Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums
Is this a good entry point for someone who hasn't ever been able to get into JRPGs? I've played a few japanese turn based games before (maily old FF), but couldn't get into them due to the tedious combat.

Nah this is gonna turn you off very fast

No.

Why?

To be honest it's the closest JRPGs ever got to KotOR/Dragon Age style gameplay.

Battle system is more like some WRPGs, like said. If you like that it's probably good

XII was my first FF game, and I played it when I was about 14, and to this day it remains my all time favourite game

it has flaws, and you can miss huge swathes of content if you don't have a strategy guide, but fuck me it's just so much fun

XII has the best level design in the series
Probably has the largest world despite the region only being small
It has the most consistent, realised art style in the series
Best voice acting and dialogue in the series
Arguably the most content in the series
It's the most mature game
I think it probably has the most weapons and armor to choose from in the series
Although the battle system isn't the best, the most effort seems to have homme into it

>Best voice acting and dialogue in the series
normally I'm one of those japanese > english guys, but I do agree with this point. Hiring shakespearean actors to do the voice acting was a smart move by square-enix

GIVE ME THE FUCKING CRACK ALREADY, I'VE BEEN BUILDING MY PARTY SINCE THE CONSOLE ANNOUNCEMENT

I was ready to buy this shit but the 40€ price tag is retarded

It really depends on the game, this one is not turn based, so maybe that facilitates the transition from other games you play?

>being poor
>not spending money to support a port of a game you enjoy

I pirate as much as the next guy but come on man

30$ on Green Man Gaming if you use the code JUSTFORYOU
Won't be cracked for at least half a year since Denuvo 4.8 isn't fully cracked yet and this is using Denuvo 5.0

>paying 40€ for a 12year old videogame rerelease

Except it's not just a re-release, it has substantially improved visuals and drastically overhauled gameplay. You can't emulate the same experience, even if you were to emulate IZJS, Zodiac has even more gameplay features than IZJS including dual classing which wasn't present in IZJS.
Kill yourself poorshit.

>Supporting Jewish tricks

Start with X. Can't go wrong

X is the most tired generic JRPG combat system, he wants something more WRPG like so FF12 is literally the best he can go with seeing as the game plays extremely similar to KotOR and Dragon Age Origins mechanically and the plot is full blown Westaboo.

This.

>drastically overhauled gameplay

Wow, you get to choose 2 classes instead of one.

That's so drastic!

worst ff i have played

They changed balancing and loot distribution as well, it doesn't use IZJS loot placement. Loot chests are moved around again and loot tables are changed. It has a ton of under the hood changes.

Chrono Trigger.

Reposting
Been seeing a lot of FF threads so I'll let you know which ones to stay away from
>FF
Outdated
>FFII
Literally no one defends this game
>FFIII
Grindfest
>FFV
Good battle system, shit everything else
>FFVI
Everyone will tell you this is best but there are like 15 party characters and no voice acting so more reading than gameplay
>FFVII
Might as well wait for the remake if you're one of the 5 people who haven't played yet
>FFVIII
Needs fanfiction to make sense also very easy to break balance
>FFX
HAHAHAHAHA hallway
>FF13
20 hour tutorial

Now many autists may disagree but my opinions are correct. Here are some you may enjoy, they are not perfect but they're good

IV (ds)
IX (windows or android)
XII (windows on NG-)
XV (windows or xbx)
VII if you don't want to wait for the remake

That actually makes a big difference, weren't you the one who was talking about "building your party" in the first place? There are also other gameplay things that got changed, and those changes were demanded exactly by the people who played IZJS.

Man, that looks infinitely better than when I emulated IZJS. I still haven't started TZA though, I remember the first hours being a boring slog and that puts me off.

There is literally a 4x speed up mode in this, you can blaze through the early stuff in no time flat.

4 is shit, one of the worst stories I've witnessed in gaming and it doesn't offer anything else.

you must be thinking of another game

I'd say VI, VII, IX or X are the best entry points.

XII is more in the FFT vein, but it is bloody fantastic. It has the best system mechanics in the series in my opinion.

The original release had three major flaws. First off, Vaan's design is very off-putting to the target audience (you want to punch his big baby face). second, the license board wasn't fully realized, creating a party of six optimized clones. Finally, the game plays a bit slow, especially when you are just grinding or moving through familiar areas.

The zodiac version fixes almost everything. Vaan gets slightly updated textures that makes him look less, eh, weird. The job system creates more dynamic team building. And the speed up button makes sidequesting less of a chore.

