I love stealth games...

I love stealth games, they are pretty much just fancy puzzle games that focus on pattern memorization and spatial awareness. There aren't a lot of them though, as its a pretty niche genre so:

What are some stealth games you guys like? I liked the MGS, tenchu and splinter cell games. I have yet to play the styx games yet so if any of you have played it please tell me what you think.

What do you think of isometric stealth games? Pic related is the only one I've played (not sure if its the only one period) and I loved it. The enemy placement, the variety of tools of which NONE are useless, and the sync action was amazing. The story and setting is just the icing on the cake.

Metal Gear 2, Ghost Babel, and MGS2 are my favorite Metal Gear games. Chaos Theory is pretty good, I really liked Mark of the Ninja.

I like a lot of stealth games, overall. I need to get back to the first Thief and I'm currently working through the first Dishonored as well.

>mgees
>stealth

ishygddt

>What do you think of isometric stealth games? Pic related is the only one I've played (not sure if its the only one period) and I loved it. The enemy placement, the variety of tools of which NONE are useless, and the sync action was amazing. The story and setting is just the icing on the cake.

I never really saw Commandos-like games as stealth titles. Kinda like the Hitman series they're action puzzles to solve where stealth is just one of the tools. Also, go play Commandos games if you haven't already. Top.

>I love stealth games, they are pretty much just fancy puzzle games that focus on pattern memorization and spatial awareness.
I don't know if you can call Alien Isolation a stealth game but it doesn't have movement patters for the alien and it's not always a good thing. It's often frustrating when you can't progress because you can't find an opening in it's movement route, so you yolo it and fast walk to the objective hoping for the better outcome and half of the time you run into alien.

I think I messed up dishonored for myself. I was told its infinitely more fun to go balls to the wall lethal and that got boring after a couple of levels, would it be worth it to reinstall and go stealthy?

Also I was a little apprehensive about mark of the ninja, a 2d side scroller stealth game? Does the stealth actually work well? Do you actually feel tension and have to plan in advance like most other stealth games?

In the same genre, you have the Commandos series. Pretty good, if dated.
Thief is the seminal game in the genre, but only the first two are must play. Deadly shadows is meh. There is not Thi4f.

Styx is pretty good, but with old school platforming so it takes a little practice. The sequel I have not fully played yet but apparently they went a little overboard with Styx's personality. He always was an asshole, but it got possibly obnoxious.

Dishonored is better played twice. Once all out, once stealth like. Any order is fine, but the level design is best enjoyed in a stealth fashion, with no powers.

I can't say I play all that many stealth games, but I really like the arcadey fast paced ones. I absolutely love it a game lets me run at full speed behind someone before knocking them out. I dislike games with restrictive movement, especially games heavy on context-sensitive stuff that feels stiff.
Faves: Dishonored, Team Fortress 2.

holy hell, I don't know why I've never heard of these games. I just looked at a picture on google and it literally looks like shadow tactics but with guns. Thats pretty neat.

Seven: The Days Long Gone. Weird recent isometric RPG with clear focus on stealth.

>Does the stealth actually work well? Do you actually feel tension and have to plan in advance like most other stealth games?
Yes.
They are. They're arcadey and have a different sense of pacing, but they aren't any less realistic than the "I'm in the shadows so I'm invisible" gameplay of Thief or Splinter Cell. I've played them all, and I don't understand the elitism.

Granted, MGS1 and MGS4 don't focus on stealth all that much.

God tier game.
Just play the Commando games.

Because there's less than ten games that would fall under the same sub-genre or whatever you want to call it, and that's counting mediocre ones like that Star Trek: Away Team or Chicago 1930.

mgs is the touhou 8 of stealth games m8, ez/10

Stealthy Dishonored is so much better. I can't even fathom what kind of an idiot would go balls to the wall lethal on their first playthrough. Also, remember to disable hints and markers, the game fucking sucks with them on.

>Also I was a little apprehensive about mark of the ninja, a 2d side scroller stealth game? Does the stealth actually work well? Do you actually feel tension and have to plan in advance like most other stealth games?

Yes. There's even DLC that specifically focuses on non-violent approach. Game is kinda simple, though.

MGS4 pretty much requires stealth if you play it on extreme.

How is that game though? There are a lot of promises, but does it hold up?

Maybe. That doesn't make them lesser games though, and there's plenty of challenge to be found on the higher difficulties and in things like the VR missions.

I got recommended this on steam but again I was reluctant to get it. If you have it, what are your thoughts on it?

MGS1 and MGS2 play pretty much identically, in the sense that the camera is the same and they both don't have a move silently feature, so you run around all day and nobody can hear. I wouldn't consider this an aspect that makes them not focus on stealth though, more like, they haven't different parameters from normal stealth games.

It's good, but I can't really make you a sell because it's pretty niche. There's a demo on Steam so check it out.

If you haven't done all the badges in Shadow Tactics, I heavily recommend that you do because you'll get some of the best stealth experience that way.

Well sure, but it follows MGS1's model of being a cornucopia of boss fights and action sequences.

You misunderstand me. MGS1's stealth is mostly great. It just doesn't have much of it.

