Why is it underrated? It should be number one FF game on everyone's list

Why is it underrated? It should be number one FF game on everyone's list.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fj-brCekxSE
youtube.com/watch?v=OIh6sXRM_yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8
youtube.com/watch?v=1xRCjjiTR7I
youtube.com/watch?v=xlwSPMwAqbM
youtube.com/watch?v=lyyqKg3wDbg
youtube.com/watch?v=x7ZNRyrD34A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, why do you think it is underrated? I personally did not play it.

It ain't VI.

>any FF
>underrated
Quite the opposite.

i loved it when i played it more than 10 years ago but it certainly isn't the best FF.

Hasnt ages exceptionally well model wise, so I feel as though a lot of depth and emotion the game has is gone because of that

As recently as 5 years ago, japan thought this was the best final fantasy game and one of the best games ever made.

The problem with this games reception, especially in the west, boils down to

>The game having lots of great themes and ideas that aren't handled very well
>Being the final fantasy that most strongly depends on the player being culturally japanese to "get" what its doing
>The english voice acting being objectively badly done, the actors are largely really great but the direction was godawful

>It should be number one FF game on everyone's list.
youtube.com/watch?v=fj-brCekxSE

You know this scene was literally, LITERALLY bad on purpose right?

I don't think it's underrated at all. I know a ton of people who loved FFX.

youtube.com/watch?v=OIh6sXRM_yQ

>literally
>LITERALLY

>too linear
>protagonist too asiatic
>music is OK but not epic
>blitzball minigame too boring, like playing turnbased handball

it's right up there with 8 and 9 on my list. three way tie for me

I fucking love James Arnold Taylor

2nd best FF

Yeah? Wakka thought it was dumb and Yuna told him to stop.

It's not underrated, it's just not vey good

I feel like playing through this game again. What's the easiest way I can play it with nip audio/english subs? Does the PS4 version have dual audio?

The Tidus HAHAHA meme bullshit has given it too much of a bad rep for no reason other than shitposting.

The voice acting is absolutely fine, considering it was the first voiced FF game. Characters like Auron and even a lot of the narrations by Tidus are top notch. It has less cringe moments than any modern JRPG that Sup Forums praises. It just fell victim to shitposting memes when shitposting memes started to become the cool thing to do, because the internet is 24/7 kids trying to one up each other and see who is more ironic and funny.

The turn battle system is simple, but you do have to use strategy with turn manipulation and what you want to do. At extremely high levels it becomes redundant since the strategy will be the same for your maxed out characters.

The world is vast, which is why they made a second game based on it. The lore and general feel of the world sets the tone for what you're dealing with.

And Tidus himself goes from being a little spoiled sports prodigy kid to becoming an actual hero. In the end he resigns to his fate, all just to save the world.

Whether or not X-2 ruined anything is another topic entirely.

>Protagonist in a game based heavily on a region of japan in terms of look and culture made in japan for japanese people looks asian in the CGI cutscenes
>This is bad

???

There are people who don't like this games OST. How do they live?

If nothing else it should be held up there with NieR for the god-tier OST.

To Zanarkand - youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8
Someday the Dream Will End - youtube.com/watch?v=1xRCjjiTR7I
Besaid Island - youtube.com/watch?v=1xRCjjiTR7I
Suteki da Ne - youtube.com/watch?v=xlwSPMwAqbM
Auron's Theme - youtube.com/watch?v=lyyqKg3wDbg
People of the Far North - youtube.com/watch?v=x7ZNRyrD34A

>And Tidus himself goes from being a little spoiled sports prodigy kid to becoming an actual hero

I never got why people never understood this and just bitched about him being whiny. That was the entire point of his character development, he goes from being a self centered brat with daddy issues to a competent, generous, and powerful man by the end of the game. I thought they did a great job with the coming of age aspects of his character.

>The voice acting is absolutely fine, considering it was the first voiced FF game.
Nah, fuck off. Parts of the direction in this game are legitimately worse than resident evil 1. Like all the times tidus suddenlytalkslikethis because they were too fucking lazy to alter the timing of the mouth flaps or the cutscenes for the english version, or the fact that they use the exact same take of yuna saying "ok" in a super awkward way whenever jp yuna would say "hai" over and over.

