I am still mad about what they did to the Mass Effect games. This franchise could have been so much greater...

I am still mad about what they did to the Mass Effect games. This franchise could have been so much greater. It never got better than ME1.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bRNG4Lhbj4k
youtu.be/RVrsLsvW5-I?t=28m
youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6PGp9G2W8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't have any idea how some of you got so invested in this series.

The races are generic. The factions are boring. It just isn't an interesting universe.

Why would you or anyone be mad? "What they did" has been in the series since the first game.

It was successful because no one tried to make an rpg go full blockbuster before. Now, with much better games, it looks rather pale.

No it wasn't.
>Removal of almost all RPG elements
>Turning combat into generic third person cover shooter
>Fucking ammo system
>Bloated party
>Shit "choices"
>ME2 was literally a filler episode
>ME3's godawful endings

I'm guessing you can safely blame EA, and many of the original team's absence after they lost interest.

>muh ME1!
when will this fucking meme stop? ME1 had the best world building and story telling, everything else was complete shit and vastly improved in the later games
the character rpg elements are subjective and the music has always been absolute kino tier

ME3 had better fights and gun choices.

>>Turning combat into generic third person cover shooter
and what was the combat like in the first game, dumbass?

Agree
>No option to suck Wrex off
What did they mean by this?

>everything else was complete shit and vastly improved in the later games
No
They took those parts and just removed them instead of fixing the flaws.
See: inventory system. First game had a proper inventory, but it could have used some improvements. 2 more or less didn't have one.

>and what was the combat like in the first game, dumbass?
You could easily run and gun depending on class/gear/difficulty. You only had to spend a lot of time under cover if you were massively outmatched, whereas in ME2 it was much more likely you'd spend a lot of time behind cover even against generic trash enemies.

like this

you could run and gun in any game depending on build

>you could run and gun in any game depending on build
Yes, but you needed to be at a significantly larger advantage vs the enemies.
There's also the issue that gear upgrades did fuck all in ME2 - the difference between starting gear and ending gear in ME1 was basically the same as the difference between the lowest difficulty and the highest. In ME2 it was nowhere near that.

>Removal of almost all RPG elements
What elements are we talking about? Dialoge wheel? Character progression with zero choise? Then congrats, it was in a first game too.

>Turning combat into generic third person cover shooter
Except it was a generic third person cover shooter from the start.

>Fucking ammo system
What`s wrong with ammo?

>Bloated party
At least they were somewhat fun.

>Shit "choices"
Just like in the first ME.

>ME2 was literally a filler episode
>ME3's godawful endings
This point`s are valid, I give you that.

Good. You opened this message. This isn't actually asari military command. They're busy tending to what's left of their planet.

So you survived our fight on Thessia. You're not as weak as I thought. But never forget that your best wasn't good enough to stop me. Now an entire planet is dying because you lacked the strength to win. The legend of Shepard needs to be re-written. I hope I'm there for the last chapter. It ends with your death.

-KL

Maybe I just lack imagination by your standards but I gotta disagree. I thought ME 1 had some of the best world building I’d ever seen in a game. It actually made you believe in this false understanding of the past where Promethians were the big guys well before really introducing the reaper involvement.
I thought the aliens were interesting enough, with the exception of the asari. They all had their own cultures and I particularly liked the tragic krogan backstory. I just wish they weren’t painted as being so innocent in 3.
Overall, I really liked 1 for the world it provided and the potential it really had for followup games. 2 was a good game, but really unnecessary to the story and many could argue that there were a lot of steps back in certain aspects.
The rest... well we all know.

Nice.

Go fuck yourself, weeb.

>What elements are we talking about
The weapon/armor mod slot system for one. The vehicle system as well - it didn't come back until DLCs. As I said in another post, instead of fixing the flaws with it, they just removed it. Hell, ME2 didn't even have real armor upgrades. It had a few armor things with minor bonuses IIRC.

>Except it was a generic third person cover shooter from the start.
No it wasn't. It felt like cover was a neat option in the first game, whereas the sequels made cover extremely sticky - it was obviously the main focus of in-combat movement.

