How do we fix video game analysis?

How do we fix video game analysis?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamasutra.com/features/postmortem/
youtube.com/watch?v=HE2XZK3xiac
youtube.com/watch?v=hLpSSXIendY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I miss classic Yahtzee, when he would shit all over popular games just to be contrarian. Now he pretends to be "objective" and it's boring.

Literally who are all of those people

How do we fix redditors coming here and making threads about e-celeb cancer instead of video games?

hbomberguy
joseph anderson
matthewmatosis
mark brown game maker's toolkit

thanks

By being able to form and stand by your own personal opinion.

>mark brown
That's instig8tive

>forces his voice lower

its too hard dude i need someone to do the thinking for me so i can share their interesting/novel/well thought out opinions as if they're my own

>getting your opinions from SJWs

sjws are generally more intelligent though

this. fuck off with your literally who e-celeb garbage

Stop playing violent video games.

>that dragon fucker not ultimate brainlet tier
Guy has no idea how to edit or be concise. If you're going to waste my time with a video review that's over 45 minutes in length, you had better have an angelic voice that can make me cum from nothing but aural stimulation, or you had better be funny and entertaining while you do it. This asshole is neither and his videos are two hours.

>Guy has no idea how to edit or be concise.

this applies to most game analyst people

Read instead of watch

Who would you recommend?

No one is as bad as him though. Matthewmatosis and SuperBunnyHop are both wet blankets, but they're able to pretty consistently get their points across in 20-30 minutes.

I preffer Matt over Mark Brown but the latter is way more digestable.

>Instig8iveJournalism
why did this guy delete all of his videos?

idk, but take this

In the past few years blogging has pretty much died off. However, post mortems on Gamasutra are still valuable to read since they're straight from the mouths of the devs and gives you a good idea of their decision making process and what went wrong/what went right.

gamasutra.com/features/postmortem/

I really like Keith Burgun's writings but his opinions on games are very radical. Even if you don't agree with what he says they are thought provoking, or maybe just provoking thoughts of "this guy is wrong as shit"

Fixing it would require removing all bias and expectation.
Only a particularly special autist could produce an analysis with those qualities.

>using the word SJW unironically in 2018

Found the SJW

hbomberguy has had his moments, but overall fuck him. Mark Brown's politics sucks, but he doesn't let it overlap into his videos and analyses so gets a pass on that

Probably embarrassed from acting like such a retard

Why was he embarrassed? a lot of arguments he made towards cinematic games were true and relevant to this day.

>from acting like such a retard

when did this happen?

He went full redpill on twitter.

any screencaps?

what sort of shit was he saying?

How did he become such a nerd in the dark souls 3 guide?

What happened to Instig8?

Every time I see Vaati I think of this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=HE2XZK3xiac

>White Adonis with blue eyes.
>Scammed the shit out of youtube and patreon by using Sup Forums tier fanfics and speculah.

I'm kinda jelly desu.

i know btongue and razorfist but whos the second and fourth guy

Cleanprincegaming
and The Examined Life of Gaming
get schooled son

youtube.com/watch?v=hLpSSXIendY

Ban anyone from the UK from game analysis.

now that i think about it a lot of the really bad ones are from the uk

>hbomberguy
>mark brown
>the gaming brit
>total biscuit
>writing on games
>jim sterling

why is such a small country overrepresented in the category of shit tier game analysis?

>Writing on Games
>Bad
Absolute pleb

We don't need to fix something that is ultimately pointless

i've only watched his dark souls videos but i'm confortable saying he's the worst of all the channels i've listed

>get schooled
>from someone who is told by other beta males what to play

hearty kek

Explain

Whats the point of these guys? Can't you think for yourself? Why not play games instead of listening to somebody making baseless assumptions in order to get some easy youtube money?

What's the point of you? Can't you think in your head? Why not just think in your inner head instead of typing a baseless assumption in order to feel superior on an imageboard?

Sup Forums desperately wants to be marketed to despite what they claim, they just want an edgy persona to do it because they feel alienated from mainstream society

Because my range of influence is finite. I listen to reviewers with like-minded tastes so I can play new games I might've missed out on. How fucking autistic do you need to be to not understand this.

it's been a while since i've watched but

>dark souls cured my depression

literally a blogpost, no real discussion of the game other than superficially obvious qualities like it's challenging but satisfying. extremely anecdoral and not terribly interesting.

>why blighttown is important

he played through dark souls and couldn't find his way through blighttown and made a video about this as if its a universal phenomenon. i love blighttown and i know it like the back of my hand, so the idea that it's a good level because its confusing and disoreintating didn't hold much merrit, and even if it was true it doesn't really strike me as a subject worth making a video about because it's just a surface level observation stretched out for 10 minutes. also calling things "important" is just fuckin gay

>dark souls 2

this video was just bad, lots of misinformation about both games (such as his argument that dark souls 2 was harder because you get fewer souls and it costs more to level up, even though you get more souls and it costs less to level up) and misrepresentations of dark souls 2's enemies work used to build up to twee non-statements like "dark souls 2 is like a horror movie that relies on jump scares whereas dark souls was more like a brooding atmospheric horror movie". this video was self indulgent abnd full of errors

i find his videos have a lot of the flaws of a lot of other channels (i.e. he makes bloated 20 minute videos with 5 minutes of actual content in them) but with nothing really going for them. he's narcissistic in that a lot of his videos are actually really about him; he's using the video games as an excuse to talk about himself. a lot of channels kind of do this but he stuck out to me as the most brazen example of this

also this might be because i live in glasgow but hearning an edinburgh accent describing video games with words like "macabre" and "Grand Guignol" makes me feel violent

aka 'please advertise to me'

It's sad when the majority of Sup Forums has to look at Steam stats, twitch or Sup Forums before they know if they're allowed to like a game or not. It's never, ever been as easy as it is today to find and try new games risk free without the influence of people telling you to.

