Tell me how is this good game design?

Tell me how is this good game design?

>Hangin' around the Depths in DS1
>Doing my first run totally blind
>One of this cheeky cunts with face balls curses me
>Already having a bit of a hard time with the game
>HP is now half for no fucking reason
>No clue in the entire game where to go, spend 3 hours talking to NPCs and roaming around trying to figure out how to take the curse away
>Say fuck it, look around the internet
>Stupid shop sells the cure

Tell me how as a new player am I supposed to find out how to secure myself? Is there something I missed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>One of this cheeky cunts with face balls curses me

Yeah you fucked up you shouldn't have let him do that.

Dark Souls doesn't have good game design. The narrative is pretty much absent. You are just made to wander aimlessly until you find an area with enemies.

Yeah thats pretty lame
I liked ds2 and 3 turning you to stone more

NPCs literally tell you where to go if you're such a brainlet that you can't figure out how to progress.

>Fuck up in a game where you get punished heavily for fucking up
>surprised when you're punished heavily

???

Sounds like you need baby games cause normal games are a little hard for you

>stand in gas
>be surprised when bad things happen

>fight gargoyles boss fight
>merchant right there that sells an item that says it cures curse

If you didn't talk to the obvious merchant or forgot about the curse curing item it's your own fault for being retarded

GIT

it's been seven years
how does this shit still get replies

The NPC that is directly in front of you when you arrive tells you about the Bells and where they are.

Be a man and beat the game with the curse.

wouldn't anything longer than like 5 inches be too big for her tiny bunny pussy? She's only like 2 feet tall

>FROM
>Good anything
lol
Really though did 1 curse you or did you get gangbanged by basilisks? Because there's bad game design and there's shitting the bed.

>I'm bad at the game so it's bad game design
Sad

>tiny pair of eyes under googly eyes
wat the hek

Oi, hold on…Don't tell me, have you been cursed?
Oh woe is the Undead who's cursed on top of it all Harsh times; harsh times indeed!
Hah hah hah hah!
No, no, I'm sorry. Here, let me share a nice tip.
Long ago, I was told of a remedician who resides in New Londo.
Does he really exist? Well, go and find out for yourself.
But don't blame me if he's just an apparition!
Hah hah hah hah!

>What is eyespot mimicry

>normal and fair video game
>bad thing happens
>move on and learn from mistake
>shit souls
>bad thing happens
>permanently get punished and have to find some obsure and cryptic solution to your one mistake

Who are you quoting?

>yfw

The shop is one of the first places I would look

>weird enemy you’ve never seen before runs at you and starts spraying a weird white fog
>when you stand in the fog a meter starts to fill that you’ve never seen before
>continue to stand in it anyway

Just read up where to go on the internet. Autists have already mapped everything out so that you don't get bored wandering aimlessly.

fpbp

>game forces you to use guide
simply bad game design

Shouldn't have gotten Cursed
Should talk to NPCs and see if they sell the cure anyway
I hate to be that guy but the old-fashioned SNES-style shit is why Dark Souls fans like the series

How was I supposed to know to jump in the painting?

thats why you should always check what merchants sell

you were supposed to jump in the painting???

Even Dark Souls told you that you had to do that
Truly SM64 is the Demon's Souls of Dark Souls

>fuck up and manage to get cursed
>it actually has a consequence instead of slapping you on the wrist
>it has a mini-quest and a side effect to more easily traverse an area with enemies you’re otherwise unable to attack
>ITS NOT FAIR

you remind me of faggots that cried about vampirism in morrowind

when you got close to the painting it would jiggle like water. it was kind of obvious. plus im sure the manual said something about it.

How was I supposed to know to return to the Undead Asylum by jumping up to the Crow's nest and curling up in a ball?

holy shit i'm booting up sm64 right now

>after Firelink Shrine elevator is unlocked
You again?
There's nothing to speak about, really.
Oh, actually… Something strange did happen.
That crow flew off with somebody in its clutches. I think it was a man curled up in a ball.
Stranger things have happened, right?
No, maybe not…

I've never been cursed but I can imagine how pissed I'd be if I were to be cursed because I got got in gas for too long. From devs knew curse was a retarded and broken mechanic which is why it isn't in any of the other souls games.

Ye I remember that shit now. I went there and got royally fucked by the ghosts. I used something to scare them away but in the end I gave up looking for the supposed doctor and just went online. Gay game truly

>mfw From nerfed the curse due to complaints
Literally how bad do you have to be to get cursed more than once anyway

the nest is the only thing up there and a prompt appears when you stand on it

moreover, the entire area is supposed to be a secret and painting world is a secret of a secret, both of which are optional

How was I supposed to know his dialogue would update as I traversed the world?

You again?
There's nothing to speak about, really.
Oh, actually… Something strange did happen.
That crow flew off with somebody in its clutches. I think it was a man curled up in a ball.
Stranger things have happened, right?
No, maybe not…

Because it happens with pretty much every other NPC in the entire game

Sure, but it doesn't matter since all the info is available on the internet.

how was i supposed to know it happens with pretty much every other NPC in the entire game?

it’s not in any other title because From has been following a trend of casualizing souls because it makes them more money, hence why every souls after dark souls 1 does as much as humanly possible to discourage invasions

Talk to NPCs
Next you're gonna tell me that you didn't know you could talk to NPCs

>using guides
stay pleb

because that happens in pretty much every RPG ever made.