>What`s wrong with ammo?
Didn't add anything. At least not nearly as much as the shit they removed. The first game had an overheat system which acted as a pseudo-reload system already, but you were never subject to any sort of long-term ammo limit.

>At least they were somewhat fun.
The party got generic as fuck apart from maybe Legion and Miranda's ass.

lol,
>not just run-and-gunning as infiltrator
ME1 was best because I could play out my godly sniper power fantasy

Literally all of this.

>It never got better than ME1.
ummm....user....

Who thought this was excusable. This and Tali’s face reveal just baffle me from a decision making standpoint. I mean, some one came up with these decisions and thought they were good. Fuck...

Nu-Bioware everyone,can't believe this shit made it into the game. Hell I can't believe that shitty character even made it into the game.

>Calls user a weeb for quoting the game
Neck yourself sperg

>when will this fucking meme stop? ME1 had the best world building and story telling, everything else was complete shit

I stopped here because your post is shit.

> calling a character weeb for obvious similarities to japanese characters
> taking it as a personal insult
You`ve spent to much time on the internet.

Sniping was light years better in 1 than the rest of the games. You could tweak your sniper to your liking (I used to love the ridiculous explosive rounds) and just snipe away all you want because 0 ammo. No need for ammo so no need to be bothered by not having enough ammo for your sniper. ME2 ruined all this shit by forcing thermal clips bullshit.

I agree.

Tali was actually pretty cool though.

> Kai Leng could feel Shepard's heat, as his warm, comforting hands slipped under his tactical cyborg ninja pants and coming to rest, comfortably cupped around his groin.
> Kai Leng: Shepard... what about the Asari?
> Shepard: You think i travelled across the galaxy to help them? It was to finally get you. I never did get to see what kind of tactical equipment you were packing under these pants. lets see what you have sheathed down here, hmm?

Unpopular opinion: I thought andromeda's combat was a far sight better then ME 3

With augs you could actually get a build of some kind going. I added all these buffs that triggered when i was hovering, used an SMG that shot sticky grenades. i ws like the fucking hand of god in the latter half of the game

Vehicle system has nothing to do with rpg`s elements and was shit from the start. Inbentory removal was bad, I agree.
And yes, user, it was a generic third person cover shooter with bullet-sponge enemies and shitty AI. The reason why it felt diffrently is that cover system was rather bad and unresponsive.
The party was generic from the start - tough-soldier-girl archetype, rogue-cop archetype, old-sarcastic-mercenary archetype, etc.

What a pleb tier opinion. ME2 was better and ME3 was even better than that. They literally just made the gameplay more fun and added more guns and more powers each game. People got too hung up over the ending and it skewed their perspective. ME3 was great. The multiplayer alone was better than ME1.

Agreed. I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say fuck Bioware and their diversity hiring. Their merger with EA and their forced gay pandering fucking ruined a once great company.

They’ll get shot soon just like Pandemic and Bullfrog did. That will be a good day.

And successively retconned plot points and fucked continuity for the setting.

If you think ME2 and ME3 were better you don’t belong here. Fuck of back to r/faggotry.

I really like how they even gave him squinty robot eyes

>kinda want to play through ME1 and 2 again
>remember how shit the ending to 3 was
>immediately lose all interest

Will it? What's the current purest, most devoted creatively-independent dev in your opinion right now? Who do you think EA will turn on next after Bioware becomes unprofitable?

>- tough-soldier-girl archetype, rogue-cop archetype, old-sarcastic-mercenary archetype, etc.
>this bullshit again

Would you rather have had a transexual krogan, a homosexual turian and a girl that needs no man instead? It is entertainment. WTF do you expect them to do? Wrex is fucking huge. You want him to be a fucking pussy or something instead?

Make me, Sup Forumsirgin.

>The party was generic from the start - tough-soldier-girl archetype, rogue-cop archetype, old-sarcastic-mercenary archetype, etc
They fit into archetypes, but that doesn't automatically make them bad. They still developed sufficiently within those.

