Does Sup Forums actually think MGS is a well written game or is it just a massive ciclejerk?

Does Sup Forums actually think MGS is a well written game or is it just a massive ciclejerk?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vkkp0jwZSbM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

both

>29657▶
>Does Sup Forums actually think MGS is a well written game

yes

>is it just a massive ciclejerk?

yes

only mgs2fags take the story seriously, the others loves mgs for the cool designs and themes

>Does Sup Forums actually think MGS is a well written game
Nobody said that. The general consensus here is that the whole Metal Gear universe is an inconsistent clusterfuck you dumb newfag.

not well written but great writing for a game. It is the writing of an over the top action movie in a game, which was pioneering at the time as very few games were imitating movies at all.

i'm playing through it right now for the first time. it's a weird wet and wild game and i love the boss fights

I just loved the fact that in the end, Metal Gear was a fucking huge mecha.

He's shit, but he's still better than all the other "auteurs" in the game industry. Anyone would look like a genius next to Cage or Molyneux.

1 was good as a spy fiction
2 was good for the final tweest and commentary
3 was good for the movie feel
4 did what it could for closing the story, but it cut down on the gameplay in favor of exposition

Anything later is needless prolonging.
Portable Ops was filler (but recruiting people was actually done better than lolton)
Peace Walker started with the anachronisms (zeke, or literally any AI weapon would shit on MG1's MG), but the story was enjoyable
Ground Zeroes was great but literally length of Tanker chapter for price of full game
TPP was degradation of GZ depth of gameplay (the AI wasn't tailored to closed area) and started with the emoney
Survive is literally endless mobage grind for parts and energy with food/water/meds/oxygen functioning only as barriers to playing easily staved off by emoney

outlier:
Revengeance was good since it just said fuck you to the whole mess of storyline, took one of the worst characters to date and made it an enjoyable experience.

It's a mess of a franchise with motifs and inspirations drawn from popular Hollywood movies. Kojima could have been de facto sued by John Carpenter, but Carpenter decided not to sue Kojima on his own choice.

I quite like the story of the first one, but the rest are... eh. To me, MGS1 feels like the ending of a story (which I guess it is if you played the earlier Metal Gear games), and the rest feel like some weird spin-off.

>metal gear
>well written
>the same franchise that tries to be serious but also has a fucking cardboard box, fart jokes and highly unrealistic dumb shit at the same time
Fuck no, it's shit.

no u

The beauty of Metal Gear is that it has very memorable bosses. Almost every single one of them has a story.

Problem with MGS4 is it was Fan Service: the Game only Konami really asked for because MGS printed money.

it's not well written, it's fun. like the torture scene and the thing with the ketchup. and all the sniper wolf stuff is grade-A feels. staring at meryl until she slaps you, the box in truck thing when it wasn't a recurring joke, psycho mantis and reading your controls/ the hideo controller swap thing. the part where all those soldiers have been killed by grey fox and you're like 'oh shit'. it's not good writing like it's a movie or something it's good video game.

Decoy Octopus.

There's nothing well-written about him or what he does/did.

So all of those elements that goes against the potential for a good story and a good narrative are somehow desirable for you? No wonder video games will never strive to be anything besides toys for mainchildren.

MGS1 was well-written by 1998 standards, but then Kojima's ego got inflated and he made each successive game (barring MGS3) a bigger clusterfuck than the last.

Which game/games do you consider the current or most recent standard that developers should be striving for? I'm not confronting you, I'm genuinely curious.

>If it's fun, it is not good.
Why ?

>mgs
>well-written
Said no one ever, it's like something a teenager would write during high school, it's not even remotely well written, it's just told in a really clumsy way which most people mistake as complex and deep storytelling.

games are toys not movies. i was reading that book ender's game which has a like scifi video game in it, and it was written like when pong was the video game. and it's this like this vast fantasy game with all sorts of interesting challenges and fights and puzzles and stuff. now that we have the technology to make a game like that what games do we make? a single game loop, some variety in terrain some dialog and cutscenes. that's what 'well written' gets you in video games, trash.

