He actually uses WRPG's and JRPG's as genre definitions

>He actually uses WRPG's and JRPG's as genre definitions.

The terms Action RPG and Turn-based RPG's exist for a reason. If you're allergic to weebshit then just call them anime styled or something, at least that's less misleading.

But there are massive differences between western RPGs and nip RPGs.

>implying dark souls is like final fantasy or tales of xxxxx

Yet you have people arguing Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls are not JRPGS so the whole thing is muddy as fuck.

they're JARPG's

Is Witcher a JRPG?

Game has tons of waifus and you play as a pre-made Mary Sue

JRPGs in general:
>turn based
>massive stat autism
>preset characters
>flashy main characters
>clichés
>power of friendship
>males are either the MC, his friends, or useless
>females are either waifus or non-existent

WRPGs in general
>real time
>stats pretty much don't matter
>character creator or mary sue male
>easy as piss
>story is either good, absolute shit, or doesn't exist

notice the "in general", meaning there are exceptions

What do you call those godawful top down point and click rpgs like Baldurs Gate? And don't say Action RPG thats an insult.

>Notice the "in general", meaning there are exceptions.

So why use it when superior alternatives exist?

Because action RPGs and turn based RPGs don't take into account all the other things that define WRPG and JRPG, like the story, characters, and other things.

>What do you call those godawful top down point and click rpgs like Baldurs Gate? And don't say Action RPG thats an insult.

Isomentric RPG's.

It's not a superior alternative. Dragon Age Origins and Dark Souls would both fall under the same umbrella according to your backwards retarded system.

>Because action RPGs and turn based RPGs don't take into account all the other things that define WRPG and JRPG, like the story, characters, and other things.

But then calling stuff like Tales of JRPG is dishonest.

Computer Role Playing Game (CRPG)

>Dragon's Dogma
What? That game is Japanese as fuck.

Never played them because I don't play JRPGs, but from a quick google:
>flashy characters
>weird outfits
>multicolour hairs
>huge fucking weirdly designed weapons
>anime

looks like a JRPG through and through to me.

>medieval fantasy
No

Last time I checked you couldn't pause combat in Dark Souls. Origins is more turn-based than action.

>flashy characters
>weird outfits
>multicolour hairs
>huge fucking weirdly designed weapons

All those can be applied to World of Warcarft.

CRPG
>Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment
Open World RPG
>The Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, Dragon's Dogma
Hack-n-Slash
>Diablo, Torchlight, Path of Exile
Dungeon Crawler
>Darkest Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey, Legend of Grimrock
Turn-Based RPG
>Final Fantasy, Divinity, Dragon Quest
Action-RPG
>Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Roguelike RPG
>Shiren the Wanderer, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Nethack
>RPG
Deus Ex, System Shock, Alpha Protocol

In case it's not clear, it's possible for an RPG to be more than one of these things at once.

Not in setting but how it feels in general.
Western games and Japanese games usually feel different in its presentation and controls scheme. Sort of like how you can tell that the Witcher, stalker and pathologic are games clearly made by russians and polish that differ from traditional western games.

Good post.

Difference being WoW has multiple playable species, meaning weird characters are a possibility. JRPGs are always filled with humans.
Also, the outfits and weapons aren't flashy in the same way as in a JRPG. Everything looks like armor, and weapons, albeit flashy, I admit.
In Tales the first picture I saw was some girl dressed like a whore and filled with belts with an XxX~UltraDemonicUnique~XxX claw weapon.

Oh, and I forgot:
MMORPG
>World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, The Elder Scrolls Online
Strategy RPG
>Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics

(Please be advised that games like Advance Wars and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars are turn-based strategy games, not strategy RPGs.)

>Difference being WoW has multiple playable species, meaning weird characters are a possibility. JRPGs are always filled with humans.

Granblue Fantasy.

