Is this game the greatest artistic accomplishment of the 21st century so far?

Is this game the greatest artistic accomplishment of the 21st century so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5PdpsfINA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

definitely not, what the fuck is wrong with you

>Video game's Citizen Kane moment

more like autistic lmaooo

Silent Hill 2, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Alice's Madness Returns, ICO / Shadow Of The Colossus or Rule Of Rose are better artistic achievements than DeS. Not like DeS isn't a great example of games as art, tho.

I literally cannot think of another piece of media where every single aspect feeds into the overall experience in a significant way.

>be 12
>shitposting on Sup Forums as usual
>see lots of this "demon's souls" game threads hyping the shit out of it
>some anons even imported the asian version before the US release
>"hardest game ever"
>everyone making inside jokes that only players would get, "git gud" still didn't exist (that was a dark souls 1 thing)
>decide to stop playing modern warfare and give this game a chance
>get a used copy and played it through
>found it mediocre at best, went back to FPSs

>2018
>be 19
>huge Souls turbonerd
>shilled the fuck out of Bloodborne because I bought a PS4 at release
>Got Dark Souls II and III as well
>I need to pretend I loved Demon's Souls because if I said what I really thought of it back then I'd be ridiculed
>Can't play it because I sold my ps3 and all its games when I got a ps4

fug.

who are you quoting?

I don't know if it accomplished anything, but i still remember DeS having the best community Sup Forums has ever seen.
Sup Forums's DeS community was 10/10 community of the year all year.
It was probably the last time i remember coming here and finding a group of people that didn't seem like the world would be a better place if they all suddently died tomorrow.

Over the years there's been a shit ton of revisionism and denial here to try to rationalize the entire anomaly by those that came here later, or straight up missed it, but i was there, i remember how amazing discussing this game and playing it with Sup Forums was.
I don't think we'll ever get those people back, they're all gone now, replaced by the lowest form of filth imaginable.
DeS to mke is not just a good game, but it's also a reminder of the last time Sup Forums was actually good, for me.
The servers going offline feel like a final nail in the coffin for this small thing that happened and never quite came back the way it originally did, it also feels like a final coffin in Sup Forums itself, every day i realize that part of Sup Forums is just gone forever.

I'm stuck here with the scraps, the rejecteds, all the people that just shitposted all day and nobody wants anything to do with, it's like being thrown in the junkyard and all you're surrounded with is garbage.

Nooone, I just wish I still had my triple.

>Buy a PS3 Super Slim
>Buy Demon's Souls digital(It's like 5 bucks)
>Play it before the servers go down in a few weeks.

>be me
>read sick blogpost
>upboat it

>buying digital

I bought this game 2 years ago and hated it, didn't play it after 1-1 boletarian castle. Picked it up again last month and fucking loved it and completed it. If I didn't force myself to play Dks1 I may have liked it instead of hating it hmmm

>>Play it before the servers go down in a few weeks.
I'm still mad they had the nerve to attempt to shut down the servers about 1-2 years after release. Fucking FATLUS.

>port/release never

still mad

Yes
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5PdpsfINA

I didn't like DaS1 visually, but gameplay was solid.
DaS2 was a piece of shit, i'll never understand how anyone can even remotely like anything about it, maybe build variety but so many core systems were utter trash.
DaS3 was tired, spent, and core mechanics such as poise and hyperarmor were changed dramatically while at the same time build variety was destroyed even further than DaS1, i'm convinced the only people that like 3 are complete brainlets that don't understand these games past the superficial layer.

This is about how i felt about all those games yeah

Say what you will, Souls is a solid franchise

Nostalgia: The review.
He touches on some important points, and I definitely agree that Souls game have become more gamey and less minimalist with time, but many of the things he praised about Demon's Souls can easily be found in following entries if you take your nostalgia googles out.
The problem is that he, and many other people, want to experience the same magic when they played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls for the first time. That won't happen. No matter how good following entries are, it will never happen.

nice meme did you get it from reddit

Saying that something is a meme from reddit IS a meme from reddit.

