Xenoblade 2 was developed by just 40 people

siliconera.com/2018/02/02/monolith-soft-boss-talks-katsura-hashino-xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

>over 60% of monolith was working on breath of the wild
>40 people were left on xenoblade 2, with most programmers being busy with other stuff so UI development was problematic
>they still made an excellent game

There you have it folks, Monolith making the best zelda game since OOT and made the highest selling xeno game in 2 decades at the same time, they literally saved nintendo.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EgS-8Ml-2Dc
nintendowire.com/news/2017/12/31/xenoblade-chronicles-2-director-talks-development-story-upcoming-plans-4gamer-interview/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It shows. Functions like a PS2 game, and the story is as awful.

Just cuz it has waifus doesnt fix the other list of problems

Did you even read the article? It had a staff of 150+, it's just that they outsourced the majority.

The situation is worse than we thought, where it was estimated 1/2 of the staff working on X were involved, it was even lower.

>40 people
Looks a lot more than 40

youtu.be/EgS-8Ml-2Dc

I told you guys the credits list was way smaller than X, but none of you believed me
sooooooo...
I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO

retards

It kinda shows since no one thought that the field skills were a bad idea.

>This series incorporates elements specific to cartoons such as mecha and beautiful girls as well as open world map structure and seamless real time battle has been used and overseas "JRPG evolved" It is also said.
>Japan is fully aware that western games have zero pretty girls

It's bigger, there's just less MS staff involved. Did you even read the article?

I enjoyed it way more than BoTW.

I was talking specifically in regards to Monolith staff. It's only bigger because they had so many outsourced artists doing Blades

Is that why is looks like a neptunia game, except since its nintendo it's okay to do that?

You only need 1 writer, 1 artist and 1 music artist anyway. The remaining 37 are just programmers and graphic/modellers which is overkill.

It shows.

>I told you guys the credits list was way smaller than X
That's not true. We've known there were less MS staff involved since like December 2nd.
>It's only bigger because they had so many outsourced artists doing Blades
And programmers. And asset creation. And general other pieces of grunt work, look at the credits.

So...what are the 50 staff who just wrapped up in Zelda doing now? Surely the 40 jobbers are sticking to the DLC.

I love when people bring up Neptunia in Xenoblade threads without actually having played it. Not only does Xeno 2 have infinitely better art direction, the gameplay is actually good unlike Nep.

>everyone saying it does look like shit so there's no surprise 40 people worked on it
>article says they had over 150
That's even worse, lmao

I would have legit enjoyed it more if the script wasn't butchered.

True. Neptunia is also 544p on vita in handheld mode, and its 360p in switch handheld mode.

Hey look, someone who's never played a PS2 game.

>It shows.

my thoughts as well. and although I can forgive a lot of things, the horrid character design just ruins the game altogether.

>the reduced team had an especially frustrating time with the UI and menus
>almost every character model was outsourced
Both of these explain a lot, both negatively and positively.

That explains all the guest artists for the blades.

I love pretty girls!

>almost every character model was outsourced
>Both of these explain a lot, both negatively and positively.
I've wondered what was up with this because it's obvious the people animating weren't the ones making the models given the amount of clipping

Explains why a lot of the fluff is bad. I'm sure the world wide release didn't help anything either.

Then learn moonspeak in time for XB3

Your taste in Precure seasons is shit though.

The Nep games, especially on Vita, have some of the blandest world design I have ever seen. Just look at this shit.

Yeah because EAD desperately needed Monolith's 50 character designers after seeing the great job they did on XCX.

Nepgear on switch when?

>butchered

yeah, It shows

No wonder XC2 was a 100 fold downgrade from XCX. I almost felt pity for XC2, oh wait....no XC2 is still trash

But that wasn´t so bad.

Actually most of the MS staff on BotW were the world desgin, effects, animation, and graphic design guys.

I'm working on it, my man.

You read that right. Butchered.

This year will get some info. Probably Rebirth 1,2,3 games first that only come on vita (steam doesn't count)

That explains the lack of quality with models and UI deisgn.

Next thing you're gonna tell me that Monolith doesn't actually have 50 character designers on staff.

Now hurry up and put all 100% of your man power for a more deserving sequel to a game worth developing for: XCX2.

Explains a lot.
The game is awesome but there's some dumb mistakes that could have been solved with more time/more staff to think about it, especially the user interface.

Literal magicians. But what were team Kyoto doing at the time? Those 40 employees were probably pushed to the absolute limit. I'm really hoping those 3 UI people didn't leave the company or something.

Ill take a Re birth remake.

Just because I posted a screenshot from it doesn't mean I thought it was great

Pretty Cure actually died after SS

(Heartcatch and Gopri were also 9/10s but lack the unique-ness of what started the franchise)

I don't know 2bh, just noticed from researching in the summer from the credits to X and BotW. Pls no bully.

Hopefully the success of XB2 lets them have enough resources for the next game. I'm just glad they're committing to updating 2 with stuff, because as much as I love the game, they cut a lot of corners. Like this is the first time I've ever seen a Nintendo game crash in normal operation, and it happened multiple times. I don't know how they shipped this past Super Mario Club, or if someone else did QA. At least it feels like all of the main content was shipped with the game, which is a miracle for Monolithsoft games

>wanting a remake of a remake of a kusoge

>Make the best designed open world in X
>Split their staff so all the best staff go to help make the best Zelda in 15 years+
>They leave a ragtag group of interns $2 million and tell them to make a game
>It turns out not half bad
Genuinely surprised

>looks like a neptunia game
???
Xenoblade 2 just looks like an anime game. Did Dark Cloud 2 look like a Neptunia game for using this exact artstyle in 2002?

