When was the last time you upgraded your computer Sup Forums?

When was the last time you upgraded your computer Sup Forums?

Last Christmas.

Replaced my ancient desktop ( core2duo + R7 260X) with a gaming laptop ( i5 + GTX 1050 TI ).

Last March when I built this for ~$850

>gaming laptop

Bait.

I have the parts. Just need to build it.

5 years ago

2009, send help.

>1360x768

a few months ago

Never.

I was using an old TV for a monitor at the time

Bought some components, didn't upgrade yet cuz lazy

>1360x768 60hz
lol

im STILL running:

GTX 460
4GB of ram
phenom black 980
and some shit mobo

im like 50 years behind in tech years

Last month.
Thankfully GPU prices aren't batshit in the UK so I got a 1080 for pretty much MSRP instead of double price like it is elsewhere.
RAM was still pretty pricy though, £145 for 16GB DDR4 3000MHz.
Didn't really have a choice because the GPU in my last PC was dying on its arse, but if I lived in the USA I think I'd feel quite fucked over by the crypto jews.

Honestly whats the real difference between SSD and HDD aside from loading time in games?

8 years ago
It's almost time to put her down

4gb
GT 430
Core i5 650

If you install your OS on it literally everything you do will be faster.

no mechanical/disk movement so they last longer.

You might see more pop in if the game is streaming from the hard drive and that's hardly an issue if you got a decent HD. Other then that just fast boot ups and fast downloads if you got the bandwidth.

>tfw invisible ram

ITT: Poverty

no reason to do so unless you have some pretty hefty games like PUBG, ARK, or STALKER

Last year maybe. I got. 980 due to a shipping issue instead of my ordered 256 GiB SSD. Not too bummed as the SSD was on sale for like a hundred bucks.

>was going to wait to buy a GTX1080
>wanted one to game with better graphics, and I also do image editing and CAD for work
>prices kept going up and up
>can't stop seeing BITCOINZ LMAO XD threads on every tech related board of Sup Forums
>since last I saw, the price of a 1080 has doubled to a whopping $1200
Why the fuck do these stupid miners even bother anymore. I can't wait for this dumb get-rich-quick scheme to crumble into itself and they're all left penniless and shattered

Built in 2013, picked up the 120Hz monitor a year later when I realized most of my games were running at way over 60fps. Still runs new games just fine. The 3TB hard disk was the last thing I added.

People say "just loading times" like loading times aren't the most annoying thing about PCs these days.
You notice when people complain about crappy laptops they always say first "Oh it's just running slowly, but once it gets going it's okay", literally every single time these laptops are slow because they have a shitty OEM 5400rpm drive that loads sparse data at literally

>I can't wait for this dumb get-rich-quick scheme to crumble into itself and they're all left penniless and shattered
It pretty much already has. Bitcoin is only profitable on ASICs (dedicated mining hardware that can't do anything else), so GPU miners are left stocking up on """alt""" coins and praying one of them catches on like bitcoin.

Last year. I installed more RAM and another hard drive. I want to do a GPU upgrade, but I'll wait until prices drop.

Didn't ethereum already do that? Ballooned a crazy amount in a real short period

When are you planning on getting a new CPU/computer?
I'm in a similar boat (2012), and at this rate I think I'll make it a decade without having to upgrade anything other than GPU.
Which is kind of a bummer, actually. That's a long time to not build a PC.

October!

I got a new processor.

>3h wait in airport
>Whip out laptop
>Play CK2
>Board flight
>Spend 12h playing dwarf fortress and RTS games
They're great if you live around a lot or travel for work. Also piss easy to go to friend's places for lan parties.

yeah but it's like "oh, I loaded it in 5 seconds instead of 15 seconds" for most things, which is bearable for most people
whereas with shit like games, OS startup, or other heavy programs like photoshop and shit you can say "oh, it loaded in 10 seconds instead of a minute" which is really impressive

I had this lovely thing written out about maybe finding a UK store that can ship overseas, as barely a month ago I got a 1080 for £450, literally less than the UK MSRP at launch.
I just looked again at the exact same order page on Amazon, that card is now £730, and out of stock.
Fuck miners man.

My boy, which model did you pick up? My inspiron 7577 comes in a few days, gonna be my first time having computer that can actually run games.

Faster OS and some games with long loading times like The Sims 3 really benefit from it too.

>SSD vs HDD
>Not having both

Early 2015 then sold my fx 8350+hd 7950 late that year

Fuck off retard, desktop counterparts are only marginally better than laptop nowadays. And no I don't care if it's a bit more expensive because I'm not a poorfag.

>desktop counterparts are only marginally better than laptop nowadays
What did he mean by this?