>That doesn't make them lesser games though

When you look at them purely as stealth games and compare them with other ones it does.
I played both thief and mgs and i enjoyed both equally. Still mgs does not hold a candle to thief when it comes to the stealth aspect.

Its just what everyone recommended me, they said you get much better powers if you decide to go lethal and all that. All that ended up happening was the game became way too easy and the powers were pretty ass.

oh alright, I didn't even know there was a demo and I was just on the steam page.

I haven't even beaten the game yet mate, I've got a quicksave on shuyo castle. The last few levels have absolutely kicked my fucking ass to hell and back. I'm not even sure how I'm gonna get all those. You're a demigod mate.

Fair enough, but at least there's the Crying Wolf boss fight which you can stealth through.

When you consider just how much content is in the VR missions (even excluding the action or weapons based ones) no it doesn't. And even a game like MGS3 -- which doesn't have that asset --makes up for it elsewhere.

In any case, I've never found most other popular stealth games considerably harder than Metal Gear anyway.

Yes MotN is great. It also has a variety of weapons and costumes that affect your gameplay. You can go full nonlethal stealth, bloodthirsty oni, or anywhere in between. It has a shadow system and a fun fear mechanic where the guards can get scared shitless and it affects their patrols, their reactions, etc. You might not see this mechanic that much though if you're going full stealth, because the guards get scared by strung up corpses, etc. There are also darts and other weapons that cause panic.

Shadow Tactics was my GOTY, bought it immediately when I saw a thread on Sup Forums about it on day one because it got zero advertising and it even had a demo. Be sure to get the OST if you liked it. I wouldn't recommend the "artbook", though, it's like 10 pages of art and then the rest is a walkthrough. The artist posted the PSDs for the art on Steam, so you can also grab that.

>stealth game thread
>no deus ex
You all had one job.

Stealthy Dishonored is just way duller Thief, though. Game takes all the fun toys away if you go stealth not to mention Blink just simplifies everything too much.

Deus Ex is a great RPG but a terrible stealth game, dumb Sup Forumsbaby.

>Game takes all the fun toys away if you go stealth
Stealth != Nonlethal

>Game takes all the fun toys away
It doesn't though.

I don't consider Deus Ex a stealth game. It's an action RPG with stealth as a viable option.

Awesome, Yeah I love the game. I hadn't ever heard of the commando games either so I thought it was a fairly new, exciting take on stealth games. ---SPOILER--how did you feel about mugen's death? I honestly didn't think it was going to happen. During the cutscene I thought yuki was going to convince him not to go through with it and when the widescreen effect cleared up, I waited for quite a bit before clicking. They had a lot of balls to actually go through with him doing that, bravo on the devs.

I haven't played Shadow Tactics but Satellite Reign might be in the realm of what you're looking for

Death to spies

There isn't much fun in going full lethal though considering enemies are too sparsely placed. Blink in general makes the game really easy.

I've beaten both Styx games.

Styx 1:
>fairly buggy, levels are more linear and some later levels are just the older levels but backwards
>plot and settings were pretty neat though
>writing was okay for the most part
>skill tree, you get points for optional objectives, non-lethal, time trial, etc. and you buy new abilities
>kinda janky
>the final boss SUCKS ASS and is completely broken if you go into it without enough items or Amber (stuff for doing abilities), people complained on the forum about this, it's literally unbeatable if you aren't prepared for it, it's a boss fight to a game about stealth that does not utilize stealth at all
>you get to stab elves

Styx 2:
>much smoother gameplay since it's on a better engine
>wide open levels for the most part
>plot was better in some ways
>better enemies, more variety and optional objectives
>Styx's writing and "humor" was worse, though, he goes full fourth-wall when you die and makes cringe-worthy jokes
>has this one boss fight that kinda sucks if you aren't good at stealth or don't have enough upgrades
>you get to stab elves

tl;dr play Styx 2, Styx 1 had some good ideas but aged terribly

Complete opposite for me.
Stealthy pacifist dishonored was boring as shit and barely even felt like a game. Just a slow exercise in trial and error.
Just playing though it doing whatever I felt in the moment felt more natural and was actually fun.

Satellite Reign looks cool but the objectives for every level are the fucking same. I found myself basically checking off a list for the first couple levels, realizing what I was doing, and uninstalled.

I couldn't believe it either, sad. He was also an invaluable asset in casual playthroughs with his ability to carry two dude and run, not having him makes the rest of the game much harder.

Styx will never win any awards because it's still janky and not popular enough, but goddamn if they make a third one it could be my personal GOTY.

I hope they do, since Styx 2 ended on a cliffhanger.

Pretty much just means that you have no imagination when it comes to playing Dishonored.

No one said anything about playing the game pacifist. Silent assassin is the best way to play.

What I really loved was that they didn't replace him with a similar character with the same moveset. He was invaluable in taking out 3-man patrols and especially samurai, him dying really fucks you on those and you end up missing him not just on a plot level but on a gameplay one too. What a really risky move the devs did.

Thanks for the recommendation mate. Fuck elves, you're doing god's work.

The sly cooper games are good

Not really stealth games though.

Has anyone played aragami? I'm not too big on the art direction and that it seems like the game relies heavily on color and light contrast to steer you towards goals and/or items of significance.

Eh, the game is way too shallow mechanically.