Is it still worth playing if i never played when it came out?

Is it still worth playing if i never played when it came out?

Or has it aged badly?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794
usoutpost31.com/easytutu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends. What kind of RPG do you like?

Anything goes really as long as it's sorta easy to figure out how to navigate things

Its a better gamer than the second because it's more about having the freedom to explore and less about having quests tell you where to go.

dumb ruleset aged badly. Besides that it plays fine. Alignement is useless, charisma is borderline useless, touch spells aren't properly implemented, etc.

It's aged fine and definitely worth playing if you're into CRPGs.

I'll go against the grain (probably) and recommend you play the EE though

>dumb ruleset aged badly.

You could always play the NWN conversion if that's an issue.

You should be fine. It's not a hard game to figure out.
Agreed. But I liked interaction with the party members in SoA a lot.I'm not that fond of The Gibberlings 3 banter mod.
>charisma is borderline useless
At least in BG there are charisma checks. In SoA it only affects prices.

link? sounds interesting

Any class that's recommended for a FUN time?

It's still great.
Play EE, just ignore the new companions.
For a complete no-brainer playthrough you can use Cavalier or Paladin, but it will get boring fast. Casters and caster multi/dual is where BG truly shines.

Fighter/mage multiclass

Sorcerer

nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794

The funniest class possible is cleric/mage multi.
In BG1 you will lag around 1 level behind the rest of your party despite having the double amount of cast power with spells for any situations.
In BG2 you will lag further, but with a powerful multi like that you can go with smaller party.

Get TOTSC + SOA + TOB

Then install Tutu: usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

Then buckle up, because you're going to be in there for a long time.

It is awful as a multi, what the fuck user.
Dual is where fighter/mage at.

You don't know what you're talking about.

>Casters and caster multi/dual is where BG truly shines
They also have best stronghold.

Either pure mage or paladin are good classes for a first time playthrough.

Monk is fun too, but they start off awful and only become pretty good in BG2

I played through Baldur's Gate again recently for the first time since it came out. I'd forgotten how fucking brutal the encounters against other parties of adventurers were.

Hi

I didn't like it that much, 7/10 at best. The sequel was way better but not one of my favorites either. Fallout and Fallout 2 are the better isometrics.

>15-year-old

Oh and if you're still here OP, don't do an evil play through because the main effect it has is increasing shop prices, which can be deeply irritating.

He can sell plenty flaming fist plate armors though.

Once you get to 2 reputation health potions cost more than plate armour sells for.

Best age.

>Or has it aged badly?
Kys yourself you fucking pleb.

>Is it still worth playing
Totally! Get it on GoG and start playing! It is awesome!
After that you need to play the sequel, it is even better than this one!

>games can age

>still no Aribeth npc mod
>still no Edwina romance mod
>still no AI mod that doesnt take 1 decade to install
>still no Yeslick mod for BG2
>still no decent Alora mod in BG2
>still no Grey Clan Episode II
BG's modding scene was a mistake

Is the new DLC it got 2 years ago worth it? I heard some controversy surrounding but ive never heard anyone talk about it gameplay and content wise.

>nwn2
why god why?

Playable but forgettable. Without any impact in history or any type of consequence in BG2. Play it if you just want more Baldur content, to enjoy the combat or to make BG2 easier when you import your character with more levels.

You aren't playing evil right then. Prey on weak NPCs and sell their stuff.

>ywn bury your skull in Annah's ass
Why live?

It's total shit.
Baldur's Gate poisoned the whole genre and it wasn't long before shit like dialogue wheels and romance sub-plots started to be considered as 'rpg elements'.
It undermines RPGs as a whole. Consider how linear it is compared to a true RPG like Ultima IV or V. There is no challenge or enjoyment in following a linear plot thread and levelling up at almost predetermined points along the way. You might as well be playing pac-man: going down straight corridors, being fed the exact prescribed amount of experience, and going to the next level in time for the next set of corridors.
How can anyone say that Baldur's Gate is among the best Role-playing games? You are stuck with a set list of pre-determined, pre-written party members in a pre-written plot having a pre-arranged 'experience'. It's hideous compared to what RPGs could have and should have been had it not come along and had filth like you not suckled at its teat for twenty fucking years intil your so spoiled by its milk that you can't get nourishment from anything else.
If I met you niggers irl I would hit you with a bat, i swear. Everyone who hailed this bottom tier series as "great", you are a complete shithead and a fucking cancer on this race for liking Baldur's Gate. You, YOU, activity contribute to the ruin of a beautiful genre, please fuck off.

nice copypasta, thanks

BG's modding scene is awful and I don't know why.