Compare this game's english track with MGS2, which came out the same year (or shit, MGS1, which came out over 4 years before and completely destroys this game) and it's a disaster, the kind of bad thinking that lead to squaresoft becoming square enix

Some voices are really good though. Wakka, Kimahri, Auron, and Jecht have really good voices for their parts. The rest aren't terrible either but are a bit spotty

the voices are good, as shown by these people doing other roles, but the direction is miserable

X is a shitfest.

it's almost like the people who said that never played long enough to see his character develop

>the voices are good
the actors they picked really were good. except Yuna's, she was garbage.

I literally cringed when I heard Seymour for the first time, but other than that I think they did a decent work with the VA.

Game is nice, a solid 8/10

yeah, for Japan this is their number 1 final fantasy for this exact reason; but here the relationship between the protagonist and Yuna game don't shine

Either that or they watched the Spoony videos on FFX and didn't actually play the game.

i liked rin and maechen too

>>Being the final fantasy that most strongly depends on the player being culturally japanese to "get" what its doing
What's an example of this?

I remember putting on a track from the ost on a car trip my family had a while back. Within seconds they said wanted to listen to anything other than video game music.

I'd say it's one of the most popular FF games, not really underrated

Seymour is supposed to be a giant faggot though

Don't put Challenge on first then

Why do you force video game music on people that haven't played the game?

It was the fucking Besaid theme, I don't even know how you immediately recognize that as video game music

That literally happens one time in the game and I challenge you to actually find another part where it happens again, let alone enough times to become a horrible issue that ruins the entire 40+ hour game. The Yuna thing sounds like you're grasping for straws as well because you just think she sounds similar when saying the same word in the same kind of situation.

Well, if it wasn't the remastered version, then it's clearly digital music.

Well for me the "developed" post-Home Tidus ceases to be a character and is just and only about saving Yuna. It's all he talks and acts toward. Therefore he no longer has any scenes where he's an active participant doing new things and that means his previous whiny characterization doesn't get any counterweight leaving him when all is done, whiny.

Now, I fucking hate Tidus, but him becoming noble later is a slight misconception, since there is a collapsing hut in Kilika Tidus can save a person from showing that his altruism was there all along. He also goes to save Yuna thinking he's an old man before in Besaid.

>It should be number one FF game on everyone's list.
It would be if only had world map

Reminds me I used to be bullied in high school because one girl found out I had several video game tracks in my MP3

>It should be number one FF game
it's overrated, not underrated

Video game music is autistic and try hard

Weird. My brother loves that track. He refers to it as "doing stuff music". Like the ultimate background music.

I laughed at this.

Not as good as 9 or 6, but it's up there

I'm interested in playing some Final Fantasy, though I'm not sure which game to start with. I've watched a friend play 7 (or whichever had Cloud and Sephiroth) and 12 (with Vaan I think?) but nothing more, unless you count playing Kingdom Hearts.

Anyways, got a gba emulator, a 3ds, ps2, and ps3. Which FF do you guys reccomend?

>Hasnt ages exceptionally well model wise
You must be thinking of the remaster. The original game aged very well.

because even though FFX music is nice it still sounds like fucking general MIDI . it's specifically written to be unobtrusive too, they probably want something entertaining

Here's why I found FFX so compelling...

The world you explore is very self-contained, but mythologically rich. You never find out that Sin is being secretly controlled by aliens, or that gods are manipulating mankind...or any of the other shit that can mire down and derail the stories of the other games.

Instead, there's this very neat, rich 'death-spiral' concept to the world of Spira. The journey and conclusion are worked perfectly into that main theme.

For a Final Fantasy game, it really feels weirdly grounded at times, and even the most fantastical elements (summons, Dream Zanarkand) are well integrated into the narrative.

Plus, let's be honest, the world-design is comfy as fuck, the soundtrack is a classic, and the character development is pretty superb. The central pairing of Tidus and Yuna is worth not getting much in the way of Kimhari, Rikku, etc.

It's a world you want to return to, despite the fact any subsequent additions to the canon could never have hoped to match that first, great original instalment.

PS1 games, then ps2 games, then Snes games. Everything else is arbitrary

I think in terms of FF it is under rated. 6-10 are the golden years of FF.

FFX or FF6 on your 3DS.

there was some cringy shit in this game, but it's also my favourite FF

Different priorities in what people enjoy about JRPGs.
If pure turn-based battle systems, skill progression, plot twists, world aesthetic and OSTs were your priority, FFX is godly.

If you’re in it for the open world, job systems, airships, voice acting, or character animation, it’s pretty bad.

This is nice.

>As recently as 5 years ago, japan thought this was the best final fantasy game and one of the best games ever made.
Source?

Source on image? I got a chub going just looking at it.

i agree

>tfw beat him for the first time the other day without Jew Jimbo
Grinding Luck is OP.

