I tried to watch his "review" on Odyssey and I really couldn't...

I tried to watch his "review" on Odyssey and I really couldn't. It just felt like extensive nitpicking that was padded on for 2 hours to seem really knowledgeable about things that anyone with a basic understanding of video games could discuss. Furthermore, a lot of his complaints are 'this could've been done better because X' which then he proceeds to talk about how his idea is better therefore Nintendo is stupid to not include it. It's even worse that his ideas aren't even that great, or thought out. I think what made me close it out entirely is when he was talking about how the game was made for Children, not him, despite the fact him claiming how excited he was for it because it's Mario (which has always been marketed towards kids). Waste of time.

He's a manchild who writes bad genre fiction. What did you expect?

who

The guy just seems to be a massive contrarian, isn't most of his videos just going against popular opinion?

Have you read it?

No I'm just memeing. I don't read genre fiction.

But you play video games?

Who does reviews better than Joseph?

No mostly I just watch people play video games so I can argue about them.

Shilling 101

I hope you at least do it with some level of irony.

Everybody.
He does critiques aka. his own opinion.
I'm still baffled how people won't get that.

This guy has a kid, but sounds like he's 15. I'd prefer MS text-to-speech over his voice, honestly. No amount of 'deep reviewing' can save it when the voice is that annoying.

Yeah there's plenty of irony.

Also I just read the first page of one of his books (The Wizard and the Dragon) and I can verify that it is in fact bad genre fiction.

Why is Sup Forums worshiping this guy so much recently? I thought we were supposed to despise ecelebs.

because matosis doesn't make videos frequently

Obviously he's making a lot of non-subjective claims. He actually has a pretty strong, detailed approach, I just don't think he does enough research on why other people like the games. Obviously if you play games like he does, Odyssey is pretty shit, but instead of recognizing that people play games differently and for different reasons, he just says that Odyssey is for kids.

Because he had a negative opinion on a popular game so Sup Forums started circlejerking it
Really it’s another psuedo intellectual enlightened gamer that feels he needs to hype himself up so much he posts teasers about an upcoming video about how “popular game X isn’t good!!!!!!!!!”
It’s akin to every other eceleb reviewer garbage posted here and on YouTube.

He admitted himself that it's genre trash. It's not high art. It's consumer fiction.

he game has flaws, but most of his points are just ridiculous
>every 3D Mario game would benefit from even more movement options
What arbitrary number do you fucking need? It already takes considerable skill to use all of the options in unison with each other consistently.
>look how small these maps are, I thought this was about exploration baka
The game is NOT about expansive exploration. It’s about “inward” exploration, investigating densely constructed and highly intricate structures filled with secrets. It’s also primarily about gameplay, which it totally delivers on
>the game puts you back at the start sometimes wtf
Did he forget about the fast travel option?
>wall jumping is nerfed
It feels sad but it’s a necessary change as the series moves from the wide open platforms of SM64 to the more intricate structures of Odyssey to prevent horrendous cheesing.
>the transformations take away movement options instead of adding
THAT’S THE FUCKING POINT DUDE, HOLY SHIT. MOST OF THOSE PUZZLES REVOLVE ENTIRELY AROUND THE INTRODUCTION OF NEW VULNERABILITIES TO THINGS THAT PREVIOUSLY WERENT AN ISSUE

He’s right about stuff like the handholding and areas like hatland sucking but holy fuck is he missing the point of the game hard

Did he use those words exactly?

Anyway the prose is pretty bad. There does exist genre fiction with good prose, but the guy obviously has the skill and taste of a highschooler.

Stay mad, Nintenbabby

>psuedo intellectual enlightened gamer
Well he's better than most of them. At least he's critical rather than blindly parroting popular opinions. I'm kind of glad somebody finally filled the contrarian reviewer slot that Sup Forums usually takes up.

>Odyssey
>"intricate structures"

Please tell me more about how the completely sparse Sand, Seaside, Lake, Mushroom, Moon, etc. Kingdoms were condensed and intricate. Please tell me more about how the 500+ filler Moons in the game weren't completely boring and tedious to collect.

I don't even like Anderson that much but he nailed it in this video, you Odysseyfags are fucking delusional.

>Sup Forums on any game:
IT'S SHIT
>Sup Forums on MAORI-AH game:
IT'S PERFECT YOU'RE NITPICKING

Why 4chaners are a bunch of mindless Nin-drones?

Yeah no shit, it's clickbait

>completely sparse
Every one of those either consisted of very intricate structures spaced out amongst sparse areas that feature puzzles involving broad movements, or are completely about broad movements and drastic vertical movement. That’s a variation in gameplay style to focus more on Mario’s jumping abilities
Most of those moons are just there to serve as small scale rewards and “i’ve been here” markets throughout the exploration process

Obviously these design elements have downsides but game design is full of necessary sacrifices

Stop posting this faggot

>markets
*markers

When did I ever call the game perfect? I don't think the game is perfect and I actually would've enjoyed someone criticizing the game more constructively. Someone's opinion doesn't hamper your own experience and needing validation either through negativity or positivity is a poor way of thinking.

