It's been more than a decade and still no rpg has managed to top this

It's been more than a decade and still no rpg has managed to top this.

Why?

Normies don't want to use their brain while playing

>Normies

What I dont understand is Bethesdas regression since Morrowind? Do people legit think less features and viable ways to play is more fun?

Everything is getting streamlined for casuals but actual fans of RPG's are getting left out in the col because they're the minority. ...and streamlined content doesn't make good role playing games because people like a choice.

It's not more fun but it sells to casuals.

Because the demand for higher production values and better graphics killed them.

RPG's were hit the absolute hardest by streamlining and casualization, the massive amount of content and freedom they offer couldn't keep up with the rising cost of game development. The demand for voice acting, high detail graphics, real-time action combat etc etc; all these things killed RPG's because it forced devs to put more time and resources into each individual aspect. Suddenly you couldn't have as much dialogue, enemies, weapons, choices; since they took so much longer to make.

They refuse to build a new engine. It's so outdated and the games are buggy as fuck. They should be embarrassed, but they have too much money to care.

God I hate Morrowind fags. Get over yourselves.

Why do people unironically think Morrowind is a hardcore RPG? Because muh dice-roll combat?

>Publishers don't want to spend the money necessary to create true RPG's when they can pump out lootbox multiplayer games for easy money

>Morrowind
>anything but braindead

No RPG has topped Morrowind? Are you fucking retarded?
>Oblivion
>Skyrim
>Fallout 3
>Fallout NV
>Fallout 4

All way better.

NV is the only one on that list that has the right to be compared to Morrowind.

>trying so hard to summon gothicfag

I bet he's already in this thread SEETHING

>Oblivion
>Skyrim
>Fallout 3
>Fallout 4
This is bait, but I still took it.

No artistic creativity.
No good music.
Devs prefer hack and slash combat over dice rolls.
Consoles can't handle deep rpg mechanics, consoles being the lead platform when in development - see how thy dumbed down Oblivion and Skyrim to be easier to play action games with XP

People don't play modern Elder Scrolls/Fallout to roleplay, they play to hoard loot. Anything that gets in the way of or which is otherwise unnecessary for hoarding is culled.

>People don't play modern Elder Scrolls/Fallout to roleplay, they play to hoard loot.
This was ALWAYS the case for ES though. No one "roleplays" in these games.

Which is why they suck now.

Morrowind sucks though and so do you.

*always sucked

>no rpg has managed to top this.

Never

Because if you honestly think this then you're too fucking stupid and caught up in your bullshit to be convinced.

Also, name a single game that has better armor designs than Morrowind. Go on, I'm waiting.

I don't get it, why do you guys circlejerk over Morrowind specifically when Daggerfall is even more of a roleplaying game? You can literally make any kind of character you want in it. It even has a custom advantage/disadvantage system which is the kind of thing I wish more RPG's had. I hardly see any Daggerfall discussion on Sup Forums unless if its provocative, (though /vr/ and /tg/ discusses it frequently). The sheer openness, randomization/twists in quests, and world reactivity means that every Daggerfall playthrough is unique in some way.

>muh random generation

The houses and dungeons in Daggerfall are all made of pre-built blocks, just assembled in a random way, it's a neat system imo

Morrowind's setting and atmosphere sets it apart from other fantasy games.

but dice-roll combat is true to the rpg experience!!!

This. OP's a delusional soy boy.

>comparing third-person combat to first-person combat
>using gothic as an example for good combat

You gothicfags really are pathetic.

the graphics give me motion sickness

They're both action RPGs, the camera position doesn't matter. Dice-roll combat in an action RPG is trash, especially if it's first person since you see your attacks phase right through the target even though you clearly hit it, but it didn't register due to some arbitrary invisible stat. The action aspect of Morrowind gives the false impression that the player's skill at using the controls to dodge and hit matters, but in truth it's only the character's stats which matter, meanwhile in Gothic you can still lose if you're a bad player, regardless if your character is strong. Gothic combat is astronomically better and more skill-based than Morrowind combat. Stop deluding yourselves morrowshits.

