Was it really that bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo
youtube.com/watch?v=o7VRWpr1UHw&index=3&list=RDKByla_uGhro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes

No, great game.
It would have been worse if they tried to make the same game for the 4th time.

It's not as good as HoI 3 or HoI 5 but it's still fun and has the best soundtrack in vidya

the person who made the creature design should be shot

Town screens are worse

This.
I really liked the interface though. It was comfy
Overall it still had that Homm charm, I liked it. None of the knockoff Homms like V did it for me.

It was rushed.
AI basically doesn't work, rendering is buggy, cheap-looking animations. It was doomed from the start and didn't even launch with multiplayer (they had to patch that shit in because it simply wasn't ready).

Whatever good ideas it may had were buried underneath of it simply being unfinished.

3DO was the worst thing to happen to the MM franchise.

No pretty sure that's still Ubisoft

It would be still poorly received even if it was more polished. They changed too much in a single installment.

3DO was in death's door
so i think it's justifies it, but still
it was a pretty fucking shit game although it had really great storry telling

Heroes on the battlefield was a bad decision and so was simultaneous attacking.
Having to pick one of two creatures per tier was actually a great idea, but they botched it by not having enough tiers to go with it.
And good god, combat visuals are from hell.

battle heroes was good though. and i loved that as you didn't had a default class, but as you gained level with your heroes you got a class, like ninja, beastmaster, knight. That was also a really good innovation.

Maybe the idea wasn't bad, but in practice it just introduced an extremely fragile line between your hero being a useless squishy to be protected or a combat juggernaut soloing armies.

soloing 20 black dragon was the whole purpose of this system, and i liked it

>defending a city doesnt give your archers any advantage anymore
>buttfuckingugly everything

It's unbalanced as all hell, but otherwise it's pretty decent in my book. It tried some different things which I don't mind.

No it's a god damn masterpiece

It's fun, the music is great, but 3 is just way better.

The levelling system for heroes is among the best I've seen, the rest ranges from bad to ok.

Anyone play through HOMM1? I'm a few campaign scenarios in and it's pretty damn fun.

Yes.
There were good bits as well. Tiny bits.

I still play it from time to time. I love the children's book aesthetics,
That said, it's a pure nostalgia trip for me, the game is just too simple. HoMM 2 is pretty much just an improved and expanded version of it, even the creatures' stats are the same.

It was a good game, but followed 3, arguably one of the best games of all time. It paled in comparison, but had some really neat ideas.

There are some bad parts of course:
Less playable factions
Fusing Inferno and Necro was a terrible Idea
There were less units, and while picking 1 per tier was interesting, it could have been implemented a lot better.
Heroes no longer had a unique skill.

I just wish it was easier to mod, then maybe some people could fix the problems it has, because I really love the game, it has some of the best campaigns in the series, the Half-Dead in particular.

No it has the best theme in all of HoMM. Its just not as good as 3. Still a great game.
youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo

What did they mean by this?

The Inferno/Necro Fusion they did was the stupidest shit. All the Inferno Units were inferior, and they had no synergy due to morale penalty of the undead in the army.

nope, it was actually better than 5 but fags disagree.
didn't remember the graphics being that shitty though, i prolly just didn't pay attention since graphics doesn't matter

the idea was great, exection felt off though.
exactly like said.
also the monsters moving a bit was a nice thing too

placing hero on battlefield was a undeniably bad idea
isometric view was nice
limiting buildings per city is questionable at best
sprite animations were crap
you were pretty much forced to train combat skills in campaign, because hero's death during battle was usually instant game over screen, even if army survived.

Isn't "dead" hero will be with 1 hp after the battle if his troops won?

Undead campaign was really good.

They were not sprites, they were 3d models.

I genuinely liked the concept of heroes actually being able to fight, and become a hundred different classes depending on the skills you level on them.

It was the only good thing about the game, and its a shame it didnt catch on in the next games.

You could bring a dead hero's tombstone to a city to rez him if I remeber correctly, but that user wrote about campaign, so maybe he had some scenario lose conditions in mind. I don't remember much about that.

Ghosts, poison spitters, devils and grandmaster necromancy for vampires was the patrician choice

They were sprites made from 3d models.
Just like Homm3. In fact, even in H3 almost everything was made from models, even town screens and artifacts.

3D models converted into sprites.

I think every campaign in 4 had that ass condition where death of MC would give Game Over screen after battle ended, even if technically you could simply haul his dead ass to town and rez him. IIRC you can recover hero even after his army loses, because he gets locked up in nearest prison, and he's released if you capture it.

This senseless limitation is probably result of painfully linear story folowing in HoMM4, where pretty much everything can be triggered only by MC

If you play SP in HoMM, you should try King's Bounty. It's very similar, just without city buildings and resource harvesting, and focused on battles and questing instead.

1.Gameplay was ok.
2.Graphics was a downgrade compared to all the former parts.
3.Music was fucking horrible, it made me depressed.
4.Castles were rather crappy.
5.Artifacts weren't as memorable and significant as in the HOMM3.
6.Castle siege was ugly beyond comprehension.

