I would like to preface by saying that I have never been very good at these kinds of games...

I would like to preface by saying that I have never been very good at these kinds of games, but I'd heard it was the kind of game you can lose yourself in, which is why I bought it. My question is, how do I make money in this game? I've googled around and all I can seem to find are guides that only veterans of this game would understand. The game told me to grow some parsnips, and I did. Now the game is telling me to build a coop, which I can't do because I don't have 4,000 gold. What do I do with my parsnips after I grow them? I can't cook them, because the cooking upgrade to my house costs 10,000g and I don't have any more seeds. I have around 4-5 parsnips and I don't think those are going to net me 4,000g, let alone 10,000.

Yes I know I'm being autistic and hand holdy, but I don't care right now. I just need a bit of a push in the right direction.

You sell the produce and then buy more seeds, is that hard to understand?

you sell the turnips and buy more seeds, overexploitation.

Early game is grindy.
Grow as many parsnips as you can and put them in the container next to your house to "sell" them. Spend the rest of the day fishing or clearing out your farm's area.
Repeat until you have enough money to do the next thing on the list.

how the fuck can you be good or bad at this game you literally plant things then sell them

oh and you could always go to the mines and gather minerals and monster parts and sell them, some time in the middle of spring berry season starts and you can forage for cash/gifts

I never played the game and this was forst thing that came to my mind.
For fuck's sake OP get your shit together.

It can be pretty difficult, I can't get my crops to grow no matter what I try (pic related) any help would be appreciated

You're telling me 4 parsnips is enough to get me a few more parsnips which is enough to get me a few more parsnips? Where does the profit come in? I don't even know where to go to sell this shit, the game throws you in the deep end from the start.

I've gone fishing around 15 times so far (game didn't tell me how to fish so I had to spend 10 minutes figuring that out) and I've gotten maybe two fish and made 30g doing that. Is there a fishing spot with more lucrative fish or am I stuck making 30g for every 15 or so fishing attempts?

How do I make any money if I have to constantly spend my profits on seeds to grow more produce to make money to buy more seeds?

git gud at time management, get a horse and stable asap to save time walking everywhere, don't be afraid to check the wiki

>pic related
That's been posted a thousand times and is all over the internet.

>I don't even know where to go to sell this shit, the game throws you in the deep end from the start
You literally get told where to sell your items right at the start, do you have ADD?

Why do you only have 4 parsnips?

I've looked for help everywhere

I think you need to re play the tutorial friend. The game literally tells you where to sell them.

>the game throws you in the deep end from the start.
there is a fucking collection box outside your house which you put the stuff to sell in
the guy literally tells you that when you start the game
if you sell things you get more money than you spent on them, yes

You want to use all of your money to buy seeds. Plant your seeds and grow your crops. Make sure you watch the date, because most crops will die at the end of the season. Later on you can make more money out of crops by processing them into artisan goods.
The profit comes in from the stuff you do in the meantime, and when you decide you don't want to expand your farm anymore, which will happen pretty fast. For fishing, don't fish on the farm, go to the river in town or the ocean.

Why are you so stupid?

Regarding fishing: generally cast your line out as far as you can. As the other user said, don't fish on your farm. The rock that sticks out in the ocean is a good place to cast out your bait. There are other places that have a higher chance of giving you good fish, check the wiki.

Why are you pretending to be a retard?

This is what I'm talking about, I looked up helpful guides and they were all:
>get X, Y and Z and do this with them

They didn't explain HOW to get X, Y and Z.

I must have missed something because I don't recall that part at all.

I have no idea, should I have had more? I swear to fuck if I have to restart the game again I'm going to be so angry.

What fucking tutorial? There was a little intro scene saying I'm sick of my 9-5 job and my dying grandpa gave me the deed to a farm, some characters yammered on about how cool my farm is and then the game started, there was no tutorial.

Seeds are expensive as fuck, I have like 330g right now.