>no rpg has managed to top this
umm sorry sweetie

LOL

>They're both action RPGs, the camera position doesn't matter.

Yeah, i don't need the read the rest, you're far too retarded.

>meanwhile in Gothic you can still lose if you're a bad player
Exactly why it's an inferior rpg. In Morrowind the stats are your character's skill. It matters less a bout how good the player is, which makes for better roleplaying.

Just kill yourself already gothicfag. Your games are shit. Everyone knows the tes games are better, thats why everyone is hyped for the sixth game. When is the next gothic game coming out? Oh right, no one even remembers them and they sold like shit compared to tes. Everyone will enjoy the new tes when it comes out while you will play your shitty rpg and cry about superior rpgs. Stay mad gothicuck.

>Exactly why it's an inferior rpg.
>If the game isn't fucking mindless and requires zero skill it's bad.
Morrowfags everyone.
> In Morrowind the stats are your character's skill. It matters less a bout how good the player is
You act as if stats and skill are mutually exclusive and are incapable of co-existing.
>which makes for better roleplaying.
>Morrowind
>roleplaying
I laughed.

Todd pls

yeah, never played a worse one

Calm down Toddler

>The houses and dungeons in Daggerfall are all made of pre-built blocks, just assembled in a random way, it's a neat system imo
That's how all random world generation works, genius. The point is that it doesn't compare to maps that have actually been designed.

>Morrowind
>aRPG
Only if you use the most reductionist definition of the genre and ignore the actual mechanical underpinnings of the game.

Daggerfall's story and system were great, but the game aged like milk

The dungeons in Daggerfall are all better than anything in Morrowind though. The only dungeons in Morrowind that are actually good are the first Dwemer dungeon and Kogoruhn. Maybe you can enlighten me. Can you name any dungeons beyond those two that compare to some of the main quest dungeons in Daggerfall like Priveteer's Hold, Direnni Tower, Castle Daggerfall, Castle Sentinel, Scourg Burrow, the Mantellan Crux, Orsinium, or any of the procedually generated dungeons?

Skyrim

No other Elders Scrolls game topped it, thats right.
Still it is not the best RPG to this day. Dont get me wrong, I love Morrowind, but there still are better ones.

Let settle this for once
best city?
For me it's Ald'Ruhn

this but unironically, the only two good things in skyrim are design and music

I wasn't being ironic
Morrowind armor looks like garbage next to Skyrim armor, especially the Dwemer stuff

Skyrim's armor looks generic Nordic armor. That's not design. That's just copying.

morrowind is a walking simulator

>Dice-roll combat in an action RPG is trash, especially if it's first person since you see your attacks phase right through the target even though you clearly hit it
But Gothic 2 has dice roll combat. Criticals exist.
>muh you can still win no matter what if you're good
It's a load of shit that you can kill a troll with a piece of shit club with barely any damage if you strafe around it for 20 minutes. That is not a RPG. If your character isn't built properly to engage a foe in direct combat they shouldn't be able to. There are many very GOOD things about Gothic 2, but if the combat is the main selling point for you, you are probably an autistic kraut that just enjoys mindlessly cleansing the land of enemies that do not respawn and hoarding items in an unlimited inventory.

Tel Mora.

>gothicfag is still at it after being BTFO'd more times than people played his game

Keep at it you autist. Maybe you can reach the Evolvefurfag's level of pure autism.

>Morrowind's setting and atmosphere sets it apart from other fantasy games
It's just inspired by Glorantha. King of Dragon Pass has the same setting.

Morrowniggers should neck themselves.

Do you have any proof for that?

reminder

>Skyrim music
>good
Ah yes, such memorable classics as “Dungeon music heard in every Indiana Jones knockoff”, and “HWAAH set to repeat over drums.”

>reminder you have to hate this game now because I have an MSpaint comic

You're pathetic gothicfag. Kill yourself

Dudes please don't give me shit but really can't get into morrowind, gameplay feels extremely clunky, does it improve over time? Is there any mod to make it bearable? I'm loving the artstyle and dialogues though

Michael Kirkbride, the guy that did a lot of the concept art and writing for Morrowind, straight up admitted that Glorantha was huge influence on the lore. Google it.

