Finally picked it up in the Humble Bundle after watching Sup Forums shill it for years

Finally picked it up in the Humble Bundle after watching Sup Forums shill it for years.
It's fucking terrible.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lCyiW882D7U
youtube.com/watch?v=xzH7h465MMM
gta.wikia.com/wiki/Controls_for_GTA_III
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GTA 3 is one of those games that was revolutionary for it's time but not really worth playing anymore because it's sequels are miles better.
Even VC which came out a year after this one is so much, much better.

3d games age like shit, no matter how much fun they used to be

Its not perfect but surely there is some base enjoyment you can get from driving around in the city and doing missions.

Fuck me, how young must you be to be such a contrarian about GTA 3?

This game was a blockbuster on it's release, being heavily shilled by Sony for the PS2, correctly as the game is a fucking masterpiece.

gb2/secondlife/ you fucking child.

you had to play it in 2002 for the full effect

This is the only GTA in which I enjoy more doing the missions than fucking around.

What are your main problems with it?

Hard Mode: No comparison to further games in the series

>game is old
>kiddies can't adapt
what else is new?

lol you paid for a 20 year old game
and you were surprised it was shit

To be fair there were a lot of better games in the bundle.

I wish i would've played it before, played VC, then SA and finished with IV, all awesone in their own way, those were the years, is III mechanically as good as VC?

It is absolutely amazing.

Keyword here being "was"

I'm sorry you are only 12 with an extreme case of ADHD and a game thats been regarded as revolutionary by thousands doesnt calm you shit filled mind.

Go back to CoD faggot

>all these dudes who can't handle they're game is bad so they just throw ''u a kiddy XD'' strawmen arguments at the wind, unable to actually defende the shitty game

Yeah. Was. Because it came out in the past. Hence why you use the word "was".

What the fuck is wrong with you. Do you not understand the passing of time? Are you so focused on being a piece of shit all the time that you dont realize the stupid nonsense you say? Try harder faggot.

I'm 25 but was raised in an authoritarian household so scurry hooker shooting games weren't allowed.
I enjoy CRPGs so I don't think I should have much of a problem with any action game that isn't genuinely boring as hell.

It feels like I'm grinding rep in an MMO instead of playing for any sort of imherent enjoyable experience, except there's not even the stupid MMO dopamine Skinner box checkpoints to jerk me off. It just keeps going.
The only decent thing is racing, because the cars aren't built like tanks and can't just plow through everything so you actually have to drive. Reminds of Saint's Row 2 motorcycle racing.

this is like complaining about twilight zone because you know all the twists from references and parodies done decades after the fact.

>all these preteen losers who cant handle a game made before 2010 because so many games now hold their hand while throwing distracting lights and sounds to emulate depth.

How bout you pose a problem with it, instead of being a hypocritical piece of shit?

It WAS good at the time. Now it's objectively an outdated and bland experience with mechanics that were improved in later games such as SA, 4 and 5.
Take the nostalgia goggles off for once you dense cunt

>boring as hell

Good fucking argument. CRPGs are boring as hell. Try harder

Lesson learned. Never believe nostalgia fags.

> be me in 2001
> am 11
> have gta 2 for ps1 and rented 1 and london from blockbuster
> brother comes home with GTA 3 unexpectedly
> it's unbelievable.
> could not imagine a game like this would be possible
> cannot believe I am playing an open world game in third person where I can do anything.
> spend countless hours after school and weekends playing with all neighborhood kids

> fast forward to middle school
> middle school is in the rough part of town
> i get picked on because i am nerdy white kid
> vice city comes out
> game is somehow even better than gta 3
> bring strategy guide to school
> one of the bullies notices we have a shared interest
> he is then nice to me

> be 28
> only game i'm good at and get enjoyment out of is csgo
> they change dust2
> can't learn any new nade spots
> life ruined
> wish i could go back to those gta3 times user

>Original game in 2001 that's had its formula repeated and perfected ad infinitum isn't good by today's standards

and this is when user knew he should be a hero

GTA 3 is boring as shit
>small, laughable map
>"story" is garbage and is only there to serve as something of a platform for missions
>protagonist is basically a mute non-character and a glorified errand boy
>soundtrack is low budget techno shit and literally ripped off Scarface soundtrack because R* didn't have the money to have a licensed soundtrack to the likes of VC and SA
I respect the game for being like a gateway to better things (Vice City, San Andreas) but it's basically a museum piece and that's it. Literally no reason to play it aside from novelty check to see what the series started
>inb4 fags saying I missed GTA 1/2
literally no one played them

>after watching Sup Forums shill it for years.

