Does anyone use this thing?

Does anyone use this thing?

Tried it on gta 5 multiplayer driving isn't that bad, but shooting is terrible.

my cousin has one. might get one at one point

i really couldnt get any use out of it sadly

I do when I play 2d games, too much of a pain to use it in 3d games though. A trackpad does not make a good replacement for an analog stick.

I have a wooden plank I keep my keyboard on so I don't need a desk to use my PC. When I 'm too lazy to pick it up off the floor I use my steam controller to click on a new video. Also it works one handed, You can tell what I mean by that.

working the right touchpad-joystick thing fucking sucks when you also got to work the buttons.

Much better to go with the cheap logitech gamepads imo.

I have one, but it mostly collects dust. I've tried using it for many different games but it just doesn't work as well as a conventional controller. I'd even recommend one of those $20 logitech controllers over it.

turn on haptic feedback and rub the head against the trackpad

Yes, it's pretty useful.
You're obviously not supposed to play your console input -with-janky-pc-port-controls games with it of you already have regular controller - but then again youre a super retard if you play shooters and pointing heavy / PC controls only games on the couch emulating kb+m with that regular controller, whereas it's comfy and precise with the SC. Also great high poll rate wireless connection and it lasts forever on two AAs

Going from the right buttons back to the right touchpad sucks.

It is completely terrible for shooters. I would legitimately rather use an analog stick than the trackpad for a shooter.

You have to get used to using it. I can do pretty decent with shooters after a few hours
Not as good as with a keyboard and mouse but still decent

Yup, Gyro aiming is the future user. It's not as good as KBM of course, but at least I don't feel like a cripple when playing games on the couch.

Bullshit, pads + gyro are OBJECTIVELY more accurate than a normal stick.

Stick is a shitload more intuitive

It actually makes fps games playable on a controller, but it is still inferior to a keyboard/mouse. It's great for games like Tomb Raider or Grand Theft Auto V which have shooting but play better on a controller. However, there are few games where it's really necessary. Also, it's extremely buggy.

>I'm a dum dum who uses inferior input because I can't learn something new

Yeah, playing Super Mario Galaxy on it now. The gyro's pretty useful.

Yeah I was just saying stick is more intuitive not that it's better

>It's extremely buggy
Honestly, that's more a fault with Big Picture Mode more than anything. The overlay is a big part of the experience, but some games and applications (Kodi, and anything made by Blizzard in particular) just makes it spaz out constantly.

>Been using my SC for several years now
>Still on the set of Duracell batteries it came with
I'd love to know what sort of black magic Valve did to get the controller this power efficient.

Using the left pad as a touch dpad is fantastic, it doesn't hurt your thumb with hard plastic and with the rumble turned on still feels real nice to use

It's even got a LED

I thought about purchasing one during the christmas sale so I could play Total War and Point and Clicks in the living room. Are the mouse controls actually decent, or did I dodge a bullet?

>Want to turn left
>Turn controller left

gyro is just a mouse that uses rotational input. It is better than analog for the same reason that a mouse is better. It lets you use motions that will give you consistent results on screen, which allows for more initiative aiming. It has a few extra flaws that make it worse than a mouse, but it is still far beyond analog. When referring to he steam controller specifically, there are some games that will not let you use mouse input when using a controller. In that case you are just emulating an analog stick, so it does feel awkward and pointless.

Anyone who owns the SC and isn't 12 years old knows about trackball trackpad + gyro on pad hold. Cmon

Mouse controls are perfect user, turns out concave touchpads are super comfy. Should have got one while you had the chance.

You dodged a bullet.

The only disappointment is it's not RGB. It would be quite useful for the input sets or whatever they're called.

My ex-roommate had one, and he lent it to me. Most uncomfortable controller I've ever used.

>on pad hold
Should have done it as a toggle instead using action layers user. Holding down on those grips for more than a second just feels gross.

It's fucking garbage.

Either use a fucking controller or use M+KB.

