Current and upcoming RTS

Hey there fellow RTS fags,

So the other thread got archived, and mostly turned into bickering.
Let's leave the lineage/history/changing of the RTS genre for other discussions.

For this thread, let's have a discussion about:
>Current RTS games, of the non-x4 variety
>Upcoming RTS games
>Current RTS developers

What is everybody currently playing?
What are your thoughts on current RTS games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HDB-8PA8_E8&index=2&list=PL0CB4D77ED7FB4EB1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What are some good RTS games for me to get started with?

>Upcoming RTS games
>AoE1 remake
>going to have virtually the same gameplay as the original but with modern OS support and high resolution support
>you can even choose the original graphical style instead of the remastered graphics
>...
>Windows Store exclusive

The low poly meme needs to die

this
a lot of people wanted it but wont buy it because windows store instead of steam

What's so bad about low-poly?

I feel it has a nice visual aesthetic, and also kinda serves as a reminder not to take video games too seriously.

Having fun is the most important experience of playing a game.

just indieshit and "HD Edition" remakes

it's a dead genre

Sorta like pic related, I had this as my mousepad for a while when the website "A.r.t.s.c.o.w." was doing the free promo giveaways.

A reminder when playing FPS games to not get salty or jelly, because we're literally all just playing pretend pew-pew vidya.

upcoming rts games: I hate them all

RTT, and TTT, are the future of this genre. "RTS" which is not strategic at all, is dead. Nobody actually likes autismforts except shitters who want to stomp the AI for 4 hours.

Could you even pirate it?

Yes

But if you're a legit owner you won't be able to mod it. Windows store doesn't allow mods. Welcome to the future of "gaming" the way corporate asshats intend it.

Do expect to pay subscription fees for both your OS and every game/piece of software you want to play or run in 5-10 years. Stallman was fucking right.

open beta started today, what do you guys think?

Never heard of it

How do you like it? Care to give a quick green review?

Nothing wrong with simple or cartoony art styles, but the textureless low poly graphics style lacks life and character much of the time. I look at a game like Kingdoms and Castles and just think how dull the smooth, undetailed graphics looks compared to the rich art styles of other RTS and city builder games.

I like it a lot. Hard to grasp how to play it well though, even the normal AI kicks my ass and I don't have a real clear idea why they always have more stuff.

Really surprised this came out of nowhere. I'll probably preorder it or at least wishlist it cause it's pretty impressive for a bargain bin studio.

I don't even get it, wasn't the AoE 2 HD was fairly successful on steam? Unless Microsoft brought a bigger bang to their buck I don't get why would they limit themselves from the steam platform.

>mostly turned into bickering

wrong kiddo, it was light disagreement apart from the anime nonce

generals zero hour
settlers 6
wargame red dragon
men of war
men of war vietnam
men of war assault squad 2
faces of war
men of war red tide
men of war red rising
men of war robz mod
men of war modern mod
battle of empires totaler krieg (fucking amazing)
men of war sirhinkles missions
men of w.... basically anything on the steam workshop

All the other game publishers want to create what Steam did, but they just can't grasp that Steam was successful because they were the first ones offering the right service, at the right time, in the right place.
I think Steam is as strong as it is, because their lineage comes from being a service for gamers to play games and mods together, before they even began selling. They were a community hub before anything else.

EA wants everyone to get on Origin
Ubisoft wants to run their own service.
Windows tried and shit the bed HARD with GFWL
GoG is probably the closest, but even they will never be as successful as Steam.

All these other companies don't give a shit about communities, and sure as hell won't stand for or support their games being modded, they are strictly in it for the money.

Steam, and Greenlight, have been a great boon to keeping a steady stream of fresh and interesting games, supported by community driven feedback.

>The next Valkyria Chronicles game was supposed to be an RTS.
>Ended up changing it to a hack and slash game.

When will Japan see the light and start milking their mainland neighbours for that delicious and as of yet unclaimed Asian RTS money?