The only thing I miss is the option to turn off the secondary job. Yeah, you can self-impose the limitation on yourself, but I'd preferred it as an original game mode instead.

Honestly I blame the games lackluster reception mostly on Vaan's face. If they'd made him more of an Amano bishi instead giving him a literal baby face and if he'd had a slightly larger vest that was actually buttoned, the game would have fared much better.

The fucked up part is they were forced to make a fem MC because the suits thought it would sell better. Vaan wasn't even the original choice

Thanks for the answers guys, I will get the game.

I personally like Vaan as a character. It's just that the face is atrocious (the clothes I can live with).

Anyway, Vaan not being the original choice is a bit of an urban myth. Though the idea of Basch is said to have been created before Basch in very early production, Vaan was always intended as the protagonist. He is the Ishmael of the party that has a connection with every other party member.

Pity about the face though because every other party member looks pretty good.

As much as I do like the game, it's very slow to start

Have fun user!

When can I give characters a second class?

>recommending NG- to people who haven't played a FF before

Only played the original, never did the job system. Is it possible to fuck up what jobs I choose and I should preplan, or should I just go with what I want?

>IV (ds)
Retarded looking characters
>IX (windows or android)
Retarded story, power of friendship Cliche garbage
>XII (windows on NG-)
RNG game literally plays itself
>XV (windows or xbx)
Utter trash in all regards, early access forever
>VII if you don't want to wait for the remake
Dated as hell

Does someone have that good job combo post?

It's a fucking JRPG, you can pick absolute worst everything and still beat the game's superboss, just go with what you want and don't be a minmax autist in a game that doesn't require minmaxing.

Go with what you want, the game is easy enough and the bad combinations are few and still serviceable.

>Is this a good entry point for someone who hasn't ever been able to get into JRPGs? I've played a few japanese turn based games before (maily old FF), but couldn't get into them due to the tedious combat.
Nigga, if you don't like turn-based JRPGs you might as well quit while you're ahead.
You're not gonna be able to play some of the best that JRPGs have to offer.

Are you a HAHA fag?

After the tomb of Raithwall

Thanks!

Actually you can fuck up your jobs in XII zodiac edition. Some late game stuff is a hell of a lot easier with certain weapons and skills that only certain jobs have and if you get it wrong it can be pretty frustrating

Easily the best story too. It's 'Final Fantasy does Star Wars' and it completely works.

>no cool non-humans in the party

Why?

Yes, I know there is Fran, but she basically is a tall human girl with bunny ears.

Don't get me wrong I play slow games like grand strategy, CIV or even some old WRPG with turn based combat, but there's just something with japanese games that makes them boring to watch and play, like spell animations that usually look out of place and too slow. It's hard to explain but it's an uncomfortable feeling.

I bought the game, how the fuck do I even play it? I've looked all around the settings and can't find a gosh darn download page.

No I get it
>wait for random encounter to load
>wait for your turn
>wait for animation to finish

Furthermore, the japanese do tend to make atrocious particle effects for their spells. They look too guady and often clash with the rest of the art direction.

You go to your email and you should have a cdkey there which you activate on Steam.

FF12 had a pretty small cast in general and even then it was bloated with the addition of Vaan and Penolo near the end of development.
I still would have liked a lizard buddy.

XII is pretty much as breakable as VIII. NG- negates that until the 2nd jobs become available at least.

>Final Fantasy does Star Wars
>no overarching love story
>smaller, focused conflict, no "lets save the world with crystals" crap
>great plot twist in that the heroes and the villains basically have the same goal

In paper the story is top tier, but you can't deny the execution wasn't that great.

Yes, it is breakable if you use certain combinations and minmax. But recommending this to people brand new to RPGs is fucking insane as they can easily prevent themselves from playing the game unless they do their research.

It would have been grrat if Matsuno had made the whole thing instead of leaving in the middle.

>>great plot twist in that the heroes and the villains basically have the same goal

I wish we had seen more of Venat, because he was pretty fucking cool and totally dindu nuthin.

Yes, it doesn't play like most JRPGs so it's a very good entry.

Also the story is not some weeb sob story and the game has excellent voice acting

>It has the most consistent, realised art style in the series
what the fuck does that even mean?

>tfw Balthier isn't the lead since Japanese throw hissyfits if their protagonist isn't a twink teenager

Absolute shame. Larsa was supposed to be a party member too, but they had to shove him out for the two useless street urchins - even though Penello's ass was my go to fap material at 14.

