Weird as it sounds, since it came out about a year ago, I'm not sure if this game has aged very well...

Weird as it sounds, since it came out about a year ago, I'm not sure if this game has aged very well. At release it felt so expansive and the movement so revolutionary. But now the movement has gotten kind of old and the world feels rather sterile and lacking in depth or mystery. Not even a year old but in some ways it already feels outdated. I beat it once and hardly ever think about it anymore; most other open world games stuck with me for longer.

why did i even buy my switch

>Sup Forums will never not be BTFO by BoTW

>it's another 'a bunch of Sup Forums contrarians try call a critically acclaimed game they haven't played mediocore because it pushes their console war narrative' episode

i SWITCHED to bloodborne

I'm playing it for the first time right now and you are full of shit. I've never had so much fun playing a game before.

Just bought a Switch the other day and am playing through it now, who defended these Ubisoft towers?

Kek

just play the game

Photo and timestamp. Right fucking now.

These are nothing like the Ubisoft towers, of you played the game you should know it.

I've been thinking the same thing, people keep saying "just buy more games" but I'd rather not bloat my system space with a bunch of indies

nah I'm just kidding, I love my switch

Zelda games suffer from a Honeymoon Phase Syndrome. Its been this way since TP; hell, maybe even WW.

Everyone blindly falls for the hype thanks to the ridiculous 5+ year game dev cycles, only to realize that the game is disappointing, mediocre or just outright shit some 4-12 months later after its release.

I started playing it for the first time a week ago and it's okay. Better than Skyward Sword in most ways, and I appreciate it not being a rehash like Twilight Princess. It's a shallow game though. Puzzles feel disconnected from everything else, you have to force yourself to have fun expereinces rather than climb and gliding past everything, and combat is simpler than Windwaker.

you just started playing it though so your opinion is meaningless

I'm just shitposting I'm actually having fun

I'm still playing this one year later and just yesterday I found a stable that I've literally never been to before. I'm still enjoying the exploration even if some of the things I'm finding are simple variations of Korok puzzles, still loving the experimentation with combat, still finding new things to do in general. Hell, even a lot of the sidequests aren't nearly as bad as people have been saying since a lot of them involve combat, stealth, navigation or some other mechanic like horse taming.

I've been playing Zelda games since the NES, and whenever I go back to most of the previous games I feel limited and constricted. So no, I don't feel like BotW aged badly at all.

I felt it about 35 hours in

Its bland and unmemorable as fuck

Weird as it sounds, since it came out about a year ago, I'm not sure if this game has aged very well. At release it felt so expansive and the movement so revolutionary. But now the movement has gotten kind of old and the world feels rather sterile and lacking in depth or mystery. Not even a year old but in some ways it already feels outdated. I beat it once and hardly ever think about it anymore; most other open world games stuck with me for longer.
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:39:52 No.405550213▶ why did i even buy my switch
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:40:20 No.405550260▶
(OP)
>Sup Forums will never not be BTFO by BoTW
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:41:05 No.405550325▶
File: 47847848.jpg (20 KB, 306x306)
20 KB
>it's another 'a bunch of Sup Forums contrarians try call a critically acclaimed game they haven't played mediocore because it pushes their console war narrative' episode
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:41:24 No.405550347▶i SWITCHED to bloodborne
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:41:29 No.405550359▶
(OP)
I'm playing it for the first time right now and you are full of shit. I've never had so much fun playing a game before.
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:42:15 No.405550430▶ Just bought a Switch the other day and am playing through it now, who defended these Ubisoft towers?
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:42:50 No.405550479▶
File: 1506774688282.png (56 KB, 633x874)
56 KB
Kek
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:42:52 No.405550481▶
just play the game
>>
Anonymous 02/02/18(Fri)16:43:03 No.405550497▶ (OP)
Photo and timestamp. Right fucking now.

haha all me btw

Can I do anything about the fps drops in docked mode? Or do I have to suck it up and play handheld

Did you mean that the other way around? If so yes. The switch can afford to be overclocked when it's docked.

In fact it is superior in every way for gaming while docked. The only reason to play it handheld is if you value portability.

It drops in only a few specific places

You can't please nostalgia fags. If you try new things they complain that it's too different. If you do the same thing they complain that it's just the same game. If you remake and update the games they like they whine about all the changes

I just replayed it for the first time since binging it at release and I was legitimately considering completing all the shrines as an excuse to ride the bike more.