Because people still keep defending it.

ah sorry, dark souls was my first rpg, i got it recommended since so many people love it! how was i supposed to know though?

How was I supposed to know Dark Souls was an RPG?

youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA

It looks like an action-adventure

You fuckers are complaing about getting cursed, how about getting egged and only receiving 50% souls for half of the game while also not being able to wear a helmet? Serves me right for kicking those guys

There are npcs in this game? I just killed everything

probably the rpg stats

I am not a fat neckbeard loser, so I would rather not spend hours mastering a dumb video game

Dark Souls was never good. It's a series intended for edgy teenagers who want to feel superior to others by playing a mildly difficult game that is for some reason meme'd and shamelessly advertised to be the most hardcore game in existance.

dude I love doing that in Skyrim lol

>if it has stats it's an rpg
ah i see now that makes sense!

>stood in grey gas
>the curse bar appears and fills, denoted with a skull: the universal symbol for something bad happening
don't get cursed

opie is a fag

CoD multiplayer has stats too

>if it has rpg stats it is an rpg

yes, that is how this works

>Doesn't speak with the closest thing he has to a friend after the pyromancer dude
You are a shit person, as well as shit at video games.

I'm being baited, but for the sake of consistency I'll go on
If you see a character in any videogame at all, not even including RPGs, you can interact with them
People desperately try to find faults with Dark Souls but they can't; the game is that airtight and explains everything to you

>you have to memorise contents of every single shop in order to be a cool hardcore souls player like me

How? Half the fucking npcs are impossible to kill

Praise the Sun! D-do I fit in with the hardcore gaymer crowd yet guys?

>you can you level a set of character attributes in cod

tell me more

>you will never get egged and have worms grow inside you
fbm

Is that Sean?

I''ll give you DS 2 discouraging invasions like fuck, but in 3 you get a red eye orb pretty much for free, can use it with any covenant, and if you run into 4 man groups of faggots dying is a slap on the fucking wrist.

Or are you the kind of guy that could literally only win by ganking new players in the burg?

>If you see a character in any videogame at all, not even including RPGs, you can interact with them
doesn't explain how you'd know their dialog updates though

>being this shitty

fucking millennials need their hand held for everything. truly the most pathetic generation on earth

And exp

someone should have told fromsoftware to explain the mechanics of the game then

Dark Souls 1 was clearly designed to be about adventuring around this fucked up world. For that reason, this kind of mechanic makes sense from a design perspective. It's the autistic community that formed this impression of dark souls being around le epic difficulty. The game isn't even that hard if you're not braindead.

>and if you run into 4 man groups of faggots dying is a slap on the fucking wrist.

the great thing about Dark Souls 1 is you can actually win 3v1s with ease if you’re good

Like, Cresfallen tells you about the burg and blightown, tells you going anywhere that isn't the burg is hard, tells you that the crow takes people back to the asylum sometimes, etc.
Dude literally spoonfeeds you the first half of the game, you just need to exaust all his dialogue lines.
Lautrec and tha cleric close to the elevator also tell you a bunch of important things

>playing rpg
>get poisoned
>literally just die from constant health loss for no reason

HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT AN ITEMS CURE A STATUS?
SHIT GAME!

dude i feel your pain, don't play dark souls it's even worse

it's almost as if they do...

I can usually handle 2 or 3 by myself pretty easy, but stun locking on my no poise fashion is pretty brutal.

He's the hero we need, but not the one we deserve.

yeah but you get a sick ass worm bro
wish the worm was better to actually justify the insane soul sucking

Talking to any npc in DaS results in two+ different dialogues every time you speak to them, even on your first meeting. If you don't experiment, don't be surprised when there are things you have overlooked.

>don't explain rolling speed and i-frames
>don't explain kindling
>don't explain parrying

Sometimes I forget that there are huge fucking faggots on this board, until I see posts like OP's and I am reminded once again.

Messages in the ground explain most of that.
Also, Crestfallen can show those mechanics in practice if you attack him.

In the games defense I'm pretty braindead. Still, baiting me to get fucked in anor Londo by le spooky ghosts wasn't really fun

what kind of retarded insufferable faggot has to be explained every single mechanic in a video game?

Rolling and i-frames are entirely a matter of mastery.
Kindling, yeah.
He does teach you about parrying if you think you're good enough to fight him.

You don't have much control over them, but certain perks can raise your health, damage etc

they explain kindling in the instruction booklet

that’s not rpg stats

no rpg stats is the reason skyrim isn’t an rpg

Personally the one aspect of Dark Souls "cripticness" or whatever you want to call it I don't like is the fact it never explains that rolls have invincibility frames. That is an extremely core part of the game and not something you would assume if you had not played one of these games before or heard about it on the internet.

>i-i d-do. i do need my hand held user