Fallout 2 has some great mods, so does Arcanum, so does NWN. BG just has a few crappy "banter" mods, some HR mods and that's about it.

Should I play this for the first time with wild mage? It sounds fun as fuck but I'm not familiar with D&D systems.

>it wasn't long before shit like dialogue wheels
bg 1998
mass effect 2007

BG has truckload of content mods, the fuck are you talking about.

It's okay, but like the other user said, it's a bit forgettable.

The controversy was mostly about the reference to Gamegate, but they took that out, and some people didn't like this weird fantasy tranny character who has like 4 lines in the game.

Why? You can't buy anything with low rep so all the money you have is worthless.

Shit, it's been almost eleven years. Mass Effect still feels like a recent game.

Yes.
Get EE, and play with mods.

They're mostly low-quality and not worth playing though

Best companion? Worst companion?

Just like Baldur's Gate itself.

sorcerer for sure

fucking hell. They really needed to add some Niggers....

She's lesbian, too.

Best companion is the gay gnome. He's one of the few that really cares about your character and he doesn't initiate a romance because he doesn't want to bother you, but he dies after the Siege trying to look for you when you disappeared. And, the only thing he asks of you is just to help him check to see if his siblings are okay, but he doesn't complain if you don't because he realises how busy you are.

dont have a problem with that mate

I don't think anyone who hasn't played BG by now should touch it because nowadays people are fucked in the head and I don't want to deal with you or hear you talk about it with your limp-wristed post 2000's brains.

are there any mods that balance ToB and don't make you a level 40 nigger in a setting where Gods are level 30?

I enjoyed it, a little too short imo but the expansion obviously adds those extra hours onto it.

I unironically liked Neera.

But if you're talking about original companions, Khalid or Minsc. And worst is definitely fucking Nalia or the wingless elf (partially because of the voice actress though, it's the same woman who does the voice of Cubert Farnsworth and Lola Bunny from Space Jam, and I always hear both of those whenever she speaks)

>i unironically liked neera
also fuck you Aerie was my first I N N O C E N T waifu when i was 13 and i still love her

>Not wanting Lola Bunny on your team
brah

>This is the main character
>This
>His Name is Abdel Adrian
>Literally 19 STR
>7 CHA
>Starts off with a +2 Dagger and a Broadsword
>Managed to canonically fuck up every good route, choice and ending in the entire saga
>Fucking went for literal Armenian/Jewess/Khalids fucking leftovers
>Becomes Duke of Baldurs Gate
>ANOTHER FUCKING BHAALSPAWN SHOWS UP
>Kills him, becomes Bhaal
>Minsc somehow ended up petrified, wakes up in 5e to the pozz, becomes a regugtating lifeless catchphrase doll, and hangs out with 420Drizzt

Oh right
>Is openly buried in the city, all the people who liked him weren't even able to visit his body due to his status
>Has probably been Exhumed and used in batshit magic Experiments.

Also, have a edit I made- it's the best you're going to get and it's technically accurate, edited to match his later appearance's skintone on the default 'Abdel' Portrait- righthand side is a bit sketchy, couldn't really do much with my poor PS skills.

and a vampire

Too bad Fallout is a post apocolyptic trash setting and arcanum is a trash steampunk one.