>turn based
>implying the revolutionary and iconic Active Time Battle system can be considered turn-based
>implying that Final Fantasy 10 and Final Fantasy 9 are in different genres
>implying that the remake of Final Fantasy changes what genre it is in
>implying that the simplistic labels of Action and Turn based are capable of encompassing the great breadth of RPG battle systems
>implying that the terms jrpg and wrpg only refer to the means by which combat is performed rather than also acting as a description for a myriad of cultural and narrative differences between games made in Japan and the West
>implying that RPG genres should only relate to the game's combat and ignore the rest of what the game has to offer
>implying that it makes sense to label a game based solely on the control scheme by which fights are carried out

gee mate i don't know these two seem EXACTLY alike

again, flashy stuff, way flashier than warcraft, extremely ~unique~ characters, belts fucking everywhere, what the fuck is she wielding? a microphone? a halberD?
compare that to the dumb orc with the axe

Nice goal post moving.

problem is that is one of the flashiest armor sets you found while googling
the girl i posted is pretty much the first one i found after typing "granblue fantasy"

You retards are all focusing on the aesthetics when there are massive design differences between JRPGs and WRPGs.

JRPGs started similar to WRPGs (they were directly influenced by Ultima and Wizardry after all), but with Final Fantasy II and Dragon Quest III a precedent was set for heavily linear, narative-focused games that tell you a story instead of letting you participate in it. Non-combat stats like Charisma and Perception are nowhere to be found, there are no choices for the player to make, and progression is almost entirely linear. The focus on combat also made it a shitload more accessible and strategic, because it was the main meat of the gameplay.

Meanwhile CRPGs continued to go in a direction directly influenced by tabletop Dungeons & Dragons where the onus was on the player to more or less progress as they wanted, choose between fighting and diplomacy, and focused more on world-building and populating the world with characters than in telling one discrete story. The greater focus on the "role-playing" aspect of "role-playing game" also made the combat much clunkier.

>the plot/characters affect the genre

>problem is that is one of the flashiest armor sets you found while googling.

So it's a WRPG when only the lategame gear looks like a christmas tree? Really splitting hairs here dude.

Hey, someone who's not retarded

Honestly? That's a pretty good way to put it. Hadn't thought of that one but it applies to WRPGs a lot too.

Flashiness isn't a key facet of a JRPG, it's just a recent trend. Look at FF7. It's definitely iconic whether you like it or not, and a lot of it was designed by Nomura, who absolutely does flashy overdesigned shit sometimes(see the kingdom hearts hatzippers). Are the character designs in 7 flashy? Cloud wears a dark purple SOLDIER uniform for the whole game, Cid wears a Pilot suit, Tifa has a white tank top and a black skirt, Aeristh has some kind of button up sundress, Barret wears a brown jacket and pants. Cloud has kinda weird hair because he spikes it, I guess, but it's a normal enough color. Sephiroth is kind of flamboyant because he doesn't wear a shirt but a black trenchcoat isn't exactly eye searing. The only one who's really what I would call flashy is Vincent but even then in a muted kind of way. And that's one of the most iconic and copied games in the genre. Bad JRPGs are excessively flashy and overdesigned, and some good ones can stray a little too far out in that direction too, but it's not a requirement.

>Honestly? That's a pretty good way to put it. Hadn't thought of that one but it applies to WRPGs a lot too.

So Dragon Quest is basically a WRPG?

Sure, but compare that big dumb orc with this big dumb ogre. Not so different. Can you honestly say this guy would look out of place in WoW(were he rendered by the same engine obviously)?

guess you have a point
then again, that big dumb orc is the main characters, whereas that big dumb ogre doesn't look like the MC

No, he's a boss fight(actually that might be the regular enemy version, but that's not the point). And you're right that the main character of a JRPG is almost always a human or something that looks like a human. But they don't all have flashy designs. Take a look at this fellow. He's a main character(the game frequently switches which character is the player character for story reasons). Not very flashy at all, I would say. Though he doesn't fit the setting of WoW I don't think he'd look out of place if blizzard were to make a game with a more modern world.

Both Final Fantasy and Divinity: Original Sin are turn-based. They're so vastly different that it's impossible not to have two different terms for them.

>Both Final Fantasy and Divinity: Original Sin are turn-based. They're so vastly different that it's impossible not to have two different terms for them.

Both DOOM and Battlefield are different but they're still FPS games.

One is single player, the other one is multiplayer.
At least compare DOOM to STALKER.

one is in the western tradition, the other is in an eastern tradition

FF is barely an RPG. It's what japs describe as RPG, only because it borrows the most basic combat rules of D&D 1.0. Most JRPG's are like this.

>Deus Ex, System Shock, Alpha Protocol
Aren't those called Immersive Sims?