Does Sup Forums run overclocked?

Does Sup Forums run overclocked?

I overclock my soylent. I add two bottles to a pan. Put it on the stove. Boil it down to the volume of one bottle. BAM! Twice the meal replacement for one serve/ #thinkingoutsidethebottle

No, my 7700k is pretty hot without oc. And im using giant 1kg cooler. To oc it, i must go water.

My i5 2500k at 4.2ghz, from 3.2.

Not in this economy. No siree.

>eating people

Mildly.
8700k - 4.8 Ghz at 1.27V

Delis that shit.

My 4670k is at 4ghz on water, and I want to push it higher but I lack the software to properly test its stability
there is something out there that can tell you when the cpu is repeating instruction sets or something, resending things because they were out of sync, or errored in some fashion
this indicates instability

Overclocking is for techbabbies, i run activated almonds

1700 clocked to 3.8ghz.
290x that clocks all the way to a stupid 1200mhz but the power draw (and heat output) is so insane I only bust that out for the most demanding titles.

I overclock my ryzen 1700 to 3.7 ghz. I'm too scared to overclock it any further and it's not really necessary for my purposes anyway.

Mildly. [email protected], 1.2V. It's a nice balance of a performance boost without a notable temperature increase.

Have an i5 3570k, was like 3.5 at stock
Oc'd to 4.2 and noticed literally no difference

God i wish i could OC my i7 920. It's the D0 revision and this stupid motherboard doesn't support overclocking. At least my monitor is OC'ed.

Not since my latest chip, didn't bother since didn't need the OC. GPU capped anyways.

This was mine too, but I changed to Ryzen 1600 and am now too lazy to overclock again. I had to wait for am4 brackets for my CPU cooler and ended up being too lazy to setup it up 3 fucking months later when it finally arrived.

Yes.
I try to get the absolute maximum performance from my computer.
Components die or dont, rng has some impact but of you squeeze everything possible from them you will not be sorry when they stop working.

Yep, my 8700k is at 5Ghz 1.3v

W3680 @ 4.56ghz
Can push it harder if I need to, but I haven't yet.
When am I going to have to upgrade? I only went to this chip from my 930 since >Massive matrix work for uni

I54670k @ 4.5Ghz

i run my 6600k at 4.6ghz and my 970 at 1450core clock and 3780+ mem clock
feelsgoodman
and also hot, it warms up my room i dont need to pay for heating

>tfw R5 1600X @ 4.1 Ghz
Feelsgreatman, enjoy your spectre and meltdown shittelbabbies

I run a underclocked FAX 8350 with a Radeon HD5770
24gigs of RAM though

Might be a Sup Forums type of question, but what's the benefits and disadvantages to overclocking?

Building my first rig and people keep mentioning to do so, but I want it to last as long as possible and I worry about the potent threat of killing it faster.

Help an autist out?

4670k @ 4.2.

its a shame my chip is shit, cant really go past 4.2 without it becoming unstable even though my temps are good

Ryzen is vulnerable to spectre

Any shortening of your CPU's lifespan depends upon more running extra voltage through it. I'm not sure what current gen shit is like, but the first gen i7's on 1366, especially the 930, was notorious for being able to be overclocked stably at stock voltage or even undervolting (I used to run at 3.8ghz and an undervolt)
Benefits is speed. You won't need that if you are doing a modern build though. It's literally worthless outside of speeding up certain kinds of simulation work. However I doubt you are coding much shit in matlab/maple/shit for RL simulations in general.

Sell 8gb of that RAM and buy a decent cooler, ffs user

Is there even a game that stresses your CPU though? I wouldn't think so, unless it's a single thread whore like Arma 3

benefits:
runs faster, more performance per buck

disadvantages:
requires more power & runs hotter, might reduce the lifespan of your cpu slightly.