I thought it was generally accepted that GTA3 has aged like milk?

People love VC and SA but 3 is almost always met with "It was good for its time".

DOB 1999+

>argument
I'm not arguing. He asked why I didn't like it. That's a subjective value claim. Go back to r/philosophy or Sup Forums if you want some hardcore argumentation.

nice strawman lmao.

>GTA5
>improved

Just because the graphics got shinier doesnt make it a better game. GTAV was an online clusterfuck with a single player option. At least in 3, you had things to do. Optional side quests that unlocked bonuses, various minigames, collectables, unique vehicles, rare locations. What does GTAV have? Stranger Missions? Collect alien parts for a buggy that has neato sounds? Even SA was just "let see how much random shit we can fit in this game" game.

If you're not a child, why didn't you play it in 2002 like everyone else who isn't a child?

>small, laughable map
Vice City's map was even smaller
>"story" is garbage and is only there to serve as something of a platform for missions
Same can be said for Vice City
>protagonist is basically a mute non-character and a glorified errand boy
I'd rather have a mute protagonist than tommy vercettis phoned in preformance
>inb4 fags saying I missed GTA 1/2
let me guess, your first GTA was 4 right?

Who /ghosttown/ here?

Deterring the point to Sup Forums than actually bringing up any valid points. Good job. Maybe you can call me a racist or a millenial while your at it

BASED
A
S
E
D

Who flew busted ass Dodo there?

>be in 11th grade
>gta3 releases
>friends and I steal PS2s and games from walmart
>smoke weed and play the shit out of this game
i want to go back

>Vice City's map was even smaller
false
>Same can be said for Vice City
false, Tommy has real goals, a real arc (from a lowly mob hitman to a drug kingpin) and characterization. Claude (or whatever III's protagonist's name was) was always a thug and stayed a thug doing missions for various gangs.
>I'd rather have a mute protagonist than tommy vercettis phoned in preformance
>shitting on Ray Liotta
now that is some shitty taste lmao
>let me guess, your first GTA was 4 right?
no, it was SA on PS2

>literally no one played them

Jesus, did you grow up in an alternate dimension or were you just isolated in a cage growing up?

why are you 4 fags so buttblasted about 5 lmao

I guess playing it now, but it was so amazing when came out. I think I only waste more hours in gta sa compared to all gta games.
And half of the time I think I was trying to fly dodo, all those handling.cfg editing for longer flights.

what did you think when you first saw this commercial, Sup Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=lCyiW882D7U

Why would I bring up points? I am still not arguing any position. I, personally, don't enjoy the repetitive gameplay loop. I reported this observation upon request.

III and VC were, and are, the only good installments in the franchise.

why didn't you like San Andreas?

niggers

>Claude (or whatever III's protagonist's name was) was always a thug and stayed a thug doing missions for various gangs.
why is that bad though. you say he has no character development but going from doing dirty work for the mafia to doing increasingly more dirty work for the yakuza running through his cartel enemies all just to get revenge is pretty good development. especially since he is pretty much the only one standing (and sane) at the end of the game

saw that coming from a mile away

>tfw gta 3 wasnt the one we were supposed to get solely because of 9/11

>Not playing the best GTA

YOU ARRRRRRRREEEE A RADIO STARRRRR!

I thought they just removed some terrorist missions and the full winged dodo

it was more but rockstar never mentioned what it was.