>cover system was rather bad
Agreed, it was bad. But half the reason they had to make improvements to it was because they changed it from being one of many options for combat to a hard necessity.

What the fuck are you talking about? I`m not complaining, I`m pointing out that ME never had very original cast, it`s bioware game for god sake, they are using the same presets as in kotor. It was a matter of developing this archetipes and in this regard they done great in the entire trilogy.

>Vehicle system has nothing to do with rpg`s elements and was shit from the start
>WE SWAPPED DRIVING AROUND IN AN OP VEHICLE WITH SOMEWHAT DUBIOUS PHYSICS FOR MANUALLY RASTERING A FUCKING CURSOR OVER A PLANET, "SCANNING" FOR RESOURCES.
Real improvement here guys.

ikr, lots of potential but chased the market into mediocrity. i can see why though. imagine you make a bunch of lame bro-based changes to your cool scifi rpg and then that one sells way better than the first one, of course on the next one you double down on that stuff and skimp on the scifi concepts.

They got the order of the games wrong.
ME 2 -> ME 1 -> ME 3 but better.

You would have to do some tweaking with 2's story, like have Shepard working towards becoming a Specter and possibly have Saren as a squad mate to make his betrayal feel deeper.

I'm Commander Sheppard and ME2 is my favorite game in the series.

I actually agree

If you're thinking that the only reason MEA failed is the presence of people such as Manveer Heir (aka Curry Thunder), you would be wrong.

Bioware Montreal's top management wasted 3 out of 5 years chasing a pipe dream (procedurally generated world aka. No Man's Sky style), so it's no surprise they royally fucked it up. There were also multiple major re-scopes, the animation team was understaffed, Frostbite was (and is bad) for creating open-world RPGs, and yes, an insignificant number of employees were there just because they had a vagina or a higher melanin content in their skin.

Guess why Bioware's general manager Aaryn Flynn resigned and why Montreal was subsequently disbanded by daddy EA - it's not because Curry Thunder tweeted something they didn't like.

>hat's the current purest, most devoted creatively-independent dev in your opinion right now?

CDPR. There one of a handful of studios who actually give a fuck about the product they make and aren’t ruled by faggots (literally) in suits.

this

You’ve actually outlined everything I agree with, and you’re right Curry Thunder was t the reason Bioware is going under but it’s a part of the problem.

Don't ever think a company has anything else than profits and reputation in mind. I love what CDPR is doing creatively, but they are creating it by breaking the backs and spirits of their workers and paying them in Polish zlotys - this doesn't mean they aren't payed well for Polish standards, but that their budget is effectively larger than Bioware's due to the difference between currencies.

>tfw you go for maximum damage with the sniper rifle and use scram rail, rail extension, and explosive ammo.

There's something really nice about causing splash damage with a sniper rifle.

Paragon choice:
> whore yourself out as a shill for a small discount
Renegade choice:
>Spread the word of shitty business practices but take a bribe in the form of a discount

What did EA mean by this?

>whore yourself out as a shill
People here are totally disconnected from the real world indeed.

This was proposed on official forums, and if someone made a remake of the trilogy in the future it would make the most sense. The story would be drastically changed, so I don't believe we will ever see this done.

Underneath the thin veneer of diversity and progressiveness, Bioware is just like any other company or corporation. Corporations will only follow trends and have political opinions when the majority of the public has a positive stance on something - today, it's fashionable to be progressive (although there's nothing wrong with actually having a progressive stance).

ME1 was great and all, but the combat sucked ass for the most part, whoever decided that your character should auto-snap to cover is a moron.

I missed not having weapon mods or unlimited ammo in ME2, but as far as general gameplay goes it was a massive improvement over the first game.

I'd be all over a remake of the main trilogy at this point. Seems like easy money to me. Get on it EA.

I'll say ME1 and 2 were good
For 3 I would have scrapped the entire story and focused on fallout from first 2 games. Because of all the secrets and hiding, the council breaks up and goes to war with each other. You as a Shepherd have a choice between Alliance or Cerberus, and go on from there.