I find more and more that even low-end users (e.g the office workers I support who just faff around on email and excel all day) get really pissed off at their laptop performance even if it just the difference in 15 seconds vs 5 seconds.
I think it's because phones are absolutely ubiquitous and can quite easily do emails and Office web access, but because they use flash storage and are usually designed to run on crap hardware, they run far faster. They then go back and compare that performance unconsciously with their PC and get frustrated.

A lot of my company's customers have a blanket ban on new hardware coming with HDDs if they order from us, even the plebbiest "I switched the monitor off and on that's what you meant right?" users can't stand spinning rust drives anymore.

Last month

>When are you planning on getting a new CPU/computer?
When something comes along that I absolutely need to play right now. I mostly play old shit and indie shit though. The newest games I played on it were The Witness and Dark Souls 3, which both ran well despite being badly optimized.

>desktop counterparts are only marginally better than laptop nowadays
That's what Nvidia's marketing department want you to believe.

Bought a 1060 6GB for $250 today, feelsgoodman.

New or used? I'm kinda on the fence about the idea of buying a super cheap used card that was clearly used for mining. On one hand it might give up the ghost after a week, on the other hand it might last a year or so.

I don't really play any really highly demanding games right now but I have been wanting to pick up The Witcher 3 so I'd like to have a comp with the legs to do it justice. Last upgrade I did was getting a 970 after my 750ti crapped out on me. inb4
>3.5
I haven't had any issues with it and it does everything I want it to. Maybe I'll throw some of my tax returns into building a new beast.

built my current one in fall 2016.
>1070
>16 gb ram
>i5 6600k

the component im most concerned about going forward is the cpu. for right now it seems a 1070 is sufficient for 1080p games.

Very lightly used with receipt, it was local cash though.

not really true. I bought a lenovo gaming laptop when I first started college and while it was great for the year it was manufactured it couldnt handle anything beyond that. I got it in 2014, couldnt play fallout 4 above 30fps with drops.

>SSD IN 2018

my dude u are getting scammed get a M,2 disk its 10x faster and smaller thanSSD

Too long ago because of those asshole miners.

December 2016. Got a new mobo, a 6700k, a 1070, 16GB of DDR4, and a 3TB HD for my non-OS drive. Don't see needing to upgrade for a long time.

Recently. It was starting summer here in aus and I needed a new case and cooling setup badly, so I got a H100i V2 and slapped it in a 600c inverse.
Looking to upgrade the 770gtx soon but in no great rush, I only play at 1080p 60fps.
I can wait until the gpu market settles down, if it ever does

1070ti,i5 8400,500 gb ssd and 16 gb 2400 mhz ram pc goes for 1650 dollaros here
not a good outlook for me
i have to shell out 3000 k for a 4k machine

Upgraded my CPU maybe three months ago to i7 8700k from i5 6500 because it was bottle necking my 1080ti at 144hz.

Probably about 2 years ago i got a gtx 960 and a (if i remember right) 4690k processor, to be honest its still running games good so i probably wont upgrade for another couple years

what about sshd?
a viable stopgap or not

literally yesterday.

How big is the improvement from a HDD to a SDD? I want to get one just to put the OS, but does it make that of a difference in gaming?

games that needs to load fast will benefit from it
the only problem is knowing what games to put it on
sims 3 is one of those me thinks, and pubg

2014 is ages ago my dude, gaming laptops had just recently moved into non-meme tier in 2017

1050ti is the bare minimum gpu you should go for and I bet your laptop specs way lower than that.

It was like an 800 or 900m series cant remember. It also died in 2016 unfortunately.

What are you guys thoughts on sshd's? Sup Forums keeps telling me they're a meme but every review I've seen says otherwise.

laptops come with desktop grade gpu's now, just a fuckton more expensive

>Sup Forums keeps telling me they're a meme
Meme does not mean "bad" or "things I don't like".
Having said that, I'd just get a small SSD for your OS and such.

2013, really starting to feel it these days.

But I keep wasting all money on figma and shit instead.

>desktop grade gpus

With a tiny ass fan, awful ventilation, less power to draw from, and a significantly lower life expectancy, also, what's the point of a "desktop grade gpu" if you are still stuck with a tiny ass processor?

It mitigates windows being windows massively, you think boot time is the only slow part of windows?

to be fair, I played DF for 12 hours inflight on an x220 with an i7
it doesn't really require a powerhouse

Never. It's an HP Pavilion laptop that was all I could afford at the time.

August-November last year, bought a 1080ti in August, then a ryzen 1600, mobo and ram in Sept, then in Oct I got my 1440p 144hz monitor and lastly in Nov I got a new computer chair.

