Have you ever beaten a game without knowing a key mechanic of it?

Have you ever beaten a game without knowing a key mechanic of it?

I beat FTL without knowing you can give orders while paused. It was hard as fuck.

I played up until like level 40ish in FF14 without knowing you could fast travel to aetherite shards. I just assumed you were supposed to take the airships and chocobo handlers to get to where you wanted.

I beat "Going Home" without knowing it was an actual game.

I wanna fuck that cheetah.

Kind of. The first time I played animal crossing it took me about a month to realize you could sell more than one item at once.

I beat Mario 64 without knowing you could press a to jump.

The problem here is that if I beat the game without knowing the mechanic, I still probably don't know if I did or not.

Mgs3 without CQC

Legends speak about heroic individuals defeating Christopher Robin without upgrades.

When I was a kid playing pokemon I never looked at my pokemon's summaries because for some fucking reason I thought summary meant release. It took until crystal for me to realize it how dumb I was

What a cute cat :3

I beat The Getaway without knowing you could heal. That game doesn't tell you a damn thing.

I didn't know you could use flares to fool the alien in Alien Isolation. I thought they were needed for dark areas but since I had a flaslight I just never used them

FFT without knowing how most of the systems work

not eaxactly beaten, but I was in Tier 4 (out of 5) of American tech tree in War Thunder when I learned that flaps are for more than just takeoff and landing.

Thanks OP that gave me a good laugh.
I got through about halfway Hollow Knight without figuring out how to get in the menu screen playing with a controller. There's simply wasn't a button for that. So, no charm equipping...

I'm guessing you confused it with "summary dismissal" right?

I played Half-Life until you had to do the long jump thing. I don't think I played the tutorial. Never understood how to proceed other than to use noclip.

Pokemon Ruby. Didn't know you could put your mons in the PC.

My team was:
Gardevoir
Blaziken
Zigzagoon
Aggron
Aron
Aron

I went through 2/3rds of Dark Souls without knowing that you could run in that game.

i hope we build robots that are almost identical to animals like this so that we can play with them without worrying about them attacking us

I 100% both kingdom hearts 1 and 2 without knowing you could switch keyblades.

I played most of BioShock Infinite without realizing the in-game menu was accessible by pressing O. Every loading screen that told me outfit changes and objectives can be viewed in the in-game menu failed to mention how to access said menu. I kept searching for machines to let me change it up.
I decided to look up the keybindings around when you go to the alternate dimension where the city is shit and you walk through the slums and see a kid drink booze with modeling and animation that would fit Black & White. Realizing I have no reason to switch my clothing, otherwise I'd switch it when I got new articles, I never opened the in-game menu again.

I beat Half-Life (1) without knowing your could do Long jumps later in the game. I used Rocket/Grenade/Mine/etc. jumps instead.

YOU CAN GIVE ORDERS WHILE PAUSED?

I beat EYE Divine Cybermancy.

I still don't know.

you two should fuck

I beat kirby's dreamland 2 without know of the copy mechanic. I just assumed the game worked like the first one.
I only found out about kirby's copy ability through smash and playing kirby super star on an emulator years later.

I beat this without realizing auto aim was a thing. I thought you had to stand in place and manually aim at every enemy, like the original US release of Resident Evil.
I was pissed when I found out you could auto aim, move, and shoot, all at the same time.

I didn't know you could heal party members outside of battles in Persona 5.
It was inconvenient but not much harder.

>One cheated and the other found legit ways around the problem

It would be a hatefuck at best.

That's a solid team, user

I don't think it really would count as not knowing, but when I played runescape classic as a kid I was too dumb to understand how to use the bank so I basically did everything with only my inventory

I beat FFVII the first time without realizing that you can skip character turns. I beat FFVII twice without realizing that you can flee from battle. yeah the combat is too easy

I didn't know you could press a button during attacks for maximum damage in lisa the joyful
it didn't really matter after you get the ability to heal, but christ this game was a nightmare before that ability

I beat Half-Life 1 without using the mouse because I didn't yet know that one would play non-strategy games with a mouse.

>Didn't touch the mouse even once when in the game ever

Sure thing bud.

I've beaten The Getaway without knowing you can self-heal by leaning on the wall.
Bloody good game, but man do controls suuuuuuuuck

I beat NG04 without knowing about onlanding UT

Running is mostly incase you get to a wrong place with OP enemies, or when youre overleveled as hell and want to skip combat

>3 of the aron family

the funny thing is, that HMwise you had all that you needed

It’s entirely optional, but I went through Sonic CD not knowing how the time posts worked. I just accepted that at seemingly random points in the game I would get transported forwards or backwards in time.

Dead rising on a non hdtv so essentially any instructions

Beat COD ww2 campaign without knowing about squadmate abilities until the last level

Bloodborne without parying or using something else than the two handed holy blade
Played more than 1000 hours of lol before noticing that the Q click exist (still don't use it though)

>without knowing you can give orders while paused

I played Lemmings the same way as a kid. Fucked my shit up but I think now my reflexes are razor sharp because of it.

I got pretty far in Stardew Valley by selling my crops at the general goods store instead of using that dumpster next to the house to sell it.

Dark Souls without any parries for backstabs went fine for me. I'm not sure I'll ever understand the crowd that insist on how vital they are for PVE.

>no fly
I mean, I guess it's not /needed/, but still

You can only pause and give orders in certain variants of the game.