>Making combat fun instead of clunky is a bad thing
The absolute state of RPG "fans"

I actually like the idea behind the collectors but as you said, the overall story of this entire franchise would need to be rethought out since it is a hot mess.

I would keep the general idea of the reapers harvesting the protheans turning them into collectors. However I would change the stupid look of the protheans and I would also make the collectors more spooky looking and protheans more insect like of a design. No human looking mouths for them.

Also no stupid, humans were so strong, shepard is special, lets make a human reaper nonsense. Keep it simple. The collectors just harvest beings for a different reason. Maybe as a food source. That would make them spooky enough. Make them still have to eat.

But really there is way too much about the story they have to change so its not even worth posting everything that is messed up. There is so much great stuff to work with though. If only competent people had this series.

No EA is cancer. It needs to be taken away from them. The only real hope is if those rumors about Microsoft buying them end up true. I mean I'm sure Microsoft would have to be an improvement over the cancer that is EA. We would have to also hope they do the logical thing and reboot it.

Even ME1 had tons of shit removed that was intended to be in the game. Go watch early demos and showcases, we’ve still never got the game they promised.

ME2>=ME1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ME3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Androshit

t. someone who bought the first two on release day.

>we’ve still never got the game they promised.

I still want that sweet ass galactic map

youtube.com/watch?v=bRNG4Lhbj4k

Agreed on everything you've said. It's a shame they made the story up as they went. ME1 was the peak of ME's world building effort.

IMO, ME2 should've been an almost succesful attempt by Shepard & Friends to indefinitely stall the Reapers from starting the cycle and ME3 would be finding, activating and calibrating the ancient mass accelerator weapon that destroyed a Reaper orbiting around Mnemosyne (ME2's IFF misson).

But to be honest, it seems there is no way to satisfyingly end the triology without ignoring or throwing out most of the choices you've made.

The saddest thing is that Star Citizen - which is going to be a train-wreck of biblical proportions - gave me a glimpse of what I wanted ME:A to be.

Check this video from 28:00 to 31:30.
youtu.be/RVrsLsvW5-I?t=28m

This atmosphere is just perfect - landing on another planet, opening the shuttle doors, looking at a desolate planet full of secrets, all accompanied by a quiet synth music hinting at something mysterious and ancient.

ME2 should've been what the first half of ME 3 was, you going around the galaxy preparing it the best you can for the incoming invasion and in the final game have it be focused solely on the war, with all the choices you made coming into play as the game goes on

Having everything be converted to good boy points for your war assets was the cheapest route Bioware could've picked and a giant fuck you to everyone who played the previous games.

People who consider the bloody mutilation of EDI's character arc from ME2 an overall positive experience make me sick.

They could've kept ME2 if they recognized it for the side-show it was. Why promise to close out everything in the third game when the game you're currently working on will make it a nightmare of lose ends to tie up? They could've kicked the can down the road a bit, made ME3 another fun Shepard side tale about delaying the Reapers, and then gear up for Mass Effect: Revengerance or something, set a hundred years later when the Reapers actually show up and you don't have to worry about all your story threads and 12 squadmates carrying over.
Goddamn I am still mad

you should be more upset about the Fallout franchise.

This is a pretty good point actually. Although if you think about it, doing what you said could actually mean that they would be able to deliver on your choices having an effect on the ending. The problem though is they wanted it to be Shepard and his squad ending the reapers. Like many have said, he delayed them in the first game. The series could have then been about him preparing people far off into the future to be able to stop the reapers once they come back. ME 1-3 could have just been about Shepard and friends and multiple endings.

It just continues to amaze me how much everyone else had better ideas than Bioware on how to handle this series.

>show don`t tell rule
Nah, just put the window with some text, it would do fine.

You can still play and enjoy Fallout 1. The story of the Vault Dweller and the Chosen One are all wrapped up by the end. They're satisfying all on their own. But Mass Effect was a trilogy, and as well as ME1 can stand alone, it can't help but be tainted by the foulness that came further along. It's hard to get invested in Shepard again when you know where the road leads.