Japan doesn't give a shit about rts and never will

>All the other game publishers want to create what Steam did

No, they simply don't want to give up 30% of all of their profits from the game to Valve.

If the fucking store worked properly, I'd gladly use it any time of the day over paying for the caviar hamburgers Gabe Newell stuffs his face with every day.

Need a good single player WW 2 rts bonus points for a soviet campaign

except literally all the pro rts players are nips

men of war

Valkyria Revolution was initially supposed to be an RTS game. You can look it up if you don't believe me.
And AoE was big in Japan just as in the rest of non-Korean Asia.

youtube.com/watch?v=HDB-8PA8_E8&index=2&list=PL0CB4D77ED7FB4EB1

men of war, if you don't mind the Ukrainian voice """acting"""

They're not nips you racist piece of shit, get your head straight

They're gooks

Yeah, Koreans and Japs are basicly the same thing right? Haha, "nip Nong chip Chong" haha am I right fellow Americans?

I remember playing a nip RTS once. Hundred Swords, I think it was called. Art was the only good part.

GoG is successful because it's the only one that actually offers something Steam doesn't; i.e. region-agnostic pricing and no DRM.

played it a lot a while ago so i just might get back to it, anything else in case i get bored too quickly?

considering korea was nip rape land for the last few centuries i'd say yeah

>just realized I got an invite for the beta
>cant be arsed to remember my microsoft account password

Competition will lead to valve taking a smaller scoop, but valve is still one of the 'least evil' companies to be running a distribution service.

Had EA or ubisoft done it first, you would be paying a subscription to use origin/uplay. On top of paying for the games, on top of a subscription needed for multiplayer just like xboxlive/psn, on top of some games having their own subscription service

So owning 2-3 games ends up costing you $50+ a month to all the various rent-seeking parasites

I love to play Men of war: Assault Squad 2 its really awesome. There are awesome mkods for it has great pvp and pve. also epic destruction

read a review that said it plays like coh, so I'll definately check it out.

Coh 3 is coming soon. I get surveys from relic every now and then and a month or two ago they were inquiring about what I'd like in the next coh.

Seems like they're thinking about
-more western front
-pacific front
-futuristic
-or alternate history.

personally I like any of these ideas as long as they take inspiration from coh 1 and not 2.

2 tried to be real, leave that to autism sims like men of war. Coh1 arcade style is way more fun. and please for the love of god, keep the u.i. crisp and clean and don't have it take up 40 percent of the screen

/subthread

Rusted warfare is pretty fun. 5 bucks on steam.

low poly low effort

>coh3
>more western front

surely fucking not, that's been the game since coh1 first came out in like 06 whenever it was

alternate his/ cold war is the way to go imo to at least make it seem more innovative if albeit a wallpaper illusion

I've tried the multiplayer but eventually always get my ass beaten.
My opponent once completely surrounded me with pillboxes and just waited for me to starve to death.

>Competition will lead to valve taking a smaller scoop

Except there's literally no competition right now and user's fully in support of it.

Valve may not be as draconian, but they are still a piece of shit of an online store company.
Their customer support is rubbish.
They only implemented the refunds because of Origin, and Origin's policy on that is still much more fair.
They regularly sell old games you can't even start, without a thought in the world.

I don't care for "what if", I only care about reality and that is much better off with Microsoft finally unfucking the store so I won't have to fund a fucking Dota 2 tourney when I buy AoE4.

That's just a ugly supreme commander/total anhilation, isnt it?

>play AoE1DE beta
>everyone in the room's got decent ping
>last spot is filled by Jamal on Taco Bell internet
>the match becomes unplayable

god I hope they restrict regions or something in the final release

>obliterates the command center in one pass

>my command center, nooo....
>ah well, i never liked my commanders anyway, heh

>Coh 3 is coming soon

I'd get excited, but after DoW 2, CoH 2, and DoW 3 I don't think I can. CoH 1 still exists. I still play it with my friends. It's still fun.

im not a furry but that flag waving mous is qt

k thats your opinion. Eastern front sucks imo, russian tactics don't make a fun game.

pacific is what im most interested in. not sure exactly how it could work, but maybe have like usa HQ start as a ship at sea and have JE HQ start at the center of an island.