I feel the same way. I hate the shrines systems mainly because I suck at puzzles and while the open world is beautiful, I just wander aimlessly and climb shit only to realize I don't have enough stamina to climb said mountain, which in turn means I need to do four more shrines to get more stamina -__- The weapon breaking system also sucks big time.

>after exploring in an exploration game it no longer feels as mysterious

brilliant discovery chief

>Weird as it sounds
Yeah it does sound weird.

Personally, I think Breath Of The Wild is one of the best games of all time. So do most other people. Thats how it is.

NOOOOOOOO THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

>world doesn't feel exciting or mysterious anymore after you explore it all

Gee, you don't say!

>most other open world games stuck with me for longer

Which ones?

Will Sup Forums ever get over the ass sting?

Considering that the GDC Awards are coming next month I suspect not. Which game do you think rival developers will shower with awards? Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Horizon Hot Wheels

There ya go. I just finished the tutorial, how come the moment when you have to check where the shrines directions connect, you realize it's the temple of time and you mark it in the map is so fucking satisfying? Fuck this game is unbelievable.

Why the fuck do people always require "proof" if someone doesn't like the game?

I own the game. I honestly didn't like it much at all. Yes, it is indeed possible to play the game and dislike it.

>people talking about Botw
>HURR BUTTHURT!! SEETHING!! WILL PEOPLE EVER GET OVER THIS!!

you people are more annoying than anyone else. people dont post like this in other threads.

uh huh

Absolutely S E E T H I N G

sell it

Thats cool bro. You don't have to like everything. But you might have to admit that you're in a tiny minority and your opinion doesn't make everyone else wrong. Is that something you can accept?

butthurt

>game has aged very well
What?

I never said it made others wrong, I am just expressing how I feel, and I think its stupid people expect you to provide proof of ownership if you have a different opinion of the game than the majority

BOTW is
>one of the best games of 2017
>one of the best open world games
BOTW is not
>perfect
>the best open world game
>the best zelda ame ever
personally i enjoyed it's emphasis on exploration. as ridiculous as the spiderman climbing is, it gives you a sense of freedom i've never quite felt before. i hope that, if they want to make a follow up in the same vein, they fix some of the more glaring downsides, like the dungeons, the weird geography (no caves) and the enemy variety.

id be hard pressed to find a better open world game to be honest, aside form Horizon3

Sup Forums is populated by false flaggers. If you're going to start a potentially volatile thread then its always best to timestamp up front because people will always assume you're a shit poster trying to start trouble. You can blame the fact that Sup Forums is populated mostly by 14 year old console warriors.

I honestly do not think that BotW is one of the best open world games. I think it makes a good argument that open world games should have more visceral mechanics, but I don't think the game itself is terribly interesting. I am looking forward to Red Dead 2 for instance and I think that's game's likely focus on a more curated atmosphere will be a relief.

Does BotW feel revolutionary? Absolutely. But to me it felt like a starting point and not a full fledged game that I can really enjoy.

I'm playing it right now for the first time, around 35 hours in.
It's way too much free space. I got used to it by now and started to enjoy just running and finding new places, but I miss the sense of progression from the regular series.
I've done a bunch of shrines and yet I don't feel ready for a dungeon.

>how come the moment when you have to check where the shrines directions connect, you realize it's the temple of time and you mark it in the map is so fucking satisfying?

This, among other things, is why the great palteua is the best part of the game and nothing else even comes close except for eventide.

What's the best open world game?

I seriously cannot care for RDR after playing BotW.

Dude, next time don't do it.
It's not like the MH threads.

The fun part is that if it gets snubbed at GDC awards, it'll confirm the anti-Nintendo bias that they have.

Either way video game journalism is absolute garbage

thats fine. the biggest point of criticism with the game is that it definetely falls off. having all of the shrines look the same kinda makes you feel you are in the same place all the time. i'm curious though, what makes you look forward to RDR2?

DELETE THIS

BotW is a 9/10 game.

If they put in big,themed dungeons in the sequel, that sequel would be a 10/10.

Ironically I think that this is true; as brilliant as the game is as a "wander anywhere, do anything, play how you want" experience, those first few hours of more structured experience are by far the best part of the game.

Other more structured areas, like Eventide and Hyrule Castle, also confirm this.

I think if the general overworld was freeroam, but the individual Divine Beast areas (Zora's Domain, Death Mountain, Gerudo Desert, whatever the Rito area is) played out more like an enclosed, structured experience like the Great Plateau, then BotW would have been absolutely perfect.

It just gives me incredible hope and optimism for the next game, really. Take BotW, add in a few more Great Plateaus, a few more Hyrule Castles, and give it real boss variety, and boom - you've created what would probably be, indisputably, the best game of all time.

