Fallout lore

For those who are experts in the fallout universe I wanted to ask if there was a computer in fallout 1 or 2 (I can t remember which one) that admits to launching the first nuke? You meet it and it tells you it launched the nuke because it knew it was gonna happen but just wanted to speed up the process. I know I don't have much to go on but I saw a video about it and can't find it. I'd appreciate if I can get some answers.

i think thats the computer from the GLOW
only thing that thing is good for is playing chess and beating you at it

It was confirmed in the Fallout Bible not to be canon along with most of the stuff it said.

If anyone but the human race and it's need for war starts the Great War, it's missing the point of the series.

it is also implied in 3: mothership zeta that the aliens implanted the idea.
and 4 implies china did it/retaliated
I like to think they basically went at the same time.

Didn't the terminal in NORAD in F4 said outright that missile launches were detected so they launched their own?

Wasn't there some sort of error in the detection so everyone started launching nukes?

I believe so yes
but then, why did -they- launch?

Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 is non-canon fanfic spinoff like Brotherhood of Steel

You mean like Tactics was until the butthurt subsided?

Are you thinking of the skynet installation? Thats more of an easter egg no?

>The end of the world occurred pretty much as we have predicted. Too many humans, not enough resources to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones.
This is all that needs to ever be clarified about this. If you haven't played 1 and 2, you need to understand that they had a largely different atmosphere and approach to The Great War then modern entries, especially FO1. The pre-war past was mythical and legendary, the nukes were rare and treated mystically, almost religiously. The past and its mistakes are ultimately irrelevant in this new world we found ourselves in. Clarifying details removes all sense of mystery and changes it into history, as well as kills the whole sense of "War, war never changes" - it's irrelevant who really started, how it went and was it about. What matters is that humans are short-sighted trigger happy morons, always were and always will be, and that's what ultimately caused the whole situation.

>it is also implied in 3: mothership zeta that the aliens implanted the idea.
Jesus christ, you'd think someone in Bethesda would've said "hey todd that would kinda go against the whole series don't you think???????????"

And memefest in F2 didn't go against the whole series?

Not as much as "yeah you know the whole moral of the game? the fact that humans and their obsession for war will eventually destroy civilization? the fact that even after the end humans still kill each other? well, nah, didn't happen, it was all aliens, ayy lmao, buy my game"

Aliens and ghosts exist on the first games

Easter eggs aren't canon.

>it's not canon if I say it isn't canon

Great, then Mothership Zeta isn't canon either. Problem solved.

No, an easter egg aren't generally considered canon, they're more like developer jokes.
An entire DLC, however, it's hard to not consider it canon.

so the plant from skyrim found in fallout 4 doesn't mean they're a shared universe?

>sidequests are now easter eggs
Well then, so are dlcs

I never said sidequests are easter eggs, Todd, what the fuck are you talking about? Have you had your meds today?

i like you user

>Aliens and ghosts exist on the first games, says one user
>Easter eggs aren't canon, says you
>ghost is a part of a sidequest in Den
>THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID REE

>ghosts and aliens are FACTUAL canon because I found THIS ultra forgettable sidequest that about only 1% of players find on fallout 2
>heh, your move... kid... buy my game...

huh

>ultra forgettable sidequest that about only 1% of players find on fallout 2
Confirmed for never playing F2. Don't ever post in classic fallout threads again, brainlet.

I'm gonna go and post on all classic fallout threads now, just for that.
Every single one I see, I'll post in it.

b-but muh aliens!

>that look
I want suck this devs' cock

>keep losing to the computer despite my 9 int
>played like 20 games
>fuck it I'm gonna pop some mentats for this shit
>finally beat him
>realize I just spent several days in one of the most irradiated places in all of Fallout >without taking any Rad-X
>only had two save files
>both of them past this realization
>keep dying to radiation poisoning
>had to start all over again
>mfw I had 1 int all along

out of curiosity, how does that relate to the issue at hand or how does that matter? they wre talking about fo3.
you're trying to defend fo3 by saying another game is equally shit but lets face it, it won't make fo3 any better

but brotherhood of steel adds cool shit and i desperately want obsidian to make fallout: motor city spanning from detroit to chicago so they can add vehicles and whatnot while also fixing east coast lore bethesda introduced

It kinda fits, an intelligent character so obsessed with proving his intelligence that he becomes an 1 int brainlet regarding his safety.
Congrats user, you made a character that fits perfectly in the fallout universe.

>quest doesn't count as canon because it's forgettable

Didn't the devs say that not all encounters and side quests were canon?

Nigga that was beautiful

Lel I guess you're right.

this is perfectly said. Leaving out details can make an atmosphere more foreboding and ominous, especially the event that made the world a shithole to begin with.

the aliens are referenced in every game but it was only a problem when we were told they started the war, which defeats the moral of the story.