Could make for interesting early games in where you choose to make forward bases and deploy units from

>cold war is the way to go

The problem is that cold war era warfare is so different from WW2 that they would have to either completely change the gameplay or comepletely throw away whatever semblance of realism CoH has. Check out Wargame if you want a fun RTS that does cold war pretty well.

What happened in the Cold War?

>russian tactics don't make a fun game.
>pacific is what im most interested in.

sure let's have a game that's even more one-sided and unbalanced.

I got almost 1500 hours in coh 1. I love it, but when most matches I play, either I win in 10 minutes or I lose in 10 minutes. There's times when I'll get a real GG that lasts 45 mins to 2 hours, but it's hard to find players that either don't suck or aren't completely aware of every exploit and tactic.

They're very scarce but I can only sing praises about the ones I've tried.
Age of Ethanols games are up there for fun value with all the AoE vidya. It's basically AoE crossed with the Blizzard campaign heroes and it works surprisingly well.
Then there's the Gundam game on the Spring engine. That one was also a lot of great fun.

I think the Japanese could make something great if they tried. Of course, they'd inevitably have to aim it at the Viets/Chinese/Koreans, since expecting good PC sales on their home turf is... questionable at best.

I dont fucking play game to have fun
I play games for the experience you piece of shit

absolutely nothing apart from commies sending a dog to space

in what way would a cold war be different to ww2 ?

>t60 needs to be 10 meteres away from the pershing to be able to fire
>sherman needs to be next to the tiger to fire
literally not much difference in gameplay

>coh
>realism
pahahahaha *snort* yeah.

pacific seems good for dlc rather than a full main game though

Has anyone played the gog version? How does it hold up i remember playing it for the first time and it was really fun

>I dont fucking play game to have fun

If the game is balanced 1:1 it won't be fun. axis has huge advantages over allies in coh 1, but I still mainly play usa. Well PE in particular. wehr vs usa is pretty balanced, but still tips in axis favor.

>region-agnostic pricing
And that's a good thing because?

what do you think about having naval and ground combat in the same skirmish? I mean I can imagine it, but I'm just wondering how it would play out. I don't give much of a shit about a campaign. coh1 campaign was simple and it was a decent tutorial for skirmish imo

are there any rts games like army men rts setting wise?

men
of
war

Are there any RTS games that ever pulled off these concepts well?

>Building/customizing your own units
>Including Air, Land, and Naval Units

>Controlling units on the battlefield from First-person/Third-person perspective

There are a lot I've seen come close, but they usually end up neglecting some aspect of the game that leaves the whole thing feeling incomplete.

>steals your last dozer building the command center
>steals your army

Warzone 2100
If you played it, what do you think it missed?

Does Impossible Creatures count?

Warzone 2100 is the closest I've seen to pulling the customization off. At least after it went open source and the community balanced it out.

God damn I loved the Stealth Gen's hijackers

men of war doesnt have toys atmosphere user

yeah i thought you may have meant *that* kind of army men after i posted it

>experimental spider
>map looks like a certain SupCom map
Hmmmm
But is it good?

Eh, the campaign basically plays itself. It had a lot of potential at the time and I looked forward to the sequel until Ubisoft turned them into the Far Cry studio. Oh well.

Wow what happened in the last few years for sc2 story to suddenly become a shitty soap opera between Kerrigan (who is now became dindu universe saver) and a washed up jim raynor who seem to lose some of his personality to become a blank slate (who I also can't unsee as a ride to hell retribution character)

I have a dream game thats MGS:V mixed with coh where players play RTS and have operatives that play like metal gear v and stealth is like snipers in coh1 where the unit is invisible to the RTS commander until his units spots them.

I thought it didn't feature naval units? jets?

WHERE'S THE EXTRACTION!

