Polygon ranks FF from worst to best

polygon.com/features/2017/12/19/16793294/ranking-the-numbered-final-fantasy-games

W
E
W

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/qFile
archive.is/qFile
ign.com/articles/2016/05/15/ranking-the-final-fantasy-games?page=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no dirge of cerberus
shit list

Holy shit, Polygon knows whats up for once. VII and X fag tears sustain me.

That's not a bad list actually. I'd place ARR and XI higher but the top three isn't bad.

>shilling for polygon

Shameful user. You could at least use the archive.

archive.fo/qFile

nobody gives a fuck. there is thousands of final fantasy game lists. who cares if a website has a different opinion.

>linking directly to shitty journalism

FUCK OFF

Not great but at least X is low.

>13 worse than 3 and 10 and 8
>11 worse than 10 and 9 and 4 and 5 and 8 and 12
>9 worse than 8
>4 that fucking high in general
>5 in third
>6 in fucking first

awful list
it doesn't even have all the numbered titles despite including a fucking update/reboot to 14

5 and 6 being that high I could pass off as genuine opinion, but listing 12 as the second best makes it far too obvious that this list is pure bait, and that comes from someone that loves 12.

>FF8 that high
>FF12 that high
>FF7 that low

At least FFV was #3

fuck off shill
archive.is/qFile

Oh fuck, this will be a Google laugh.

>read it

Not bad, actually. Pretty accurate. It's a Christmas miracle.

>Number 10: Final Fantasy X

I refuse to read the rest, I bet six is number one because DUDE MUH SNES CLASSIC LOL

Actual list, using the definitive version of each game (e.g. ARR for 14, PC release of 13-2 with all DLC, remaster of X, and all expansions for 11)

18) 2
17) 1
16) 3
15) 10
14) 8
13) 15
12) 10-2
11) 13
10) 13-3
9) 4
8) 13-2
7) 6
6) 5
5) 7
4) 14
3) 12
2) 9
1) 11

I also think X should be lower but this is ok for now.

6 is #1 is literally the new 7 is #1
actually it has been for 20 years.

someone got paid to make a list

This.

VII was unambiguously number one for the majority of fans until the mid 2000s when the shitty compilation being piled onto it and the GBA port of VI led to a reversal, where saying VI was the best came back into vogue towards the end of the decade.

A few years ago I noticed IX/V seemed to be on their way to dethroning VI as the assumed 'patrician' best FF game instead of VI but for whatever reason IX failed to really reach the same widespread agreement on it being the best that VII and VI did and V never caught on outside of here.

Now VII/VI/IX are the most popular choice for 'best' FF with game critics and forum posters, in that order.

SEETHING

hahaha ff14 ARR and ff15 ranking above ff11

brainlet author

So what's wrong with VI being that high? VII is really good but kinda overrated. I agree with XII being too high and X being too low though.

x is too high though.

>1 2 and 3 at the fucking bottom
>12 ahead of everything but 6
>7 not at the top with 6 and 5
Worst list I've ever seen

>nice 9 is pretty high, higher than 7
>literally immediately followed by 8, a shit game
>12 being any good at all
???

This is a great list. For once Polygon pulled through and showed good taste. Was honestly expecting some bullshit like 13 to be at the top given polygon’s track record, but I am impressed.

FF6 is so overrated it hurts but at least they put FF5 and FF8 high on the list I guess.

Seems like a competently written article to me. Are you just wanting Sup Forums to rip it apart for you?
Did you even read it?

>a Google laugh
>phoneposting

yeah, i came here for Sup Forums to be my personal army against polygon.

i hope your are all enlightened by my nefarious intelligence

For anyone not bothering giving Polygon clicks:

1) FF6
2) FF12
3) FF15
4) FF4
5) FF8
6) FF9
7) FF14: A realm reborn
8) FF7
9) FFXV
10) FF10
11) FF11
12) FF3
13) FF13
14) FF1
15) FF2
16) FF14 vanilla

>XV that high
>XII at second place

mad about XV but glad about XII

>reddit spacing
>statle memes
>shit thread

they are wrong about everything and they are wrong about this

XII is real fucking good tho

>15 twice in the list
>No 5
Polygon is really retarded

V was third though.

What the hell is this list, rofl
Did they even bother to play the games?

>>FFXII 2nd place (I love FFXII, but come the fuck on)
>>FFX 10th place (should be within top 5)
>>FFVII in 8th place (???)
>>FFXV higher than X, XI and III
>>>VI being higher than V

I just don't understand

I disagree with parts of this list but honestly I'm just glad they BTFO 9fags. Fuck FFIX, overrated piece of shit.

>FFXII in #2
I actually agree with its position. IZJS/ZA make the game kino.

I don't mind the top 4, the rest though is funny

>FFX 10th place (should be within top 5)
You need to be 18+ to post here.

>VI in first
Kek, looks like Polygon finally got something right.

FFXII is good, why are you guys saying is bad?

What in the fuck, I loved FF1 and the remakes for GBA 'n shit. How can it possibly be that low?

Why do people who have clearly never played VI rate VI so highly?

It's a bad game.

>10
>top 5

Yeah no that game is XV -tier shit.

>FF14 allowed on the list twice

Quality journalism from Polygon.

ign.com/articles/2016/05/15/ranking-the-final-fantasy-games?page=2

FFVII TEARS SUSTAINS Sup Forums

Ah yes, I forgot Sup Forums is filled with contrarians who can only shit fling. My bad.

