Why aren't you learning how to code and make vidya, anons?

Why aren't you learning how to code and make vidya, anons?

Why don't you?

C++ is horrible to code in, unless you're part of a company and plan to make your own engine

What would you prefer?

>Become programmer
>all your memes are now variations of "microsoft sucks" or "my code sucks"

Not really. Unreal uses c++

Not all games require a fully featured engine, there's nothing wrong with c++

I know how to program, I just don't want to make video games
what now, faggot

he didn't say it's bad, it's just tough

>learn to code
>waste all of your experience on becoming a hack who gets paid to literally jack off.
sounds good but I'll have to pass.

I don't know where to start in coding.

Because
>need to know language syntax
>need to learn IDE
>need to learn engine
>need to learn coding patterns
>need to know basic computer sci
>need to know a whole bunch of mathematical fields from geometry to calculus
>need to know physics
>need to know a fuckton about algorithms
>need to know networking
>need to know game design
>need to know game balancing
>need to create maps with good layout
>need to create 2d art
>need to create 3d meshes, texture, unwrap, rig, animate
>need to generate procedural levels
>need to know a rendering api
>need to continuously check for bugs
>need to write a story with interesting characters for a lot of games
>need to implement audio

How am i supposed to do all this as 1 person

Those are tasks that a team are assigned to do to work on AAA games
You're not going to produce an AAA game as one person, dumbass

I am a software developer and i code the whole day. When i get home i don't want to do the same thing i do at work

this.

No, those are tasks required to make a basic game other than pong or some shitty text game. Triple AAA is basically just quantity/quality of art assets.

I am a software developer who works on laser systems. When i get home i don't want to code

c++ is great for interfacing with windows and other programs, isn't it??? i had fun learning it when i was going through it

Most of those things are universal to all vidya

I already know but Im shit as an artist

If you dont know how to code in C++ you cant call yourself a programmer

I'm doing things that are actually important, pay well, and are appreciated for who I do them for (unlike games, where autists hate everything for any miniscule reason and want the company / director to burn / send death threats / steal). I'll take 160k a year as a CPA and dog trainer over 50k a year to constantly be reminded how overentitled the common gamer is.

So I guess the question is, why ARE YOU learning C++?

You sound entitled as fuck

>Learning C++
>Not Perl

"entitled"
>spent eight years becoming a CPA, worked my ass off
>don't want to do a field where I slave away 80 hour weeks on something people don't even appreciate, for far less money
that's not entitlement buddy, it's common sense

>t. corporate drone

Why not just end it already?

Because I make more in one year than you will make in your entire life, and enjoy my life while doing so.

If you want to make games something object heavy like Java, c#, python are solid to learn.

>i make more money in mimimum wage positions!!!!
Why lie on a chinese forum sweetie

Good goy!

C++ is the best object oriented language and its used in any serious game

There are impressionable people on Sup Forums who will look at this thread, so please don't say nonsense like "Java is good", they might actually believe it.

This is the biggest meme. Point 1 is performance. Point 2 is that you don't actually learn shit while coding in Java or C#. I learned more in one week of C++ than in a year of those combined. Those languages allow you to get away with literal murder of a code, while having some of the most dumbfucking design imaginable (everything has to be in a class/struct, lul, good one C#).

>C++ is the best object oriented language and its used in any serious game
spotted the nodev

why would I willingly code using c++ when c# exists?

>he doesn't code in jai

Get with the time grandpa

LuaTex is the thinking man's choice for video game development.

>He doesnt make his games directly in assembly

Lol I bet you are a soyboy

Coding is not the problem, I can't come up with a fun game idea

Because I'm signing up for it next week when I can afford it, user

Hire me I'm a professional idea guy from the best ideaguy university. I will give you the next billion dollar ip

Is there any better combination of languages for game dev than C and Lua? I don't think so.

I can't code for shit desu. C++ starts out easy until you have to implement data structure and algorithm.

Aww, baby needs an assembly layer of abstraction? Can't make a game by alternating high and low voltages like a real man?

Java isn't mean for games as how bloaty it can get.
t. java dev
I would take java over PHP or memescript any day.

>C++
>Not LISP
>Not OCaml
>Not literally anything else

C++tards have Stockholm syndrome

none of those languages are good for game development except C#, which just happens to be okay

back to Sup Forums with your shitty meme languages

We're making video games, not fizzbuzzing

>using pleb teir high to mid level languages like C, C++, LISP, etc
>not making your game in assembly
literal retard

you're not. learn a few and join a team lul.

a lot of that stuff is pretty basic. what are you on about

I'm assuming this is bait but if not how the heck did the OP trigger you with such an innocuous question?