>>Including Air, Land, and Naval Units
ra2 is the only game that does this well

Cold war was basically exactly like today.

Proxy wars all over the globe - kosovo, yugoslavia, vietnam, etc. and a lot of spy vs spy crap that you will never hear about except to know some kind of spy vs spy crap happened.

It's called a cold war because there's no active fighting between the standing armies of the US and Soviet Union, but there is very much a war for political/economic influence over the world. The US finally 'won' the cold war through the collapse of the SU's economy, which balkanized Russia and basically ruined them for 20 years and allowed the US to become world Hegemony.

However, Russia picked itself back up from the floor and became a world hegemon contender again, alongside china. India and europe are also looking to be new contenders who, altogether will oust the US as current world police/hegemon. The cold war is back on as the US fights to maintain its influence in world affairs without directly engaging in MAD style overt war.

Honestly, this kind of cold war is pretty ideal. Minimizes loss of human life, and there's strong incentive not to push a nation too far, because civil war = terrorists with nukes, and outright war = everybody dies. So the goal becomes "destroy their capacity for influence and power without fully destroying them". This will change if one side or another feels they're somehow immune to MAD and that'll be when we get a hot war/nuclear armageddon.

Being able to recover veteran pilots was such a great feature, and spontaneous rescues/extractions were almost like a mini-game in itself.

I'm really disappointed in OpenRA right now, particularly with the aircraft crashing 100% of the time.
The community has now turned a minor detail of the game into a mechanic to be exploited 100% of the time, where now Yaks are more valuable for the damage they can do while crashing, than the fire support they offer against infantry.

It'd be nice where the crash-landing ONLY happened for aircraft if the damage being done to it put it within a range of -5% to -10% HP.
If overkill damage exceeds this, the aircraft should just be vaporized in the air with zero debris damage.

>Hmmm, that's a lot of anti-air, General. Think it will be enough to calm the fear?

aoe2

>proxy war in yugoslavia
>kosovo
buddy, the Cold War was over in 1999.

Hovercrafts and VTOLs.

This sounds a lot like today. Really makes me think.

i cant even bring myself to play broodwar again because of how shit the story was in sc2

>send chinook with col burton inside to rescue
>it gets shot down
>3 star pilot gets ran over
tfw

I've never played AoE 2, but I've heard great things about it.

As an older C&C fan, seeing some dude marching into artillery getting his shit instantly wrecked, pleases me greatly.

The SU collapsed in 1991, but continued subversive cold-war activities to keep russia down NEVER stopped.

That was my implied point in that post: Because of nuclear weapons and MAD, as a species we've moved from open war to covert war. We are in perpetual cold war since the end of WW2. Subversive jockeying for power and influence without direct confrontation is the norm, regardless of who is or is not KO'd at any given moment in history.

Only RTS I've enjoyed for the last couple years is Starcraft 2. I'm sure people on Sup Forums hate it but damn if I didn't love the campaign and playing with buddies.

>steals your addon

Some hate it, some like it, some love it.

What parts of the campaign, and aspect of playing with friends did you enjoy most?

what game?

i can hear the audible reeeeing just from this webm lmao

I know it's a hybrid but do any anons know if there's some PC games that play like Dragon Force on the Saturn? I don't really care if it's old shit from the 90's.

>the idiot didn't fly his own buildings away
Dare I ask what rank you're playing on?

H-H-H-H-HOLD THE LINEEEEeeeee

starcraft 2

I loved the mission design, I loved all the customization options you could use to tailor your army to your play style. I loved the mission variety.

Up until SC2, most RTS I had played were just varying kinds of "destroy the opponent's base" or "don't let your base be destroyed for X minutes".

People bitch about the story, but who cares. The campaign, as a game, was top shelf.

I liked playing COOP with buddies and multiplayer in general. Even though they sucked and I had to carry them it was a lot of fun coordinating and looking out for each other.

BOMBARDMENT

Has anyone played Afrika Korps vs Desert Rats? How is it compared to Codename: Panzers?