ITT: Games that were mediocre but you feel bad that they flopped anyway

ITT: Games that were mediocre but you feel bad that they flopped anyway.

The world was a lot more interesting than the game, which was laughably easy and boring.

This should have been an anime or something.

A lot of Japanese AA and shovelware games. Somewhere out there, I like to think there is an Aoba who genuinely thinks she is making a good game, then cries when it is poorly received and flops.

DayZ, if only it were properly worked on.

>tfw holding out for Smash-rep

Wasn't that a straight-up con job anyway?

There's a lot of indie platforming games on Steam that are probably decent but not great enough to be super noticed. The silver lining is that a lot of them were probably cheap enough to make so they probably broke even or didn't lose too much and got valuable experience.

There's this one game I remember a while back that actually got a bunch of sales after the dev commented on him not really selling that many copies.

I played and beat this game so many times. Looking back on it, the combat was pretty simple. I did find the concepts they had in the game to be really cool, like being able to pick between two protagonists at the start and then doing another run to see what the other character was up to. Plus, Mint's magic system was kinda cool.

>Take Zelda
>Bog it down with unessecary gameplay mechanics

Every clone/arpg does this it's so annoying. I can't even play Seiken Densetsu because of that magic mechanic that favors enemies.

Agreed, this game was really charming but the dungeons, combat, puzzles, and whatever else all fell short.

I played the entire game and I am not sure why. It was alright I wish there was more and it was harder.

If I am not mistaken it was the companies first original game they made. They made the zelda 3d remakes.

My only exposure to this game was on this one Megaman forum i used to go to some fag changed his username to Rue

>but you feel bad that they flopped anyway.
This is an odd qualifier since the financials of games are rarely public. Even if you know how many copies it sold, without knowing production cost you can't really tell anything. A game that only sells 50k copies could be hugely profitable if it had a low production cost.

At least it's getting a "sequel".

That game was very nice, too bad that it was heavily ignored, Esna a cute.

There is no answer

The online multiplayer was fucking amazing, easily my favorite experience in the entire 3DS library. I really hope they revisit this formula on the Switch and make it online-only. The single player mode was complete garbage

I feel bad because I pirated it

Yes there is. -7 = 19

I wish it didn't end up being so unappealing to people.
Ever Oasis was one of my favorite games of last year and on the system overall, a bit short but it's a wonderful little game that I hope gets some form of expanded sequel.

This shit had SO MUCH potential, the gameplay was very deep and rewarding and the soundtrack was badass

but good lord Dorothy sucked major ass

Nintendo emailed me a bunch of 30% off deals for my birthday. Should I got for Ever Oasis?

Its fate was sealed when they picked that artstyle.

This shit would have been 11/10 if the Dark Link battle at the end wasn't against 3 AI but instead another random team of actual players.

Apparently Japanese people aren't super crazy about western comic-book style art

go figure

The actual oasis part of the game felt underdeveloped, shops felt pointless because money was a complete non issue half an hour in and they didn't give you items or interact with each other in any way. The rest of the gameplay was fun enough though, it'd just feel more rewarding bringing back all that loot for the oasis if you got something more out of it.

>western comic-book style
That's what I.S. said, it looks like a shitty saturday morning cartoon.

Man all this shit really needed was a good endgame.

No bestiary and labyrinths being super repetitive (same room layouts, rare monsters with no indication on how they are encountered along with materials they have needed to craft other weapons) just made everything after the ending super disappointing. Couldn't force myself to continue.

same for western audiences, if it had some generic anime waifus it would have sold easily twice as much in both regions

The three chiefs tell you how to encounter at least three of the bosses, but annoying that the others are pretty much random. If you look at an item at the crafting thing it'll tell you what items you need and what they drop from though.

The artstyle had nothing to do with it, the game was shit. It actually looked great IMO, it's nice to have something that looks original rather than the same old shit

The artstyle in this is so charming I overlooked a lot of its problems initially. But its really basic in just about every way when compared to Rune Factory and similar games. Nothing feels fleshed out, from combat to the town management it all feels like it never gets any more involved from the first couple hours of the game.

I heard the endgame was fucking brutal. Like RF4 "Memories" turned up to max or something.

It is
While the rest of the game is fairly easy, the Labyrinths are absurdly difficult. Monster rooms where the monsters are 10 levels above you and the spawn chest reappears for 5 seconds halfway across the map, and most of the rare bosses can one hit kill your party unless you use buffs.

I feel like an unintentional contrarian for liking this but I genuinely enjoyed it the most out of anything in 2017 and consider it my favorite game of that year. I've never seen a thread for it that had more than 1 other person who actually enjoyed the game though, but it seems people have progressed from complaining that it isn't a clone of Dark Cloud or Fantasy Life.