How do I put bait on my fishing rod? Again this didn't come up at all, Willy gave me his old fishing rod and walked off and that was the end of that.

>that cat on the roof
I'm still pissed they gave us a no-good dog that only blocks the door or any passages. Like what is the use of this shit? all it does is make noises.

>How do I make any money if I have to constantly spend my profits on seeds to grow more produce to make money to buy more seeds?
How do you think businesses work? Like, you have no expenses and never grow? It's called an investment.
You sell the parsnips to get more seeds, then you sell those to get higher quality or more expensive products, and so on. You keep increasing like that. Every bit of profit goes towards reinvesting in your farm to make it more productive or spent on misc items to help you in other areas of the game. Eventually you can have a huge farm that's watered automatically by sprinklers so the workload you do is lower.

Of course you don't have to do that at all, you can also just sell enough to get by and do other things like dungeon crawl. I'm at the point where I have so much money I never need to farm again so I don't bother, and just go dungeon crawling.

What the fuck, there are dungeons in this game?

Just for an idea OP, what kind of games do you usually play?

How early are you in the game?

>can't afford a coop
buy MORE parsnips then
the more you grow, the more money you make, its simple. for earlygame money, pick up shells on the beach, they go for as much as 300each and you can get like 5+ if rng is nice to you. fishing is good for earlygame as the mine doesn't open right away

Wish this game had some couch coop so me and the wife could live the farm life together.

You don't need bait. I meant to say "cast out your line".
For bait: kill the bugs in the mines. They drop bugmeat. You can craft bait with bugmeat. IIRC you pick up the bait and right-click the fishing rod to load it with bait.

>I have no idea, should I have had more?
When you start the game you get a bag of 15 parsnip seeds, you plant those, water them every day, sell the 15 parsnips you just grew and buy new seeds with the profit

this is a troll thread btw, everyone stop replying
the game teaches you how to do these things, and even if you skip it you can figure it out yourself with a little trial and error

You realize he's leading you on, right?

Not him, but I've been picking up clams, shells, etc from the beach since day one. I probably have a hundred or more right now, but I'm still not selling them because I heard you need 100 items of a type of seashell for a quest or something? I'm also hoarding other items that might not actually be useful. Tbh I'm just thinking of selling non-community center items as I might just be actually wasting spaces in the trunk, but I don't know

I think maybe 5 days have gone by since I started?

Oh, okay. If I'm being honest though I don't even know how to craft something beyond fences, chests and stuff like that.

I definitely didn't end up with 15 parsnips then so something weird must have happened, I don't know what.

>all these people calling me a troll

I prefaced the thread by saying I'm not very good at games like this and that I'm aware of how autistic I seem to be, I'm just trying to enjoy this game so I can lose myself in it like other people seem to have.

You could just search the wiki for each item and see where it's used though.

>I don't even know how to craft something beyond fences, chests and stuff like that.
You don't have to know anything. If you have the bugmeat in your dude's inventory the bait option lights up in the crafting menu and allows you to craft it.
Same goes for other crafts.

never heard of that. interesting. I beat the game, granted I didn't explore every dialogue option though, I plan to re-play the game and marry each possible person
I've never seen the junimo ending

>I think maybe 5 days have gone by since I started?
You're really early then, don't worry about it you'll get the hang of it.
Don't concern yourself so much with optimal plans and guides and things like that, these games aren't meant to be stressful, they're supposed to be relaxing, comfy life sims. There's no time limit so just chill out and take it at your own pace.

If you really want help then just take pic related for an example of how a typical farm in this game winds up. In the top I just fenced off an area, placed sprinklers around (you can craft these later), and plant whatever I feel like in the middle. The bottom pic is just passive income stuff like wine or forging that requires minimal input.

Does one need a new game for whenever this update comes out?

OP made me want to make a collectivization/hardcore commune system in SDV

Almost certainly since its adding new areas and game functionality. But don't worry it's not coming out this month.

