Awful games you liked as a kid

Dungeon siege is fucking terrible...it was also the very first dungeon crawler I ever played. The majority of the game is one long hallway with a few branches that separate for about 100 yards before bringing you back to the same hallway. Gameplay was literally just sitting and waiting for your party to kill everything automatically while occasionally feeding them health and magic potions. The story was basically non-existant and none of the characters had a personality beyond their initial dialogue. The whole thing was a shitty baldurs gate rip off (which I didnt play until adulthood) and yet for some reason I ate this shit up. Even now I still kind of like it and I have no idea why.

Are there any games that Sup Forums feels the same way about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Rwks61-910c?t=32m35s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Dungeon siege is fucking terrible
Can confirm, it's complete and utter dogshit. I love playing melee classes and guess what, you spend the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME literally autoattacking as a melee class. This game was released TWO FUCKING YEARS after Diablo 2, there is literally no excuse for this shit. Also, the entire DS fanbase consists of brain-dead genetic trash. How can you think that such dogshit is good? It's fucking mind-boggling. "Muh open world" is not an argument, because the world is far from open and consists of linearly connected areas filled with trash mobs. It was also absolutely hilarious to see DS shitters shit on DS3 - a game with great boss design and sure as fuck better character skillsets than both 1&2 simply because the game was linear... while ignoring the fact that both DS1&2 are also linear trash, except with "corridors" being a little bit wider.

Fuck this shit game and fuck the shit "fanbase". They can all burn in hell.

welp, guess I'll try DS3

Does/did anyone actually like dungeon siege for dungeon siege though?
Most of the praise I've seen is more for games that use it as a base, like Ultima 5 Lazarus.

is dungeon siege 1 really that bad?

played it way back when and thought it was a nice 3d diablo

I tried Dungeon Siege like a year ago after watching Ross's review. It got very boring and stale so I quit playing it. Left it on the harddrive for another half a year or so and then deleted it.

I honestly have no idea why I like it. Nothing you said is incorrect.

Yes. I can't think of one redeeming quality except maybe that the loot was plentiful and sometimes you'd find and interesting combat spell. Otherwise it's just hallway and auto-combat

Yeah, it's a snorefest. Like people said, you send people into meele-range and let them autoattack and from time to time sip on a potion.
The most entertaining way I found to play it was to go all ranged. You mostly oneshot everything but at least you have to micro-manage your positioning.

Other than the good graphics for its time, this game is really stale.
But when i was a kid this shit blew my mind because i went from a computer with i386 playing games like Wolfenstein 3D, to a computer that could run this bad-boy on highest graphics.

I just don't know how I could play the game with such shitty controls, let alone enjoy it.

Why is there a tiny textbox with hoe written on it?

your farm is attacked by demons at the start of the game

Is it really any different than spamming 2 or 3 abilities ad-nausea like in diablo? It's all the same braindead simple shit. The only thing that was linear in the first was the singleplayer experience, the multiplayer one is a completely open map.

DS was more about the adventure and the places you visited being elevated to extreme heights by the incredible score, while getting to meet some interesting characters and do some quests along the way. youtu.be/Rwks61-910c?t=32m35s

the loot in DS isn't plentiful at all, when on earth was the last time you touched the game?

Dungeon Siege 1 is only good for 1 playthrough because it has no replay value at all.

So DS1 is shit, but what about the second? Haven't played the Dungeon Siege 2 yet. Doesn't that make the combat a bit more involved and entertaining?

>tfw trying to play it on windows 7 and all you get is that pic.
I just want to see if its as good as I remember. I remember being so excited for it back in highschool, I even have the strategy guide from back when it came out.

Lad calm down. the game wouldn't work with Diablo's carpal-tunnel simulator gameplay anyway since you have to micromanage an entire party at once. which brings me to the real reason why ds3 is so hated. it removed a core mechanic of the series, that being the party management. I mean, what the fuck does dungeon siege even have without it? at that point you're just playing diet Diablo. and that's without mentioning all the retarded changes Obsidian made implementing shitty dialogue wheels.
and cop-op partners not gaining xp, I mean what the hell was that about?

>interesting characters
>one dialogue box then nothing for the rest of the game

Come on, now.

>Dungeon Siege
>an ancient evil awakens
Oh come the fuck on.

dude don't, dungeon siege 2 was great, 3 was bretty bad

I don't know why I liked it so much as a kid. I mean, the base campaign. The expansions and the mods are good, but I replayed the vanilla game some years ago, and it was insanely boring. I guess I just liked seeing all those D&D monsters.

oh dear lord, stop! i still have nightmares of that god awful game.

there are trees but there are still no abilities in the way the diablo players like, rather they're more like meter abilities that only can be used once filled, any party memeber that deals damage will contribute to all meters being filled, so all of your party members get to pop them off frequently. If you can't stomach the first don't bother with the second.