No one can do a video that is hours long like my boy Matthew

>500+ filler Moons
Calling something filler doesn't make it filler, retard

I agree. Matthew has criticized mario games before that doesn't feel like he's beating you over the head with superiority complex like Joesph Hamplanet.

Guys I also hate nintendo and Odyssey, if I made a three-hour video saying why would you worship me?

Literally who? (Dont answer that, they don't deserve more attention)
Why the fuck do you watch game reviews on youtube? I bet you've spent a dozen hours watching videos of dark souls on youtube too, faggot

Actually probably. You should give it a try.

>his 6 hour Dark Souls video
kino

calling something not filler doesnt either

>Sup Forums on any game:
IT'S SHIT but companydrones will defend it
>Sup Forums on MAORI-AH game:
IT'S SHIT but companydrones will defend it

Fixed that for you.

>Lake Kingdom
>Sparse
Nigga that's the tiniest fucking kingdom in the game.

why does he have some tranny faggot going around twitter for a defense squad for his shitty videos. what a little bitch.

HE
IS
OUR
GUY

Because it's not. It's one of the most critically acclaimed games ever, Joseph makes money by creating clickbait. The fact you're defending a cuck is fucking pathetic, man

>>Sup Forums just seems to be a massive contrarian, isn't most of his videos just going against popular opinion?

>defending this cuck
>using "critically acclaimed" as a way to argue against something without addressing the point
I havent even watched the video and I still firmly believe there are way too many moons that are literally exactly the same and only function as a waste of time. They arent entertaining or fun, they are a chore, busy work at best and even if you were 5 years old it wouldnt be fun.

fuck off

the odyssey review confirmed he doesn't know shit

It's all organised on his discord. Hamsterson has bar none the most dicksucking fanbase in existence.

Good for you, you're entitled to your opinion, stop acting like it's fact.

I don't know anything about this guy, so I don't dislike him or anything, but I hate this forced contrarian youtuber thing. In order to get attention, youtubers intentionally make a very controvertible video. I doubt this guy is actually passionate about Mario Odyssey's flaws. He just sees a way to get attention to his channel by throwing out a video he knows is gonna make people mad and start console wars. I don't blame him, it's a necessary part of his job, but I wish it didn't happen for every single major release.

What a defeatist way to speak to someone. Why engage if you aren't going to defend your point. Speaking up only to say "youre an autist if you have an opinion" is fucking pointless. Why even reply to me in the first place? So you could call some guy on youtube a cuck and feel good about yourself? Keep acting like you dont care when you clearly do. Still literally no rebuttal to anything ive said.

>Mr Anderson

He knows places like Sup Forums, even if they despise and delete youtube eceleb stuff, will worship him and devour his weenie if he says anything not positive about Nintendo.

People cooled down on this game really fast.

Probably one of the hardest turns in public opinion I’ve seen since Bioshock Infinite. Masterpiece to low tier 3d Mario in the span of a few weeks.

It was a good video and I'm not really sure what issues people could have with it. Which why I imagine a lot of posters are attacking the person ( ) or are making vague buzzword-tier statements "it's nitpicking"

Does anyone have any actual issues with what was said and why?

why do we like him?

>He purposely only compared the game to previous mario games, showing what old games did better and such
>People are still trying to make it out to be an anti-nintendo thing

Here's a rebuttal, why does everyone on Sup Forums do a complete 180 regarding ecelebs when they're not nice to Nintendo? 95% of the time eceleb threads are pruned and people scream bloody murder about them but the second this guy doesn't like Odyssey everyone kowtowing to him and making nonstop HAHA BTFO NINBABBIES threads.

He's annoyingly autistic

>> a lot of his complaints are 'this could've been done better because X' which then he proceeds to talk about how his idea is better therefore Nintendo is stupid to not include it.

Thats why he does critiques instead of reviews, its not about just saying "this thing is shit", its about saying "this thing is shit because of this and this is how it could have been less shit".

Opinions about something being bad without presenting an alternative are worthless.

Instead of 'make your bed', Anderson would say 'play DSII'.

Proof? Because Sup Forums is not representative of the entire world, or even an entire fandom.

Like Sup Forums then

yeah on his stream he said he made those books quickly to make money and his game shouldn't buy it

What he's saying is not wrong but the issue is why would you make a multi hour critique out of this? Ultimately, Odyssey chose to focus on the sandbox elements present to a lesser extent in 64 and Sunshine. There are positives that come with that and there are negatives. The thing is, these positives and negatives are extremely obvious to anyone. You don't need a critique to know that a linear game will have more consistency than a more open game. What is the point of his video except to start console wars?

>Which why I imagine a lot of posters are attacking the person
>Links to like, the one guy in the thread who explicitly isn't shitting on Anderson

I dunno man, but Sup Forums is hundreds of thousands of people all with differing opinions, and most of them don't even watch the e-celebs they talk about. Console wars are stupid. Drama and gossip is stupid. I don't care about any of that shit. My only point here is that I think mario odyssey was underwhelming as fuck and whenever you mention anything vaguely critical about it everyone assumes you have some kind of fucking agenda. I just want to genuinely speak about something.