ME = Bioware
ME 2 & 3 = EA

That explains a lot.

>It never got better than ME1
thought it was a meme until i played it

It's incredible because you just know that conversation had to have come up. There was an interview where Casey Hudson talked about how hard it was to make ME3 after all the decisions they left hanging after ME2. They weren't blind to it. There must have been a day when they called some conference and asked "well, do we want to make ME3 the ending??" And somehow, they decided yes, they had to end it then.
They saw where the road was leading and decided they'd take their chances. Fear or hubris or EA overlords or something got to them, and they lost a chance to redeem the franchise. That's even more tragic to me.

I think you give them too much credit. I think these idiots wanted to end the reapers for sure with the third game and the third game was going to be the "end" as far as they were concerned. They would have gladly made more sure, but they wanted all those cool points from fans so they can gloat about how epic their trilogy was with the amazing end of the reapers thanks to you.

EA definitely would have wanted this to though. Its all about the money and ending the reaper threat once and for all was obviously going to be a good marketing hook to reel people in. So EA would have likely wanted this. Of course they still would have milked games later on, finding new threats and such. When it comes down to it, these people should have long had the majority of the story written down already. They had great ideas but most of it was poorly executed. EA destroyed much of their creativity anyways. Changing devs, changing lead writers and so much more. A lot of times I wonder what could have been if Microsoft bought Bioware instead. I guarantee the trilogy would have been better at least.

ME2 fags will defend the downgrades in favour of the gameplay improvements, but fail to do the same with 3 which is mechanically the best. 1 > 2 > 3. 2 became a dating sim, wasn't as much about having a fucking space crew but just a mediocre school-quality gang.

Kinda get the same feeling watching the OT star wars

Combat got better, everything else went to shit.

ME1 had WAY, WAAAYYY more focud on characters skills. Some battles were pretty much on an open arena (like the one against the krogan soon before recuing Liara). Cover was something that you used more to gain time to recharge your skills than anything.
Not to mention enemies coming from you too fast for you to run to cover when you open a door and similar.

ME2 is all about using covers and all mechanics are kind of designed around this. It's a badly done gears of war clone.

ME1 had enemies who actually used Biotics, pretty much no-one did in ME2 and ME3 outside of the rare heavies and even they only used limited ones.
It made the Sabotage and Damping effect pointless.

Kind of like Bioshock:Infinite how only a few enemies used Vigors which made no sense because you were using them and had only been around for a few hours and yet no soldiers had them?

yup, me1 was a true rpg

Mass Effect world building was lifted of Star Control 2.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6PGp9G2W8

Today I will remind them that Mako was good.

Honestly I loved the series. But fuck Andromeda for killing the franchise. It was the only mass effect I didn't replay multiple times but I honestly think with dlc it would have been alright.

I don't know how true the whole sjws ruined mass effect thing is but holy shit I'm seething at the devs for killing mass effect.

A text description is fine in an RPG, homolord.

I'm a ME2 fag and I've never done that, mechanically I think 3 is vastly better. I just like 2 for the Crew and their missions and the sucide mission, sans giant T-1000 boss. basically prefer 2 for the downtime even if in terms of the franchise it's just a stopgap. Shit even prefer ME1's mechanics to 2's honestly as 2's definitely not a good RPG and it's definitely not a good shooter it's just kinda...there. At least 1 and 3 gameplay are decent examples for their time of the oposite side of the coin.

>Tfw I agreed with the illusive man on everything but the game made me think that I was an evil space nazi
>Force me to fight agasint the guy I want to be an ally with
>Fucking hate 99% of converstation regarding cerberus because they are reduced to muh space racists
>End up in conflict with illusive man and kill him when I never fucking wanted to
>HE WAS FUCKING RIGHT ALL ALONG
Fuck you bioware, fuck you.

Yeah maybe in 1997

3 is already shitty fanfiction tier, might as well embrace the jank and robo waifus.

Can we all at least agree that the multiplayer in ME3 was great?
Nothing beats bitch slapping troopers off the map as a Krogan.