They were interesting because they were almost always voiced and had a distinct accent along with a story to tell.

Dungeon Siege is more of a party management game than a diablo-like. I'd like it more if the exploration and combat was more automated but you got more in depth control over the ai and more buffs/debuffs.

What I loved about Dungeon Siege was that it was gorgeous at the time and the world really did capture my imagination. Also I built a ton of little campaigns in the world editor which was great fun. I'm sure they were all terrible though since I was like 15 at the time.

I loved tycoon games and I probably owned all of them as a kid. As much as I loved the games, ski resort tycoon was god awful. First one didn't have a rotate button and money was made cookie clicker like where the more shit you had down the faster you would make it. Despite it the games where max comfy, surprisingly good graphics and style. Sad you can't pirate the games due to their bullshit drm and no one giving a shit.

Gemfire. Bland, shallow, and honestly not that great especially if you compare them to the other KOEI games like Genghis Khan and RoTK series.

Sonic 1-3
Don't get me wrong, I still play them, but only because I know them like the back of my hand. Playing through Mania only highlighted just how shit the mechanics are. Sonic should have been like Super Meat Boy with a focus on speed and rings should have been a resource for something like speed.

You faggots say what you will about DS, but what other fantasy hack and slash lets you wield a dragon miniguns, grenade launchers, flamethrowers and UNLIMITED POWER guns?

senpai has 219 bitcoin

I like it
the music is good

Forgot the image.

FUCK YOU OP AND HATERS

Dungeon Siege is an Epic RPG by Chris Taylor

>the game wouldn't work with Diablo's carpal-tunnel simulator gameplay anyway
Except it would, mongoloid. Any RTwP RPG or tactics game is proof of that.

>micromanage an entire party at once
There was no need to micromanage anything, dumbfuck. You set the autoattack mode and just let your companions bash random monsters. No form of "micro" was ever needed, because the enemies are just worthless autoattacking trash as well with no form of unique offensive of defensive abilities.

>what the fuck does dungeon siege even have without it
Nothing. Dungeon Siege NEVER had anything going for it except for the brain-dead, shit-eating fanbase. It's a dogshit game through and through.

>diet Diablo
That's the very definition of DS - THE worst Diablo clone ever made.

>changes Obsidian made implementing shitty dialogue wheels.
Obsidian injected actual roleplaying into the franchise, dumbfuck. Previous DS games were just shitty h&s games while DS3 has characters with actual personalities and choices&consequences.

Besides, DS3 is simply better from a pure h&s PoV than 1 or 2 simply because it has a superior skill system and actually fun bosses that use unique movesets and special abilities and require unique tactics to beat.

I think a lot of it had to do with when it came out. Like yeah it's terrible now but it wasn't too bad on release. I still like it tho :x
Multiplayer was fun
Music was 10/10

I think people disliked 3 because it was a big departure from the first two in the series.

not an argument, your opinion is shit.

>first companion
>hi I'm a scribe, Mr skeltal is scary pls take me with you

10/10 best writing of a generation

>big departure from the first two in the series.
Yeah, a big departure from two of the worst diablo clones ever made. The horror.

>Restricted Area
>fantasy
Nigger that's sci-fi. But anyway, neat game once you make it work on modern systems. Really enjoyed playing as the katana ninja samurai cyborg with his flying kicks.

Played it. Totally agree.
I loved some of the music in that game, and beat the hell out of it, but it's a slog to get through.

Now Wizardry 1, 2 and 5 are pure dog crap, and yet I play them every once in a long while. Why? Hell if I know, autism, I guess.

Dungeon Siege was my first PC game.

Looking back, it was pretty shit. But, I guess I didn't really have taste when I was 10.

not an argument, your opinion is shit.

Who said it was 10/10? It's just fun.
You know no one made you play the game or make this thread. Damn, why all the ragetism?

Dungeon Siege had a nice UI, I'll give it that. Really liked the Windows taskbar it had. Instead of the start button you had the pause button.

>mfw leasbians gathered online in Dungeon Siege to "cyber"
not even kidding
fun times

You said the characters were interesting, they're not.

Here's another character.

>welcome to stonebridge, I got drunk and need money. Gibs money and I'll come with you

Or how about this one

>thanks for rescuing me from being trapped in ice. Evil people are bad. Evil people are in the castle. Let's stop them.

Which characters were interesting in dungeon siege?

Also the second guy you're responding to isn't even OP. I never played diablo.