BOTW is 7/10 at best. The exploration is nice but it has the depth of a puddle and only gets bonus points for the mechanics sometimes interacting in cool ways.

Played like 40 hours with a friend. Didn't find the exploration rewarding in the slightest. 10 hours in I realized most exploration would lead to shrines, korok seeds, chests with garbage in them or bokoblin camps.

It doesn't feel outdated at all. I do find it somewhat boring if I put too much time into it in one sitting, though. I haven't even completed it yet despite having gotten it two months ago for this reason.

It's a cool game but not Zelda's savior. I wouldn't even put it in my top five for the series.

>BOTW is
>>one of the best games of 2017
>>one of the best open world games

But it's neither of those.

>BoTW threads evolve into people happily discussing the game
Sup Forums lied to me.

How do I get into this game. Shrines and koroks are boring and the story is nonexistent.

>Playing on a Wii U

Your opinion is worthless.

Experiment with the physics.

What the fuck are you talking about? Death Mountain, the Rito area and ESPECIALLY Zora's Domain are enclosed and structured. Sure you can climb-cheese over it all, but the level design of most of the map is still dense as hell and the structured pathways are where most of the content lies.

you already know the answer

Didnt have a switch until recently fampai, and im not some cuck that buys games twice.

>fagsots

Learn english faggot

This happens with every open world game, and other genres. At first it looks overwhelmingly large but eventually you know every spot like the back of your hand so it seems small.

>It's way too much free space

What do you mean? There actually aren't many areas in the game that are just open fields, a lot of it is pretty enclosed. You probably just have that impression because you can climb and glide over most of it.

He already admitted he was shitposting.

where can I find the guy that gives you hints about the lost memories? Does he just keep moving around?

>At first it looks overwhelmingly large but eventually you know every spot like the back of your hand so it seems small.

I think this really nails down why so many people shitpost about BotW. Most of them are judging it from the perspective of someone who cleared out most of the content of the map and they probably don't even remember a lot of the best parts either.

I'm glad I wasn't crazy for being underwhelmed as fuck when I popped BotW into my brand new Switch past midnight at launch. Give me a new OoT clone along the lines of WW or TP any day. Sure, the formula is stale, but you're guaranteed a great adventure, even if you can't say your game is like Skyrim

>anti-Nintendo bias
>Nintendo is all over Gamasutra news, which is owned by the same parent company
>the Zelda talk last year exceeded max capacity and people were cheering when it ended
This is like saying Sup Forums is sonygaf

He's mainly at stables.

>This is like saying Sup Forums is nintendogaf
ftfy

>WW and TP
>great adventures

oh yeah there's the gratingly long tutorial segments, awful overworlds, and triforce shards / tears of light

G R E A T A D V E N T U R E S

That reminds me, I still need to finish TP.

Weird as it sounds, since it came out about a year ago, I can still sense the asshurt from a mile away.

I have truly been spoiled by BOTW, all other games(even games that aren't in the same genre) play as ashes in my mouth compared to the ambrosia that is BOTW. Its gotten so bad that games I once called my favourites I look at with digust and contempt. Every second I'm not playing as Link collecting loot or fighting to save the deep and richly engaging kingdom of Hyrule I'm in hell.

Skyward and BoTW are far better in regards to music and if you suggest otherwise, you are being willfully ignorant or are completely aesthetically challenged.

>Whatever man, just like lay off and let me have my opinion
You FUCKING FAGGOTS have gone on too long without being challenged on your like for this piece of shit game. You revel in this title's mediocrity like a badge of honour.

That's interesting because its the opposite for me. I love RDR so much and I feel like its great qualities really shine still today. Love those awesome maps, the awesome atmosphere, the hunting, the gambling games...

>do everything and explore everywhere
>WTF THERES NOWHERE TO GO ANYMORE THERES NO MYSTERY

Damn Einstein, you might be on to something.

BOTW is literally the best zelda game and one of the best open world games ever. The never ending asshurt of this game will echo through the ages.

I love RDR but BotW has almost everything you just listed. The atmosphere is there, the map is actually better because it's less empty with more intricate design and verticality, the hunting is there. I already think RDR was an improvement on the genre at the time but for me BotW was an evolution from that as well.

I absolutely love the game but after beating it realizing that 99 percent of the secrets you find are koroks or shrines discovering something just feels underwhelming. They could at least have placed some elaborate optional items like a hookshot somewhere or little themed dungeons.
One of the coolest places in the game is that little skeleton Island near the lost woods, but it has no payoff if you spend all night whaking skeletons there.