If you overclock but can't dissipate heat you'll either make your card slower because it's purposely running low to avoid burn out or actually blow your card. If you know what you're doing you can make a card work above it's potential and make a "low power" card perform just as well as something with higher specs.

desu today a minor overclock usually won't hurt the lifespan of your pc components whatsoever and it'll just help you squeeze more consistent performance. however it will increase temps which increases the chances of either a failure (not your pc breaking, just the drivers stopping for example) or poor performance when it gets throttled.

if you're doing this on your first rig make sure it has ventilation or liquid cooling for any serious overclocking, otherwise i recommend just minor overclocks that won't hurt your system components at all.

a lot of pc components are warranty voided by OCing so beware of that too

if its your first rig, dont bother with overclock
end of story
unless you can pay the extra money for more expensive components and you have a friend that you trust doing the oc for you and making it run stable
tl;dr dont bother with it

user here, Most I'll be using it for is to play mostly fighting games, newer releases, and working in Blender.

i dont want to die

Civ6 is pretty good CPU game.

1600X at 4.0

not really no, shit optimized games like modded skyrim.
also gta 5 asks for a lot but it can keep up.

yes but who would play 6 over 5 in the current year of our lord.

user here again, I wont bother then, mostly because my room already runs hot due to an older house, and for example my Xbone, already doubles as a space heater during winter months.

Thanks all.

no to poor for replacement parts or water

Battlefield 1 & Warhammer Vermintide are CPU killers.

>OC
>Requiring replacement parts or water cooling
Nice bait.

I did for the shits and giggles then reset it. i7-4790k at 5.2ghz

Vega 56 on water

Emulated games are really CPU intensive.
Try some really heavy ones like The Last Story on Dolphin.

I'm actually building my first pc today lol

For the hot paste is it true u use a pea assessed about our a marble sized amount?

Also do i have to freaking but the expensive paste, my brother told me any sort of gummy substance works as long as it feels cold. We have various types of playdough/goo around the house

Played Vermintide, doesn't max out my CPU and I'm running older shit than him. Then again my stuff is overclocked to the point where it benchmarks around Ryzen 1600/i7-3960X levels.

pea sized, too much is not good. plus dont get any on the motherboard as it conducts.I did and it fried my board

my computer can run overclocked my favorite is mercy

>We have various types of playdough/goo around the house
This is bait.
I most coolers have paste pre-applied. They usually do the job

user, I've just gone from an fx8350 with a stocl fan to an i58600k with a new cooler, please take it from me, at least get a new cooler, a running jet engine is better than that POS

you know EVERY CPU in the past like, 15 years, is vulnerable right?

Regardless, 8700k at 4.9GHz on liquid. Too much of a bitch to delid this fucker and go for 5.1.

you can easily run 4.5

Is Overclocked good?

>You won't need that if you are doing a modern build though.
There are games that greatly benefit from CPU.

my ryzen 1600 is at 3.6 on stock cooler and still silent as fuck.

i love these magical processors and stock coolers

Just use Prime95

AwWWW YOU CAUGHT ME ANONYMOUS™

I bet you guys don't even delid, hah.

i5 4690k, from 3.8 boost clock to 4.4
My chip is pretty mediocre, I had to pump it to 1.28v to be stable, but since it stays cool enough that's fine

There is a chart floating around on Sup Forums somewhere with different kinds of paste, basically the basic stuff is all similar and will perform decent, you can use household items like mayo / toothpaste / jizz and it will work just as well, for a while, and then it dries out and doesnt work anymore.
The higher end stuff does make a couple of degrees difference but thats more noticeable if you have high end cooling to begin with.

dont listen to this guy, pre applied paste is shit and theres too much of it on there. pre applied = pre dried out.

I really can't think of any games that will max out a 7800X or equivalent.
Feel free to correct me though.

>7700k
I'm on the same boat. What is your idle temp?

getting the most out of my toaster

I don't know how to overclock. I don't want to melt my shit either because I use the stock CPU fan.

Been running a 3570k at 4.8ghz since I bought it, don't understand people who shell out for a k processor and aftermarket cooler just to run at stock clocks

>tfw 4.3 on 1.22v is stable
>4.4 is unstable and I need at least 1.30v

Pic related while running the cpu-z stresstest

>I don't know how to overclock.
Me neither. Good thing I know an autist who participate in OC contests and can give me the right instructions.