Honestly, as a lefty guy, I fucking love hbomberguy. Granted I watch him less for his vidya analysis and more for his making fun of Sup Forumstards.

Not only do I not give a shit about all of that, but I don't need anyone's permission to enjoy games, is that really why you believe people watch reviews? Holy shit, get off your high horse, please.

You're blowing shit out of proportion. People watch reviewers because it's intrinsically interesting to hear what others have to say about something you personally enjoy, then maybe, if your tastes align, you can venture into games that might've initially not caught your attention but you put enough trust into the taste of the reviewer to give them a shot. I don't see how this is in any way bad or wrong, especially considering how pirating takes absolutely no effort.

>steals shit from Sup Forums
>gets popular from it

It's a tough pill to swallow, I know. Don't insult yourself by trying to spin it as something it's not- you and I both know you have more than enough time on your hands to not require advertisers to spoonfeed you a curated list of shit games. There's a world out there, discover it.

Because Americans have a cultural quirk left over from colonial days where they associate a standard english accent with intelligence. Anything they say sounds smart to an American so they can pump out a pseudointellectual rant and it will get a million views from Americans going "wow this guy is so smart and insightful and I'm smart for watching him" whereas anyone from another country where that doesn't apply(it seems to work on Canadians but to a lesser extent) will think "what is this pompous fuck blathering on about?"

have any of these game analysis people done a video on kotor 2?

i fucking hate video games

Having your own opinions

But I'm already doing that. Also no, I don't have the time. Hell I haven't been able to watch E3 from start to finish for 4 years now.

Your understanding of this topic is flawed and narrow yet you try to pass it off as law (why is this so common in everyone and in every aspect of modern life? I blame social media). Get off your high horse.

Lots of people here hate video games,

good post

You're on Sup Forums defending advertisers, stop lying to yourself.

Visit culture.vg and read whatever the crazy bastard has available for free, the guy really is an expert on vidya.

Considering how utterly terrified actual advertisers are of independent YT channels having more clicks than stablished brands like IGN, I very much doubt so.

Shit gets stolen from Sup Forums all the time. All those meme loving fucks wouldnt have a following if they werent stealing. I recently heard a youtuber use "soy" as an insult

You guys dont hate video games. You hate the people/fanbases associated with them

>watching anyone but matthewmatosis

have you heard of google?

Yahtzee lost his edge and started pandering to the wrong crowd. For a few months every video had to include a jab at Brexit or Trump.

The people who say this follow the Sup Forums hive mind. Blows my fucking mind at how stupid you are.

did you come up with that yourself

If you've watched even ten minutes of his Let's Drown Out series you'd know Yahtzee's firmly against both crowds.

>is now eternally associated with a really shitty meme character
A fate worse than death

ah, those were the good days, when Sup Forums's sense of humor went beyond BING BING XD and there was some sort of discussion going on in between the ironic shitposting

icyclam is a fucking clown.

>sucking dick
>not gay
Pick one

isnt this copypasta from the escapist forums

Doesn't change the fact that he slides to the left for Zero Punctuation.

>icyclam

lol

The screencaps of him pestering kojak to change a character design to suit his tastes were hilarious

SHOU HEI

HEYYYYYYYYYY

Your mistake was giving a shit what Sup Forums thought both then and now. Stop running everything through Sup Forums before deciding how you feel about it and stop using it as a gauge of quality just because you don't have a circle of real friends to share your interests with.

Why do some anons think that you are required to ignore and shut out all other viewpoints if you want to form or hold your own opinion? It's just being closed-minded. I can enjoy a video criticizing a game I like even if I don't agree with it because hearing other view points is interesting.

Last time I heard a political joke in ZP he followed it by also joking about the opposite side to make fun of faggots who can't stand having their side made fun of unless the other's also made fun of.

You, basically.

I'm just making an observation. Chill out. It's not exactly a secret that ZP has gotten more politically-charged over the years.

lmao "ride me so fucking badly" that guy's delusion is unreal. I would actually pay real US American dollars just to see how he feels about his "girlfriend" post surgery months after the fact. I wonder if he knows he'll be fucking a gaping disgusting wound "pussy" that feels like shit and is incredibly painful sex for the tranny fag. The only thing that will be ridden is an ambulance to the hospital to stitch that wound back up.

this has to be fake

>The only thing that will be ridden is an ambulance to the hospital
top fucking kek my nigger

Not sure going the extra mile to label crowds is just making an observation.
He actually articulates his stance somewhat. Gabe's the one that fits this nicely, "just let everyone do whatever man who cares"

>e-celeb faggotry

this is who you idolize

Youtube opinions are bad because of the youtube format. These guys are in the content business not the interesting opinion business. Thus, many videos have one observation that would take maybe 90 seconds to 3 minutes to talk about but they stretch it out for 20 minutes. The time invested to information received ratio is fucking terrible. I'd have to watch several hours of e-celeb trash to learn as much as I would from a single dev blog post or even ONE email from a dev.

devs do respond to emails. I've only had luck with a few indie devs and board game guys but they will happily tell you their reasoning for whatever or their thoughts on a game or a genre.

Allow me to borrow a quote from (You)
>Last time I heard a political joke in ZP he followed it by also joking about the opposite side to make fun of faggots who can't stand having their side made fun of unless the other's also made fun of.
That's the only time in recent memory that he's "mocked" the other side, and even you recognize that this was still a jab at right-wingers. This supports my point.