Exactly. Good world design always wins out, and Nep has atrocious design. Not to mention reusing the same dungeons multiple times in the same game with very little change. The PS4 ones are marginally better, but still bland as shit.

It says right in the article.
They outsourced the majority of the time consuming work.

I want monolith to give us a monhun game with mechs with this art style.
Or a fossil fighters remake.
The vita version could need some HD textures.0

It's Monolith Soft. The lot of them are wizards

it's because they listed every faggot that did a single drawing for the rare blades

So...more than 40 people made the game?

>looks a lot more than 40

Shows the fucking orchestra used to make the music, not the dev team.

I just want a game with giant robots, lads.

new xenoblade with their full work force when?

probably working on the next monolith game and expansion pass shit

Mithra's hair.

>At least it feels like all of the main content was shipped with the game, which is a miracle for Monolithsoft games
Takahashi already said that the DLC story episode was planned to be included with the story but they didn't finish it before the deadline.

There's more programmers than on X and more asset creation guys as well.

>Takahashi working on a grand sci-fi RPG with a small inexperienced team under tight time constraints when his resources are being diverted to an industry flagship title that ends up being one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time
Now where have I heard this story before?
It shows how much better Takahashi's gotten though. The ending of XB2 is spectacular, and certainly isn't Rex sitting on a chair for hours with floating text.

monolith are unironically some of the most talented developers in the industry today.
The fact that Xenoblade 1 could run on the Wii and be as large as it was while still being long is a miracle in of itself, not to mention fitting it onto a fucking 3DS and not having to remove anything.

Yup, and it really shows. The game was shit.

I rather not hear nia go
>MEOWMEOWMROWMEOWROW

I wouldnt really go as far as calling otakus making weebshit people

sauce

And? It still has a huge team including the outsourced staff. X and XBC had about the same number of musicians, yet the team for 2 is still 20% or so larger.

I have 240 hours and it never crashed on me, are you sure it's not because you simply never turned off the console EVER and just put it in sleep mode? that tends to fuck with games a lot

>Widespread reports of crashing
>Works for me bro!
Shouldn't you be in a Mustard thread

>Have only 40 members on team
>Still manage to be faster than modern mainline Final Fantasy while also being better games.

>fuck Xenoblade over just for muh Zelda open-world experience
>Nintendo fanboys actually brag about this
Your only JRPG got fucked over big time because Nintendo thought Zelda was more important. That's fucking tragic. How the fuck can't a company like Nintendo not just hire more people to make their games? I swear Nintendo's first-party must be staffed by a 100 people max.

Then don't

>Xenoblade 1 had all of Monolith's employees working on it
>Xenoblade X was (Takahashi admitted this), them just fucking around and testing the waters for future HD game development and they didn't give a rats ass about the story and was still a god-tier game to explore
>Xenoblade 2 was literally just a quarter of Monolith's team and turns out to be the best JRPG in over 5 years
monolith soft are wizards.

Pic related's concept art for their new game, IMAGINE how god-tier it would be if they got the entire team together.

nintendowire.com/news/2017/12/31/xenoblade-chronicles-2-director-talks-development-story-upcoming-plans-4gamer-interview/

>Have only 40 members on team...and outsource everything
Pretty doable desu. Apparenly TriAce were involved.

It crashed frequently in v1 and v1.1. It'd happen on quick travel and when popping cores, and loads of people were experiencing this. V1.2 fixed it.

maybe people would turn it off more if turning it off wasn't such a fucking chore.

>try to help
>get shat on

never change Sup Forums, also eat shit

How are you having trouble understanding this? All those outsourced guys doing a week of modeling work making one rare Blade are all included as a full name in the credits.

they made the script better.

>The Expansion Pass’s story DLC already has its scenario done, but it will take a while to finish, hence the long time until release. That said players don’t need to finish the game to see the story (though it is recommended).

Okay? Where's it say that it was supposed to be included in the main story? It just says the scenario writing for the DLC is lengthy but completed.

Every other console including Wii and Wii U can be turned off without having to actually get up and go to the console itself. Fuck off.
It's inexcusable that Nintendo STILL hasn't addressed this in an update after a year

They're probably working on XCX2 now, along with planning XC3. Monolith Soft also has that fantasy series they're working on, but that might be more of the Baten Kaitos side of the office.

>Pic related's concept art for their new game, IMAGINE how god-tier it would be if they got the entire team together
Ehhhh their concept art usually doesn't mean shit. This was what they used to advertise for staff around the time X was revealed for "an ambitious new project". Doesn't look shit like X.

Why she and her sister are so perfect?.

>All those outsourced guys doing a week of modeling work making one rare Blade are all included as a full name in the credits.
Source?

>tfw takahashi said he doesn't even like JRPGs anymore and only continues making them because he just likes writing stories now
>says that if the market allowed it, he'd make a story heavy FPS or TPS

They claimed that art was for a 3DS project, though.

The first Xenoblade didn't even have a character designer.

>le epic middle aged birt woman playing a teenage girl
Ebin :D

>They
I think they never confirmed it, but it was the theory. There's other art I've seen but can't find it on google. It looked nothing like X or XB2 anyway

Japanese Mass Effect when?

>tfw takahashi said he doesn't even like JRPGs anymore and only continues making them because he just likes writing stories now
Source on that? Fine with me either way really. JRPGs are one of the few genres that still allow long-form stories with a lot of dialogue.

They started writing it during development.

>they still made an excellent game

No, they didn't