Don't use the stupid trackpad abomination. Imagine using a laptop touchpad and that is what you are getting.

works really well for mouse based stuff, I have momentum on so I can throw the curser
shooters is pretty shit though, they really should have included a dpad instead of the left trackpad, literally nothing works well on that side.

i use it to play h-games

It's fantastic, shit's over a more traditional gamepad for 90% of things.

Only downside is D-pad focused games which it struggles with.

Left trackpad works nicely set up for things like touch menus and radial menus so you can bind command groups and things to it.

>using a controller on PC for a shooter
>ever

I think he means on touch, like when your thumb is on the pad. That's the way to do it, allows natural recentering and no fiddle.

So you didn't use it

I bought one when you assholes shill'd me into it and tried for a fucking month to make it useful.

Even just playing XCOM 2 it wouldn't fucking work properly and grenade usage half of the time would randomly result in it changing position when I clicked to throw resulting in me blowing my fucking squad up.

That is one way to do it. After a while though (and after playing a decent amount of Splatoon 2), you just get used to the gyro being there all the time. I just use the toggle so I can use menus and stuff. There's also the added bonus of being able to aim and use face buttons at the same time.

I prefer it over standard gamepad on 2d platformers honestly, just disable requires click, put on a deadzone to your liking and set haptics to medium or higher.
Playing too long with a tradition dpad makes my thumb hurt, and just having to touch the pad to sent inputs should technically be faster too.
Did you actually try to set it up?

>He picked the most complex preset from the community hub and complains it's too difficult to figure out
You have nobody to blame for this but yourself.

this, everything i used it with just felt like either M+KB or an xbone pad could do the job better
it also made my thumbs ache after about 20 minutes

So I tend to have a toggle and then have it on while touching as well in games where I might wanna use the buttons in addition, but generally the paddles + clicks provide the functions I would want without needing to anyway.

Steam Controller is literally the dark souls of controllers
It even is the best way to play souls due to the grip buttons allowing you to always be able to move the camera without resorting to awkward ways of holding the controller

more like the DS2 of controllers

Use practically all the time now. Got over the annoyance of having to set it up for most shit, but it does everything I need it to and it works just fine like a Kb+M.

Gyro is good; You can use it like a steering wheel or a flight stick.

I use it to pause YouTube videos from my couch.

They need to revamp the software and make adding config files manually more convenient.
People should be able to vote on community made configs with the most popular ones replacing "official" configs dev might set for games without native support. Most of those official configs just use the controller in the most basic way, not taking advantage of the hardware.

Yes, but there are certainly days I wish it had dual joysticks. I value the plug and play functionality for couch coop/competitive PC games more than I do the shitty haptic pad.

If I wanted to play Civilization 6, I would do it with a keyboard anyway. No amount of haptic pad research is going to make me consider "hey how about I use a controller for this"

I would have preferred a normal gamepad.

The best thing to come out of this is that Steam eventually supported DualShock4 controllers through the same Steam Controller interface, which is actually quite good at adding all sorts of macros and ancillary functions on the gyro, touchpad and combinations of multiple buttons.

>Tfw Valve support the DS4 features better than Sony ever will

Yep. I do.

The trackpad is a great analog stick replacement. Of course I wouldn't play rhythm games or fighting games with it, but Dark Souls, MMOs, Games not designed for controllers, and FPS Games are quite nice on it.

I fucking love mine, use it for anything I can.

I've accidentally ruined myself for playing games on their intended controllers more than once. I can't play Kingdom Hearts without the backpaddles to navigate the command menu without taking my hands off of things anymore and any 3D platformer where I can't move the camera and press the jump button at the same time feel archaic. And it's the only way to play GTA style games because you have good driving and shooting all in one package.

I've played all but like 3 PC games with my Steam controller since I got it this time last year.

No, I hate it.

Yes, it's awesome. Specially for M/K games.

I hate M/K, so this controller is a bless.