>make a gamedev thread with engine logos in the op
>full of webms of anons' games and fun discussion

>make a gamedev thread with c++ in the op
>full of frogs and autism
can't make this shit up

ps4 games are written in c and c++

But I am.

Find Game Jams in your area and get on a team where someone else will make up an idea.

Aye. Game jams are infested with idea guys.
But that's not as bad as backseat programmers

Bullet hell film noir inspired schmup

But I'm learning C right now.

Is C++ the only language that has weird cult-like conferences where the topic of every talk is always how everybody should convert to the church of C++? I think it is.

No, that's javascript

C# is much better at that.

Javascript people seem to spread their language by making new frameworks and libraries that allow you to use the language in new contexts. C++ people post sermons on Youtube and pile on more language features.

tihs

oh, okay. i only learned a little bit of c++ after playing tis 100, i guess i can check out c# too

>No money in it.
>Get treated like shit by big publishers if you make anything of worth.

C++ is a mess
Python is comfy to write
I love Java

I don't give a fuck.

>allow you to use the language in new contexts
This is entirely wrong. You can use any language in any context. It's just a matter of having a wrapper written for it.

Javascript in general suffers from every library and framework being reinvented wheel. Outside the fucked NPM dependency ecosystem, javascript on its own is pretty damn retarded where
>every number is a float
>implicit casting
>two types of nullability
>two types of equality
>keyword shadowing
>var being subtly broken
>no respect for scopes
>hipster programmers writing blogs on how it's next coming of christ instead of actually working with the language
>if you want newest features, you suffer from the it's turtles all the way down syndrome
and many, many more.

It is indeed true that there should be a cross platform language to reduce the development costs for projects, but god, it should not be javascript.

hello pajeet

Did you mean Rust?

I played SHENZHEN I/O I don't need to learn to code any more than that

There is literally not a single AAA game released in the 2000s that doesn't use C++

>C++ is a mess
>I love Java
I love freedom to do things however I want. You just need good practices when you have freedom. That is why I found C++ to be my favorite language so far while Java felt more like a "mess" to me.

C++ is fine, but I cannot into C. Maybe it was because I had a professor who didn't explain pointers very well.

>can't do art
>can't do music
>can't do storytelling
>can't do level design
>have no innovative game ideas
great question OP

>tfw i printed it's manual

No, I think you're just a horrible programmer.

it's boring as shit
i'd rather mop the streets than write lines of code on a pc for 12 hours a day in the most toxic industry in the world

But pointers are easy. What gives you trouble with them?

because I'm learning Japanese instead so I can work on translating nippon games since the west can't make games for shit.

I don't understand how it's possible to know C++ without knowing C.

Already got a coding job, can't draw for shit, and I've already taken it as a hobby to use assembly in conjunction with cheat engine to mess with games

It is indeed true that there should be a cross platform language to reduce the development costs for projects

Isn't that what the actual Java language tried to do?

I know, it's weird. C didn't click with me, but I got into C++ no problem.

Is there any professional appeal to knowing c++ if you don't have a cs degree?

Please tell me people don't actually make games with Python and Java.

This.
I have ideas of what I'd want to do but I'm not sure what the first step is supposed to be.

What about Lua?

I only know Java :(

To be fair java is the one i feel most comfortable with because of the sheer amount of easy to digest material i found when i was solo learning it back then. So i learned to love it. And the verbose code make it easy to follow through.
I really never went too deep into C++ because i never needed it. Just messed with it out of curiosity.

Minecraft was originally written in Java

Name 3 Japanese games with good, balanced, & deep gameplay mechanics. Jappanizu gaems are literally only good for the self insert story mode and waifus.

And it shows

>Metal Gear rising (revegeance mode gives your parry way to much power though)
>SMT games
>Dark souls

Isn't Factorio made in Python?

Viewtiful Joe
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Bayonetta

It was. It never got big in that department because of VM being too memory dependent, applets being security nightmares and that it's verbose as fuck. Later the need to develop for all platforms nearly died, up until the point where mobile devices became tiny pcs, which brought up the need for that again.

Instead it found its place in backend development where VM would run in a headless server environment and could hog all the resources to itself as well as BIG data (see: hadoop).

Mind you the java that's used for android is google's implementation of the spec, not actual java.

its hard

people complain about art but getting a ui that doesn't look like an abortion is so much harder
at least there's stock assets for art

Its hard.

Aren't a lot of VNs made in python? I certainly see a lot of python script whenever I download the latest fotm one to fap

He said games