>RPG's were hit the absolute hardest by streamlining and casualization, the massive amount of content and freedom they offer couldn't keep up with the rising cost of game development. The demand for voice acting, high detail graphics, real-time action combat etc etc; all these things killed RPG's because it forced devs to put more time and resources into each individual aspect. Suddenly you couldn't have as much dialogue, enemies, weapons, choices; since they took so much longer to make.

Is this pasta? I could've sworn I read it months ago.

>generic Nordic armor

>go to tower next to caius guy
>get sword off top of book case
>rape everything for next 10+ hours

Nigga, stop bitching. You'll get used to it. There's always a shock when you go back to older games until you get acclimated.

>make thread with heavily controversial opinion
>people don't agree with you
>waahhhh samefag
You are actually underage.

I can BTFO every single argument you morrowfags stated in this thread to defend your shittgame, but you'll insist on defending it because you're all deluded cucks.

>and dialogues though
That's easily one of the weaker aspects of Morrowind though.

New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity, Dark Messiah, the new Deus Ex titles, and even though Roguelikes aren't technically cRPG's I think Caves of Qud deserves an honorable mention.

Absolutely, but you can't really pinpoint Morrowind to being overtly derivative or cooky cutter bland the way most RPGs are. Actual effort was put into its setting.

>I am silly.
I do agree that the world felt dead. If there's something Bethesda did half right in 3, it's random encounters. A shame most of them were raiders.

If the primary reason that RPGs don't have depth anymore is a demand for graphics, can't a studio just stylize some low poly models and 720p textures to not look like total shit and make up for it entirely mechanically?

Is the market really so watered down that including depth scares developers?

One of the saddest things is that to your average Fallout 3 fan none of the improvements New Vegas really mattered because things like better writing, coherency, etc are simply backseat stuff they forget about altogether when given the chance to just fuck around in the world. I'm not saying either is correct or wrong, but it's a case of additions and enhancements simply flying over the new audience's head.

>What is DorfFort

When I was a kid I drew comics that had a whole lot of text and one of my classmates told me that nobody wanted to read comics that just had huge boxes of dialogue. Comics like this remind me how right he was. Your NV rant is not fitting for a comic format.

>Is the market really so watered down that including depth scares developers?

Not really, just look at the new CRPG revival wave. What you really mean is "are publishers afraid of not reaching that 5 million sales figures?" in which case the answer is yes. That core RPG audience was always there and never went away, they're just a relatively tiny minority compared to the potential mainstream audience everyone wants.

>caring this much about a game you don't like

No, YOU are deluded. Kill yourself already gothicfag.

>you can't really pinpoint Morrowind to being overtly derivative or cooky cutter
It's just a mysterious swamp setting. Are you dumb?
>the way most RPGs are
99.9% of every creative medium is complete shit.

Too bad 90% of that artwork isn't actually in the game

You are not even trying anymore.

It's been more than two decades and still no RPG has managed to top this.

Why?

Being a concept artist for Bethesda must be suffering when you see what your artwork gets turned into.

>heavily controversial
lmao

Morrowind doesn't come close to Oblivion when it comes to quests.
Not to mention VTMB is a better RPG.

no dude, i'm playing recently a ton of NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube as i never had a Nintendo console before and mechanically wise these games haven't aged so i'm having a blast, but morrowind feels unplayable for some reason, hell i just finished pax mayne and deusex for the first time

i like them, atmosphere is great as well

Literally the only notable title in that list was Dark Messiah

So what you just don't like RPG's as a genre then?

go away spoony

Not him but you have really basic shit taste.

Trying harder than you're lazy crybaby shitposts.
>says something is the best
>expect everyone to blindly agree with you
?

New Vegas and Morrowind are the only good Gamebyro RPGs. The rest are mediocre at best

Can you expand on this?

>its an elderscrollsfag thinks his games aren't shit episode
>its a rerun