Circlejerk
it's all complete nonsense that kojima just makes up as he goes along

It's not about fun, it's about delivering a thought provoking story on the same lines as books or movies. If it fails that, it is nothing more than a toy and toys are nothing more than a fleeting tool for children to play around with until they grow up and learn to enjoy something that can enrich their thinking and lives. Video games fail this because manchildren refuse to let go of their archaic ways, never grew up to deal with change in their lives and insist on this childish notion of "fun". It's pathetic really.

>reddit meme
opinion discarded

MGS 1 and 2 are stylistically and thematically impressive for the time and set new industry standards for cinematic and postmodern storytelling in video games, but the actual writing is just serviceable and pretty clumsy at times.

That's a problem with video games in general though.

Yeah. Story is a good example of a simple event-driven scenario plot, the situation doesn't stay the same for long, and you're always anticipating what happens next. The plot twists were fun. They make a big plot hole, but it was worth it. Likeable characters on both sides with good dialogue that uses a lot of detailed information to give the setting believably, and there's a lot optional conversations so you can connect with the characters as much as you like. And I liked the melodramatic shit at the time, not sure how I'd feel about it if I replayed. Might be a little cringey now.

MGS is literally cobble together from other things, even the music. youtu.be/vkkp0jwZSbM It is cobbled together well though and it's the right amount of cheesy.

Did you recognize him?

Thought so

Love it when faggots call MGS writing shit and absolutely WILL NOT come with an example of a game with a good plotline

It's no different than a cheesy John Carpenter movie or 80s action flick.

1-3 are well written
everyone else after is not

Doki Doki!

So it's mindless trash only suitable for the lowest kind of people and should be disregarded for better?

The reason MGS2 and later are so strange/convoluted is because that was when Kojima got full control over the script and plot. In MGS he didn't have as much free reign and the localization team fine tuned it.

Only a pseudo intellectual with a single track mind would say something like this. Drop the pretension and learn how to appreciate the value in all things user.

I keep wandinerg into these threads assuming someone might have a sensible opinion. But the fact people will seriously try to cite sci-fi in a sci-fi series, any deliberate tonal inconsistency, or any """plot hole""" as a reason for the writing being bad is some astuonding level of asshattery.

I don't give a shit about Metal Gear plot quality but if you're going to criticize it at least try not to come off as a fucking dumbass who looks like they just got into midde school and are trying to critique their first story.

It has nothing to do with the localization. I played MGS1 in Japanese and it was just as normal as the English dub.

MGS is the kind of thing that you think is deep and intelligent... when you're 14.

Things went downhill with MGS4 for sure.

I like it for what it is; the closest thing to a good Rambo/Terminator/Die Hard video game we will ever get

OP it was 1999 and was a game about a cool gruff voiced badmab sent in against his better judgment to go be a spy and a solider man. The second you got there he had a cool tool to speak to people and the music was atmospheric as fuck. The visuals were nice for a PSX game and hiding around corners as bad guys came was tense as fuck. THEN just as you thought this was realistic as fuck you realise the bossess were fucking anime characters, an invisible robot comes out of nowhere and spooky deaths happen for no reason backed up by more spooky music. Then you meet an 18 year old teenager in her underwear eho doesnt wear a bra.

I tell you in 1999 we didn’t give a FUCK if it was well written or not, it was cool as fuck.

You would know. No one thinks it's deep or intelligent. The story is dense and convoluted, that's why people like talking about it.

>defeat a boss you never met before in your life
>suddenly starts to talk to you about his/her hard life
"""good writing"""

this post really made me think

>In MGS he didn't have as much free reign and the localization team fine tuned it.
It's funny how EOPs who never actually played the Japanese version of MGS1 believe this. As if localization is a magical process that changes the context of a product when it's really just rewriting a script from one language to another while making sure it doesn't sound like it came from Google Translate.

The only real difference between Jap and English MGS1 was changing a few of Mei-Ling's Chinese proverbs and the games referenced by Psycho Mantis (since Tokimeki Memorial, Snatcher and Policenauts were never released outside Japan on PS1).