>>thanks for rescuing me from being trapped in ice. Evil people are bad. Evil people are in the castle. Let's stop them.
Wait a second, that was that mage guy with his staff, right? What the fuck was up with that staff of warding anyway? Don't recall it ever being relevant again once you get it from the goblin king.

his hat was pretty good tho

>they're not.
First I'm.not who you were replying to
And wet paint drying is interesting to.seome so you have kind of a shit point.
I'm pretty sure there were enough companions you could take on a multitude and you weren't restricted to the ones you're only indicating. some of them were slightly less shallow than you lead on, but I'm not saying they weren't totally shallow.

you're on an adventure to kill the big bad guy, what else is there to do? Not to mention you're grossly oversimplifying it to prove your point.

It wasn't

Well then could you explain your autism a little bit?

I've recruited a girl with a cute haircut to be my main marksman

>im not who you were replying to.

When I said 10/10 I was refering to the writing, I made that clear. You defended it, samefag.

This shit was my fucking jam. However I have yet to know anybody that played it.
It had great voiceacting thats for sure.

never even heard of it

It's pretty special because you will most likely have not gotten a single yellow rare drop up til that point, so in essence you're getting one of the most powerful staffs you can get with 0 loot rolling.

is everyone who disagrees with you a samefag, kiddo?

DS was solid at the time. The sense of adventuring and exploration was there, progression was okayish and music and atmosphere were top notch. Shitting on it just because nowadays it would be meh is just pantsu on head retarded.

I'm not the same guy, paranoid parrot.
Still don't see any one claiming 10/10 writing.

I'm a huge faggot for this game and id never say that.

Loved this game

Recently went through my junk at my moms place and found it along with my xbox

Plugged it in

Loaded up old save from 2005

It was glitchy, had bad controls, Terrible combat.

But man those ship battle were lit

>DS was solid at the time.
>two years after D2 was released
>complete lacks any form of active skills for melee or non-magic ranged characters
>solid
The only solid thing here is your brain.

>progression was okayish
>bash shit with your weapons
>your stats increase automatically with zero participation from the player, which eleminates the feeling of progression you get in other games in the genre when you hit a new level

>nowadays
It was trash at the moment of release.

Why don't you tell us where Dungeon Siege touched you?

give it up kid, you can dislike a game but that doesn't mean everyone has to kowtow to your way of thinking and agree with you, just face the fact that people enjoy different things you autistic lolcow.

Whichever one of you faggots said the characters were interesting tell me which one had a compelling story.

in my defense, there wasn't any RTS games with modern setting back then, so even this crappy conversion of E2150 was better than nothing.
Skirmish is playable, but campaigns are utter dogshit, I have no idea how I completed them

>dungeon siege was good
>no it wasnt for x, y, and z reasons
>lolololol what an autist stop trying to force your opinion on everyone else

>you can dislike a game
I can also present arguments why the game is dogshit to provide a picture to others who haven't played it and destroy the asses of brain-dead shit-eaters like you who think this shittiest Diablo clone ever made is actually "good".

>weeb pedophile
Well that explains your incredibly autism and general retardation.

>your incredibly autism and general retardation.

Well now I guess we know why you thought the writing was good.

interesting doesn't mean compelling story, the only character that got a real backstory was the wizard trapped in ice.

the only complaint being that a game isn't exactly the same as another isn't a real complaint, it's just saying you like one game more than the other.

they're not arguments, they're opinions, kiddo, maybe once you stop screaming at the top of your lungs for everyone to listen to you it will catch on.

>party buffs increase in duration based on your magic skills
Why don't more games use this feature? Fucking loved having minute long bloodlusts for the entire party.

Sadly still one of the best pirate games still, despite all it flaws.

>they're opinions
>DS lacks active skills for melee and ranged non-magic characters, turning the entire game into an auto-attack fest
>DS consists of linearly connected areas that create an illusion of "non-linearity" for the brain-dead, because the areas are not always narrow corridors
>DS curbs player participation in the level up process, which is an important part of any Diablo clone
>opinions
Lmao, you're more retarded than I thought.

>nteresting doesn't mean compelling story

Then how are they interesting? You convenietly ignored that post.

Dungeon siege 1 is easily in my top 5 of shittiest games ever. It was originally conceived as RTS, it clearly shows. Critics praised it for graphics, and MS definitely engaged in some money bag throwing. Playing it is simply torturous.

>Lack of active skills is good for party based real-time combat.
>Nobody ever claimed Dungeon Siege is nonlinear.
>Dungeon Siege is not a Diablo clone.

It's pretty good screensaver

Stop ignoring why dont you tell us what was actually GOOD about dungeon siege? It would be a nice change of pace from shouting THATS JUST LIKE, YOUR OPINON, BRO

>Lack of active skills is good
AHAHAHAHAHA

>for party based real-time combat.
>real time
>he doesn't even know his dogshit game is actually RTwP
>he doesn't know that there are many party based RTwP RPGs and h&s as well as tactics games out there that feature active skills for all chaarcters
AHAHAHAHAHAH
>Dungeon Siege is not a Diablo clone.
AHAHAHAHAHAH

You're literally brain-dead, there's nothing to discuss with a shitstain mongoloid like you.

