Whenever open world games get discussed on this board, the maps are always either 'too small' or 'too big and empty'...

Whenever open world games get discussed on this board, the maps are always either 'too small' or 'too big and empty'. What would you say is a good open world map?

gothic 2

MGSV

Locations have to feel unique. It has to feel real and lived in. It has to be designed by hand, not by automated tools. It needs to be detailed. Points of interest shouldnd be throwaway checklist type locations. All this is needed to create a sense of place or it will fell artificial.

Thats why the map of Gothic 2 is very good. Even if it is small by todays standards. And all the TES maps feel like theme park rides.

vice city is good because its got 2 islands with different feels. a decent amount of interiors and variety. its not too small or big

unironically this

breath of the wild

there is no such thing

hubs/multi route levels ala deus ex or gtfo

Dense and scalibility. Most maps are flat. Buildings exist as props and you can't enter them and jump out from 20th floor

The Legend of Zelda

Bully

It was too small in my opinion. San Andreas had even more different feels around the map while still not being unreasonably large. It felt huge back then but in reality you could still traverse the entire length of the map in less than 5 minutes in a fast car, not to mention an aircraft.

CAR

CITY

CARPET

People often give GTAV's map shit for being "empty", but it checks the items on your list perfectly. I find it astonishing how much work was put into making GTAV's map a believable world. Same goes for GTAIV.

I think you're conflating different people's opinions.
I want a game where cities or towns are at a more realistic distance than how they're usually portrayed.

Perfect examples would be Fallout1/2. major cities are at least 1 day away on foot. This however becomes an issue when you want a perfect open world, i.e. no seams between areas. This concept is probably not viable for a long time if you want realistic distance, too.

An open world filled with things to do and interact with is much more important than a big empty expanse.

>vice city is good
Hahahahahaha

>being a contrarian faggot
hahahahahha

laugh at me all you want, this map is fucking beautiful to look at

ultima 7 map

extremely unironically this

tight enough that you got the hang around where everything was and each nook, cranny and forest was filled with some caves/hidden paths to explore, but big enough that there was a travel involved between locations that was fun because it wasn't too long

Actually such concepts from fallout 1 and 2 were perfect for open world titles. Rather than make a big boring area with some cool locations. You could craft specific/unique places that require you to travel to them.

The only good open world is the one in Xenoblade X.

If an open world is to be worth the trouble, it has to be huge, dangerous, original, filled with unique points of interest and devoid of copypaste.

BotW for example fails all but the first point despite being hailed as a masterpiece.

I agree that this is probably the optimal mediation between the two.
But I would like to play a game with "hubs" that are seamlessly connected.

lol no

Gothic 2 is garbage
You autistic fucks need to shut the fuck up

GTA V have a too big and empty world.
But they did a good job keeping you busy with dialogues while you're travelling so you don't feel bored of it.

Except BotW actually has organic quest progression.
In X, when you find a piece of the Lifehold Core during exploration, nothing fucking happens because the plot hasn't dictated that you're suppose to find it yet.
In BotW, if you go somewhere, you can do that location's story content regardless of your progression in other parts of the game.

Enough videogames, can someone explain how the entire fucking WORLD had one and the same car rug?

Both Vice City and GTA 3 have very nice feel to their maps. I think the first island of GTA 3 is my favorite.

I only ever saw it at doctor's offices or in other similar waiting rooms.
So you're basically asking why do all the boxes of nitrile gloves in the world say "Kimberly-Clark" on the side

pretty sure they only looked similar, mine wasn't exactly like the one in the OP

This.

I liked that each area had a kinda unique feel.
Plus getting over the ocean the first time (before you can fast travel) took a whole fucking day and felt like you actually travelled a long distance rather than a two minute swim.

I think the morrowind map is pretty solid

no, i know a guy from thailand that had that exact rug and i in austria still own mine

They're of a generic design that a ton of companies all printed.

Same reason why if you posted a picture of a yellow rubber ball with a smiley face on it, you'd get a bunch of people screaming "Omg nostalgiaaaaa".

It's a non-copyrighted design that fucking everyone produced en mass.

>People often give GTAV's map shit for being "empty", but it checks the items on your list perfectly
Yeah but it also has a massive 2/3 of the map that are basically nothing other than empty countryside and may as well have been cut out of the map if they weren't going to expand on them. That's why people call it "empty".