>Meg Ryan

i chuckled

I loved Blitzball as a kid even though I found it weird to be playing a turn based sport.

I think the best part about it was the ability to talk to NPCs and recruit them. I wish there was another sports RPG without the turn based gameplay where I could do this.

Yuna a whore. A WHORE.

>right-click image
>search Google for image
There's your answer.

Don't have a source, sorry. I saved it in my folder with a bunch of other pictures that gave me a sense of scale and nostalgia. Sensation is called "Sehnsucht" if you want to look for similar things.

If you like the aesthetic, I recommend "Made in Abyss". City has a similar vertical aesthetic.

Tidus starts off complaining about everything and the game is linear.
People want their edgy early game Cloud, and the illusion of an open world to explore when in reality they're still just going from one location to the next in just as much of a linear fashion.

I still can't get past the first 20 minutes of X-2

it's so fucking awful

*smack EEUURRRRR*

this was the exact game where one of my nerd uncles was just as excited as I was when it came out. He had lent me his copies of FF7 and FF8 and sparked the whole interest.
>we were both immediately appalled by the kiddy story telling kin to Kingdom Hearts
>the elemental weaknesses and boss battles were easy as FUCK
>his 4 year old son ended up enjoying it way better than we did. Right along with his shadow the hedgehog game where he gets a gun and sometimes says swear words

If FFX was my first FF and I loved it, what other FFs should I play?

I tried XII but didn't really like the combat changes and it felt too grindy and boring. I plan to give it another go when the remaster is out

no other FF will give me the feels FFX does. still to this day...

everything was just right for the atmosphere.the locations, the music the visuals.

Honestly X kind of stands on it's own in my opinion. Less linear, but if you liked the diverse cast and customizing your own part, FFVI is fantastic and holds up today.

Why are you lying user?
Kingdom hearts came out after FFX

WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU

Maybe VII and IX?
X wasn't my first but its my favorite, with those two being right behind it, so maybe you'll like them just as much?

It's linear until a certain point. Because they did a narration driven story, which was blod and new. It paid off IMO.

The story line is 10x better on my recent playthrough as I understood the plot better now I'm older. Tidus, Jecht and Sin are a really interesting concept. I like it.
Definitely one of the top 5 FF games.
FFX-2 can suck a dick though. The only good thing from that game is the Dress Sphere system.

It doesn't get much better.

Because people claim it to be linear when linearity isn't always a bad thing and this game proves that.

Also Tidus laughing memes.

It had the perfect turn based combat, but I didn't care much for the characters. Great setting and plot though. I'd like it over FF12 if FF12 didn't have some fucking excellent characters.

>the blitzers starts playing
>i get chills

every time

Post yfw this plays unbroken even through combat as you advance into Zanarkand - youtube.com/watch?v=1xRCjjiTR7I

I'm not shitting on the linearity by any means, just saying that its probably a reason as to why X is underrated.
I prefer the linearity of X to the world maps you'd get in other FFs, just fucking give me an interesting winding hallway to run down instead of making me traverse an empty overworld map with nothing of interest besides towns and dungeons.

god damn it still hurts

I was thinking about following a guide just so I can see the story and what happens to Tidus but I just can't take it for my own sanity

>Yuna starts sporadically dancing and poses after scaring away some bimbo by shooting guns at her
>

The OFFICIAL Sup Forums Final Fantasy Tier List

>God Tier:

>Good Tier:

>Allright Tier:

>Mediocre tier:

>Bad Tier:
10-2

>Shit Tier:
13-2

>10 in bad tier
>10 in same tier as 10-2

>perfectly linear
>no overworld map to make up for above
>asian themes and gook faces no one cares about
>written by a notorious hack, entire plot runs around a literal deus ex machina
>some great tracks hidden in, but unremarkable arrangement done by a Square bench player
>serviceable battle system, but 99% of bosses spam the same 3-4 moves in sequence while immune to almost all special moves, forcing the player to find the one move that works instead of strategizing.

awful taste

I stopped paying attention to FF soon after, did they keep the absolute top quality music in later releases?

i forgot:
>worst ending (scene) in the whole series by far

whelp, thats another 20 hours of my life ill spend re re re running this game. the ost is god tier! always makes me want to replay it when i hear it.

Just where it belongs

Either low quality bait or your taste is shit, user.

>7
>God tier
Opinion discarded

I'm sure the person that'd actually be wearing that would be a fat Sup Forumsirgin neckbeard