Sanic CD is shit anyway.

Which is funnily enough, now a game mode in OSRS. Ultimate Ironman, do everything yourself without a bank.

Played Nu-Doom on Nightmare without using the chainsaw. Didn't know it was a one hit kill, I thought it was just a useless weapon.

The original retail release of Half-Life 1 really did have a checkmark in the options for mouse aiming. By default the game had soft lock autoaiming enabled and mouse aiming disabled. The stupid 10yo me really did play all the way through the game with keyboard controls only. Arrow keys to move, space to jump, ctrl to shoot, enter to activate, backspace to reload, pageup and pagedn to tilt up and down, etc. My friend that borrowed the game to me couldn't believe it either.

>mouse aiming disabled by default in retail release

I really don't believe you, at all. I had the disc retail release but of course I can't honestly remember if I clicked any settings before playing with the mouse but I highly doubt it.

I don't think there's an easy way to prove either side of the argument so I'll just leave it with my doubts.

Tales of Symphonia multiple times without having any idea how unison attacks worked.

MGS1 (+ Twin Snakes) and 2 without knowing choking existed.

F.E.A.R. without bullet time. Somehow forgot it existed and never really needed it.

All I can say is that I really did not know that 3d games could be played using the mouse because I had only played pre-95 release Doom and Dark Forces. Even if HL1 did have default mouse aiming enabled, apparently I never noticed and just played using the keyboard.

Might be wrong, but I don't think the mouse aiming was disabled by default. but it was like 20 years ago so who the fuck remembers

More like the opposite, really.
Played through AssCreed using only throwing knives, assassinations and counter attacks. Made the game easier, but longer, honestly.

I got up to the Shinra elevator boss in FF7 without using materia at all. I was a retarded kid and just mashed through all the tutorials.

Uh... it's the start-button. Like it has been since the NES.

Didn’t understand Smash attacks in Melee until after I had all characters and stages.

>knowing you can give orders while pause
i didn't know that.

It’s not vital for PvE, it literally just introduces unnecessary risk to fights that mostly come down to attrition.

Beat Diablo 2 without knowing you can Sprint

Beat tails in the sky FC without knowing about scraft using outside your turn

Yes I might be retarded

I beat Oblivion without knowing you could install mods

>Tfw beat doom without shooting
>Tfw beat Mario without jumping

Combats feel way better without bullet time.

What are you talking about, retard?

>actually managed to up with the level scaling and all the other retarded non-sense

you absolute madman

That's literally a mechanic from the first Final Fantasy though, how?

Cheetahs are really easy to tame, actually. Of course, I'm not saying there's no risk but they don't have the stronf instinct to pounce on something whenever it gives them their backs or crouches like big cats do.

I beat dragon ball z: buus fury without knowing you could spend attribute points. I don't know how kid me had the patience to do that shit.

Same here...I had no idea the how or why. Still kinda don't. Just go fast?

I never climbed that mountain in Skyrim so I honestly cannot participate in Todd-the-liar threads.

I beat Lego Racers without power sliding.

Yes, even Rocket Racer.I was dumb but determined.

I beat Mario 64 not knowing I could turn a half A press into a full A press

Pannenkoek get back to glitch hunting.

This was me as well

You have to maintain momentum immediately after passing a post for like five seconds or so. If you stop, you have to find a different post.

>choking
yeah same, I thought you can't kill people without a weapon since if you just beat them they get back up

Same lmao

That was me, but only after Riovanes, I then decided to check the instructions.

I beat Revengeance without knowing of the upgrades menu.

easy mode bitch nigga detected

Same. When I explained I beat The Boss without CQC, my buddy thought I was full of shit.

I beat Final Fantasy X with basically nothing from the sphere grid because I forgot about it after the tutorial bit about it.

I beat Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones as a kid without knowing about the weapon triangle
but that's probably just proof that it's easy for an FE game

beat RE4 without upgrading my case, I forgot about it

I still dont know how to use magic in any soulsborne game

Beaten DaS twice without finding Vamos and without summons. I just went hollow really quick and didn't knew i could summon.
Beaten DaS2 not knowing about powerstance.
Discovered that you can do special moves with any weapon in DaS3 only on my 3rd playthrough.
Also never ever tried to parry. So every my playthrough is a survivle struggle. Tbqh im really bad at those games.

Considering how loaded the beginning of P5 was with tutorials, there's no way they didn't blatantly tell you that

>game is frontloaded with tutorials
>surprised that someone skipped over or forgot a mechanic

Beat doom3 without sprint, using grenades for long jump (only needed to do that once). Later i found out that yellow thing is stamina bar.

I played Baldur's Gate when I was a kid without realizing that you didn't have to run with the Imoen - Montaron - Xzar - Khalid - Jaheira party

>Diablo 2
>Sprint
em what

My first pokemon game was a bootleg Blue without a save battery, everyday I would go as far as Brock or Misty.
Then my father got me a legitimate Silver. I beat it without knowing any English, got to the fourth gym without using another Pokemon besides Totodile, I didn't know how to rearrange their orders

WAIT YOU CAN FUCKING DO THAT?!?!
>guess what im gonna buy again ffs

What is powersliding??? I beat whole game only buy knowing shortcuts and gathering teleport powers.

Didn't beat, but got to that big lobster looking sinspawn on the cliff in FFX without knowing how to use the sphere grid. I asked some dude at the community center to help me beat it and he was wondering how the hell I made it that far.