Should eSports players be considered athletes?

Whats the consensus Sup Forums? Should pro eSports players be considered athletes?
Strawpoll: strawpoll.me/14989513

Kek, hell no. All they do is sit on their fat autistic asses and push buttons

No, and I don't know why they don't have their own word yet

eSports "athletes" can't compare to real athletes.

shouldn't even be considered "sports" just fat shits clicking buttons all day

Thanks for the replys/votes so far anons. I've heard it argued that since agility is considered an athletic trait, pro gamers should be considered athletes because of the dexterity required to play at pro levels. I personally wouldn't describe anyone who spends most of their time playing vidya as "athletic." What do you guys think about the fact that the U.S. government started to consider eSports players as athletes?

>People out of shape
>Considered athletes

If only at special olympics.

This is retarded but i will give the poll my “no”

eSports arent a sport.

What retard called competitive gaming esports?

Who cares either way? It's semantical, pointless nonsense that only idiots who like politics would care about.

It's a disappointingly common phrase. It's retarded but it gets the point across quickly.

The US government is only considering them athletes so they can get an athlete visa, which I agree with

It's not a sport so they're not athletes

Thread should've ended right here

Not really a valid point, professional gamers are more impressive than professional athletes, even if they are fat and/or autistic. Mainly because they're smarter, and intelligence is always more impressive/admirable than athletic feats.

Only retards think it is

A lot of them are actually /fit/. Plus 95% of asain players are skin and bones.

>Not really a valid point
Yet a fact

All the people voting yes in the strawpoll, yet is the only post that can be seen as an argument for "yes." I'd like to see a response from someone who voted "yes," what's your argument?

I hope to g*d this is a troll post

Not at all, most athletes are dumb as fuck.

Same could be said about esports players

People are just going to ignore this fat old athlete? If darts is considered a sport, why shouldn't competitive video games be?

Hey, leave that goalpost alone!

>Darts

The majority of pro gamers are either skinny or fit, you can't have fast reaction times if you eat garbage

I wouldn't call them athletes though and I think "eSports" is a retarded term

Athlete literally comes from athleticism which none of them have. Chess players arent athletes they're pro chess players. Poker/Blackjack fags arent athletes they are pro card players

What's wrong with the term "esport" other than that pseud neckbeards pretend to hate it to seem cool and aloof?

Not an apt comparison, considering hand eye coordination and reflexes play a significant role in esports, and play no role at all in card playing or chess.

I just think it sounds like people desperately trying to prove the legitimacy of pro gaming. "Pro gaming" and "video game tournaments" are much better terms, since there's no reason pro sports and pro video games need to compete with each other.

>considering hand eye coordination

This was cool as that Invader Zim joke but nothing more serious than that.

no clue man.

Nah, it's just an easy term to refer to competitive gaming. There's no reason to pick your favored words over "esports."

Are you denying the role of hand-eye coordination in gaming? Granted, it varies from game to game, but in something like FPS, hand-eye coordination is extremely influential.

Pretentious autistic kids wanting their hobby taken seriously when it is not conceived for their particular choice and forcing it.

Not to an extreme extent.

>Not to an extreme extent.
Accurately and quickly moving a mouse cursor to a position determined by the eye is determined by hand-eye coordination. What's your agenda behind denying this objective fact anyway? It's weird.

lol no

What about Bowling?

I hardly think that could be a physical feature honestly and something that could be improved by training.

You can improve by training, what's the relevance of that?

Not really, there's inherent talent in people as well a limit.

I see what you mean but I feel like people get the wrong idea when they hear the word "esports".

>when it is not conceived for their particular choice
???

Videogames aren't made for the sole purpose of competition y'know

>Asking Sup Forums any sort of question that requires a modicum of thought

I know that, it doesn't mean they can't be competitive at all

I agree, yet saying "e-sport" like a legit sport defeats and undermines that purpose by taking it to unhealthy levels.

Football isn't made for the sole purpose of competition y'know

I play video games all day , I tell people I'm an athlete , it's true.

Sup Forums here, hell the fuck no

I agree that the term "eSports" is bad, I think they should just be called video game tournaments

In a world without people like you, professional athletes would be making minimum wage, not have millions of dollars. Your opinions don't matter.

>No more overpriced athletes
Athletes are the modern prostitutes

My opinions mean more than your opinions!

Calling them something like esports gives them more legitimacy which leads to more viewers, sponsorships, and so on. A "video game tournament" is what you host for your university club, not a professional event where the winners receive a prize pool of millions of dollars.

Why not? It's not like it's hurting the feelings of anyone.

It's obviously hurting the feelings of people complaining about it

>Implying e-"sports" aren't glorified as fuck.
Don't let the footage from a shilled event pay by riot featuring Korean shills deceive you, they're the embodiment of a vocal minorty.

There was a Counterstrike major final a few days ago that had one million concurrent viewers on twitch

only if chess/go players are too

I repeat; Don't let the footage from a shilled event deceives you.

You know exactly that aislated cases happens, yet they're not the trend.

chess and cards don't require physical talent, video games do. do chess and card players retire before 30 due to decreased reaction times?

>chess and cards don't require physical talent
>video games do

Hand-eye coordination and reflexes. Are you mentally retarded or just pretending?

>Hand-eye coordination & reflexes.
>Physical
I think you're legit millenial. at least Chess requires some thought, if you're going as far as claim it is a sport.

They are physical, this isn't a matter of opinion. Video games have an even lower retirement age than professional sports do, due to minor degradation in reflexes.
>Chess requires some thought
Are you implying video games don't require thought? They are often similar to chess in terms of making strategic movements across a playing area.

No more than bowlers or nascar weenies.

Well, considering my reflexes catching things before falling means that I could force my way through as an athlete in a real sport like catchiing stuff. Thanks for the info.

Saved, holy fuck
>smarter than then average man because i play vidja

Nice reading comprehension genius

Truly an athlete, godspeed user