1 and 3 were on the well written but odd scale, the rest is circle jerk

it's almost like something from the 80s that Kojima grew up on and enjoys... hmm...

I enjoyed MGS1, that doesn't mean it's good writing

Sup Forums is 100% satire. Everything we claim to love we actually hate, and everything we claim to hate we actually love. If you think anyone posting here is being honest you're a retard.

>tells people to not believe other people posting here
>in the same post that tells people to believe what he's saying
Retard

The later but that doesn't mean the story is bad.

It's a convoluted mess that gets more and insane and harder to make heads and tails of the deeper you delve in it, since every game rather added more shit that hardly possibly can fit the timeline instead of clearing it up but it still had great characters, emotional moments, over the top action and premises, thought inspiring WOKE themes and all in all it never actually took itself that seriously, which rounded it off well.

I think it's well written in the way a good action movie can be well written. Not everything needs to be literature.

Fucking cringe. You're no where near as smart as you think you are. Maybe once you finish high school you'll grow out of this pretentious shit.

Why do you assume I care about your shitty opinion as if what you said is even marginally relevant to my post.

Fuck off, retard.

>If you think anyone posting here is being honest you're a retard

Literally why we are now infested with pol kiddies and b spam.

I only come here anymore for r34 of games I'm playing and memes.

>games aren't about fun
>games are about their stories
get a load of this guy

If I hurt your feeling, I sincerely apologize. It wasn't my intention to make you upset.

I hope you have a great day :)))

Thanks

It has many great moments but i can't say it's well written with all those plotholes, inconsistencies, changes in tone and cheesy dialogues.

Well written? No. Explores interesting themes, can have emotional impact, and has well done cinematics? Absolutely.

Most japanese do not write well for western standard (hell, not even just common sense standard) because they combine simplicity in content with overcomplicated presentation/exposition. When they add complex content, the mixture is just explosive and everything start falling apart. But as watching a train crash in slow-mo, their productions are amazing and enjoyable nevertheless.

The series is a mess. It's a very entertaining mess though, and there's nothing else like it.

They should be something that you get out of it by the end of the day. Enjoyment and fun are only things to occupy yourself when you're waiting for something, a time waster. It's pathetic to see when you have a potentially deep story about the dangers of nuclear weapons but somehow have lowbrow and cheap comedic values like dialogue about a grown man talking about cardboard boxes or perhaps the most banal of them all is a talking cat from another lowbrow and childish video game series about hunting dinosaurs that completely detracts from the original message of the game.

MGS 1 is basically a Blade Runner clone
MGS 2 has a great story
MGS 3 is like MGS1, this time a 007 clone
MGS 4 is an unnecessary mess
MGS PO is decent
MGS PW and V are just AIDS

The first MGS is well written and MGS2 is a weird experiment that requires you play the first one to understand its meta narrative yet has an over all solid story. MGS3 is where the series plot starts to trail off into absurd nonsense although it is MUCH more subdued that the games that come after it. MGS4 is the "End of Eva" of the series, Its a complete train wreck that is both equally loved and hated by fans of the series for a multitude of reasons I don't want to get into. MGS5 has no writing; the plot is flimsy and unfinished and all of the characters have either been flanderized or just don't talk.

I don't know why 4 gets so much shit, sure the actual story in the game was pretty dumb yeah but the theme was pretty good distopia in of itself and the later half wrapped up most loose ends nicely.

Metal Gear Solid? It's anime shlock. Metal Gear Solid 2 is well-written, all the moreso in the context of its release.

Mgs1 is bizarre and captivating on its first play through, leaving you instantly wanting more for the sequels. I got the deepest into 2 because at the time I took the story pretty seriously and tried dissecting everything. By the time the third came around the series was starting to unravel for me as I really disliked the story for Snake Water. Other than that gameplay is pretty fun and it's kind of a novelty game series to have said you played albeit being kind of campy and dumb. The little things and effort really shine through though. Repeatability isn't necessary but it's always tempting to go back and beat over and over again which I've done quite a bit for Sons of Liberty in particular