Yes, and it is one of the rare cases where the gameplay has aged well.
It can be a harsh game if you have no experience with games like it or D&D mechanics.

its really not if you ignore Fallout 3 and 4

will bethesda ever stop pandering to retarded normies and make a fallout game where civilization is actually being rebuilt? I don't even care if it's like fallout 4 (having less dialogue was actually better because all the dialogue in 3 was retarded shit), just add evil options back. shit fallout 4 could have been perfect if the settlements you were building were more than a couple retarded shacks and weren't so small compared to the amount of threats in the wasteland

Use the fallout in soa engine and play blade from beginning. you sort of default to bard in the expansion but its great for melee

>Will Bethesda ever stop wanting their game to sell

come on now it will sell on brand name alone, sure a few loud redditors will get pissy because in their retarded minds a functioning society cannot be post apocalyptic and we need more ebin raiders xDDD but they'll still buy the game, the DLC, the remake, the VR port and workshop credits

>I N N O C E N T
>men always steal the blankets

If you get the EE pirate it, beambog doesn't deserve money.

>get the EE

Buy the originals on GoG and get the mods on the forums

download the GoG version on your preferred public/private tracker******

>Beat Durlag's tower and boss int own
>Reach Baldur's gate
>Haven't touched game since

Ran out of steam playing BG1, the exploration is fun but I cannot handle more trash encounters of throwing rocks and shooting arrows.

i don't think the originals are in gog anymore

I think the EE games come with the originals on GoG.

Neera is unbearable. And in SoD they achieved the impossible by making her even more annoying and repulsive.

Nigga just go play Arcanum

Best companion? Worst companion? Only mods edition.
Leaving aside the obvious choices as the best waifu in the game of course.

SCS nigga. Start installing it right now so you can play within 1 or 2 years.

I liked her- At least until the goblins where they rushed the romance in atypical bioshit fashion.
What I'll never forgive is what they did with Dorn though-
>Ultra Bro-tier
>Outta nowhere Literally fucking Fullblown barafaglord Jockstrap master gay out of nowhere
>Ends with you literally becoming AIDSblood lovers with a fucking blood brother pact after the brokeback mountain camp session and screaming to the heaveans, proclaiming your gay love for one another

It's like at some point, Dorn was as fucking cool as Garrosh Helscream, then the next, he's the Yaoi-ham planet "Garrosh", as if the people writing him literally switched shifts inbetween his development.

Then there's the fucking girls 'supporting you' like I'm really in that awful atmosphere of unwanted ugly bitches who hang out in gay bars in the hopes of their gay 'friends' wanting a surrogate.

alignment meaning chaotic, lawful and neutral? I played through PS:T recently and didn't see how my alignment had much of an effect on the game, so I'm not sure what that means exactly

You are saying this as if in modern games all those things (or similar) would have improved

I played BG and BG2 both for the first time last year and did not care for them much at all. I couldn't even finish BG2 and ended up reading the rest of the story from an LP. There's nothing particularly compelling about the overarching story/plot. The characters are ok but nothing amazing, largely because they were let down by the consistently below average writing. Much of the dialogue is so overwritten that it comes off as silly. Meanwhile, the intentional humor is sophomoric at best. The quest design is incredibly simplistic - almost all of them are "fight your way to this item" or "clear X screen" with almost no choices on your part. This sucks because the combat is miserable. I don't understand how it's combat is so popular. The pathing and movement speeds are so squirrelly that for a simple fight you just watch the sprites scramble around until the enemies are dead. Harder fights (read:mages), you either hope you get your Horror/Confusion/etc off first or have to use a dispel, then it's back to watching sprites scramble around. If one of your chararcters got hit with a CC spell, you get to wait it out for a minute or two. Almost everyone has the opposite opinion, but I enjoyed PS:T combat more, which was slower paced to allow for positioning, and you had some ways to make Fighters more strategic like Litany of Curses. My favorite RTwP combat is Freedom Force, and PS:T comes closer than BG's blobby mess.

Most classic RPGs I've enjoyed. I've never been more disappointed than by the BG series, which is partially owing to hype. On the other hand, I can't think of others that I've ever decided not to finish.

its good and you wont notice the bad graphic after some time
its also harder than BG2
ADnD sucks if you are new, though

you tried Icewind Dale? would like to hear your opinions on that, I've heard it's combat heavy but how good the combat is is unknown to me

best RPG ever made (this and bg2

My thoughts. I prefer snappy blobber action rather than characters moving around, and Might and Magic 6-8 combines that with a very fun RTWP system.

I have not tried that one yet. I probably will one day, but given that story/characters is one of my higher priorities and I'm worried that ID combat will be very like BG, I've been reticent to try it.