Because it's a classic.

>FFX 10th place (should be within top 5)

Brainlets that can't get into the combat.

Hahaha Sup Forums is literally polygon.

Without looking, my prediction is that FF6 is at the top and FF7 is someone around 5th. This is the list that all numale cucks who want to prove their "gaming cred" make. Checking back after to see how right I was.

But Dirge was garbage, even for a spinoff. Almost as bad as World of Final Fantasy.

How? Great bosses, great areas, literally no grind, visually appealing.

They're completely on spot with VIII

Underrated gem of game

Hellloooo

It is good, it's just popular to shit on.

Not giving polygon clicks, but I'm guessing it's the original release and ARR? They're 100% different games. The original was such hot trash that they took it offline and built a completely new game.

It's a 404, did they take it down or something?
Where is XV on the list? I really enjoyed it.

>V isn't even on the list
what the fuck, man

V was third though.

user, i hate to break it to you, but someone who got final fantasy X on their 2nd birthday could already be 18. 18 isn't that high of an age barrier.

FF7 at 8th and FF6 at number 1. Literally every compliment they give FF6 as to why its best exists in almost every other game and usually moreso.

This same list. Every time.

ding ding ding winrar

>12 at 2

You shouldn't bother trying to reason with underage Sup Forumstards
It's just not worth it, my man

9th

Only good post ITT.
As usual that means people must post shit in response to it.

isn't it past your bed time grandpa?

7 is the Empire Strikes Back and 6 is a New Hope. Both great, but the generally agreed better one is 7. But since even non-fans think that, you get "hardcore" fans insisting the other is better just to stand apart. They could insist FF8 / Return of the Jedi is the best, but then people would know they're just being outright contrarian. No, FF6/Hope is the safe bet for when you don't want to be one of the crowd but you're too much a pussy to take a daring pick.

>Almost as bad as World of Final Fantasy.
I'm gonna kick your door down and give you a somewhat mild talking to about our difference in taste.

If XII isn't at the bottom with XIII then your list has no value.

But WoFF was good.

Nice samefag damage control.

Whoops mistyped, meant to say if VIII isn't at the bottom with XV your list has no value.

Try again, sweetie. Not everyone on Sup Forums is underage and contrarian.

I like VI because of the cast and the magicite system.

Fight me.

Because it's stained masterpiece, a byproduct of the SE merger and a symbol of Matsuno's career effectively ending.
All in all it's overall just pretty boring and unfocused. The story never really sells the characters, more than half of which suffer from just being along for the ride (literally and figuratively).
It pulls dumb shit that other JRPGs get bashed for (Balthier's heritage/importance, Gabranth/Basch twist, Vayne being a shitty antagonist, the final boss being some ambiguous god alien thing, shitty overlong introduction with a horrible protagonist) but XII is somehow immune from.
Hunts. That's all the game is good for. The Gambit system is amazing and it's a shame other developers (including Nomura/Tabata for XV, would've fit perfectly) haven't copied it. Conceptually it's fantastic, the world is great, the English dub and sound design is for the most part fantastic. It's a really well produced game with a fucked up development cycle and the first (and last) chance Square as the newly minted corporate yakuza squad Square-Enix had to sell the merger as a positive, and they completely fucked it up.

It's a big budget corporate clusterfuck with an awkward aftertaste of somebody's vision lingering in the air. That's about it.

This is a pretty damn good list. I'm glad IV and V got their due as well as XII. Those are by far the most "playable" Final Fantasy games for me.

Especially with XII. Probably the best playing Final Fantasy of the series? You can skip cutscenes from the get-go, interface is tight, options menu has a lot of graphics shit for a PS2 game...

but also that story is just so inventive and different for Final Fantasy. I love XII so much.

Go back to Polygon.

Was about to post this.

>13
>not worse than at least 3 and 8

Magicite was a garbage system.

man you sure identify by what games you like/dislike huh?
is that because you have nothing else going on in your life?

The Magicite system is literally shit. It's the only way to affect stat growth on characters which means you need to forcibly keep people under leveled until you get magic which is a sizable chunk of the game. Moreover, outside the five or six main characters, most of the rest of the cast have less backstory and plot than virtually every other Final Fantasy title. And those five or six don't exactly have a lot either. Two, maybe three quests.

It required waiting over 10 years for them to rerelease it with a fast forward and dual class system in order to make it even remotely worthwhile to play.

Actual vanilla FFXII is a fucking piece of shit. And having a game whose combat is so boring that the only fix is to have a fast-forward because it plays itself isn't a good thing.

Man you sure identify by comments made on this board huh?
Is that because you have nothing else going on in your life?

>most of the rest of the cast have less backstory and plot than virtually every other Final Fantasy title.
You're thinking of IX.

>FF7 at #8
>FF14 at #6
>FF6 at #1

Fucking BASED

what are you even talking about lmao
I'm just here while waiting on a download, I identify by my accomplishments in life.

I hope you can one day too. :)

Vaan and Penelo
Butchered story
Wasted potential

Why are all western critics such a meme loving fucks about FF?

>"FF13 is the worst fucking FF because of how linear it is"
>"FF4 is the best fucking FF possible"

>"FFV has no story, no memorable characters, in fact it has the least amount of story in the entire series"
gee, what the fuck are the NES FF games, not like it would even have "less story" than the SNES FF games, it's just disliked by western critics because "it wasn't serious enough"

It's so clear that this faggot didn't even play most of these games but just read some other "critic's" summary about them and often even missed their points