Just spent a bit of the last few days reading and watching shit Dark Souls related...

Just spent a bit of the last few days reading and watching shit Dark Souls related. I've never played any of the games but the lore just enraptures me, its the craziest, deepest shit I've ever witnessed and I don't know what the fuck is happening at all in these games.

Iunno, just talk about Dark Souls thread. Why does everyone sound so fucking miserable and grave in these games? Every line of dialogue I hear is just so morbid.

cause the world of dark souls is the most depressing place imaginable. there's literally no hope for anybody.

>I've never played any of the games but the lore just enraptures me
I'm not sure I agree with your approach to video games.

But even in just their normal talking voice, like when they say things like Greetings Ashen One, it sounds so tragic.

I'd play it if I had a PS4.

>Why does everyone sound so fucking miserable and grave in these games? Every line of dialogue I hear is just so morbid.
Because every game you play in takes place at the tail end of a cycle or as the world is ending? The last DLC for DaS3 literally has a dimensional big crunch occurring and the setting is closing in on itself.

Oh, in lieu of playing PS4 exclusives, I just watch the movie versions of them on youtube like the Uncharted 4 movie. That's dedication to gaming my man.

what does it taste like?

citrus gold and flames

warm sunny d

Gwyn's jizz

99% alcohol throat burn

The basic idea is that the world goes through cycles of light ages and dark ages. Gods were creatures of the light and Men were creatures of the dark. Except the Gods completely subverted the Men and made them forget their powers, and tried to extend their rule indefinitely. You basically only ever play in the hellish, apocalyptic parts of the universe where everyone is undead and most are hollow.

How about you, y'know, play the games
Instead of ruining them for yourself

I get the basic concept, but its all the little story elements that are so mindblowing to me. Like the painted world, painting a world with blood that eventually rots, the church lady that doesn't want to burn the painting and let it rot, and the weird tentacle mustache god creature that leads it. Its all just so crazy. And Bloodborne seems even more nutty.

There's more than one way to enjoy games ya dingus.

>Instead of ruining them for yourself
Looking up the lore for these games doesn't ruin them at all.

Fire. I mean its literally fire

Correct. The etymology of estus is likely from the latin aestus, 2 possible meanings being heat or fire.

All the dark souls "lore" people talk about is fanwank.

This is like reading a bunch of analyses on a book but not the book itself. You're sick, OP.

Like a breeze of hot air. A bit like putting a hairdryer in your mouth I guess

Orange juice

try understand bloodborne it makes you mad.

I don't even know if the events of the game actually happened or if it was really all a dream. I don't understand why you're the only one in the hunters dream when there are so many hunters. Heck I don't even understand why the Moon Presence wants to keep the dream going.

Also, that fucking doll breaks my heart for some reason. Same with the firekeeper too.

Salty milk and coins

BB's plot is just nonsense. There is not understanding it, there's just people who pretend to understand it to fit in.

>its the craziest, deepest shit I've ever witnessed

its pretty much same as dark souls, every player got their own dream and alternative timeline/reality but sometimes worlds collide.

OK whats a game with cooler, deeper lore?

bloodborne sometimes goes even deeper, fucking rocks and flowers got their own lore.

Well I mean, quantity doesn't necessarily mean depth to me. Like I really, really like the background that they give just random side characters, like the story between Grey Rat and Patches, its cool that things aren't spelled out and you have to read between the lines to understand their motivations.

PCfag here, there are a dozen things I hate about BB, but its lore and storyline are one of the best things about it.

>men attempt to rise to the level of ancient eldritch gods
>one believes in injecting their blood while the other believes in harnessing their insight
>whole bunch of shit happens
>hunters are not allowed to die and resurrect to an alternate dimension where they're recycled to achieve one of the eldritch gods' goals while being lead by a tragic puppet who happens to be the first hunter
>ending 1 is you allow yourself to die in the dream after fulfilling your goal while gehrman stays behind, you wake up after the night of the hunt having forgotten all about it, but your blood is still infected and it's only a matter of time before you become the hunted
>ending 2 is you refuse gehrman's offer and he forcefully attempts to kill you out of the dimension. you defeat him and the great one makes you its new puppet
>ending 3 is you've consumed enough great one umbilical cords that your insight is through the roof and you've begun your transition into a great one yourself. the moon presence now sees you as its enemy and attempts to kill you

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

>hunters are not allowed to die and resurrect to an alternate dimension
This is inferred but never said anywhere so far as I know.
>where they're recycled to achieve one of the eldritch gods' goals
What goal?
>lead by a tragic puppet who happens to be the first hunter
Gehrman leads the hunters in an alternate nightmare dimension? What?

Too much of BB is just random events slapped together with some overtly Lovecraft themes. It's a tangled mess of backstory that barely forms cohesion, let alone a definitive plot.