Oh my God Sup Forums it finally clicked...

Oh my God Sup Forums it finally clicked. I went in with the right mindset and now I'm starting to think this is one of the best Final Fantasies

help me

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=knH0AzUkgUU
youtube.com/watch?v=7usUTDtPt-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not one of the best but it's really not that bad.

"The right mindset" is just ignoring all the flaws (the entire story and all the dialogue among other things) and having the patience to grind through the slog to get to the passable late-game gameplay. Time heals all wounds and you've gotten over the fact that it's such a piece of shit in so many ways so now you can have some fun with it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's really just a bad game. You've lost all perspective if you think this is one of the best Final Fantasies.

Yes, it is.. and the best combat system by far.

It gets pretty good once you hit the tower boss and orphan fight. I like 13-2 for its tighter improvements on gameplay and story. And LR for its developed sidequests and battle flow with customization

>"The right mindset" is just ignoring all the flaws
The story and writing aren't written from a "fix all plotholes" logical perspective of story-writing. It's all in service of the emotional throughline and the characters existing in their world. The reason that they limited items to the Datalog is because they didn't think the characters would have to explain most of the story (since they already understand concepts like l'cie/fal'cie etc.)

Like when you view it in the way it was intended it's a masterpiece.

>It's all in service of the emotional throughline and the characters existing in their world.
Except they utterly fail at that too.

>The reason that they limited items to the Datalog is because they didn't think the characters would have to explain most of the story
This is true of any fantasy story, but competent writers find a way.

>right mind set
Did you get a lobotomy?

The characters actually do explain all the concepts like l'cie and whatnot, they just don't do it immediately. The game does throw a lot of jargon at the player early on, but it's all explained in more detail in cutscenes later. You never need to read the datalog. The thing is, a lot of people who complain about datalog and whatnot probably didn't play past the first couple chapters.

OP, there's nothing to be ashamed of with liking 13. It really is a fantastic game, with a great battle system and top-tier encounter design. Try some low-stats challenge runs if you want to really appreciate the mechanics.

XIII is good

It's probably my favorite after IX. It helped a lot that I watched a fairly in-depth LP of it before playing.

I really like it too.

The soundtrack exceeds expectations. Every bit worthy of the franchise even without Uematsu composing.

The settings are a feast for the eyes. Prettier than anything in XII, except maybe that level that looks like Tron. You know which one I mean.

The party breaks up every which way, so you get to see 1-on-1s of all the members and you get a firm sense of solidarity when your crew is finally all together. VI did this wonderfully, as did IX to an extent.

The combat and paradigm system seems to me the true successor of the ATB formula. The previous installment was too much a single player MMO, and the next felt like a grown man's Kingdom Hearts. It will keep you on your toes.

You don't need to play XIII-2 or Lightning Returns. Only the basic installment will do. But if you like it and want more, they only get better. In one you're the little sister, with her boyfriend and a pet of your choosing. In the next you're fierce-deity Link in Majora's Mask, basically.

X was never criticized for being too linear, but this one was. It doesn't remain so. You're given a huge landscape to explore later on, much more than the Gaza Plains in X.

All the characters are named something in the color white, much like the heroes of VIII are named after bodies of water. I think it's sort of a cool idea.

The final boss is practically god, and I would accept nothing less. We can assume the l'Cie were highly advanced AIs that developed autonomy and now provide for human cities or just roam free in the wild. Forces of nature, robots, magical entities, whatever the hell they are they practically govern fate itself. Hell, just look at this spoiler.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=knH0AzUkgUU

As for the cons: I wish the game didn't limit summons to one Esper per character. Fang and Vanille's Oerba accents are offensive to my ears. How much you like the ending is a matter of opinion. I found it only slightly preferable to how they ended the sequels.

What I'm seeing now is that while every cutscene does use the same terms generally (L'cie, Fal'cie, Enemies of Cocoon, etc) it is always genuinely new information, and character development is always happening.

13 would have been good if they fixed the opening pacing, endgame content, and tied up the plot with any coherence.

13-2 and 13-3 were better

XIII trilogy is great, hating it is memes.
>Duhhhh... no HD towns..
fuck

Is the right mindset a fucking lobotomy?

no it's jacking it to armpits

Only the waifus are good. Lightning and Vanille are eye candy

It's good to finally see someone who's eyes have opened, user. Hopefully we can actually discuss this game now. Concerning the main theme of the narrative, do you find that true power comes from the ability to change things, or the ability to choose to do so? Like, are the gods really "gods" if they're bound to serve humanity? I mean, in a way, if you substitute the fal'cie for any authority figure, doesn't that make the masses the ones with the power?