>want m2
>am retard to got a mobo with a tacticool m2 ""thermal shield"" that actually traps heat according to people who have tested it
>2scared to rip it off

It really depends on the game, but in my experience most games it's not that noticeable. I have an SSD and an HDD and often install whatever multiplayer games I'm playing and maybe open world games on the SSD and the rest go on a hard drive. Also older games go on the HDD as well.

As for your overall OS performance, yes it makes a huge difference. System boots up, restarts, wakes up WAY faster and is just overall much more nimble and less prone to files fragmenting on Windows. My work just got me a fairly cheap Dell laptop for work and it's actually really snappy and responsive mainly due to the SSD inside. The equivalent costing laptop ten years ago with an HDD would have been a much slower piece of shit.

Get an SSD and install your OS on it, you won't regret it.

>you bought DDR43000 2x8GiB for $130 less than half a year ago

dodged that bullet, but the GPU shit is a goddamn cannonball that I need to wait out

>what's the point of a "desktop grade gpu" if you are still stuck with a tiny ass processor?

Gaming laptops can have regular non LV processors in them.

A lot of these really bulky gaming laptops are really just portable, prebuilt desktops that you can fold up and put in a backpack for lan parties or travel and shit.

>American Kirby vs Japanese Kirby

Yeah DF runs in toasters but it's just a matter of time until fps death. It's not multithreaded so you need a beefy CPU and like 8gig of really fast ram and you're set.
I just play DF on flights so I don't have to worry about using a mouse.

A lot faster load time on pretty much everything installed on it, including the Operating System.

No moving parts, so more energy efficient, less heat and effectively silent. I really do think that upgrading from an HDD to an SSD for your OS and your most used applications is the best, most cost effective and easiest way to upgrade your system.

2 years ago. My pc kept blue screening, but then i realized my motherboard was too old to use the ddr5 ram i bought.

This. Just got a pretty cheap Dell laptop for work with like a 100GB SSD and shit's actually not bad at all.

>got a 1050 to replace my old GTX 760 which is fine for what limited games I play on PC (XCOM, Dark Souls, older ports of games I'm into, indie games, etc..)
>processor is shitting the bed
>motherboard is DDR3

This is what I get for going cheap in 2014

>toady will never learn to multithread properly and refactor the DF codebase

upgraded from a 970 to a 1070 and got an i5 6500 last year and it's been pretty good and boy am I glad I did it when I did, those cryptoniggers completely fucked everything.

>1050
>760
Can you not just save up for some time and buy something better?

It's not necessarily that other people make more money than you, it's just we're smarter with it.

Ehhhhhh. I could have, but I really don't care too much. I play on this thing a few times a month, and maybe the biggest time sink as of late has been Darkest Dungeon. Like I said, limited games. Not gonna spend a extra hundo for something I use four times a month.

During october

I found pillars of eternity to be annoying as shit with the constant loading. But playing it again on an SSD however, the load screen pops up for a milisecond at most. Might as well not even had been there.

This is largely why I just use my laptop instead of putting together the cash to buy a PC. I could if I wanted, but the portability of a laptop is great. I'm fine with low settings if it means I can play anywhere.

Your CPU is fine, maybe go for an i7? CPU upgrades are largely marginal though.

6600k is a-okay
might not be bad to go for an 8400k though

Somewhat off topic, but at the same time not really. I wanna build, but can't justify current GPU/RAM prices nor am I in the mood to drop $1000 all at once. Is it a viable option to just buy parts over time?

Haven't since 2014 and don't plan to any time soon since it isn't in the budget and there isn't any vidya out that interest me mostly play VN's anyway. specs if anyone cares
windblows 8.1
780Ti with aftermarket accelro arctic iv
Asus Z-97
Coolermaster evo 212
some cheap wifi card
some beater cd drive from like 2009
and around 3 tb in free space
and a Fractal Design Arc XL

Mid december, I got a Z370 board and an 8700K along with a 960 evo 500GB SSD at microcenter.

wait for AMD to do some anti-crypto shit and for their prices to normalize so that nvidia can't be as jewish
Also for cryptos to crash once the wall street retards realize that an unstable currency is self defeating and that it's worthless the more they invest in it.

RAM is a whole other problem, it's straight up price fixing and they're being investigated.

I'd buy the everything but cpu, gpu, and RAM and wait for the spectre + meltdown niggery to finish to know what exactly is being effected.

put your OS on it. games don't really load faster because they are unoptimized garbage with unskippable splash screens and throws to menu but my PC goes from the BIOS to the desktop before my wheel can finish auto-zeroing.

4 Months ago; a 1070 (at MSRP) and a 512GB SSC with a 128GB as as scratch/torrent disk.

Yea, my hope is that AMD cucks cryptofags somehow, I would like to use a Vega card at some point, seems like a viable competitor to nvidia

3 years ago. I do ~4 year cycles.
Ive only upgraded 6 times.