>i'm curious though, what makes you look forward to RDR2?

Well the original RDR is still one of my all time favorites. So what makes me look forward to it, is an extension of what I loved. The simple but satisfying gunplay mechanics, the dramatic, almost spiritual story, the really intense, interesting atmosphere and how most things in the world relate to it (bounty hunting, tavens). I also love the honor system and how most random events gave you a choice for honor.

I guess it's just the combination of everything, the music, the world, the look, the feeling of being on this wild west adventure with a dramatic story and, again, simply but satisfying controls with the guns and horses. Its the small things I like: being able to set up a campsite. Being able to sit down at other camps and listen to their stories, Completing the hunting challenges and hunting the legendary beasts.

Yeah it's complaining on a high level.
After 400 hours clocked into the game it kinda started to become a bit boring.

Eh, I feel like a hookshot kind of devalues the climbing aspect of the game.

>BOTW is literally the best zelda game
Not even in my top three. Maybe not even top five.

I do like it but it's not hard to believe other people wouldn't like it as much as some of the others.

When I mentioned the maps I meant the maps for the treasure hunting. Those were awesome. BotW didnt really have that, I mean I guess it had the capture memories but it wasnt really the same.

I also think the hunting isnt as satisfying. I mean in RDR, animals come out at different times (some even come out mostly at dawn or dusk). And merchants bought them for different prices and there felt much more incentive to hunt them all with the challenges. In BotW hunting is mostly useless expect for hunting the expensive meat in tabantha snowfield. It feels less like hunting and more like rupee farming.

try 25 hours

BotW is honestly one of the most front loaded games I've played. After you step off the great plateau, doesnt seem like much new actually happens because the gameplay loops are so similar

I used to have a really high opinion of RDR but I replayed it for the first time since 2010 recently and damn, it’s a pretty dull game.
>95% of missions are you going to talk to NPC then riding out of town at the slowest speed while they deliver exposition, shoot some thugs once you get to the spot, and then hoofing your way back to town only to repeat this process until it’s time to move on n with the plot
>random scenarios are entirely composed of helping an NPC being chased by an animal, a hooker that throws you off your horse (if you kill her before she does you lose respect but gain respect if you kill her after falling for it), a carriage ambush, or a bandit stealing an NPCs wagon
>hunting gets really boring and deadeye makes it way too easy for the harder targets like bears and cougars
>apart from the rare horses like Hungarian Halfbreed, the rest are interchangeable
>outfits are worth the trouble of getting map pieces
I couldn’t even finish the game on the replay, got to Blackwater before quitting out of boredom.

Use your fucking brain and think about what you're saying. As soon as you conceded that you can "climb-cheese" each of those areas, your point went out the window.

The Great Plateau is brilliant because everything is so intentional. Although it's totally non-linear after you awaken the Tower, everything else about it is a known quantity for the developer. They knew exactly how many hearts you'd have, how much stamina (ie. how far you can climb), and what resources were available to you (not just weapons and armor, but also ingredients). Given this knowledge, they laid out the whole plateau perfectly, knew more or less exactly which route you'd need to take between the Shrines (even though their order is left up to you), and modelled the entire Great Plateau as a test perfectly suited for your limited abilities and resources.

Every other area in the game lacks this no matter how hard Nintendo tried. Any structure the rest of the game might have had is voided by extra Stamina Wheels, by Revali's Gale, by Masks, by having high-tier weapons earlier than you "should" (ie. if you raid Hyrule Castle early), by having Fairies or powerful potions, etc.

Once the Great Plateau is done, never again were Nintendo able to craft an area knowing where you'd start, what resources you'd have available, and what path you'd need to take. And as well-made as the individual areas are (not the Rito area though, its ass), the fact that they fall apart the moment you approach it from an unexpected direction (ie. hitting Zora's Domain after already obtaining Revali's Gale) prevents them from reaching the heights of the Great Plateau, Eventide, and to a lesser extent Hyrule Castle.

Would be more interesting as an alternative to climbing than revali's gale

>What do you mean?
that it's too much space
you spend too much time running or climbing instead of doing something of substance
looking for korok seeds is also really annoying because the game is so damn huge
I think smaller spaces with more things in them are more interesting, instead of being so spread
I find the ruins very interesting but most of the time they have nothing but a rusty sword as your reward for beating the enemies in that area

Well you catch my drift. Something other than koroks or spirit orbs.