I originally bought the ps2 version so I had no gripes about buying the game again even tho I have emulated.

I never did have the zodiac job system version and I get better graphics.

I'm all into this make a different version but with better graphics and stuff I'm willing to pay for good games remastered like this and better yet if they were remade

It means that the designs never look out of place and that they've made certain that every place actually "fills out" with the necessary details.

I mean, just look at the interior of the weapon shops. They could have made them much simpler.

With that said I think VII has the most consistent and realized art style.

The normal game is just too easy man, don't assume OP is a baby he might get knocked on his ass at first but he'll figure out the systems

>Fran admits leaving muh forest was a mistake
>those two Vieras you meet again and again during the game find the world outside the forest dull and shitty, only the ocean was kinda interesting to them
>that one Viera in Rabanastre who bitches about everything
>Viera village basically is full of 'orrible cunts

I'd still fuck them, but jesus christ, FFXII worked hard to make me dislike Vieras.

Well, at least is funny that the sole Viera who was happy was that one that basically had a human fetish.

Have you even emulated it? The remaster just fucks with the textures and blurs everything else.

which combos?
I've already heard about shikari/bushi but fuck that, I'm not playing a melee character without heavy armor just so he can become OP the last couple hours of the game

>XII has the best level design in the series
>Probably has the largest world despite the region only being small
Literally padded paths with none of the areas being cool to explore. The only kind of interesting area was Fran's hometown since she opened a secret magical path but that arc was just short and boring.
>It has the most consistent, realised art style in the series
How? It's FFT lite, FFT or the PS1 games have much better art than this game does.
>Arguably the most content in the series
MMO tier content.
>It's the most mature game
???? You can sum it up as muh dusk shards, what's mature about this? No one even dies.

>what's mature about this? No one even dies
This part made me laugh.
Not, I'm not the user you are replying to.

I get where you're coming from but a "mature" story about politics, revenge, etc often has mature themes such as death. I can't think of a single mature theme in this game. Though I did forget that Basch's brother dies but that entire character was done so poorly, who even cares.

>no voice acting as a negative
Opinion discarded

>often has mature themes such as death
They have deaths, not death as theme, it's completely different and there is no necessary link between death and "mature" and at all.
Anyway, that guy said MOST, as talking about the FF group of works, not that it's mature in whatever conventional absolute sense you choose.

Funny you say that, since Dragon Age basically copied from XII.

Every FF apes Star Wars.

>Dragon Age basically copied from XII.
Yeah, it's not like KotOR is older than both and from the same guys.

Is it true that the mechanist is a worthless class?

Just play with all the jobs, don't listen to the minmax faggots.

Yes, don't listen to this faggot

>Bangaa city guards patrolling the Sands
>can't recruit Monid or any other characters into the party

Feels bad.

What else would help Fran out?

It's not the most mature no matter how you look at it.
>street urchin teen saves the princess and becomes a sky pirate just like he always dreamed

My face buried between her thighs

>street urchin teen saves the princess and becomes a sky pirate just like he always dreamed
>that should mean anything.
Be honest, how old are you?

Not worthless but a min/maxxer would not choose it.

Fran makes a good Machinist since she looks great holding guns. You could make her a Red Mage to compensate though.

The 4x speed game, makes its an immensely more enjoyable experience. It speeds up the grind by a considerable amount. I wish all JRPGs had this system.

And at 25 you still think that death=mature death theme, "it has some classic adventure GENERAL subplotline stucture" = "it can't be relatively more mature than other fantasy stories"?
Dude, the hell, is that the power of some american mindset.

Are you going to offer up an argument or?

>pointing out that "it has some classic adventure GENERAL subplotline stucture" = "it can't be relatively more mature than other fantasy stories" is a goddamn idiocy is not an argument.
Alright, last (You) from me.

Red Mage/Machinist go well together?

I actually have no idea how the classes mesh, is there a chart somewhere? I'm no minmaxer, but I want to make sure I don't turn someone useless

I went with Archer/Red Mage for Frann and Machinist/White Mage for Balthier, works well.

works well and it looks plausible characters-wise*

Fran and Balthier have the slowest attack animations for their respective "default" weapons, but its such a negligible difference I'm surprised anyone even noticed. That said, I'm the type who likes to mix things up and give characters weapons outside their "designated" classes. Not like it affects much in the game.

It's not negligible, that's why people noticed.

absolutely destroyed. Nicely done.

But he didn't offer up an argument.

Same, I fucking love it, and I love the re-master too, feels like the same game but with just a few quality of life touches. it's great