The combat was fun.

this is a joke, right?

Right?

That's actually pretty good description for DS1

If you grow up then you will realize the clickfest shit like Diablo is garbage.

>Diablo is garbage
Remember what I've said about the DS fanbase in the second post ITT? I wasn't exaggerating.

when are you going to understand your opinion is worthless and no matter how many times you say it, it wont ever change from an opinion into a fact?

because they give a good, simple reason why they would like to travel alongside you.

holy shit, it's a different person again, how are you people getting so worked up, this is pathetic lmfao.

your posts have been reeking of reddit ever since you started your literal shit spewing. WAHH WAHH, EVERYONE HAS TO THINK THE SAME AS ME REEE.

>Diablo clone
Do you know there is a genre called hack and slash?
>DS lacks active skills for melee and ranged non-magic characters, turning the entire game into an auto-attack fest
That's an optional way to play and IIRC you at least need one dedicated healer on hard mode post the second half of the game, simply due to damage. Even if you're chugging pots.
>DS consists of linearly connected areas that create an illusion of "non-linearity"
Congratulations, you simply don't like this game design, as it was intentional. I don't think it was made to trick people tho, as you seem to believe it sounds like it has almost a nefariousness behind it.
>DS curbs player participation in the level up proces
Again this is just you not liking the game design. I liked the leveling up process, I still do like that kind of system.

idk if I've seen someone sperg out so hard over a game they don't like.

Interesting/Compelling stories/writing is LITERALLY subjective. It's a non-point, stop trying to make it. *You* don't like the "story" (Or very much lack there of) or character's and their back stories/motivations. And they're there, light as a feather and as deep as a puddle but they're still there.

>people getting this mad over a sixteen year old game

You could just not play it.

>Pirates
>RPG
>Open World
>Diverse economy
>Bloodborne Combat
>Same Naval Combat as original post

Why cant devs make good games

But then how will they throw autistic fits over the internet about it?

>Characters are interesting because they're simple

lol

DS1 is so bad it deserves getting mad over even after 16 years

Your dogshit opinion is irrelevant, you have not presented even a single argument.

>That's an optional way to play
How is it fuckign optional where there are TECHNICALLY no active skills for melee and ranged classes?

>you at least need one dedicated healer on hard mode
You don't need shit, you can solo the game with a pure fighter in autoattack mode while using potions.

>you simply don't like this game design

>I liked the leveling up process
There was no leveling process, retard. The entire "leveling process" was literally "kill shit with x type of weapon or magic and get a corresponding statistic increase automatically". It had ZERO player involvement.

Your comments reek of someone who hasn't even played the dogshit of a game he's defending, you are the very definition of a brain-dead fanboy with a terminal case of nostalgia.

Just wondering where this is all coming from all of a sudden, did they announce a remaster or something.

Why do you keep saying "in autoattack mode" in all of your posts? Have YOU actually even played the game, bucko?
>there is no leveling process
>describes a leveling process
lol

OP here, as I stated in the beginning, I hadn't played baldur's gate until adulthood, by which I mean now. It got me thinking about dungeon siege which I enjoyed as a kid but now realize was terrible. Apparently others have similar opinions.

I seriously can understand enjoying it for nastalgia reasons alone but I seriously can't understand how or why anyone would defend it though.

>Why do you keep saying "in autoattack mode"
Because, unlike you, I've actually played this turd, retard. As a melee fighter or archer you literally just autoattck the entire game and set your entire to auttoack mode to hit weakest shit. There is zero party management needed in this turd, because all of the mobs are literal trash with no tactics required to beat them.

>How is it fuckign optional where there are TECHNICALLY no active skills for melee and ranged classes?
>Technically
I think you kinda answered your own question.
Also I just meant falling asleep and auto-attacking is optional, also I don't think it works for certain areas of the game/game types but let's ignore that.
>You don't need shit, you can solo the game with a pure fighter in autoattack mode while using potions.
You literally can't.
Well maybe on easy but I've only ever been that autistic about doing a lot of different runs with Arcanum.
>It had ZERO player involvement.
Aside from the using specific abilities to grow your character?
I get your complaint tho, I think you want an xp bar, for it to fill then you can put 3 or 5 points in agi/str/stam/ect. But this game doesn't do that, I'm sorry your tism prevents you from enjoying something that isn't a generic rpg leveling system.

That's funny I was going to accuse you of the same thing. I think we should agree to disagree. There is clearly no reversing your autism, and some people just liked a game you didn't. It seems almost specifically for the reasons you disliked the game.

>set your entire to auttoack mode
*set your entire party to auttoack mode