Are gba games peak 2D art ? I swear games like Minish Cap, the Kanto remakes and Metroid Fusion are gorgeous...

Are gba games peak 2D art ? I swear games like Minish Cap, the Kanto remakes and Metroid Fusion are gorgeous. What are your favourite exemples ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HDWfWN1u0_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=vVvpkNMnWcs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hyper Light Drifter art is amazing

Recently, Iconoclasts is pretty high tier

32-bit is fab yeah

FRLG are ugly as sin though.

I think so, yeah. Also DS games that stuck with 2D sprites.

left or right?

left fucking right

Pokémon games pretty much always look terrible compared to other games released at the same time on the same hardware. I think HGSS, BW and BW2 are probably the only really good looking Pokémon games.

Man Minish Cap is the prettiest Zelda game by far.

Best overworld look is gen 5
Best sprites is gen 4
Best animations is gen 3

>Best animations is gen 3
you misspelled gen 2.

agreed

PS1 sprite based games shit all over 99% of other 2D games. Can't get any better than stuff like SotN and Legend of Mana

>PS1 sprite based games shit all over 99% of other 2D games

I mean, it's a 3D machine, of course it will shit on 32-bit systems.

Then don't claim GBA is peak 2D art

>Pixel shit is amazing

>the Kanto remakes are gorgeous

The only Zelda I finished.
Emulated on PSP.
Abused save state on final boss.

Snes or saturn are objectively the best.

Don't mind me, just mentioning the true Prettiest 2D Game here ever:

youtube.com/watch?v=HDWfWN1u0_Y

Nope, SNES games are. I've noticed any series with a game on both SNES and GBA will always have the SNES game look better. But really SOTN looks better than anything on both.

With all the 2D indie games that have come out in recent years this is definitely not true. They're still pretty and have charm but Hollow Knight, Owlboy and Ori jump to mind as games that look better imo

Breath of Fire IV would be my pick tbqh

That's mostly due to the resolution and need to overcompensate for the lack of a backlight though.

Capcom used to be literal gods of sprite animation.

SNK had better art but most of their best looking animation was basic tweening shit.

This is the only game I can think of where the 3D doesn't look weird compared to the 2D stuff.

Used for horrifying effect in that place where Cray's waifu is..

I don't know why we can't have more games like this instead of meme pixels. I can't even think of another one besides Cuphead.

This

Minish Cap is great when they actually do sprite-art backgrounds instead of tilesets.
Mother 3 is probably the best though, given it was a moonlight release in the GBA's lifecycle and came after 12 years in development. It's very much the antithesis to Duke Nukem Forever in that respect.

The Ducktales remake
youtube.com/watch?v=vVvpkNMnWcs

There's a lot of 2d non-pixel games but they generally look like cheap flash.

gen 2 had reaally good sprites
or just nostalgia

Not really since everything but the characters is 3D

You might be able to claim the GBA has the greatest concentration of good sprite-based games or something (and that'd still be debatable because SNES), but not really that it is the peak, no.

The Mario & Luigi 3DS games.

Right with left's color scheme.

Wario Land 4, still looks amazing to this day

too bad is fell victim to the bleached trend to counter gba's shit display

kino coming through

Right. People who say left are just nostalgiafags

fuck man minish cap is great

This, maybe left's hud as well.

emulate it and you can play it with shaders that fix that issue

At least it doesn't look like garbage like Celeste or whatever that new indie game is called.

No, toddler.

That's what dedication and hard work gives you.

2D Sprites has a low skill floor while 2D Drawings actually means you need to actually draw.

I mean it's good but I honestly don't think it's impressive. The techniques they use are nothing special, maybe it looks better in motion so I might be talking outta my ass here.

I feel like the Minish Cap is probably the basis for a LOT of pixel artists making indie games. Its style can be seen all over.

It looks even better in motion.

GBA games have a washed out colour pallete due to the shitty screen. SNES and even certain GBC games look better.

Why are you even in this thread if you don't like the art styles being discussed