His alternatives are even more shit. What does he even mean by "the game should use the controls more"? How much more can you chain Cappy techniques and Cap-ture enemies in this game?

>Claims that he's just being a contrarian and isn't being genuine
>Not shitting on him

Right.

his fans* shouldn't buy it

If there was only a 2 hour video that studies every single moon and explains why most of them are challenges made for children... such a detailed research would certainly qualify as fact and not just an opinion...

>asking does someone play video games
>on Sup Forums

the answer is no, none of us play video games
we're just here to bitch about them

> why would you make a multi hour critique out of this?

Because he wanted to air his views and a lot of people enjoy it? Even outside of Anderson there's a huge scene of critique on youtube, it's far from a nich thing.
I really don't understand why people ask such an autistic question. Why would anyone make anything?

> What is the point of his video except to start console wars?

Yeah obviously he stuck to only comparing the game to other mario games cause he wanted to start console wars.

>proof

There was a white paper published by the CDC a few days ago.

Why is it underwhelming? What did it need so badly? Returning you to the start after every moon like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy? More linear stuff? Smaller levels? Waluigi?

>> What does he even mean by "the game should use the controls more"?

He explains what that means in the video, he even shows footage of that to support his statement

>if only some autistic fuck spent two hours whining about why a Mario game of all things isn't incredibly deep and intricate like my Final Fantasies and Halos and GTAs

Link?

What is it, then? Does he want FLUDD back?

WHO OP WHO

I just felt that the foundation they laid was really great but it never did much interesting with it. The possession mechanics are something that dont feel fleshed out at all and function more as a mildly entertaining gimmick. The game never gives you anything satisfying to do with the tools given to you. Much of the game is just busy work or chorelike tasks that dont ever ask much of you. Barring the moons that require you to use the jump, it never feels like anything remotely challenging. I don't need mario to be dark souls but there is rarely anything engaging.

Not an argument.

YOU GOT A MOON FOR HOVERING OVER THIS SPOILER GOOD JOB!

The game wasn't designed to be challenging. Nintendo called it a sandbox game themselves for a reason. The point of this game is to explore a quirky Mario world. I'm sure they will make a linear 3D Mario in another 4-5 years but doing something different for once isn't a bad thing. It's not like you don't already have buckets of linear 3D Mario games. In the last decade they've made 4 different linear 3D Mario games.

I mean, I remember him shilling them on his youtube.

Anyway it doesn't change the fact that the guy can't write. Believe it or not, it IS possible to write good genre fiction. Joe obviously just has no skill.

Then why'd they say it was made in the Mario 64/Mario Sunshine line?

>doing something different for once isn't a bad thing

Yes it is, BotW proved that. When you don't use the Ocarina of Time format you make extremely shitty Zelda games.

But nothing about the game makes you want to explore it. I dont mind them trying something different. They succeeded with that in botw. But mario feels like botw if you took out everything besides the korok seeds. Its shallow and boring. That is my subjective experience

>The game wasn't designed to be challenging.

That is basically his complaint. The movement system is incredible, and the devs wasted the potential on filler/tutorial-tier moons. There are very few moments were a new idea is introduced and expanded on. The player just has to notice a moon and get to it with no difficulty progression.

>Then why'd they say it was made in the Mario 64/Mario Sunshine line?
They did? Go back and play Mario 64 again. The game is extremely easy. I don't believe Mario 64 has a single actually difficult level. Most you can run through in 30 seconds.

Yeah it's getting a free update soon because people don't like it

>that Chris Pratt analogy
Why didn't he use any hot female celebrity as an example instead?
Does he want to fuck Chris Pratt? Is Mr. Anderson a gay?

Kids love the game.

It's literally his job to make YouTube critiques.

I fall asleep watching his shit vid

>They did?
not him but yeah they did

Most people managed to collect hundreds of moons in that time and realize there isn't actually a challenging game no matter how far you play.

Yes and I said that myself, that I don't blame him for doing this. It's what he has to do to get money, I'm not gonna fault him for that. It's one of those things where I don't blame anyone for it, but it's still annoying. Like it's cold as fuck right now but is it anyone's fault? No, but I can still be mad about it. These videos just make legitimate discussion about games on Sup Forums even harder than usual, because it gets into console war shitflinging.

I feel like his review is more reducto adbsurdum. He counts moons just "sitting there" or NPCs as worthless moons, totally disregarding where those moons are NPC's are, usually at the end of long platforming sections. He seems to forget that the journey is the fun, not the destination itself. Which is a staple to the the previous mario games he praises so much.

On youtube?
MandaloreGaming, he is one of the few people who actually could explain the E.Y.E story in a few sentences
Shammy is also great, but his reviews are more on the comedy side. He also only does bad/mediocore games

>Goes out of his way to not mention non-nintendo properties while he could have easily shown Hat in Time did shit better
>HES MAKING CONSOLE WARS HURR

That was a typo on my part. I meant to say "it is"
Nostalgia clouds peoples view in 64. Go back and play it as an adult, you will breeze through that game. A normal adult can probably finish Mario 64 in one session, it's that easy.