, where individual (micro) details do not matter. for example, drawing a battle line in HOI4 is a really good example of macro. defining where you want to hold, and the units figure it out by themselves.

>so basically an RTS where you support MOBA heroes

The Sins of a Solar Empire people made a game like that and eventually dropped it for a plain moba.

FOr fuck's sake, Sup Forums. Do you even play any fucking vidya? You're all clueless fucks when it comes to anything that' not Babby's first RTS.

never heard of it. probably sucked.

>no amount of inhuman micro is going to allow a group of 5 units kill 50
Wrong faggot.
1 vulture can kill infinite melee units

>You will never experience the bitterness and futility of war because of your attention span.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=d3oV52OwrdU