I appreciate you not calling me names, but that was a rather vague post. I get stressed out when I don't understand games like this and it's the furthest thing from relaxing. The only thing I can do so far is chop wood and cut grass.

>stop playing
>months after get back into the game
>whole farm is littered again with rocks, weeds and sticks
Why doesn't the game do this?

because time isn't passing in game, you nincompoop

It would be pretty neat though.

ConcernedApe said the game is only active when the player is active. He also didn't want to punish players for taking a break from the came.

Or maybe he couldn't program it

FUCKIGN MULTIPLAYER WHEN GOD DAMN IT CONCERNEDAPE DO NOT LEAVE ME HANGING ANYMORE

I hate to break it to you but there's not much to understand. There's no real "right" way to play it.
I guess the closest thing to it is optimizing your time to upgrade your tools and farm as fast as possible.

Here's what I would do:
First day, clear some space on your farm, plant and water all your seeds. Use extra energy to chop trees and break rocks, and store all the materials in one of your bins.
When your energy is almost out, go into town and introduce yourself to everyone. Some of them may have requests that they will pay you for, and it's nice to build your relationships with them. Try to give them gifts later on and talk to them whenever you feel like it. (Generally just follow the journal)
When you see what looks like little worms wriggling in the ground, hit it with the hoe to dig something up. These might me artifacts that you can drop off in the museum, or they might be seeds that you can plant, or whatever.
Explore your farm - find the cave and grandpa's statue, you don't have to do anything yet.
If you want, go to the beach to get seashells and things to sell for a bit of extra money.
Use all your money to buy more/better seeds, clear more land, plant more seeds. Repeat ad infinitum.
As the game goes on you'll use the money to upgrade your farm (coop, barn) and your tools. You'll also get to dungeon crawl and can pick up materials there.

I read the book about him:Blood sweat and pixels. He's a lazy pot smoking that could've fiished the game in 3 years instead of 5

Thank you user, this is a rather comprehensive list. I guess my problem is that I get easily overwhelmed in games that have a dozen different ways to play. I'm sorry.

b-but the weed is illegal, have I supported criminal activity by buying this game?

Does Kent come in the pusy?

Once you're able to, make a mayonnaise machine. Chicken eggs don't sell for too much on their own and barely cover the cost of the food the chickens eat, but mayonnaise sells for hella good.

If you're really stuck or stressed just follow the journal. The real "goal" of the game is to revive the community center, so look at that as a guide if you're not sure what to do. Farming and all that is just a fun way to earn some cash, and it's fun to build a little farm like pic related

Pretty good farm but your crops will grow better if you add more fences to protect as shown in the diagram.

Are you actually legally autistic? Not really bullying, but you've got that way about you

What happens if you sell out to Joja instead of doing the community thing?

Vermont just legalized it like yesterday you fucking scrub. It's legal in almost half the US now.

i dunno, never done it

Oh, so this is the type of person who can't get past the Cuphead tutorial.

You make more money selling the product than you paid to produce it. That's where your money is coming from. You probably have ADHD and voted for Bernie anyways.

the community house gets replaced by a joja warehouse that has goals based on making a lot of money instead of all the varied stuff of the community house

>What happens if you sell out to Joja instead of doing the community thing?
Pretty much the same thing, except instead of collecting various bundles, you just have to pay money to get the upgrades. Not sure about the actual prices, but I think it's like "Pay 60k to get the bridge to the quarry fixed" and "Pay 100K to get the carts running".

CAPITALISM, HO!

Who's best girl and why is it Jas

That's a good idea, it should help me focus. I just got a bunch of gold so I'm gonna get seeds and set up a better farm area!

I have no idea, I've never been diagnosed or anything.

literally the moral of the story in the game

For people who have issues with some of the mechanics (like the fishing, and I know a lot of people who actually hate the fishing so much they just FLAT OUT REFUSE to touch it), it's an alternative way to unlock all the content. I do kinda like this design, to be honest.