>3.Music was fucking horrible, it made me depressed.
Now that's an unpopulat opinion. Although I disagree with the high praise the soundtrack usually gets. It uses lots of stock chord progressions and that kinda ruins it for me. Probably due to the fact that the game was unfinished, even music was rushed.

that sounds terrible

I had forgot how butt as fuck ugly the black dragon was in HoMM 1

>Loved HooM 2 as a kid, always played it co-op with best friend

>Got pic related for my birthday.
> Dad, can you install it right away, I wanna play now
> Sure son, grabs CD1 of 2
>CD 1 is HoMM 1 CD2 HoMM2
>Installs HoMM 1
>Looks fucking nothing like HoMM2
>Dad, is this reallt HoMM 2 looks nothing like it, did you install the wrong game.
>I installed it from CD and everything son
>Plays HoMM1 for like 6-12 Months, starts learning English better, computers better.
>Inserts the second CD
>Says Install HoMM2 + expansion
>Finally Bliss.

Being a dum kid sucks. Still have the box, and everything in pic related, in mint condition somewhere.

I don't know user, it just made me sad each time I heard it. In HOMM3 instrumentals were kind of atmospheric, giving you a sense of evil, cunningness, holiness or tranquillity but they were always related to the lore background of the castle. In HOMM4 there were all just depressing and the actual singers added to the instumentals ruined the climate for me.

What the fuck did you just say?!

IV needed more development time it wouldn't ever get because of the publisher circumstances.

These look like placeholder models holy shit.

And these arn't even the worst, feast you're eyes on the medusa

You don't view them up close in game, they're actually pretty detailed, design choices notwithstanding.

>HoMM2 & 3
>worst things to happen

At least her feet are modeled.
The demonsekeleton thing just has human feet with tubes crudely stuck onto them.

>no indie Homm game
>have to play a russian mod

unlimited ammo plus stone kills, allways took this bitches

Is VCMI playable? Will it ever be done?

Will any of those old heroes 3 mods ever be done bros

>spend a few dozen hours avoiding and jinking past "Impossible" or "Very Hard" enemies to get upgrade items lying around so that you can eventually backtrack to the same place and beat their ass for exp and money only to go to a new area and do it all over again

Yeah, why the fuck nobody kickstarted a HoMM clone yet? Is it that irrelevant in USA? I know that eastern europeans are freaking crazy about it and are hammering at some complex modding projects to this day.

Why bother making a sequel to perfection? It's just going to fail.

>>defending a city doesnt give your archers any advantage anymore
Standing on the towers reduces incoming damage and damage they deal

You could say the same about that Obsidian's faux spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate and yet they're releasing another one.
Also HoMM 3 is by no means perfect.

Basically. One of the best Heroes campaigns, but I'm no fan of the game itself.

King's Bounty is pretty fucking good and actually challenging but the fact its not really turn-based is a deal breaker for many Heroes fans. If you like Heroes and CCG you can always check out Etherlords as well.

The difference is that story driven rpgs aren't as replayable as strategic games like homm. Why bother leaning the systems of a new game when you could just go back to a familiar classic that still has replay value? It's like when blizzard tried to make a sequel to brood war, and people still play brood war.

first game i bought with my own money was HOMM3, sadly threw away the cereal box ages ago but i still have the manual and all the other stuff for it somewhere, and my old HOMM2 and 3 CDs of course

I loved casting mass misfortune followed by fire magic

>I still play it from time to time. I love the children's book aesthetics,
If you want children's book aesthetics then play HoMM2.

Because you played the old game to death?
Also I'm pretty sure Starcraft 2 was a huge hit and is still vastly more popular than Broodwar even after remaster, so your example doesn't really work.

I can't help but think there's an entire missing step in finalizing those graphics. Like a final pass to touch them up or something. But then again the company was dying and Heroes 4 got off easy compared to Might & Magic 9.

This.
>MC loses? Tough luck faggot game over.
>You arrived at a story location but the MC is at the other end of the map? Tough luck fag walk with him here for the next 20 turns

The only reason I never got into HoMM4 was because I thought it was butt ugly. What is wrong with this game apart from the eye-scaldingly bad artwork?

the real question is why does everyone suck 3's dick so hard when 2 is better
3 is so fucking ugly it makes my eyes bleed like Jesus

its like they modeled it with google sketch up

Nothing really. Soundtrack is great, campaign is fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=o7VRWpr1UHw&index=3&list=RDKByla_uGhro

3 has the best cities by far

Is it me or Stronghold is rather good in this game? Get Lord with Nobility skill in the tavern, raise him to Nobility 3 which happens very quickly, rush everyone with lots of creatures.

Heroes now fight like normal units and the implementation is iffy at best
Units can now walk without heroes and you can have multiple heroes in an army
Only 4 unit tiers and you have to choose from 2 creatures in the last 3 tiers
Only 6 towns
No hexes in battles, now it's just a field of tiny squares
Simultaneous retaliation
Daily creature growth instead of weekly

Probably more, but those are the main points I guess. Not all of this is necessarily bad, but they changed too much in a single game.

They're too samey imo. I liked that H2 towns had some glaring weaknesses, for example no flyers for Knight and Barbarian.

Yes it's garbage.
Combat screen makes the game completely irredeemable

This looks like one of those cheep-ass Homm3 town mods. What the fuck is this town even supposed to be?

>its a shame it didnt catch on in the next games
Have you played Homm V?

It wasn't really, whole game just oozes atmosphere, the soundtrack is great and for once the campaigns are actually very well written. My second favorite Heroes desu.

I just beat legend. I did that for the first few continents but then I caved in and cheated quite a bit. Fucking tedious game, if you lose even one unit then you're fucked and have to backtrack and replenish your army. Why you can only have 2 reserve slots is beyond me

Been so long since I tried it, but their implementation of tiny squares on the combat screen and different sizes was garbage, in theory it can be great, but it made it so you didn't know exactly on which squares your creature would end up on, which is kind of the basic thing a game with tactical combat needs to get right