Bloodborne isn't a part of the Souls series

I miss dubs threads though

Not this autism again.

>Is this game the greatest artistic accomplishment of the 21st century so far?

Nah it's "Baby Blue" by Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno.

prove me wrong

Yes.

I can never take posts like this seriously.

You made the claim, faggot, burden of proof is on you, he doesnt have to prove shit

Miya himself heavily hinted that BB is a spiritial successor to DeS.
In the first beta footage Gascoine said "umbasa" when he killed you (a line that was later cut).

You're a brainlet if you think BB isn't tied to the souls series.
BB isn't tied to DaS, but DeS specifically.
DaS and BB are two different "directions" that both stem from DeS and not from each other.

If your justification has "but the PVP was great" anywhere inside it, you can take your (((opinion))) and shove it up your asshole.
If it doesn't, then you're clearly an idiot because otherwise there's no reason to disagree with me and you're clearly wrong.

There are multiple interviews where Miyazaki states that BB isn't related to Souls but headcanon faggots are gonna fag away regardless.

This. The game is good but not an artistic achievement.

If I made a game where you go to a mushroom kingdom, kill Bowser and save peach, but instead of Mario, the protagonist was a nigger, and the game was called Super Nigger. Would you say the game isn't a part of the Mario series?

a spiritual successor isn't a sequel, and beta footage is a fucking stretch; we're looking at the finished game

I get that you think a 3rd person action game is automatically Souls, but it isn't

It wouldn't be, no.

Yes, unironically.

the game isn't an artistic accomplishment of anything. it regressed third person action by fucking years of progress. the best part was the art design - everything else was pretty fucking half-assed and terrible.

>Miya himself heavily hinted that BB is a spiritial successor to DeS.
He straight up said the game carries the DNA of DeS.

so every From Software game with the moonlight sword is a Souls game and shares the same universe?
good to know

Your opinion is trash.
Even if we discussed this for days it would be questionable at best, i have a feeling i know what you mean with "regression" and it would end up with me calling you a complete retard.
What you consider "improvement" or "progression" is most likely some entirely subjective stupid shit that specifically caters to you but you find objectively superior because you have the mind of a 2 years old.

See, this is what I am talking about. These retarded exaggerations like saying the games are pieces of trash because they do that thing or don't do this other thing, and making a post with such a meme-tier structure on top of saying ''I am right you are wrong'', like a proper Sup Forumstard.

Learn how to communicate like a functional human being and I might reply to you seriously. Until then, here's your last (You)

Yeah well YOU FIGHT LIKE A KOBOLD

Then you are fucking retards who care more about a logo than what's actually within the games.
If you think that King's Field is nearly as similar to Dark Souls as Bloodborne, I'd say to get your head checked.

>These retarded exaggerations
There's been roughly 5 million threads on why DaS2 is complete trash, from core design to all the mechanics and idiotic changes.
If you don't understand that it's trash by now, you never will.

DaS3 was fucked because it didn't carry core mechanics from DaS1 in the way that combat worked, instead trying to (poorly) hybridize between DaS1, 2 and BB at the same time, failing at all of those solutions and ending up with an half assed, jankly system, with poise and hyperarmor especially being fucked and requiring dozens of patches to be even remotely recalibrated into a sense of normalcy.

Your opinion is rooted in ignorance, basically you don't know what the fuck you're talking about aside "oh i like these games".
You're a brainlet.

what about Otogi and Ninja Blade? they both have a moonlight sword, and they're 3rd person action games too
must be Souls games, so similar too

I fucking love souls games brah

This is my favorite souls game in the series.

Ok but for real tho, this is actually my #1 favorite souls game.

>many of the things he praised about Demon's Souls can easily be found in following entries if you take your nostalgia googles out.