Well, it all depends on your overall system anyway. If your GPU is the limit the CPU won't be stressed. I'm on a 1080ti and all the cores on my 1600x are doing work in Vermintide.
But on my old system, 2500k with 980ti the cpu was actually getting maxed.

Planetside 2 maxed out possibly could

>tfw my 1600x idles at almost double the vid at the same temp

You guys say that an OC can decrease the life span of a CPU. So what happens, it just suddenly stops working or does it gradually decrease performance?

both

Its not about going wide, its about going narrow and fast.

i5 4690k at 3.9GHz. I'm going to up it to 4.0GHz, but can I run safely at 4.5GHz?

single thread performance matters m8

Some can get up to 4.7, others crap out at 4.3, 4.2 should be doable on about every chip though as long as you have third party cooling solutions
I'm , took me a while to get there, lots of trial&error involved, though I'm not very experienced at overclocking
As long as you stay below ~1.3v with good temps under 70 when stressed you should be fine

I had to go back to default clock values because fucking Vray crashes the OS with overclock.
Too bad because I notice speed increase in certain calculations with overclock, and I do them more often than using Vray.

>mfw my CPU goes up to 70-80 degree under load
Is this still ok?

If you don't necessarily plan to keep it to obsolence

That's more than fine. Mine sat around 95C at load for 6 years and is still kicking 2 years after that.

a sandy bridge reaches its threshold at like 100+ degrees, you're fine

which cpu ? what clocks ? what volts ?
have you checked if the cooler works ?
changed thermal paste in the last 2 years ?
thats why /g calls you retards ,you post a problem without enough info to solve it

Is it something you do with shit hardware? When do you need to do it with top of the line cards?

GPUs from 3rd party manufacturers like Asus and Gigabyte come factory overclocked and there shouldn't be a need to overclock them any further unless you are really desperate for like a 3% performance increase.

8700k @ 5.3ghz 1.38v, rock solid, temps under 80c at full load, actually won the silicone lottery for the first time.

Delidded 7700k with h115i v2, 4.8-5ghz runs at 30c idle and 55c full load
1080ti asus 2050mhz core/11,000mhz memory stays at 65c full load
Silent fan profiles for both, gpu fans dont kick on till 60c and stay below 900rpm, aio and case fans stay at 900rpm constantly.

>Sup Forums
Sup Forums is full of retards on a high horse.
But you are right a few more infos would be better. You can still tell him that this is average as a rule of thump for temps.

Thank you anons

It is a 7700k I bought 8 months ago at stock clocks and with a working shadow rock slim cooler.

since when 80degrees is average ?
we still talk about 80 celcius right ?
my 6600k at 4.6 is at 70 max

80 is high.
60-70 on full load is average.

ok let me reprhase my sentence or you gonna sperg all day
>You can still tell him that everything under 80c is ok as a rule of thump for temps for a modern CPU
And if you gonna sperg another time because you think this is wrong, I'm not gonna reply anymore.

3770k @ 4.4 GHz
I could have easily pushed it even further but the temps keep raising for about +10 degrees for every extra 100 MHz. I'd rather keep my system running cool and quiet, it's not like there's much performance difference.

7700k is the origin of the delid this meme ,but you better reapply thermal paste
its not in danger of melting or anything, just not the optimal

cancer to your father, 80c on stock clocks is too much, if you think thats ok, go suck intel's dick again goyim

I've been running mine at 4GHz for years on a $20 212 evo, I never seen it hotter than 60 °C even emulating BotW recently, its an awesome processor.

>7700k is the origin of the delid this meme ,but you better reapply thermal paste
>its not in danger of melting or anything, just not the optimal

I always thought that maybe the Cooler is just not good enough?

i7 6700K running at 4.6 MHz at 1.4V

This is with a Corsair h100i, getting a Dark Rock Pro 3 on Monday to see it will still run the same temps with air.