They did, he's retarded.

eventually you're going to have to come to terms with the fact black people will pound your girlfriend/wife and then you will be happier

ignant user xd

Really? I rarely ever see people talk about it. It was a revolutionary game for its time but its long been surpassed many times over. Even by its own series. Its worth trying out just for historical purposes but of course you won't enjoy it compared to the millions of other open world games that plague the industry. At one point though GTA3 was all I cared about for a year or so when I was a young teen.

it's pretty meh when compared to similar open world games at the time that came out (VC, Mafia 1, SA)

Nigger

I would say Daggerfall was more revolutionary than GTA III was. Daggerfall is also more fun. I played it recently and had a blast with it but I've never really cared for GTA III apart from Game FM

how was mafia guys development any better? he goes from normal guy to mafia guy and eventually gets in trouble with his mafia buds and turns snitch. that's like standard fair mafia story. at least in claude's struggle he kills the mafia boss who has it in for him

The missions and the style/atmosphere aren't dated. Who the fuck still plays any PS2 gta for the sandbox anyways?

aint no thing but a chicken wing, wit a big butt layin in yo lap

doing a 100% run in 3/VC is ridiculous fun though

GTA SA has more varied stuff to do than any GTA that's been released since

You know, minus the empty as fuck map.

5 has more stuff
>inb4 it removed stuff
yes it did. also added more

This isn't true at all. A great game almost always remains great for me.

A problem III also has.

Vice City has tons more stuff to do than III

I never understood this complaint. what exactly do you want from the video game? an enemy every 5 meters? driving 30 meters for every mission? a collectible around every corner? every road being formed of jump stunts? seriously what is an open world game you consider ''not empty''?

>buys game that's almost 20 years old
>expects it to still be good
oh i am laffin

gta3

GTA 3 is one of those games with a certain jenny sea claw that is hard to find these days. Something about walking out onto that low poly rainy street, and the way the tail lights blur when you swing the camera. I remember the first time I played it and Claude closed the car door when the car came to a stop, and I thought, "this is amazing," just the fact they would include a detail like that blew my mind at the time.

how is it any different than the map structure from VC? it has about the same density of content, and even the hoods with gangs in them are similar

next you'll tell me GTA 4 is better

I remember first seeing GTA3 and the PS2 when my cousins boyfriend brought his over to my nans and set it up. It was fucking mindblowing, I can remember being amazed by the graphics, he turned an ambulance n its side and it had glossy reflections that shimmered as the ambulance sill rocked a little bit on its side and then he climbed out of the door facing upwards and was standing on the now flaming ambulance and there were tens of pedestrians and cars around as it was happening

I've never felt a leap in gaming advancement like that since

It's worth playing at least once, at least for you to realize how much gaming has changed over the years.

>small, laughable map

"you know gurl, he's all, let me show it, let me get it out, so i'm like, damny boy, get it, get it out. Then he shows me, the SMALLEST map I have ever goddamn seen in my LIFE! Nigga made me fall out of my chair it was so funny."

Look, I understand GTA 3 was just as unpopulated, but everything block seemed like it served some purpose for the world. While Vice City is a bit bigger than III's Liberty, it also had a giant as fuck beach on one side, 3 main roads, and a shit ton of empty lots all over the place. While I applaud the first island beyond the misuse of the beach's size, the second Island is a massive after thought. The entire game is also way too flat. While it forced you to get creative with your jumps, there just wasn't much variety.

Again, too much time was spent perfecting the first island. When I think back to the game, those areas are all I remember. All the second Island had was Little haiti as something worth a damn.

This shit impressed me as a kid. I'm now a full-time videographer and editor and all I can think about now is how some intern probably shit it out in the course of an hour.

But that shit out commercial left quite the impression on me so job well done.

The only problem I have with GTA 3 is the weird camera angle when you aim

are you like 12

Pure kino.

4 is a lot better so is the entire Saints Row series

mods?

Experience has taught me that a man like you can be very loyal for the right price

Get the fuck out tard.

I can tell this video was made by a 12 year old

imaging judging a 20 year old game using modern standards. obviously it hasnt aged well but when gta 3 came out it was considered revolutionary, no other game nailed down the sandbox with as much freedom

It's really hard to go back to now, but it still has a nice atmosphere.

I guess that's a perspective thing.

that music though

youtube.com/watch?v=xzH7h465MMM

this right here. Fuck you, OP

>csgo
>enjoyment

I reinstalled it recently and completely forgot it doesn't have a jump button, which was really jarring.

gta.wikia.com/wiki/Controls_for_GTA_III

dingus, there is a jump button