Like what? wasn't his central point that later games took less and less risks and settled into a mold leaning on combat.

jk this is the best souls game ever made, best pvp too, afro would be proud

>if your justification is this one that would make it personally reasonable for you you cans shove that up your ass

How the fuck do you function in day to day life

You guys are such retards, jesus christ. I thought the Mario example would make things clear.
Bloodborne and Dark Souls don't have superficial similarities like the ones you are posting here. They are not normal action 3d person RPGs with a moonlight sword thrown there. They are almost identical in literally every aspect except for some very small differences. The differences between Bloodborne and Souls are the exception, not the rule, and they are even made by the same fucking person. Every dumb example you retards are posting fall into the contrary, and you keep patting yourself in the back like you are somehow proving something, unbelievable.

make way plebs, best Souls game coming through

the game director has flat out said the game is not connected to any other, you babbling retard

If you play souls games for the PVP or think core design elements should revolve around PVP balances you're not only a brainlet, but also a lump of cancer.
PVP in souls games should only be in function of invasions, interacting with the singleplayer component, wich is the meat and bones of the series itself.
In a way the online element only exists to enrich the singleplayer element, PVP for the sake of PVP is retarded.
Balancing around PVP is retarded.
Anything that -isn't- in function of the SP component is inconsequential and should never be given design priority.

> the game is not connected to any other,
Nor is Demon's Souls. I guess I could say Demon's Souls is not part of the Dark Souls series, right?

So tell me

Is Final Fantasy Tactics not a final fantasy game?

What about crystal chronicles?

Or type 0?

I mean gee they're all pretty different and have nothing too significant in common user, they cant possibly be!

Kill urself famalamborghini

>I guess I could say Demon's Souls is not part of the Dark Souls series, right?
You could and you should.

I am willing to be 50$ you are a faggot pirate that pretemds the only reason he doesnt buy games is cause he wants physocal stuff he would shelve anyways.

Well done

Final Fantasy Tactics
>Final Fantasy

see how that works, hun?

and that would be exactly correct, as correct as saying DeS isn't a part of King's Field, nothing more than a spiritual successor

Okay kid, but From (the word of god here, you're opinion is literally, objectively worthless) disagrees with you and regularly balances around pvp

Examples include but are not limited to Estoc, Gotthard twinswords, straightswords in general and just about all magic in the game

Okay, here's the burden of proof.

It's not part of the Souls universe. It doesn't have "Souls" in the title. It has completely different characters, settings and stories.

Guys, this ain't rocket science.

>it doesnt share exact same name so is different

RetardedWojak.jpg

So Bravely Default isn't a final fantasy right? Despite literally being catagorized as one? That's what i thought

> made by the same creators
> follow the exact same design philosophies as Souls with some tweaks
> same upgraded engine and mechanics
> same world design layout and experience system

> B-B-BUT ITZ DIFFERENTZZ!!

What do you even gain from making this retarded separation? BB and Souls are sibling games made for the exact same crowd with a thematic difference. DS3 even recycles some of BB's stuff.

It's not. Congratulations.

>It has completely different characters, settings and stories.

So does every final fantasy

The only two souls games to have changes revolve around PVP are DaS2 and 3.
Not a surprise they're the two worst one in the series and the two games Miya didn't really give a shit about and basically just giant cash grabs.

DaS1, DeS and BB didn't have their core design revolve around the PVP.
And they're far more respected and revered.
Thus you're wrong.

Yeah, even though Demon's Souls has the same gameplay as Dark Souls, is basically the same game with a different story, is made by the same people, and the only reason it doesn't carry the same name is because of legal reasons; we should still separate the two for an autistic detail regarding a logo.

People lump Bloodborne and Demon's Souls together with Dark Souls to compare the games, and they compare the games because they are obviously the same shit with very minor differences. Are made by the same company, and often by the same people. And were released on a small time frame after the series became established.
There's no reason to separate those unless you care more about a logo than about what actually happens in the game.

They're all called Final Fantasy though, faggot. I address that exact point literally the sentence before that quote.

Stop cherry-picking and admit you're wrong.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a Final Fantasy game, as said in the title, what's so hard to understand? Christ

spiritual successor =/= sequel
Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 is the Souls series
Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are standalone games, with DeS being a spiritual successor to King's Field, and Dark Souls being a spiritual successor to Demon's

Since when does canon define a game? If DS2 would not tske place in DS1 canon and didnt have the fire linking and undead, would it not be a souls?