Fuck me, Stardew Valley is a suprisingly cool game, but it also makes me think of how much more could have been done with the formula.

>poster doesn't try to fit in by being edgy and contrarian
>ask if he's autistic

In reality the community center generates nothing beyond feels whereas if the town invests in a corporation like Joja that would bring jobs and economic development to the region.

>pour my life savings into starcoins
>it's a "currency" literally just made up by some dude and worth nothing
>crashes

Actually, number of the advantages that the community center offers benefit the whole community as well.
Also, the town does not seem to be in a particularly bad economic shape. In fact the only threat there is the presence of Jojo itself. Self-sufficiency and functional community is actually - even economically - far more important than a direct increase in wealth, which itself might be pretty damn questionable with the a corporation like Jojo is portrayed to be.

why do you need so much wood and grass?

You don't, it just looks nice

By offering goods cheaper than Pierre (utilizing vertical integration and economy of scale), the people of SV can keep more of their money after essentials to buy other things.

A warehouse that services the local and satellite Joja Marts would generate hundreds of hours in jerbs, bringing more people to SV and growing the town. These are undeniable benefits to a capitalist-driven enterprise. Joja Mart has flexibility in logistics that people like Pierre will never have.

This one is a little easier to get into than others since the day length isn't insanely short.

It's basically just something you pet every day to increase your final score for the farm evaluation.

hmm....

Guys, I married Maru. Did I fuck up?

since when was caroline this hot

any good mods for this?

You could always just buy a saddle and ride her around the living room.

S L U T

No, now you breed her strong body and make godlike children to till the fields

That isn't my game but there are plenty of portrait mods
Furfag, anime, the older versions, even lewd ones

Yeah, the whole town can now save 15 bucks a month to buy considerably lower quality goods in considerably lower quality environment. Oh, and Pierre is out of a job, so that is actually a net loss for the whole community financially, as the savings for the rest of the community won't measure up at the loss profit for Pierre.
Furthermore, Pierre is an active buyer and financer for the community as well, and buying stuff at other members of the community (including player) for better prices than Jojo mart. Suddenly, people who make living selling their work to Pierre, including player, either don't have anyone to sell too (and thus go out of their own jobs, and become poorer), or have to sell to Jojo, and thus compete with mass production markets, which push the price down, thus making you lose profit.
Furthermore, the hideous building and increased traffic noise and generally poorer living conditions will drive the price of estate down (further making people lose money) and the all important sense of community and pleasant environment are lost, which actually are more valuable than most goods that you can purchase.

So no. It's not a good choice. If you are not a ten years old child, you should already realize: having access to cheaper goods does not mean increase of wealth.

why didn't anyone tell me brb downloading right now

A woman has needs

>cuck fetishists
>plays autism farm simulator

fits like a glove

I'd say Better Ranching is an essential if you want to actually raise animals.
Automate can make your life a LOT easier, but it is slightly cheating.

Other than that, I'd say you don't really need anything else.
Also what is up with the fucking potrait mods. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them looks far worse than the original. ESPECIALLY the fucking anime ones. Who the fucking fuck thinks that looks better than the vanilla portraits?!

There are various portrait mods to make people in the game look more attractive since the vanilla portraits are shit. They're also extremely easy to install vs any other mod type. There's even a mod to make Pam good looking.

Sometimes it goes too far though

Get a portrait mod for her. Concernedape fucked the pooch hard and gave her the worst portrait ever. He had some other ones in the works that were much better and scrapped them.

>no one calling out the obvious loss joke
C'mon people.

is there any mod out that allows you to fuck every woman in the game? I wanna bang the married ones!

Slam piggy

There are marriage mods for almost every villager. Including the mayor and no I'm not kidding.

best girl

Medically legal in fewer than half. It's fully legal in only four states including Vermont.