5>4>9>6>12>7>10>1>8>3>13=2

Ff13 ff12 are the best.

>Time heals all wounds and you've gotten over the fact that it's such a piece of shit in so many ways so now you can have some fun with it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's really just a bad
That's how I feel about Sup Forums. FF13 is the Sup Forums of final fantasy.

The character developments are very complex and subtle. It's little things that makes so much sense and have such an emotional impact when you go back and replay the game. Like a little exchange between Snow and Gadot at the beginning. Snow faces the psi-com soldiers fearlessly, but after he fails to save Hope's mom, Gadot points a gun at him and he is visibly shaken. Only on hearing his own words repeated back to him that he continues back into his old facade. Little moments like these show the depths of the characters without them having to outright state it.

Is it a mindset that's divorced from Final Fantasy conventions as a franchise? Because I have a feeling the reason why I liked it so much is because it was my first Final Fantasy and didn't have a standard to compare it to. So when I went to play 7 and 6 afterwards, my thoughts weren't, "Wow, this is so much better than XIII," it was more like, "Whoa, this is really different, but I still really like it." They didn't retroactively make XIII worse for me, but I got some perspective on why most Final Fantasy fans didn't like it.

>The story and writing aren't written from a "fix all plotholes" logical perspective of story-writing. It's all in service of the emotional throughline and the characters existing in their world.
No, this is complete bullshit. Why are people trying to meme 13's story into something good. "Oh you're just not looking at it from the right perspective". No, you're wrong, there is NO perspective from which 13's story is good. Not from a "logical" perspective, not from worldbuilding, not from an emotional or character-based standpoint, not from plot twists, nothing. It is a total failure on every level. I was legitimately offended when I first played 13 that Squenix said they wanted to "focus on the story" like they did with 10, and this was the pile of crap they turned out. If you like any aspect of 13's story then you are mentally deficient.

>The reason that they limited items to the Datalog is because they didn't think the characters would have to explain most of the story (since they already understand concepts like l'cie/fal'cie etc.)

This could also be done through narration.

The story is great. It places a great emphasis on the characters and each coming to grips with their mistakes and flaws and learning to get over those. It only works because the characters are all such great character studies.

Something that I think a lot of people miss about XIII is that they get so wrapped up in the mythology, lore, and terminology of the world that they get overwhelmed by it and write it off as pretentious. But like, I've never read a single datalog and I understand about 90% of the story. Most of the lore of XIII acts more like a stand-in for more abstract real world concepts. It's like a more fantasy/sci-fi themed Persona, in that regard.

I tried it recently as my first FF - despite being advised otherwise. I dropped it pretty quickly. I might have kept playing if I hadnt picked up P5, but it was awfully boring. Might give it another shot, but I have other games in my backlog I'd rather play.

>press x to win

Apparently Toriyama got the idea from being in a cafe and overhearing middle schoolers talk about how stressful it was trying to get into highschool. He started thinking about the expectations society places on people and how those who don't conform are outcasts. That's how he came up with the concepts of l'cie and c'ieth, with society acting as fal'cies. Like, you have to perform your duty to society, or you're seen as something not normal.

There is literally nothing pretentious or difficult to understand about FF13 at all. The few key terms you need to know - fal'Cie, l'Cie, focus - are all explained in the first few hours. It's very simple and straightforward. If anyone thinks FF13's lore is complex or "pretentious", then they have clearly never read a book in their lives and our public school system has failed them.

FF13's dialogue and story are literally a satire of final fantasy and anime in general. They go out of their way to keep the characters as one dimensional and as possible.

And combat is worse then The Witcher 3. Repetitive, unsatisfying, set your party up right and you only have to swap jobs a couple times to win. The only reason to play it is the eye candy and music.

I WANT TO FUCK THE FEMALE HALF OF ORPHAN'S FIRST FORM WHILE THE MALE HALF WATCHES

Like, it's an okay game, I don't hate 13 (13-2 was better in every way) but this is the one thing you can't fucking say about it lol. might as well be saying "chapters 1 through 9 were actually fun and not dragged out to fuck at all" for how untrue it is

The combat was okay, it tried something new, it was alright in some ways, but it wasn't "good"
The game has a fucking serious repeating factor that is your entire party getting aoe'd to fucking death because you can't reposition your characters anywhere. Your retard fucking sentinel who's provoked the enemy enjoys standing RIGHT FUCKING NEXT to the other 2 party members.

I also enjoyed XIII

>The game has a fucking serious repeating factor that is your entire party getting aoe'd to fucking death because you can't reposition your characters anywhere.
Oh really? How do you explain this?

youtube.com/watch?v=7usUTDtPt-g

Finally found the Lightning thread

Good game.