You are retarded. There are many ways to link games together aside from canon. Gameplay, design philosophy, creative team, production.

The only reason Dark Souls isnt called Demons Souls 2 is because of the IP belonging to SONY.

>Giving this much importance to a label that serves more to marketing than anything else
Sup Forums, as autistic as always.

>made by the same company

understood, so every Square RPG is actually the same game

You can type as much as you want but there are 2 facts that make it impossible to be part of the series
>seperate IP
>no canon links between both of the games
Yeah you can lump them together for being similar but they are not the same series

I cant hear you with your head so far up your ass

>If DS2 would not tske place in DS1 canon and didnt have the fire linking and undead, would it not be a souls?

>If a game wasn't part of a series and shared the name of that series, would it not be part of that series?

Ding ding ding. Congratulations user, that is literally the most retarded fucking thing I've read so far in 2018.

NO IF DS2 WASN'T A DARK SOULS GAME IT WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED PART OF THE DARK SOULS SERIES JESUS CHRIST FUCKING KILL YOURSELF

So how do you fags justify the moonlight sword being in all these games huh? Doesnt count because "hurrr different names" right?

Fucking retards

Well, not like it has much competition since Art died in the 19th century.

>Let me ignore all his points and cherry pick one to make it seem like I actually replied to him
Cancer.
>Not same series
>Let's ignore every possible aspect, because the only thing that matters is the name and story connections(in a game where story is an extremely small aspect)
Good to know that you are a good little sheep who lets marketing dictates what you think, instead of reaching your own conclusions based on observations.

So Armored Core is now a Souls game?

maybe you just can't find enjoyment in things anymore because you spend your days on Sup Forums jerking off to feminine penises but fighting the fact that you're a flaming homosexual?

guys this is clearly a Souls game, made by the same company you guys, very minor differences you guys can't you see that?

what are you trying to say? the moonlight sword is in every fucking game, including Otogi, Ninja Blade and even Armored Core
are they all Souls games?

It's called a fucking reference. Using that argument I could basically say Dark Souls is in the Beserk universe.

Fucking retards.

You're arguing against fact

> I quote things someone didnt say and make up my own definitions for what counts as a sequel and win a fictional argument versus myself

Cute, babby's first strawman.

Also, Final Fantasy.

You are really, really stupid and probably underage.

What fact? The fact that the developers used a different name for marketing purposes or legal purposes, but knew they were making the same game under a different brand, this fact?

>the developers know less about their own games than me

It's a different IP and there are no events that canonically link the story, I won't repeat myself again

>> I quote things someone didnt say and make up my own definitions for what counts as a sequel and win a fictional argument versus myself

It was an exact fucking quote, taken from >UUUUUUH I DIDNT SAY THAT NO NO NO -AUTISTIC FLAPPING-

There are no Souls series. There's Dark Souls series and Demons Souls is not a part of it.

Same structure, same hooks, same concepts, and a few changes here and there.

Mechanically, Bloodborne is built on the foundation of Demon's and Dark Souls

Just because Bloodborne isn't called Blood Souls doesn't mean its not a "Souls" or "Soulslike" game

Catherine is a greater artistic achievement

>What fact? The fact that the developers started a different series for marketing purposes or legal purposes, but knew they were making a similar game under a different brand, this fact?
Yes.

I agree DS is a successor but there's nothing for BB to success it doesnt replace Dark Souls its part of tge same sphere of Souls games. It seems you make a very stupid separation of games based on how they are called. Which is really shallow and slightly autistic. There are plenty game sequels that dont carry a 2 in their name.

You are actually mentally handicapped. Sad.

Find me your second quote. Cmon. Find it.

>built on the foundation

you really are stretching, aren't you? they have a term for that, it's called a spiritual successor, and a spiritual successor is not a sequel or it would be called a sequel
stop trying to change language to fit your headcanon