Explain what?
It's a video of fucking poisoning a boss then reviving and healing for 20 minutes until it dies, and getting lucky with positioning of your party during important attacks that could wipe them.
And let's not forget abusing the eidolon timer bug where poison still ticks at the same rate despite the fact that the enemy can't act

You know that's not possible to do when you have to actually spend half your time attacking and building chain, right?

The inability to reposition your party members individually around the field makes the combat system bad, by default.
It's just like the last remnant, except that's turn based and you have a tiny bit of control as long as there are multiple enemies in different locations, but it's still the same shit when the gates of hell aoes 80% of your forces cause they're all retardedly positioned to eat aoe

You can manipulate the positioning of your character, it just takes some knowledge of their move set. For example, lightning's melee attacks concludes with the doing a backflip before rushing in for a strike. If you cancel the backflip, she doesn't rush in and is out of range for AoE's. All ruins will also cause the character to step backwards slightly, so you use it repeatedly to separate the character form the enemy.

>tfw you lived long enough to see Sup Forums like final fantasy 13

it's minimal control, and it's a retarded amount of work to do. It's all back and forwards. There's no specific way to move them around to the side or the back, it's purely on how the dumb ai makes them walk around idling

I’m not sure how much of a brainlet you would have to be to think FFXIII’s story was good

13 is good. It sets up a nice world and story unique to it's series.

13-2 is unironically 10/10 time travel kino with one of gamings best villains.

Lighting Returns is a one of the best payoffs and closure to a game trilogy.

>Are you really going to destroy all of space and time for the life of ONE girl?
>Yes.

Because there's really no need to do so. And it's very easy to do. You pick up on it pretty quickly.

>This entire thread

Nothing wrong with that. I adore XIII myself even though it spawned the worst male and female characters in the series.
The combat is fun, music is great, Vanille, Sazh, and Fang are fun, and the premise is neat.

HCbaily?

Walk forward and tap x to win: the game

Yup. HDBailly.

>Sup Forums is one person
I wish people like you would unironically kill themselves, even if this is bait you are no use to this world. Why do you think this board has console war threads every single day? Why do you think that people always debate which FF is their favorite in FF threads??

Why is it surprising that people who LIKED FF13 are going to talk about in a FF13 thread? This goes with all fucking games. "tfw you lived long enough to see Sup Forums like minecraft/bioshock infinite/MW2/insert whatever 5+ old game here.

Fuck this board

Calm down XIII-kun.

Why do you think Sup Forums hates XIII, OP? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a J.

That guy is also just one user, kupo.

Jews?

it's also an allegory for 9/11 if you think about it

Não, Jô Soares, sua vagabunda.

you're the fucking soyboy who can't ignore/filter out the shit you don't like. if anything, if a person actually hides threads, then it really shows how much of a beta faggot they are, and they should leave Sup Forums

I wanna fuck Vanille

I forgot he made that dumb joke.
XIII-2 when?
Hell, I wanna see X-2 just to see the reactions to the terrible plot.

Everyone does.

I don't think he'll ever play a Final Fantasy sequel other than IV's because of his bias.

Basically all FF games.

>XIII-2 when?
I think he said he doesn't like monster mechanics in RPGs so he has no interest in playing it. Haven't watched his shit in who knows how many years though so I might be wrong.

Hopurai...

False

I know this is Sup Forums, where casually calling someone retarded is par for the course, but just
>If you like any aspect of 13's story then you are mentally deficient
Like your ability to relate with a heavily popular opinion puts you above anyone who thinks differently enough to call them mentally deficient. Here's a concept, you gyrating taco salad, maybe you just don't like the story and there's nothing more to it than that. Maybe some concepts (not l'cie or fal'cie confusion) flew over your head, and the people who do enjoy the story just caught onto those things properly. The fact that you have to edgelord yourself so hard to make that point certainly belies the fact that you were probably predisposed to not trying to understand the writing anyway.

>"so what, are you saying your opinion is better than mine because you """get""" the worst final fantasy game? get over yourself."

No, I'm not saying my opinion is better. I'm not even saying that I'm denying the possibility that I missed something huge that would make me realize how potentially terrible the story is written. What I am saying is that acting like someone whose opinion is objective fact won't bring discussion anywhere. It's just perpetuating the cycle of putting anyone who like XIII in a box and leaving them to circlejerk amongst themselves as to why they love XIII without any real discourse that doesn't involve ad hominem. Like, holy flying circus user, get over yourself.

I was shocked to learn her voice actor was actually Australian, her accent sounded so fake.